P&O Price Promise Radio 4 investigate

Thejuggler

What you describe is nothing to do with Vantage fares. This has been going on for a couple of years, people moved from accommodation they had chosen to an upgrade which they did not want. Particularly bad on Azura/Ventura with some one moved from C deck with there very large balconies to A deck.

When you booked you should have been asked if you wanted an upgrade, if you did not want one then a box is ticked on the form. If you do not have the box ticked they will give you and automatic upgrade if one comes available.

The mistake in your case lies with whoever you made the booking. A TA or Cunard. Again nothing to do with Vantage fares.

Gan Canny

Dai

:cool:

I am sorry but you are incorrect since we booked online direct with Cunard and there were no options or terms relating to other 'Upgrades' - a fact since acknowledged by Cunard!

Since we opted for onboard credit it should have been apparent anyway and they did not advise us of the so called upgrade in any case.

I am sorry but you are incorrect since we booked online direct with Cunard and there were no options or terms relating to other 'Upgrades' - a fact since acknowledged by Cunard!

Since we opted for onboard credit it should have been apparent anyway and they did not advise us of the so called upgrade in any case.

No I am not incorrect. The facts I give are correct. I was not aware that you made an online booking. I have not seen any complaints from others who have had this happen who have booked on line. Only with TA's and very occasionally P&O. However this is still not a problem with the vantage fare system, as this procedure predates vantage fares.

Gan Canny

Dai

OK. I've been reading all these posts for some time now, and decided to give my thoughts.

We have an Azura cruise booked for late Nov, which we did early Jan.

I don't have a problem with the price we've paid, and don't really care if people book last minute and get a bargain fare. Surely that's what 'Getaway' was supposed to mean.

However, I do have a problem with these being offered for sale over 6 months before the sailing date :mad: I really think that is getting more people's backs up than anything else. Everyone with half a brain cell knows that they will sell cruises cheaper near the sail date, as they can't afford to sail with half empty ships. But this used to be done near or just after the final payment date. NOT 6 MONTHS BEFORE.

If they stopped that, I think a lot of the bad feeling would stop too. Just MHO of course.

Lou

OK. I've been reading all these posts for some time now, and decided to give my thoughts.

We have an Azura cruise booked for late Nov, which we did early Jan.

I don't have a problem with the price we've paid, and don't really care if people book last minute and get a bargain fare. Surely that's what 'Getaway' was supposed to mean.

However, I do have a problem with these being offered for sale over 6 months before the sailing date :mad: I really think that is getting more people's backs up than anything else. Everyone with half a brain cell knows that they will sell cruises cheaper near the sail date, as they can't afford to sail with half empty ships. But this used to be done near or just after the final payment date. NOT 6 MONTHS BEFORE.

If they stopped that, I think a lot of the bad feeling would stop too. Just MHO of course.

Lou

Agree, better still 8 weeks out.

Gan Canny

Dai

I don't think many have issues with the "book in advance or last minute" principle (Vantage v Getaway), as it's hardly a new concept, as long as it's clearly and openly explained, but it was introduced awfully by P&O and has only been clarified due to the massive outcry. If you book in advance for any travel plans, there are advantages and disadvantages over booking last minute. This is normal and customers generally understand the pros and cons of each.

It's the meaningless and misleading "Price Promise" that has thrown a boulder into the normally tranquil sea of P&O cruising and the Moneybox programme was specifically about the "Price Promise".

Hopefully P&O under the new management team will act quickly to sort out the issue and calm cab be returned to this excellent brand. But whatever happens, you can't please all the peolple all of the time.

Sorry, I probably didn't make my point clear enough. It was the price promise I was referring to with regard to the Vantage fare, which is what it is, and has always been advertised as such. The problem arose when P&O wanted to reduce prices to attract more passengers to certain cruises, but instead of reducing the 'Vantage' fare, and the people who had booked early getting the benefit (which to be fair, is what everyone was led to believe after all the advertising hype of 'price promise'), they reduced them much, much earlier than they normally would, but called them 'Getaway' fares, therefore totally different to the Vantage offer.

Lets be honest, what real money difference would it have made to them? Instead they made a huge, huge problem, and public perspective has taken such a battering it may take some time for the booking 'rhythm' to get anywhere near back to normal. Numbers are numbers - what's the difference between selling a cabin to a new booker 'cheap' or giving loyal customers who book early the same price. I know that car parking, obc etc is included in the Vantage fare, but lets be honest, how much does that's cost in real hard cash? They will negotiate fantastic fares on the buses, car parking will definitely not cost them what it costs us, and obc is now used before any Portunus discount is applied, so even that isn't worth what it was a few years ago.

My simple brain just thinks this could have so easily been put right, but it seems to have escalated into a commercial disaster area :eek:

Lou

No I am not incorrect. The facts I give are correct. I was not aware that you made an online booking. I have not seen any complaints from others who have had this happen who have booked on line. Only with TA's and very occasionally P&O. However this is still not a problem with the vantage fare system, as this procedure predates vantage fares.

Gan Canny

Dai

Dai I was simply sharing my experiences to illustrate that one cannot trust in the promise made of "100% peace of mind" made within the Vantage Fares offer as well as the misleading and meaningless Price Promise issues.

Again I would urge all of those affected to contribute to the Moneybox programme originally aired on BBC Radio 4 last Saturday.

I wonder has anyone referred the marketing material to the Advertising Standards Authority? If so the ASA may be able to obtain key facts such as how many bookings by passengers on the Vantage Fares as a proportion to Getaway Fares have been made to date and what % of Vantage Fares have been reduced?

Well, we booked in April '12 before the Vantage Fares came in.

We booked on the phone direct with P&O and opted for an automatic upgrade, but were not upgraded.

And when it came to booking the included free car parking at Southampton, CPS had never heard of us, so I had to get back to Reservations to sort it out and it was quite a hassle.

After our cruise, I wrote to Customer Services about all this and got a standard brush-off reply after about three weeks. I agree with a previous poster - they just don't get it!

I very much like the product - the cruise was fantastic - but P&O certainly need to sort out their pricing policies and Customer Service.

Dai I was simply sharing my experiences to illustrate that one cannot trust in the promise made of "100% peace of mind" made within the Vantage Fares offer as well as the misleading and meaningless Price Promise issues.

Again I would urge all of those affected to contribute to the Moneybox programme originally aired on BBC Radio 4 last Saturday.

I wonder has anyone referred the marketing material to the Advertising Standards Authority? If so the ASA may be able to obtain key facts such as how many bookings by passengers on the Vantage Fares as a proportion to Getaway Fares have been made to date and what % of Vantage Fares have been reduced?

But your example has nothing to do with the price promise, you just got an upgrade you did not want. That is a separate matter. The complaint others have is that they have not had an upgrade or extra OBC as promised as the price reduced. You problem has been mirrored over the past few years long before vantage fares.

If you did get an upgrade because of a price reduction then that is a sign of the price promise working.

Gan Canny

Dai

But your example has nothing to do with the price promise, you just got an upgrade you did not want. That is a separate matter. The complaint others have is that they have not had an upgrade or extra OBC as promised as the price reduced. You problem has been mirrored over the past few years long before vantage fares.

If you did get an upgrade because of a price reduction then that is a sign of the price promise working.

Gan Canny

Dai

It would seem that I am now suffering from your attention just like Skintman.

I shall post no more since I do not have the time or energy.

I would also urge all forum contributors to be wary of your contributions and motivations.

It would seem that I am now suffering from your attention just like Skintman.

I shall post no more since I do not have the time or energy.

I would also urge all forum contributors to be wary of your contributions and motivations.

I am simply pointing out that you are arguing against you friend. You are saying the price promise has worked. Although you did not like it. I have said that I agreed with skintman man even though he continued to have a go at me.

This is a forum for debate, that is what I am doing.

You clearly had something wrong, why am I not allowed to point that out.

Gan Canny

Dai

I am simply pointing out that you are arguing against you friend. You are saying the price promise has worked. Although you did not like it. I have said that I agreed with skintman man even though he continued to have a go at me.

This is a forum for debate, that is what I am doing.

You clearly had something wrong, why am I not allowed to point that out.

Gan Canny

Dai

Dai - I haven't heard you agree with me that the "Price Promise" was and is misleading and that it should be removed, which is the only point I'm making.

Some are more passionate on this topic because they feel they have been misled, whereas perhaps you have not and hence inevitably see it differently.

I was not having a go at you at all - relax Dai, as you say, it's just a forum for debate.

How much do p&o pay you too be their Internet (cruise critic )spokesperson

Dai . Why so defensive of p&o .? Take off the rose tinted glasses.

To be honest I wouldn't waste my time. We cannot ALL be wrong.

I've just been on facebook and the amount of people complaining about being 'had over' on vantage fares is unbelievable. Their facebook page at the moment is doing nothing for sales. Almost everyone is waiting until the last minute to book. I suspect the new management team will discontinue 'getaway' fares as a matter of urgency and publish a fixed fare to stabilise prices. It may well be that the last few cruises of the financial year sail with empty berths or people realise there aren't going to be any last minute bargains and book at the offered price. Interesting times for P&O.

Not enough.:D

Not defensive, positive.

If I took off my specs, I would not see.:D

If you do not like it - then that is your problem. You clearly have a problem if all you can do is through out insults.

Happy cruising

Gan Canny

Dai

Not very constructive Pete. Dai has the right to have his say, even if some disagree.

I would though like to see a comment on the actual topic from Dai, rather than just batting other peoples comments back to them. The topic is the BBC's Moneybox programme about P&O's "Price Promise". Let's hear some relevant comments on the subject of the thread.

My position is clear - the "Price Promise" was originally and continues to be misleading and should be removed. P&O's credibility will not even start to recover until they abandon this flawed marketing strategy.

Has anyone actually ever received anything back for a price drop of their

'Vantage' fare ? I have only heard of credit being given to cruises that were booked pre Vantage?Getaway

According to my travel agent the Vantage fare has gone up on my cruise

Azura 20th Oct Canaries so I should be feeling lucky that I booked it a year in advance :confused:

In my opinion P & O lead people to belive that there would be a good chance that the Vantage fare would drop knowing full well that it would never happen, that is why I booked early, I was onto a winner and did not have to worry about any price drops and wondering when the best time to book was

P & O should start dropping some Vantage fares, if they did all this would go away as they would be keeping their Price promise

In my opinion P & O lead people to belive that there would be a good chance that the Vantage fare would drop knowing full well that it would never happen, that is why I booked early, I was onto a winner and did not have to worry about any price drops and wondering when the best time to book was

P & O should start dropping some Vantage fares, if they did all this would go away as they would be keeping their Price promise

i have to agree with all of this even though i know it could well affect the prices on my cruising, i'm one of those late bookers who has got some lovely prices lately but i have to say i don't think it's fair to people who have paid Vantage fares.

Has anyone actually ever received anything back for a price drop of their

'Vantage' fare ? I have only heard of credit being given to cruises that were booked pre Vantage?Getaway

According to my travel agent the Vantage fare has gone up on my cruise

Azura 20th Oct Canaries so I should be feeling lucky that I booked it a year in advance :confused:

You are correct on this. My OBC came because I booked before the Vantage fare was introduced. I just can't believe how P and O has got away with this.

But Fred Olsen has been told to stop advertising their "price promise": http://www.asa.org.uk/Rulings/Adjudications/2013/4/Fred-Olsen-Cruise-Lines-Ltd/SHP_ADJ_216373.aspx

Mary

That makes for interesting reading. Despite Fred covering late availability price reductions in their terms the headline 'Book now and get the best deal-guaranteed" was deemed misleading. In P&Os circumstances their headline is a bold 'Price Promise Protection' and their terms spell out that it doesnt apply to getaway fares. I think they would struggle to defend this given the ruling against Fred.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

'You are correct on this. My OBC came because I booked before the Vantage fare was introduced. I just can't believe how P and O has got away with this.'

I never got anything :(

Scriv, when did you book? I had quite a substantial amount which I knew nothing about until the letter arrived. I booked beginning of May 2012 for a cruise July 2013. Is it worth a phone call to P and O?

Archived