Paying More Than $12 Per Day Gratuities

I posted this earlier today on a thread about WOW envelopes and thought it warranted a thread of its own even though it is 'another' gratuities thread.

I know this is me in the minority and a lot of you will have seen my views on tips before but...........

I am always surprised such as on a couple of threads this week when people regularly say they tip the stateroom attendant, waiter and asst waiter more than the shared $12 per person per day.

If you add up how much they are earning they are on a real good whack based on the number of rooms or tables/people being served.

I really do think $84 per week for a double occupancy stateroom is a very good rate when our last stateroom attendant serviced 12 rooms on IOS - a staggering $1,008 per week.

Thanks - Happy Cruising :-)

I know this is me in the minority and a lot of you will have seen my views on tips before but...........

I am always surprised such as on a couple of threads this week when people regularly say they tip the stateroom attendant, waiter and asst waiter more than the shared $12 per person or day.

If you add up how much they are earning they are on a real good whack based on the number of rooms or tables/people being served.

I really do think $84 per week for a double occupancy stateroom is a very good rate when our last stateroom attendant serviced 12 rooms on IOS - a staggering $1,008 per week.

Simply put, each steward does not get the entire amount. It is shared with other housekeeping employees.

Like it or not it is the way it is and if some of us give more that is our business and none of yours!!!

As with other items related to cruising such as additional costs for specialty restaurants one is not required to do it. So, do it or don't.

I posted this earlier today on a thread about WOW envelopes and thought it warranted a thread of its own even though it is 'another' gratuities thread.

I am always surprised such as on a couple of threads this week when people regularly say they tip the stateroom attendant, waiter and asst waiter more than the shared $12 per person per day.

You are basing your $1008 per week on the assumption that every one of the 12 staterooms is full AND everyone pays the recommended tips,I personally doubt that that is the case every week.

So while $52000 a year is not a bad wage, that allao assumes that the state room attendents work 52 weeks a year, which they do not. So lets take a 8 month on 2 month off contract, that means that most years they work 10 months in a year, that drops the $52000 to $40000, not such a good wage, and there will be occasional years then the 8 months on is in the middle of the year, so they only work for 8 months, that drops their pay to $32000 a year. Also bear in mind that the SRA's have "helpers" on turnaround day that they pay out of their own pocket.

Still not a bad wage, the US poverty level for a family of 4 is $23550, but not a huge wage, seeing as they work 7 days a week for 8 months, and are away from their family and friends for that length of time.

So provided every room is full and everybody pays the recommened tips, then, it is an OK wage, nothing more.

Simply put, each steward does not get the entire amount. It is shared with other housekeeping employees.

Like it or not it is the way it is and if some of us give more that is our business and none of yours!!!

As with other items related to cruising such as additional costs for specialty restaurants one is not required to do it. So, do it or don't.

It is your business. I totally agree.

But I can hold a view whether you agree or not and this is what freedom of speech is for and cruise critic forums are for, to allow us to share this in healthy debate.

Thanks

You are basing your $1008 per week on the assumption that every one of the 12 staterooms is full AND everyone pays the recommended tips,I personally doubt that that is the case every week.

So while $52000 a year is not a bad wage, that allao assumes that the state room attendents work 52 weeks a year, which they do not. So lets take a 8 month on 2 month off contract, that means that most years they work 10 months in a year, that drops the $52000 to $40000, not such a good wage, and there will be occasional years then the 8 months on is in the middle of the year, so they only work for 8 months, that drops their pay to $32000 a year. Also bear in mind that the SRA's have "helpers" on turnaround day that they pay out of their own pocket.

Still not a bad wage, the US poverty level for a family of 4 is $23550, but not a huge wage, seeing as they work 7 days a week for 8 months, and are away from their family and friends for that length of time.

So provided every room is full and everybody pays the recommened tips, then, it is an OK wage, nothing more.

Of course, almost zero percent of the folks working the service positions are from the US so the poverty level in this country doesn't really mean much. A $40000.00 wage in some of those countries is huge.

To the OP

I am sorry, I just don't get why anyone would not want to pay their tips.

These people work extremely hard and deserve their money, and yes I always tip extra.

I think cruising may not be for you.

Out of the $12 per person per day suggested gratuity, the stateroom attendant gets about $4 per person per day, maybe a bit more since the $0.35 increase this past March. Assuming 12 staterooms and 2 people per stateroom, that's between $672 and $730 per week.

To the OP

I am sorry, I just don't get why anyone would not want to pay their tips.

These people work extremely hard and deserve their money, and yes I always tip extra.

I think cruising may not be for you.

I haven't mentioned not paying my tips ???????

I always pay the suggested amount of tips. I'm confused where you picked up that I don't pay my tips?

Thanks

Out of the $12 per person per day suggested gratuity, the stateroom attendant gets about $4 per person per day, maybe a bit more since the $0.35 increase this past March. Assuming 12 staterooms and 2 people per stateroom, that's between $672 and $730 per week.

Can I respectfully ask how you are aware of this Bob please as this isn't what our stateroom attendant told us on IOS in May.

Thanks a lot.

Funny how you worded that, why is it anyone else's business then if people pay no or less gratuities (not just on cruises)? Just curious.

I pay my recommended gratuities btw.

Can I respectfully ask how you are aware of this Bob please as this isn't what our stateroom attendant told us on IOS in May.

Thanks a lot.

This was the daily per person distribution of gratuities before this past March:

$5.00pp per day for Housekeeping Staff ($7.25 if in a GS or above)

$3.75pp per day for Waiter

$2.15pp per day for Assistant Waiter

$0.75pp per day for Head Waiter

$11.65pp per day ($13.90pp per day if booked in a GS or above)

At that time, the stateroom attendant was charged $1.00 per day for "other" housekeeping staff, so the attendant only got $4.00 per day. I know this because we were told by stateroom attendants and officers.

Since Royal raised the gratuities $0.35 per person per day this past March, I've not seen a revised distribution for gratuities, so I computed the amounts in my previous post by using $4.00 and $4.35 for the amount the stateroom attendant gets.

When you look at it like that:)

I was just saying to hubby having just been out for fathers day.

The waitress is being tipped between £3-£5 a table,shes in charge of 6 tables.

She keeps her own tips.

The turn around is about an hour and a half.

Say shes on minimum wage of £6.15 ish.

Thats £27.15 -£39.15p every hour and a half for serving 6 tables.

So in an 8 hour shift thats £163.09-£225.79 roughly.

I still tipped though:)

It is surprising when you actually work it out.

My daughter runs her socks of in the zoo cafe for £4.50 per hour.

No one tips!

The numbers that you used are not correct. The stateroom attendant does not get $6 pp per day of the gratuity amount. Of the $12 per day per person only $5 in gratuity goes to the stateroom attendant. Of that $5 the stateroom attendant must give $1 back to the company to cover the "other" housekeeping staff.

Using your example of 12 cabins at double occupancy that means that the stateroom attendant keeps $56 per cabin for the week. Based on the 12 rooms at double occupancy that works out to $672 per week not the $1008 that you came up with.

Now the $672 per week assumes that all cabins at booked at double occupancy and that everyone pays and does not have the tips reduced or taken off completely. Not every week will the cabin attendant have every cabin booked so the numbers will vary. Also some will tip extra and some less so still the numbers will vary each week.

*** I see this has already been covered above. I posted & then caught up again so this has already been said.***

Consider this.

Stateroom staff work an average of 18 hours a day. 7 days a week. That is 126 hours. 1008/126 is 8 bucks an hour. That is less than minimum wage.

$8 is not less than the U.S. Federal minimum wage of $7.25/hr. There are about six states with a minimum wage above $8, but the crew are not Americans working for American wages. Their cost of living is much lower, and not just because their room and board is provided on the ship.

Thanks a lot.

These were the guidelines before it stopped being "recommended." I don't think they publicize a breakdown now.

Stateroom attendant: $5.00 USD a day per guest

Dining Room Waiter: $3.75 USD a day per guest

Assistant Waiter: $2.15 USD a day per guest

Headwaiter: $0.75 USD a day per guest

Consider this.

Stateroom staff work an average of 18 hours a day. 7 days a week. That is 126 hours. 1008/126 is 8 bucks an hour. That is less than minimum.

This is factually incorrect.

At Captains Corner on the Adventure last week the Hotel Director was asked about crew working hours. He said no member of the crew, cabin steward, waiter, ass waiter etc.. could be asked to work more than 14 hours. That is the absolute maximum. He said this is the maritime law they work under. The Hotel Director said the only exception to this rule is during an emergency when obviously there is no limit.

He explained also that RCI crew members clock in and clock out in exactly the same way as in land based employments. This allows the amount of hours worked by any crew member to be checked simply by a computer tracking programme. He said if this showed a crew member working over the maximum 14 hours their manager would immediately be called in and reprimanded.

So your statement that RCI service crews are slave labour - working 18 hours a day 7 days a week is just not true. Even the 14 hours is a maximum and not all will work that long every day.

The Hotel director also went into detail about the set down length of breaks etc . there are very strict measures in place to protect the crew members health and welfare.

This was the daily per person distribution of gratuities before this past March:

$5.00pp per day for Housekeeping Staff ($7.25 if in a GS or above)

$3.75pp per day for Waiter

$2.15pp per day for Assistant Waiter

$0.75pp per day for Head Waiter

$11.65pp per day ($13.90pp per day if booked in a GS or above)

At that time, the stateroom attendant was charged $1.00 per day for "other" housekeeping staff, so the attendant only got $4.00 per day. I know this because we were told by stateroom attendants and officers.

Since Royal raised the gratuities $0.35 per person per day this past March, I've not seen a revised distribution for gratuities, so I computed the amounts in my previous post by using $4.00 and $4.35 for the amount the stateroom attendant gets.

Thanks Bob. Our attendant said he got just under $6 per person, per day.

A bit of poetic licence I think. Lol

OP, don't feel guilty about not adding to the automatic gratuities. We very rarely give additional tips. Only once in a blue moon when someone goes beyond the realm of their job description for us. Otherwise, we feel that the gratuities are more than sufficient. This doesn't make us cheapskates (that would be someone who removed the tips, or reduced the tips, and gave less). Just reasonable.

OP, don't feel guilty about not adding to the automatic gratuities. We very rarely give additional tips. Only once in a blue moon when someone goes beyond the realm of their job description for us. Otherwise, we feel that the gratuities are more than sufficient. This doesn't make us cheapskates (that would be someone who removed the tips, or reduced the tips, and gave less). Just reasonable.

Thanks Donna

This is factually incorrect.

At Captains Corner on the Adventure last week the Hotel Director was asked about crew working hours. He said no member of the crew, cabin steward, waiter, ass waiter etc.. could be asked to work more than 14 hours. That is the absolute maximum. He said this is the maritime law they work under. The Hotel Director said the only exception to this rule is during an emergency when obviously there is no limit.

He explained also that RCI crew members clock in and clock out in exactly the same way as in land based employments. This allows the amount of hours worked by any crew member to be checked simply by a computer tracking programme. He said if this showed a crew member working over the maximum 14 hours their manager would immediately be called in and reprimanded.

So your statement that RCI service crews are slave labour - working 18 hours a day 7 days a week is just not true. Even the 14 hours is a maximum and not all will work that long every day.

The Hotel director also went into detail about the set down length of breaks etc . there are very strict measures in place to protect the crew members health and welfare.

You are correct.

The numbers that you used are not correct. The stateroom attendant does not get $6 pp per day of the gratuity amount. Of the $12 per day per person only $5 in gratuity goes to the stateroom attendant. Of that $5 the stateroom attendant must give $1 back to the company to cover the "other" housekeeping

This is not correct. If you look at the breakdown of the pre paid gratuities as published by RCI they show $6.35 cabin steward and "other housekeeping staff". The $1. 35 does not come out of the stewards $5. Your info seems to be out of date.

This is not correct. If you look at the breakdown of the pre paid gratuities as published by RCI they show $6.35 cabin steward and "other housekeeping staff". The $1. 35 does not come out of the stewards $5. Your info seems to be out of date.

Your info may be more recent that what I have. Is this on Royal's website somewhere?

The numbers that I used were correct minus the 35 cents that the amount has increased but not sure where that 35 cents is added into the amounts right now. The 6.35 you speak of is for a suite attendant. The example I used was for cabins that were not suites. It was my understanding that we were talking about non suite cabins.

The numbers that I used were correct minus the 35 cents that the amount has increased but not sure where that 35 cents is added into the amounts right now. The 6.35 you speak of is for a suite attendant. The example I used was for cabins that were not suites. It was my understanding that we were talking about non suite cabins.

Apologies I mixed up the amount for suites and non suites. My bad

Archived