Paying More Than $12 Per Day Gratuities

I just found a letter with the gratuity distribution from our last Monarch cruise, which was the end of March, after the $0.35 increase:

Dining Services: $6.80

Stateroom Attendant: $3.85

Other Housekeeping Personnel: $1.35

This would imply that:

Dining Services went up from $6.65 to $6.80.

Stateroom Attendant went down from $4.00 to $3.85

Other Housekeeping Services went up from $1.00 to $1.35.

I've no idea if this is fleetwide or specific to Monarch, but this is the only distribution of gratuities I've seen after the March 2013 increase.

I posted this earlier today on a thread about WOW envelopes and thought it warranted a thread of its own even though it is 'another' gratuities thread.

I know this is me in the minority and a lot of you will have seen my views on tips before but...........

I am always surprised such as on a couple of threads this week when people regularly say they tip the stateroom attendant, waiter and asst waiter more than the shared $12 per person per day.

If you add up how much they are earning they are on a real good whack based on the number of rooms or tables/people being served.

I really do think $84 per week for a double occupancy stateroom is a very good rate when our last stateroom attendant serviced 12 rooms on IOS - a staggering $1,008 per week.

Thanks - Happy Cruising :-)

Since you have nominated yourself in charge of what people should & shouldn't earn, do we all bow down in front of you, present our salaries, and hope that you deem it appropriate?

Backing up the OP's point of view, yes, IF the housekeeping staff is getting that much, they're making more -- a lot more -- than I do as a teacher with two degrees and 21 years experience in the classroom. And for a job that requires a willingness to work rather than any formal training. They're also not paying taxes, and they're getting room and board and uniforms for free, which means they could potentially save essentially everything they earn.

However, that ASSUMES that every passenger pays his or her tips, and having read so many "this is so much money" type of threads, I seriously doubt everyone pays. Not when passengers are able to skip out on tips without any consequence. I'd be surprised if, in reality, they bring home half what the OP suggests.

Regardless, I assume every crew member has taken the job knowing it's hard work, and I assume that each one of them has judged that this is the best option for his or her life. As such, our responsibility is to pay the suggested amount and trust that the staff is fairly compensated with that amount.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha Mattingly23 !!!!!!!

I think you will find I gave my opinion (freedom of speech) which is one use of these forums and which I am entitled to do by virtue of living in a democratic society.

I can't ever remember 'nominating' myself " in charge of . . . . . " but if my memory is failing me please feel free to show me when I did this.

Thanks.

Happy Cruising :-)

I think you will find I gave my opinion (freedom of speech) which is one use of these forums and which I am entitled to do by virtue of living in a democratic society.

I can't ever remember 'nominating' myself " in charge of . . . . . " but if my memory is failing me please feel free to show me when I did this.

Thanks.

Freedom of speech, in the U.S. Constitution:

a. pertains to U.S. Citizens, which you are not

b. is about the government's relationship to the people. Private companies can squelch speech pretty much as much as they want.

The Real question should be....What do we think is a fair tip?

Is the way RCI divides the 12.00 a day ok with you?

Do you feel the staff are being tipped fairly with this formula or not?

RCI came up with 12.00 a day and some feel it's enough, I do not, if given great service. We tipped more, as I feel it was not enough for the level of service we received. We only tipped extra for our cabin att. and our waiters. We eat MDR each night.

We also gave extra to our bartenders, they earned it!

Who do you think deserves more than is allocated already? Less?

I feel cabin att. and waiters work hardest for our tip money on a personal level. Do any of you tip Johnny Rockets servers? Show performers? Etc.

Would be easy to use the 20% rule if each expense were broken down. How much of our fare goes to food? How much goes to room?

Lots of things are included in our fare price that we don't tip for.

Freedom of speech, in the U.S. Constitution:

a. pertains to U.S. Citizens, which you are not

b. is about the government's relationship to the people. Private companies can squelch speech pretty much as much as they want.

No Merion_Mom but I am a UK citizen and we do have rights to Freedom of Speech as well.

You seem to infer that unless one is from the USA that one shouldn't share ones views or thoughts as only USA citizens are entitled to do this due to your constitution.

This seems very narrow minded and xenophobic.

And . . . . I do not agree that Freedom of Speech is about ones relationship with the government. We seem to be more broad minded on this side of the pond and view it as the right to be free and liberal and have freedom of speech in general.

The Real question should be....What do we think is a fair tip?

Is the way RCI divides the 12.00 a day ok with you?

Do you feel the staff are being tipped fairly with this formula or not?

RCI came up with 12.00 a day and some feel it's enough, I do not, if given great service. We tipped more, as I feel it was not enough for the level of service we received. We only tipped extra for our cabin att. and our waiters. We eat MDR each night.

We also gave extra to our bartenders, they earned it!

Who do you think deserves more than is allocated already? Less?

I feel cabin att. and waiters work hardest for our tip money on a personal level. Do any of you tip Johnny Rockets servers? Show performers? Etc.

Would be easy to use the 20% rule if each expense were broken down. How much of our fare goes to food? How much goes to room?

Lots of things are included in our fare price that we don't tip for.

If I strike up a rapport or relationship with staff such as cleaners, deck attendants, towel staff etc. I do give a small tip.

This is a departure from how I felt only 3 cruises ago (i.e. giving nothing at all apart from the suggested $12 per person, per day). I must be going soft in my old age.

Ha ha ha !

I haven't mentioned not paying my tips ???????

I always pay the suggested amount of tips. I'm confused where you picked up that I don't pay my tips?

Thanks

Sorry for my misquote

I am just really tired about the tipping thing., These people work long and hard at what they do and I believe they deserve every cent they get.

I have made many friends over the years working on ships, it is amazing about the costs they have to pay from their money they earn.

An example, think about what it costs them to go home for their time off and then come back to work. I use to think RC paid for all of that, boy was I wrong.

Sorry for my misquote

I am just really tired about the tipping thing., These people work long and hard at what they do and I believe they deserve every cent they get.

I have made many friends over the years working on ships, it is amazing about the costs they have to pay from their money they earn.

An example, think about what it costs them to go home for their time off and then come back to work. I use to think RC paid for all of that, boy was I wrong.

Thanks Patti

Thanks.

You are obsessed enough to make a feeble attempt at calculating what someone else earns.

Unless you are a room steward on another cruise line, I think this speaks volumes about you.

No Merion_Mom but I am a UK citizen and we do have rights to Freedom of Speech as well.

You seem to infer that unless one is from the USA that one shouldn't share ones views or thoughts as only USA citizens are entitled to do this due to your constitution.

This seems very narrow minded and xenophobic.

And . . . . I do not agree that Freedom of Speech is about ones relationship with the government. We seem to be more broad minded on this side of the pond and view it as the right to be free and liberal and have freedom of speech in general.

You are wrong. Again. And xenophobia is not in my makeup. I do not, however, suffer fools gladly.

You cannot assert a right to "freedom of speech" on a private message board. The moderators can and will delete anything that they believe violates board policy, and that policy is set by board management.

And this is a U.S. company, therefore U.S. laws apply.

You may start as many annoying and repetitive threads on tipping as you like. I hope that the moderators become as unhappy with them as many of us are.

You are obsessed enough to make a feeble attempt at calculating what someone else earns.

Not to mention, this is so none of anyone else's business. What if we were all asked to declare our income on this board? Or speculated about? Ridiculous and invasive.

It is your business. I totally agree.

But I can hold a view whether you agree or not and this is what freedom of speech is for and cruise critic forums are for, to allow us to share this in healthy debate.

Thanks

....something you ought to keep in mind regarding responses from others you've received to your posts in other threads.....

Our room attendant on the Allure had 12 other cabins. They no longer have assistants and work alone. One day as I came around the corner I saw ours standing against the wall, and she was soaked in sweat. These people work their butts off and deserve so much more, and the cruiseline should be paying them more. Until then, we choose to pay the tip and then most times, tip extra.

[quote name='Merion_Mom']
...........You may start as many annoying and repetitive threads on tipping as you like. I hope that the moderators become as unhappy with them as many of us are.[/quote]

....or maybe he will just report himself to the mods as he has others.....:D

[quote name='Merion_Mom']You are wrong. Again. And xenophobia is not in my makeup. I do not, however, suffer fools gladly.

You cannot assert a right to "freedom of speech" on a private message board. The moderators can and will delete anything that they believe violates board policy, and that policy is set by board management.

And this is a U.S. company, therefore U.S. laws apply.

You may start as many annoying and repetitive threads on tipping as you like. I hope that the moderators become as unhappy with them as many of us are.[/quote]

My first thought after reading your post: Amen. We can only hope this will be put to rest.

[quote name='clarea']I just found a letter with the gratuity distribution from our last Monarch cruise, which was the end of March, after the $0.35 increase:

Dining Services: $6.80
Stateroom Attendant: $3.85
Other Housekeeping Personnel: $1.35

This would imply that:
Dining Services went up from $6.65 to $6.80.
Stateroom Attendant went down from $4.00 to $3.85
Other Housekeeping Services went up from $1.00 to $1.35.

I've no idea if this is fleetwide or specific to Monarch, but this is the only distribution of gratuities I've seen after the March 2013 increase.[/quote]
Just off Radiance and the DW went and got the tip letter for me. Yes, the figures that you list match exactly.
On an interesting side note, we just did a Princess a couple of months ago and the average cabin attendant has 18 to 20 rooms.

[quote name='CptSticky']Just off Radiance and the DW went and got the tip letter for me. Yes, the figures that you list match exactly.
On an interesting side note, we just did a Princess a couple of months ago and the average cabin attendant has 18 to 20 rooms.[/quote]
Thanks for the feedback.:)

Archived