Problem with a TA, advice requested

Tazzycat

I went on a reverse auction website and got several quotes for my Viking cruise. I decided to go with a specific agent over other quotes because he promised me a rebate of $425 after final pmt was paid up. He lied.

Now that he has my credit card number, now that I have booked with him and made final payment, he says that he will pay me the $425 after I get back from the cruise next April 2014.

I have in writing that the rebate will come "with final documents" which he told me I would get immediately after my final payment posted.

He says that he will pay me when he gets his cruiseline commission, which i think he receives after my final payment.

I don't trust this liar, and if I continue and go on this cruise, and he never gives me the $425, all I can do is fly out to Bethesda, MD and take him to small claims court.

There's a $200 cancellation fee from Viking I am trying to avoid, no matter how far out the cruise is from today. Once any payment is made, there's a $100 fee per person.

1. Can I transfer the booking from this liar to another TA?

2. Can you think of a way to avoid the cancellation fee?

Commission on most river cruises is not paid out until guest has sailed. If your agent gives you the $425 now and in 6 months you have to cancel for whatever reason, he has no recourse to to get that $425 back. If you cancel and the cruise line has paid out commission, the agent must pay the commission back to the cruise line. Final documents are not sent out until a few weeks before departure

And this is the wrong thread..

We are Viking Ocean cruises, not river.

You don't just buy something based on lowest price and go on the internet to complain. You will probably gong to get your "rebate"

after the agent gets his commission- I don't know when this is paid.

We have hade rebates in the past and the refund always comes after we return home from the cruise.

However, it seems the Viking rules for its river cruises holds true for the ocean cruises. I know of no other cruise line taking full payment so early. However, you can always cancel up to 121 days before the cruise and get a full refund. Frankly, I don't really care. What am I earning on a $1,000 sitting in a money market account at my broker, .03% a year? If we hit a significant rise in inflation/interest rates then the scenario changes but still won't amount to much. Charging the deposit is the best way to insure that you don't get burned.

What bothers me is Viking states there is "no nickel and diming" yet gratuities are not included. I prefer that they would do so and I can give additional for service that goes beyond. Whatever.

However, it seems the Viking rules for its river cruises holds true for the ocean cruises. I know of no other cruise line taking full payment so early.

Even with Viking the 'rules' vary by territory, in the UK for example on river cruises the final payment is only required 10 weeks before departure.

Can't comment on ocean cruises as they were USA only last time I looked.

OP, did you check the agent thru the BBB or any other method (i.e., checking with past clients, postings on his FB page?0? Or did you just go with this guy 'cause he was supposedly cheaper? If you truly don't know a thing about him and he isn't local so you can't visit him in person, I don't see that you have any recourse since payment has been made. I hope it's just a case of the TA "misspoke" by saying you'd get the $425 when you received your docs. I wonder if he's new and is still learning the ropes of his trade?

You could always call Viking and ask to cancel and rebook with no fee--but they are under no obligation to do it. But, who knows? You may get a superior CSR who will give you to a supervisor who can make it happen.

Good luck...

I believe they are paid their commission after sailing, not after final payment. It is possible that he will pay you after you sailed.

I also wonder if he is new and mis-spoke.

Some cruise lines allow agents to discount the cruise up front which eliminates the "check after sailing" as the agent can quote the real price to the customer and collect money with out having to rebate later. Each cruise line has its own rules and I am not familiar with Viking.

I believe they are paid their commission after sailing, not after final payment. It is possible that he will pay you after you sailed.

1. Viking pays comissions to TA's 29 days before the cruise departure.

2. It is definitely unexperienced agent to say the least. He could and should make a discount available at the time of booking.

3. Since most likely you're already out of transfer window I'd suggest to call Viking and ask them to allow transfering the booking to a different TA.

4. You'll need to call/mail TA and demand a booking transfer back to Viking.

1. Viking pays comissions to TA's 29 days before the cruise departure.

2. It is definitely unexperienced agent to say the least. He could and should make a discount available at the time of booking.

3. Since most likely you're already out of transfer window I'd suggest to call Viking and ask them to allow transfering the booking to a different TA.

4. You'll need to call/mail TA and demand a booking transfer back to Viking.

You confirmed mostly what I thought. I have friends who book Viking with my agent and they receive a discount at time of booking. I didn't know when they pay commission as some pay when they sail and some before. Thanks for clearing things up. It does seem obvious that they are working with an agent who isn't experienced with Viking.

It never ceases to amaze me why people shop, and shop for the best discounts and then give their credit card information to a complete stranger, online no less. This is what happens when you don't use a reputable travel agent and are only looking for huge discounts, instead of good service.

It never ceases to amaze me why people shop, and shop for the best discounts and then give their credit card information to a complete stranger, online no less. This is what happens when you don't use a reputable travel agent and are only looking for huge discounts, instead of good service.

Not nessesary. Some time ago I had a huge problems with one of the agents of a very reputable agency.

JMHO need to check everything by yourself. If you rely on somebody sooner or later you'll get into troubles.

This is what happens when you don't use a reputable travel agent and are only looking for huge discounts, instead of good service.

I get huge discounts and good service. It is not always one or the other. It can be both.

• 1 month later...

sorry but the same as you can not defy gravity, you can not defy the most basic economics laws.

any product, especially a river cruise purchase can only be any two these three::

quick/ cheap/ good

and it therefore MUST be the opposite of the whichever third.

in other words if it's quick and cheap it has to be NOT good

quick and good has to be not cheap

cheap and good has to be not quick

I went on a reverse auction website and got several quotes for my Viking cruise. I decided to go with a specific agent over other quotes because he promised me a rebate of $425 after final pmt was paid up. He lied.

Now that he has my credit card number, now that I have booked with him and made final payment, he says that he will pay me the $425 after I get back from the cruise next April 2014.

I have in writing that the rebate will come "with final documents" which he told me I would get immediately after my final payment posted.

He says that he will pay me when he gets his cruiseline commission, which i think he receives after my final payment.

I don't trust this liar, and if I continue and go on this cruise, and he never gives me the $425, all I can do is fly out to Bethesda, MD and take him to small claims court.

There's a $200 cancellation fee from Viking I am trying to avoid, no matter how far out the cruise is from today. Once any payment is made, there's a $100 fee per person.

1. Can I transfer the booking from this liar to another TA?

2. Can you think of a way to avoid the cancellation fee?

I can tell you 100 percent, that a TA does not get paid for any cruise, until 2 weeks or so after you get back. Trust me I know this for sure.

Archived