AFT Cabins... Has anyone ever NOT liked their Aft?

Buz, reading your post it looks like you could have a great little hammock franchise business for yourself that would even cover the cost of your cruises, if you can work out an arrangement with the cruise line/s.

I know that I would would enjoy having a hammock on the balcony, but I am not willing to bother with buying and packing and schlepping and attaching all that stuff.

So I would be happy to pay you a reasonable fee to bring it and set it up for me.

There are probably other cruise passengers who would as well.

If you like this idea and decide to go into the cruise hammock business, I hope that you will give me at least one free hammock setup on a cruise for suggesting it. :D

Interesting idea! Unfortunately there are such a limited number of big balconies on each ship (big enough to accomodate a hammock) that I think this enterprise probably wouldn't pay for my cruise habit.:(

However in the spirit of trying something new, please note that I'll be on Freedom on 9/1/13. My balcony unfortunately isn't big enough for my hammock. So if the proud owners of the deck 7 corner afts on the 9/1 Freedom cruise are reading this, let's talk!:D I could field test this enterprise. (It might at least make a dent in my bar bill.;))

Buz

I have had an aft balcony I didn't care for, but it was due to the specific cruise, not the ship. We took a 2-night cruise for our wedding celebration a few years ago, and the aft was a waste. Cruise was too short to do much relaxing on the balcony, we were with too large a group to have any time alone, but the real problem was that cruising out of Norfolk, Va in late October was just too cool for a balcony for Floridians.

Just been allocated aft 7708 on IOS for a Med cruise in a few weeks. This was a guarantee cabin and from what people have been saying I have been very lucky.

Corner aft - hard to do much better.:)

HANGING A HAMMOCK

It is important to choose a hammock that is comfortable. After some not too intensive research, the fishnet mesh hammocks were lighter but reviews indicated they were not very comfortable. They also leave uncomfortable and unsightly grid marks on the skin. (Oh dear! At our age, we surely don't need that!)

The hammock we decided upon was the Texsport LaPaz Hammock from Amazon for around $18. A thick comfortable woven cotton cloth hammock. It weighs 3 pounds, Has a 300 pound weight limit and comes in its own carry bag so it was easy to pack.

The next decision was how to hang it. Again more research. There are all sorts of hanging kits available. Most were for trees and posts, etc. After reading posts from other hammock hangers, I decided that some rope would work just as well as anything. I thought that 1/4 " rope would work but also looked at 3/8" thinking it would be stronger. (Can't afford to have a rope break and have Mama hit her bottom on the deck!)

Academy Sports had a hammock hanging set that met all of my requirements and was actually cheaper than buying the amount of rope I thought I required. The set is the Amazonas MicroRope Ultralight Hammock Rope Set. I bought it at the store. It is online too. Price is $14.99. It is two 10' pieces of cord (300 lb test rating) with loops tied at one end and a length adjuster at the other end. The adjuster was an aluminum bar that I slipped through the eye of the hammock rope. It worked great.

Once onboard, I checked out our balcony. I looked for two places as far apart from each other as possible where I could anchor the ropes and not interfere with the use of the balcony door. There were 2 places in the superstructure that were perfect. Once this was figured out, I put the loop end of the rope through the opening in the ship's structure, put the adjuster bar through the loop of the rope to secure it to the ship. Did the same at both ends. I used the adjuster bars to get the hammock where I thought it was comfortable.

When I was I done for the day, I could remove the hammock from the adjuster bars, slide the ropes back through the loops and put it away for the day. Once the initial adjustment were made for the length, getting it set up for the next use was easy.

The attached pictures should help. If you need more advice, just email me at goodrich@telepath.com and I'll try to help. Hope you enjoy your hammock as much as we enjoyed ours!!

Bon Voyage!

Buz

Nav7388balcony.jpg

Hammockhanging1.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1Hammockhanging1.jpg

Hammock2.jpg

Love the idea. Going on amazon tonight. We have 1100 on serenade

Sent from my MT11i using Tapatalk

Had E1, 9706 on Liberty. Wasn't impressed as at the time, despite having the space, they would not allow loungers on the aft balconies on Liberty. This may have changed, but at the time made our choice not worth it. 2 chairs and a tiny table?

5738919841_7d60e9409d_z.jpg

5738899629_4eaf8b1e33_z.jpg

Also there was a problem with soot which I dislike and wasn't able to get off clothes.

Edited by peteukmcr

Had E1, 9706 on Liberty. Wasn't impressed as at the time, despite having the space, they would not allow loungers on the aft balconies on Liberty. This may have changed, but at the time made our choice not worth it. 2 chairs and a tiny table?

5738919841_7d60e9409d_z.jpg

5738899629_4eaf8b1e33_z.jpg

Also there was a problem with soot which I dislike and wasn't able to get off clothes.

What lonely looking chairs. What a nice avatar! :D

Gina

• 2 years later...
HANGING A HAMMOCK

It is important to choose a hammock that is comfortable. After some not too intensive research, the fishnet mesh hammocks were lighter but reviews indicated they were not very comfortable. They also leave uncomfortable and unsightly grid marks on the skin. (Oh dear! At our age, we surely don't need that!)

The hammock we decided upon was the Texsport LaPaz Hammock from Amazon for around $18. A thick comfortable woven cotton cloth hammock. It weighs 3 pounds, Has a 300 pound weight limit and comes in its own carry bag so it was easy to pack.

The next decision was how to hang it. Again more research. There are all sorts of hanging kits available. Most were for trees and posts, etc. After reading posts from other hammock hangers, I decided that some rope would work just as well as anything. I thought that 1/4 " rope would work but also looked at 3/8" thinking it would be stronger. (Can't afford to have a rope break and have Mama hit her bottom on the deck!)

Academy Sports had a hammock hanging set that met all of my requirements and was actually cheaper than buying the amount of rope I thought I required. The set is the Amazonas MicroRope Ultralight Hammock Rope Set. I bought it at the store. It is online too. Price is $14.99. It is two 10' pieces of cord (300 lb test rating) with loops tied at one end and a length adjuster at the other end. The adjuster was an aluminum bar that I slipped through the eye of the hammock rope. It worked great.

Once onboard, I checked out our balcony. I looked for two places as far apart from each other as possible where I could anchor the ropes and not interfere with the use of the balcony door. There were 2 places in the superstructure that were perfect. Once this was figured out, I put the loop end of the rope through the opening in the ship's structure, put the adjuster bar through the loop of the rope to secure it to the ship. Did the same at both ends. I used the adjuster bars to get the hammock where I thought it was comfortable.

When I was I done for the day, I could remove the hammock from the adjuster bars, slide the ropes back through the loops and put it away for the day. Once the initial adjustment were made for the length, getting it set up for the next use was easy.

The attached pictures should help. If you need more advice, just email me at goodrich@telepath.com and I'll try to help. Hope you enjoy your hammock as much as we enjoyed ours!!

Bon Voyage!

Buz

Nav7388balcony.jpg

Hammockhanging1.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1Hammockhanging1.jpg

Hammock2.jpg

Thanks so much for the information on this; we have a ten night sailing coming up in March on Voyager of the Seas. Have the hammock & Kindle and we are ready to go.

We had an aft cabin on our recent cruise on the Oasis.

Negatives

++++++

Soot leaving sticky residue on balcony furniture played on my mind. Having said that, it is not as if the balcony is covered in soot or that it is unusable. It just leaves a doubt in your mind if you having a lie down on the deck chair. Easily solved by putting down a couple of beach towels.

Long walk from lift.

Positives

++++++

Massive balcony and we could look down onto the boardwalk, Aquatheatre and out to the sea.

Often sheltered from the breeze.

Quiet and peaceful, especially in the evenings.

We were on deck 10.