What is the difference between concierge and Penthouse

lisemare

Our Butler was never able to get us reservations... Though he certainly tried several times! So that puts that theory to rest :)

While your final statement might be true, it might also be false depending on the cruise, Butler, etc. On our last Regent cruise, we were able to get reservations in Prime 7 each time we asked and believe that was 6 nites on a 15 nite cruise. Using your logic, our results would say that reservations are available on an unlimited basis for everyone. We all know that isn't true and neither is your conclusion. It is unfortunate that your Butler was unable to get you any additional reservations however one example or even several do not put any theory to rest.

Just to avoid any flaming, am not saying one way or another if Regent has a class system in or out of the suite, simply stating that one or even several examples do not confirm or refute any theory.

While your final statement might be true, it might also be false depending on the cruise, Butler, etc. On our last Regent cruise, we were able to get reservations in Prime 7 each time we asked and believe that was 6 nites on a 15 nite cruise. Using your logic, our results would say that reservations are available on an unlimited basis for everyone. We all know that isn't true and neither is your conclusion. It is unfortunate that your Butler was unable to get you any additional reservations however one example or even several do not put any theory to rest.

Just to avoid any flaming, am not saying one way or another if Regent has a class system in or out of the suite, simply stating that one or even several examples do not confirm or refute any theory.

You said it better than I did.....

Thank you..

Our Butler was never able to get us reservations... Though he certainly tried several times! So that puts that theory to rest :)

Unfortunately, there are good and not so good butlers. It sounds like yours as in the first category.

A few years ago we asked if a table for 12 could be set up in CR. Our butler came back with a negative response. Our group of 12 went to CR and asked if we could be seated at adjacent tables. We were asked to wait a minute while they set up a table for 12. It was not a problem.

Most of us do not ask much of our butlers. If they cannot manage to get a dining reservation, it is time to politely ask for another butler (JMO)

Responder: As usual, I must disagree with you. We have obtained additional dining reservations on our own -- not based on what suite we were in (as had TecC). When we went to P7 or Signatures, they had no idea what level of suite we were in. They simply looked at their reservation list and determined whether or not a reservation was available. On the other hand, we have been in a Master Suite and not been able to get extra dining reservations.

So much for the "class" theory!

Unfortunately, there are good and not so good butlers. It sounds like yours as in the first category.

A few years ago we asked if a table for 12 could be set up in CR. Our butler came back with a negative response. Our group of 12 went to CR and asked if we could be seated at adjacent tables. We were asked to wait a minute while they set up a table for 12. It was not a problem.

Most of us do not ask much of our butlers. If they cannot manage to get a dining reservation, it is time to politely ask for another butler (JMO)

Responder: As usual, I must disagree with you. We have obtained additional dining reservations on our own -- not based on what suite we were in (as had TecC). When we went to P7 or Signatures, they had no idea what level of suite we were in. They simply looked at their reservation list and determined whether or not a reservation was available. On the other hand, we have been in a Master Suite and not been able to get extra dining reservations.

So much for the "class" theory!

So when I arrive at the dinning venue they have no idea what room I'm in? Why then have I been asked my suite number, and the monitor that that look at contains what, cartoons:rolleyes: If one shows up at prime time I can understand why no table is available. Show up at 8:45 and more than likely you will get a table, Master suite or not.

So when I arrive at the dinning venue they have no idea what room I'm in? Why then have I been asked my suite number, and the monitor that that look at contains what, cartoons:rolleyes: If one shows up at prime time I can understand why no table is available. Show up at 8:45 and more than likely you will get a table, Master suite or not.

There is no question that when they dial up your suite number, your profile comes right up and all your credentials are there..if anyone thinks this does not matter, then what can I say.

This is definitely true on Regent and some other lines we have been on..

Sure, on occasion exceptions can occur, but going straight ahead, they know exactly who you are and act accordingly.

Perhaps they are watching cartoons:confused: Our reservations go into the system by our suite number. Obviously this will be the first question you are asked. When you stop by Signatures or P7, they generally know if the restaurant is full that night. If they are not certain, they will bring up the screen so they can see which tables are full and which are not. The table display might resemble a cartoon.

On the other hand, anyone who chooses to believe that only passengers in certain suites get extra reservations....... that is what you believe. I chime in so that people new to Regent do not read posts only from conspiracy theorists but also from people whose experience has proven that, at least the majority of the time, extra reservations are given out when they are available -- regardless of your suite category. I am aware of exceptions to this.... but, again, it had to do with things other than suite category.

I am interested in this conversation. Responder, what did you mean when you said they dial up your suite number and your profile and credentials come up? Also, what did you mean when you said they then "act accordingly?" I have been on several Regent cruises and never had the impression that my status or suite number mattered when going to CR. If they could seat you, they did. What am I missing here?

I am interested in this conversation. Responder, what did you mean when you said they dial up your suite number and your profile and credentials come up? Also, what did you mean when you said they then "act accordingly?" I have been on several Regent cruises and never had the impression that my status or suite number mattered when going to CR. If they could seat you, they did. What am I missing here?

From what I have seen and heard when conversing with staff members, when you ask for something, they will either recognize you from previous contact or will see by your suite number, the miles you have compiled with them. The higher suites will command a bit more attention.

If they have room, of course they will seat you, but if having to choose, I can promise you that your points will have an effect....and yes, there are exceptions, as previously mentioned, and you will hear from those as yourself who was an exception.

Also, probably a $20 bill in a handskake can cause an exception..:D:D

Not any different from dining out on land. If you are a steady customer and recognized as such, it is almost guaranteed that you will receive more attention.

Responder, thanks for your reply. I have been in PH suites and standard suites and never noticed any difference in treatment. I also have never seen anyone punch up our suite number to see who we were. Maybe because we go back to the same venue and they do know us. Also, I would never consider giving a $20 to get priority seating. I would just either wait or move on if that was not convenient. There are always choices for dinner. We sail again in four weeks and we can't wait to go cursing again! Oops, did not mean cursing! We don't really do much of that on a cruise. Meant cruising!

We booked penthouse for upcoming cruise solely because business air fare was covered.

If the included business air fare was the ONLY reason for booking a Penthouse, you made a big financial error. Yes, business class air fare is included in Penthouse and above however, if you check the price difference between Penthouse and the next lower category, and then compare that to the business class add on that is available to everyone below penthouse, you would have seen that you are paying significantly more for your cruise + business air than you would have by booking the next lowest category and then paying the business class add-on.

You really need more reasons than business air inclusion to book Penthouse or above. Hope this explanation helps others make their suite decision for the correct reason.

You really need more reasons than business air inclusion to book Penthouse or above. Hope this explanation helps others make their suite decision for the correct reason.

Isn't "the correct reason" for anyone whatever they deem appropriate/correct when selecting their category? and that may not be what you deem as the correct reason.

tubeamps, rallydave is correct. The poster stated that the SOLE reason he booked PH was because of included business airfare.

It is a matter of arithmetic and the correct answer is the one rallydave gave.

New cruisers often don't realize the finer points of pricing and it is not very transparent how fares are calculated. It takes a good travel agent to help one sort through the pricing of a cruise. There may be course other reasons to book any category in the ship but jkl123 wrote that the decision was based only on getting business class. Hence, rallydave's explanation is instructive to the new Regent cruiser.

tubeamps, rallydave is correct. The poster stated that the SOLE reason he booked PH was because of included business airfare.

It is a matter of arithmetic and the correct answer is the one rallydave gave.

New cruisers often don't realize the finer points of pricing and it is not very transparent how fares are calculated. It takes a good travel agent to help one sort through the pricing of a cruise. There may be course other reasons to book any category in the ship but jkl123 wrote that the decision was based only on getting business class. Hence, rallydave's explanation is instructive to the new Regent cruiser.

I'm not arguing the economics of pricing, the math is simple enough but don't you think it is just as reasonable/true that for some (not me) price/cost is just not important? I know I have cruised with friends where this is true.

Isn't "the correct reason" for anyone whatever they deem appropriate/correct when selecting their category? and that may not be what you deem as the correct reason.

I agree with you but understand that there are many people who look at everything from a financial standpoint. We select the category that is "appropriate/correct" for us and that ends up being penthouse -- even when business class air is not included.

With the exception of the Navigator that we no longer choose to sail on, the penthouse suites are either quite a bit larger or a better configuration than regular suites. We enjoy having an iPad to use, the butler, the set-up in the suites (alcohol, constantly replenished munchies in the room, etc.)

IMO, there are no wrong decision in terms of which suite location or category to choose. It is helpful to have threads like this one so people are aware of the differences.

TC2,

Here we agree again. I think we should always book the kind of accommodation that best suits us. that way we avoid disappointments.

I think our difference of opinion re: Class distinction is that you only consider the treatment one receives once on board while I consider the treatment from the moment one books. In any case, it's really not that important.

TC2,

Here we agree again. I think we should always book the kind of accommodation that best suits us. that way we avoid disappointments.

I think our difference of opinion re: Class distinction is that you only consider the treatment one receives once on board while I consider the treatment from the moment one books. In any case, it's really not that important.

Agree (does that change our percentages:))

I agree with you but understand that there are many people who look at everything from a financial standpoint. We select the category that is "appropriate/correct" for us and that ends up being penthouse -- even when business class air is not included.

With the exception of the Navigator that we no longer choose to sail on, the penthouse suites are either quite a bit larger or a better configuration than regular suites. We enjoy having an iPad to use, the butler, the set-up in the suites (alcohol, constantly replenished munchies in the room, etc.)

IMO, there are no wrong decision in terms of which suite location or category to choose. It is helpful to have threads like this one so people are aware of the differences.

I agree with everything you wrote tc, imagine that!! As bissel so aptly responded, the ONLY reason I posted what I did about the OP making an error in booking is because they said the ONLY reason for booking the Penthouse was the Business Class air fare. Yes, money isn't everything for some people however, why throw money away unnecessarily which the OP did if in fact the post was completely accurate.

As you have stated numerous times, we are here to help the newbies and am sure there are others who would erroneously book a Penthouse only for the reason of the included Business air fare and would be throwing money away by doing that.

Agree there are many reasons that people book the category they do and that is perfectly fine but, can't understand why anyone would want to throw money away unnecessarily??

Archived