Another dress code question!

CRUISING71

Surely isn't the solution simple. If you don't want to dress up then don't book with a Company that has formal nights. Personally I think that there is nothing nicer than seeing a man in a DS or tux. I know my other half would hate to dress up every night but doesn't mind 2 or 3 nights.

In respect of children or teenagers, some like the opportunity of dressing up but they do grow quickly and it can be an expensive waste of money.

Surely isn't the solution simple. If you don't want to dress up then don't book with a Company that has formal nights.

Nope, not that simple. For many people the primary criteria for choosing a cruise are itinerary and price. In fact I've never had the option of choosing a cruiseline without formal nights on the itineraries I was looking at. Where possible I will choose Celebrity because in all areas other than the formal dress code it suits me perfectly.

WOW............this is such a controversal topic. On our most recent cruise we notices someone in the MDR admitted with jeans and a T shirt.....next it will be ok for baseball caps. Sorry....I'm of the small group that would love to have an all formal cruise. I love getting dressed up and wear jacket and tie to casual nights. Now I do not advocate this for all as I understand that our current climate has changed but dining out, cruising, etc. are special nights and should be treated as such.

Charles

Here Here !!!

Surely part of the cruise "experience" is the different dress codes for different nights, and people who have been on numerous cruises should understand that. As society we have been so informal that it's nice to have a bit of structure and codes to adheare to.

..............and I also hate it when you walk into a restuarant these days (on land I mean) to be greeted by "Hi Guys, I'm your server" what ever happened to "good evening Sir, Madam" BAH HUMBUG

Nope, not that simple. For many people the primary criteria for choosing a cruise are itinerary and price. In fact I've never had the option of choosing a cruiseline without formal nights on the itineraries I was looking at. Where possible I will choose Celebrity because in all areas other than the formal dress code it suits me perfectly.

There is no reason for anyone to choose another cruise line, just choose one of the other options available for formal nights. There would be no such thing as formal night if anything and everything were allowed in the MDR on these couple of nights. How about letting those of us who appreciate and enjoy them the opportunity to have that choice?

It seems to me that when all the vestiges of what contribute to making Celebrity just that little bit nicer are gone, it probably won't be the cruise line that suits you best any more, it will be just like all the others. Celebrity's itineraries and price are certainly no better than any others.

There is no reason for anyone to choose another cruise line, just choose one of the other options available for formal nights. There would be no such thing as formal night if anything and everything were allowed in the MDR on these couple of nights. How about letting those of us who appreciate and enjoy them the opportunity to have that choice?

It seems to me that when all the vestiges of what contribute to making Celebrity just that little bit nicer are gone, it probably won't be the cruise line that suits you best any more, it will be just like all the others. Celebrity's itineraries and price are certainly no better than any others.

Fair enough, but take a look in Blu on formal nights. There is no formal requirement there, but most people still dress up. Even slobs like myself will dress a little better on those nights. The same is true of most of the specialty restaurants. Sure, it can vary from cruise to cruise but formal night is still clearly formal night even when the restaurant's dress code is smart casual.

I'm happy to see the tradition of formal nights kept but people should be able to decide for themselves what constitutes formal wear.

Fair enough, but take a look in Blu on formal nights. There is no formal requirement there, but most people still dress up. Even slobs like myself will dress a little better on those nights. The same is true of most of the specialty restaurants. Sure, it can vary from cruise to cruise but formal night is still clearly formal night even when the restaurant's dress code is smart casual.

I'm happy to see the tradition of formal nights kept but people should be able to decide for themselves what constitutes formal wear.

That's the way it is now because there are formal nights. Celebrity's definition of formal is very liberal now. It can't possibly be any less than it is now and still be formal. Your premise is insupportable. Dressing a little better is what smart casual is and we all know that has gone by the wayside.

It's not possible to keep formal nights and let people "decide" what formal is since obviously we wouldn't be having these discussions if they could.

You can get mdr food delivered to your room any (all in our case) night. They bring entire service at once so you can eat in peace and still get the "good" food.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

If they would deliver it to the buffet that would be good. I'm not a fan of trying to eat dinner off that tiny coffee table or standing up by the dressing table. That option doesn't seem very reasonable.

But, if they'd deliver the food to a sit down venue then that would be OK.

Tom

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Let's not forget after all Celebrity is the cruiseline of "Modern Luxary" wooing Audi drivers and W Hotel guests, not nessacarily looking for James Bond look alikes.

So as an Audi driver (a fire engine red Avant) and a W Hotel guest do I get to weigh in with extra importance? ;)

I really don't understand all the discussion. The policy is clearly written. Clearly the enforcement is not as rigid as some would like and too rigid for others.

Dressing for dinner is like speeding. You know what the policy is. If you choose to ignore it, you'll be okay some of the time and you'll get busted some of the time. When you "get away" with it, don't be surprised if you get some annoyed glares. When you "get busted", don't be surprised that you did because you did know the rules and that there were consequences for choosing to not follow them.

So as an Audi driver (a fire engine red Avant) and a W Hotel guest do I get to weigh in with extra importance? ;)

I really don't understand all the discussion. The policy is clearly written. Clearly the enforcement is not as rigid as some would like and too rigid for others.

Dressing for dinner is like speeding. You know what the policy is. If you choose to ignore it, you'll be okay some of the time and you'll get busted some of the time. When you "get away" with it, don't be surprised if you get some annoyed glares. When you "get busted", don't be surprised that you did because you did know the rules and that there were consequences for choosing to not follow them.

Amen

I wonder why there's no requirement to wear a tie, but a jacket is so important to them? I'm not a fan of wearing ties so I'm glad for that. I often do wear a tie, but they are so uncomfortable that I think it's nice they made it optional. I typically wear a jacket even on non-formal nights because it's so cold in the MDR.

Tom

If they would deliver it to the buffet that would be good. I'm not a fan of trying to eat dinner off that tiny coffee table or standing up by the dressing table. That option doesn't seem very reasonable.

But, if they'd deliver the food to a sit down venue then that would be OK.

Tom Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We eat dinner in our room every night. We just find it more enjoyable to eat in a quieter, much more intimate environment. We eat at that small table or on our balcony.

Tom,

I have over 35(stoped counting at 35]. I don't wear a tie on "Formal Nights". I wear a blazer,shirt and slacks.I've worn this the last 5 years of cruising with Celebrity.And I might add,many other men did the same.

Tom,

I have over 35(stoped counting at 35]. I don't wear a tie on "Formal Nights". I wear a blazer,shirt and slacks.I've worn this the last 5 years of cruising with Celebrity.And I might add,many other men did the same.

Really...according to your other posts you haven't been in the main dining room for quite a while.

Really...according to your other posts you haven't been in the main dining room for quite a while.

Still don't wear a tie and always wear a blazer on formal nights.And if I went to the mdr, Iwould wear a blazer,slacks and shirt,no tie.My last MDR was in 2009 on a NE,Canada cruise and Blazer ,slacks and shirt were my mode of dress.

All I can say is I've been in the MDR over 100 times in the last four years and haven't seen "many" men dressed like that. They were few and far between. Most people abide by the dress code. There are always going to be few who don't.

All I can say is I've been in the MDR over 100 times in the last four years and haven't seen "many" men dressed like that. They were few and far between. Most people abide by the dress code. There are always going to be few who don't.

And often there is a reason for those who don't dress up such as not getting luggage. This happens often on the first night when you will see shorts, etc in the MDR because they did not get their luggage yet. Also happens on other nights because sometimes people don't get it for the entire cruise. That's one reason I would never say anything because you don't know the circumstances.

On our 4 Celebrity cruises MANY men came sans ties, MANY came sans coat or tie.

Archived