Another dress code question!

CRUISING71

With us, we just hate packing so much with the air travel and luggage charges. However, we also like to follow guideline and if guideline said a suit or jacket, then suit and jacket it is.

Father wears jacket on board when we embark. Saves room in suitcase. Changes ties if there is more than one formal night.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I happened to notice in "Celebrity Today" on the Infinity.

For Formal it says:

Ladies: Cocktail dress, gown or pant suit;

Gentlemen: Tuxedo, suit or jacket with slacks.

It does not say "dinner jacket" but only jacket.

Now I am wondering if this was just a fluke, or a change that is going to start showing up elsewhere as well.

Interesting, very interesting!

One of the main reasons, IMHO, for taking one's children on a cruise is to broaden their horizons, to see other places (real ones), other peoples, other cultures, other ways of being and doing and thinking. Why not let your son experience how it feels to be dressed for dinner as he sits in the lovely MDR surrounded by white table linens, properly set table and a dinner served in courses and hopefully pleasant dinner conversation with strangers ? Otherwise we could all just see pretend countries at Epcot and eat at Steak N' Shake.

"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." Benjamin Franklin

PS: I have a forty year old son. I wish I had taken more of my own advice.

The beauty of going on a cruise ship is you can pretty much do what you wish. If it is your desire to dress up, you may do so and if it is not, also your choice. I follow the dress code and could care less what people do. One of the nicest persons I have met on cruise ships was a gentleman who had the unfortunate experience of having his luggage lost. He was rather large and not much on board fit him but he made the best of it. It didn't bother us that he was in shorts all week. I did hear comments from others who even knowing that he did not get his luggage said he shouldn't be eating in the MDR. I have little tolerance for people who are adamant on either side and those people were downright ugly.

I will say that some of the best pictures we have of our family was when all four of us were dressed up formally on Celebrity ships in the 90s. That was when you either dressed up for dinner or you didn't eat. I don't always agree with her but Ma Bell has posted wonderful pictures of herself and her grandchildren on cruises. I'm sure she cherishes those. I would recommend to any families going to do that at least once, you will not forget it.

The OP has solved his/her issue... but for anyone else reading this thread for their own "what do I do" answer, let me say that both of my sons were turned away at the door when they didn't wear their jackets. Great moment for mom... as I had told them they had to wear jackets to dinner but they decided not to anyway! They were 13 and 15 at the time. So, it IS possible that a jacket will be required.

PS.. I got their "evening" wear at Goodwill. I had it all dry cleaned before we left and once they outgrew it, I donated it back. Win-win.

PS.. I got their "evening" wear at Goodwill. I had it all dry cleaned before we left and once they outgrew it, I donated it back. Win-win.

I always get a kick out of young folks who say a jacket isn't comfortable, but will show up in a tight denim jacket. The next line of defense is that it costs too much. Between your method of Goodwill, or mine of the Macy's sales, it doesn't hold water. My last three jackets cost me $27.00 each, down from $200.00. I bought a navy suit this past weekend for $89.00, down from $300.00. Last argument is that they'll never use it again. Hmmm. No job interviews? No church services? No dates where you want to make an effort? No more cruises? No college interviews? No visiting major US cities, where jeans and a sport coat are the norm for anyone between 21 and 50 at clubs? What sheltered lives some people lead!:D

No, you won't offend me dressed without a jacket. Yes, I will enjoy my cruise no matter how you are dressed. And, yes, many times the debates are academic, as enforcement has varied a lot. Much like trying to catch the 10:00 flight after a cruise- you might make, you might not. I usually err on the side of making the flight, and I definitely err on the side of being admitted to the dining room without potential questioning. In both cases, it allows me to relax more, as I don't have to think twice about it. And isn't relaxing more the whole point?

(And, to paraphrase a famous line from a war movie: Gee, I love the smell of a dress code thread in the morning)

Happy cruising to all, no matter what your sartorial preferences!

Andrew

The official description on the Celebrity site says "examples" and lists for guys for formal as:

Gentlemen: Tuxedo, suit or dinner jacket with slacks.

That said, I've never seen anyone turned away who looked half way presentable. I've even seen people in really dressy T-shirts. There's always the odd chance that someone at the door might say something, but I've never seen it happen. Also since he is 17 that will probably make a difference as well. Especially if he's wearing a tie. It would be smart for Celebrity to *not* chase away younger people because of some protocol. They have plenty of us older types. If he shows up in a T-shirt and flip flops they may be a little more skeptical :)

Tom

This will be our first cruise with Celebrity and we don’t want to be embarrasses for being turn away at the MDR due to dress code. Formal night for men, can they get away without a jacket? Nice dress pant, long sleeves shirt and tie - will this be acceptable? I have a son, he is 17 and I am wondering do I need to go and buy him dinner jacket? I don’t want to buy something which he'll outgrow in 3 months.

Thank you,

Tibby

Hi Larry,

One problem with renting is it's gotten so expensive and you don't get the suit until you're on board and it's sometimes a hassle to get things fixed if it doesn't fit right or the quality is not good. I checked in to renting for our last cruise and it was going to cost almost $150. If you had 3 sons and a husband that could add up to a bunch.

I think a 17 year in a sport coat, or even just a tie, would be pretty classy and I'd really like to see Celebrity encourage more young people to join the cruises. I'm OK with adults having more of a standard, but, for example, I can't imagine why an 8 year old might be forced to wear a dinner jacket. I'm super impressed with a 17 year old that is willing to wear a tie to dinner these days.

Tom

OK, I've stuck with the facts above but now I'll throw my 2 cents in: Why not fully comply with the dress code and wear a tux, suit or formal dinner jacket. It is part of the Celebrity cruise experience and makes for a special night. You can always rent formal wear through Cruiseline Formalwear and it will be delivered to your stateroom on board.

I wish they had more of the MDR choices in the buffet if they are going to be sticklers about a dress code. The MDR people get lobster and the buffet people get mediocre pizza or a salad (OK I know there's more than that, but I'm not impressed with the dinner buffet on Celebrity).

I'd much rather not do formal all the nights (I don't mind doing 1 or 2, but 3 on some cruises is overkill IMO), but I also don't want to eat the same old buffet food or pay for a way overpriced specialty restaurant. Maybe they should give you a discount for the night you don't eat at the MDR so you can apply it elsewhere. To top it off they charge you for gratuities whether you are there or not.

So the whole idea of "just go elsewhere" seems kind of unfair unless parity is available elsewhere for the same price.

Tom

On most of these ships are their other places we can eat without having to dress up so much, other than buffet? I don't even want to mention to my husband that he might need to bring a suit. Good grief, this is vacation. He has to wear a suit all the time for work.

That which is special for one is not necessarily special for another. For me an mdr is nothing more than a hotel's restaurant. If it was allowed I'd wear khakis and polo shirts every night as such attire is most comfortable. I go on vacation to escape formalwear.

Then you might enjoy an all-inclusive resort in Mexico or the Caribbean rather than a cruise ship, AND drinks are included!

We very seldom do formal anymore. We prefer casual. Our idea of a vacation is not dragging along extra clothing only to wear for a few hours on a few nights. Our cruises invariably include land trips on either side. A tie? I cannot imagine wearing one on vacation after years of wearing one for work.

On our last three X cruises-a TA, a Med, and an Adriatic, we noticed a fair amount of diners wearing a jacket, slacks, and collared shirt with open neck. No issue in terms of being admitted to the MDR.

Celebrity provides good options for everyone. If we remain casual, we can typically be found in Bisto on Five. The MDR meals on formal night on most cruise lines are just not that special any more. Seems to us to be more of an event to flog pictures than anything else but there are many people who still very much enjoy the environment.

We really are not bothered if someone is not dressed to code. We are hardly about to let that spoil our experience. Besides, we have no control over what people wear. We are typically more interested in the people that what they wear.

We very seldom do formal anymore. We prefer casual. Our idea of a vacation is not dragging along extra clothing only to wear for a few hours on a few nights. Our cruises invariably include land trips on either side. A tie? I cannot imagine wearing one on vacation after years of wearing one for work.

On our last three X cruises-a TA, a Med, and an Adriatic, we noticed a fair amount of diners wearing a jacket, slacks, and collared shirt with open neck. No issue in terms of being admitted to the MDR.

Celebrity provides good options for everyone. If we remain casual, we can typically be found in Bisto on Five. The MDR meals on formal night on most cruise lines are just not that special any more. Seems to us to be more of an event to flog pictures than anything else but there are many people who still very much enjoy the environment.

We really are not bothered if someone is not dressed to code. We are hardly about to let that spoil our experience. Besides, we have no control over what people wear. We are typically more interested in the people that what they wear.

Ditto

Ditto

Ditto and

Ditto......

VERY, very done with "prom night", and we enjoy having a nice bottle of wine while dining in specialty or Bistro on 5 or with room service or in a quiet corner of the buffet. :) ;)

Apparently there is no enforcement of a dress code on the Summit and you know what? It didn't spoil my dinner one bit because a gentleman across from me was wearing a short sleeved polo shirt! Sheesh, if that's what people worry about :confused:

I love your attitude! Thanks for the post, now I am really looking forward to the Summit in March.

We have travelled on cruises many times with our boys for the last ten years. They NEVER wear a jacket, and have NEVER been turned away from the MDR. They are smartly dressed, with a dress shirt and trousers. Sometimes they wear a tie or a waistcoat, and sometimes not. They have also worn their kilts (once), but they are too heavy to transport.

They grow so quickly, it would be crazy to buy them dress jackets. I have never purchased anything for them from charity shops, and wouldn't even consider it, although I do donate plenty of their old clothes!

My husband always wears a jacket on formal nights, and that is fine, we enjoy dressing up and having our photos taken. The kids look smart and dressy without looking like little men cut down.

I think we've got the balance right, and have never felt under or over dressed. Anything goes these days.... I don't even really notice what other people are wearing, and couldn't give a stuff if they haven't dressed "appropriately". Of course, there may be some who deem that we aren't dressed appropriately either!! It's all subjective.... :D

One of the main reasons, IMHO, for taking one's children on a cruise is to broaden their horizons, to see other places (real ones), other peoples, other cultures, other ways of being and doing and thinking.

We have a 15 year old daughter and 7 year old son, and both have always dressed every bit as appropriately as mom and dad. Funny enough, it's not the appropriate dressing that's the drag for them. The real drag is sitting through a whole meal. They don't care for the pace of the MDR, and while Qsine was busy enough to keep them going, the SS United States was totally not their game. The horrors of being asked to chew with your mouth closed, sit up straight, keeping your elbows off the table--You would think I was asking the old grey mare to run the Kentucky Derby!

Last argument is that they'll never use it again. Hmmm. No job interviews? No church services? No dates where you want to make an effort? No more cruises? No college interviews? No visiting major US cities, where jeans and a sport coat are the norm for anyone between 21 and 50 at clubs? What sheltered lives some people lead!:D

Hmmm. I only ever wear casual jackets and only if I need one to stay warm, so let me go through that list as it relates to my life so far. :)

Job interviews: Been to 10 interviews in my life, all for white-collar jobs and each one has been successful. No jacket required

Church services: Huh? Never seen a dress code at any church I've been to and I've been to quite a few.

Dates: Hard one for me to comment on because I've only ever been on dates with my wife. She prefers me in casual jackets.

Cruises: Never been refused entry to an MDR without a jacket. Never even been offered one. I'll admit that you can feel out of place without one and on Celebrity I prefer to avoid the MDR on formal nights.

Clubs in US cities: Been to a handful of these on my holidays to the US and they seemed quite happy to let me in with or without a casual jacket. Perhaps the clubs I go to are the downmarket and sleazy ones :D

I must lead a very sheltered life.

I avoid formal occasions with strict dress codes because I find them stuffy and uncomfortable, but for every other social occasion I see no problem with smart casual. Dark jeans, a dress shirt and a stylish casual jacket (if the weather requires it) have served me just fine for many years. Then again, I've got to admit I am a little strange.:p

We have a 15 year old daughter and 7 year old son, and both have always dressed every bit as appropriately as mom and dad. Funny enough, it's not the appropriate dressing that's the drag for them. The real drag is sitting through a whole meal. They don't care for the pace of the MDR, and while Qsine was busy enough to keep them going, the SS United States was totally not their game. The horrors of being asked to chew with your mouth closed, sit up straight, keeping your elbows off the table--You would think I was asking the old grey mare to run the Kentucky Derby!

Parenthood...it's a dirty job but someone's gotta do it

I wish they had more of the MDR choices in the buffet if they are going to be sticklers about a dress code. The MDR people get lobster and the buffet people get mediocre pizza or a salad (OK I know there's more than that, but I'm not impressed with the dinner buffet on Celebrity).

I'd much rather not do formal all the nights (I don't mind doing 1 or 2, but 3 on some cruises is overkill IMO), but I also don't want to eat the same old buffet food or pay for a way overpriced specialty restaurant. Maybe they should give you a discount for the night you don't eat at the MDR so you can apply it elsewhere. To top it off they charge you for gratuities whether you are there or not.

So the whole idea of "just go elsewhere" seems kind of unfair unless parity is available elsewhere for the same price.

Tom

You can get mdr food delivered to your room any (all in our case) night. They bring entire service at once so you can eat in peace and still get the "good" food.

Church services: Huh? Never seen a dress code at any church I've been to and I've been to quite a few.

Perhaps the clubs I go to are the downmarket and sleazy ones :D

I avoid formal occasions with strict dress codes because I find them stuffy and uncomfortable.

Then again, I've got to admit I am a little strange.:p

1. I admit that I was thinking of a funeral in a church. Still wear a dark suit to those automatically. And sadly have been to far too many as I get older.

2.Your words, not mine.;)

3. The clothes aren't stuffy! It's people who are. And don't need to be! I enjoy dressing up but don't necessarily alter my behavior when talking to others because of it...well, no mud wrestling, I guess.:eek: Fun isn't limited by formal dress once you're comfortable with the concept. I ended up in the hot tub in my tuxedo once...o.k., that was TOO much fun in formal dress.:o

4.I always like folks that can admit their foibles! Good on you. I have one or a dozen myself!:D

The dress code calls for suit, dinner jacket or tux. A dinner jacket is not a sports jacket, when you think of a dinner jacket, think James Bond.

But is that Celebrity's intent, tux or dinner jacket seem redundant and has anyone here on CC ever gotten clarification from Celebrity what they actually mean by "dinner jacket and slacks"? Slacks seem a bit casual to me.

Probably just a fluke, I think they just cut and paste this stuff from week to week or day to day.

I doubt it. Jacket and slacks have been seen on other ships in the daily printout. Let's not forget after all Celebrity is the cruiseline of "Modern Luxary" wooing Audi drivers and W Hotel guests, not nessacarily looking for James Bond look alikes.

That which is special for one is not necessarily special for another. For me an mdr is nothing more than a hotel's restaurant. If it was allowed I'd wear khakis and polo shirts every night as such attire is most comfortable. I go on vacation to escape formalwear.

Formal nights are special nights and if t shirts and jeans want to be worn eat elsewhere.

Charles

Hmmm. I only ever wear casual jackets and only if I need one to stay warm, so let me go through that list as it relates to my life so far. :)

Job interviews: Been to 10 interviews in my life, all for white-collar jobs and each one has been successful. No jacket required

Dates: Hard one for me to comment on because I've only ever been on dates with my wife. She prefers me in casual jackets.

Cruises: Never been refused entry to an MDR without a jacket. Never even been offered one. I'll admit that you can feel out of place without one and on Celebrity I prefer to avoid the MDR on formal nights.

Clubs in US cities: Been to a handful of these on my holidays to the US and they seemed quite happy to let me in with or without a casual jacket. Perhaps the clubs I go to are the downmarket and sleazy ones :D

I must lead a very sheltered life.

I avoid formal occasions with strict dress codes because I find them stuffy and uncomfortable, but for every other social occasion I see no problem with smart casual. Dark jeans, a dress shirt and a stylish casual jacket (if the weather requires it) have served me just fine for many years. Then again, I've got to admit I am a little strange.:p

I must be strange to, there has been a lot of talk on cc about this and some of it was very heated. If fact it got

So bad that cc shut it down. Don't get me wrong i like to dress up but tuxes are not for me. I hate jackets but will put up with them if I have to.

It may be a case of "horses for courses". Have you noticed how most of the anti-formal comments are coming from the guys? I can understand some men being unwilling to wear a tux, or jacket and tie, especially if they have to do it at work. But spare a thought for all the ladies out there who love a chance to dress up. We get so few opportunities these days. And if the woman is to wear something glam, how would she feel if her hubby just threw on a polo and chinos? Like a fish out of water. It is called a formal night for a reason. It is to provide people with a gala evening, a special party atmosphere. The mood just wouldn't be the same if people rocked up in their port clothes.

Prb the reason it's guys that moan it take us 20 mins to get ready and the ladies, i will so no more. ;). On formal nights I will a dark suit white shirt and bow tie after dinner the tie is off.

But is that Celebrity's intent, tux or dinner jacket seem redundant and has anyone here on CC ever gotten clarification from Celebrity what they actually mean by "dinner jacket and slacks"? Slacks seem a bit casual to me.

I doubt it. Jacket and slacks have been seen on other ships in the daily printout. Let's not forget after all Celebrity is the cruiseline of "Modern Luxary" wooing Audi drivers and W Hotel guests, not nessacarily looking for James Bond look alikes.

I believe it means a dinner jacket, aka James Bond. This portion of the web site has been pretty much the same since at least the early 90s. I wouldn't call Celebrity because the chances are the customer service people have no idea what a dinner jacket is.

I say its cut and paste because they apparently do that for a lot of things. Some of the ships recently have been putting the wrong dress code in their dailies and that's why many of us think they are just cutting and pasting from day to day or cruise to cruise.

Archived