Eclipse delayed boarding 22/6

terrierjohn

I don't think any of them are 100% but what we have done the last few cruises is put the wipes in a bag that seals & add a little rubbing alcohol to it, as that sterilizes it even more. So far so good.

yes , I agree , nothing is 100%, but might wipe down just for my own sanity !!

I've been tracking the Solstice for various reasons. We were on board for an Australian itinerary. Noro has been on board since Dec 2012. There is something about these mega ships. can't just blame the customers.

A ship with noro for the past 6 months. This has the beginnings of a good science fiction novel -- but not much else. The mega passenger list has nothing to do with it, of course.

Hmm, I know kids can forget, but I see a lot of older fellow guests who don't follow the hygiene procedures and they really have no excuse!

As for the ship having GI onboard all the time, well that is simply ridiculous as you can monitor this board and see how often they have to take the measures they are this weekend and it certainly is not every turn! People bring it onboard with them, because they either do not know they have it yet, or they just lie because they don't want to forego their holiday! :(

I agree!!! even in the summer we can't compare the number of children on Celebrity cruises with other cruise lines like RCCL, Disney or Carnival.

The ship's crew are also highly likely to become infected, and may be passing along the virus. They are supposed to quarantine them, but by the time they are symptomatic, it's too late.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I have been on 3 cruises on X when the noro virus was code red. Nothing in the cabin but bed sheets and towels and plastic glasses. I have never been sick. I do not go to the buffet or eat anything uncooked for first 3 days of any cruise.

We were on the Solstice in January 2010 when there was an outbreak of the Noro virus. We ate in the MDR all nights except one. We religiously used hand gel yet I was sick the last day. For Noro virus, use soap and water! and, as often as possible. It is a GI bug and soap and water is the only way to decrease the spread. Wish I had realized this then.

Hmm, but I see a lot of older fellow guests who don't follow the hygiene procedures and they really have no excuse!

While having breakfast in Tuscan, one elite member was sampling items on a tray, licking his fingers and then using tongs to take another and another applying his saliva to each tong as he satisfied his hunger...:eek:

I've been tracking the Solstice for various reasons. We were on board for an Australian itinerary. Noro has been on board since Dec 2012. There is something about these mega ships. can't just blame the customers.

Sadly left Solstice behind in Seattle on Friday 21st. Our family of 17 embarked healthy and departed the same; nor did any of us witness or hear of anyone being sick with norovirus. Crew was always evident at entry/doors to MDR and Deck 14 buffet with sanitizer in hand. It was still amazing to see how many cruisers say "no thank you" as though they should be exempt! Unfortunately crew tends to be non aggressive to the negative passenger responses or at least on this cruise. Silhouette in Feb 2013 crew did not take "no thank you" as answer - you stood until hands were squirted.

Not to be contrary but I do think that passengers are the primary culprits and the food stations on 14 are an issue also.

Hopefully assume that all traces of n'virus have been erased and all passengers and crew will have healthy sailings for the Alaska season on Solstice; 400 kids onboard (6/14-21) but may have been just long enough that germs were not brought aboard that seem to run rampant in the schools for pretty much all 9+ months!

Silhouette in Feb 2013 crew did not take "no thank you" as answer - you stood until your hands were squirted

Well that would be a long wait for them in my case sorry, not everyone has skin that can tolerate the gels. I accept people like me are in the minority but blanket rules like that are not appropriate

A few sinks lined up at the entrance to restaurants would be some help. You can wash your hands when you leave your state room and then hold on to rails coming down stairs or push the lift button.

I may have dreamed it but I thought I read that the new Princess ship has sinks outside MDR.

I wash my hands with soap and then use a barrier cream product on my hands which I then spray with anti viral. When I get to MDR I just hold out my hands and get some of their product too. I find if I don't use the barrier cream my hands go dry and my nails flake.

We were on the Solstice in January 2010 when there was an outbreak of the Noro virus. We ate in the MDR all nights except one. We religiously used hand gel yet I was sick the last day. For Noro virus, use soap and water! and, as often as possible. It is a GI bug and soap and water is the only way to decrease the spread. Wish I had realized this then.

I really hope that everyone understands I mean no offence with quoting the above post, but it does seem a little odd, but I think it probably does not read how it was intended to come across.

As per the letter they sent out, the easiest way to try and avoid GI on a ship, as with avoiding GI in schools and workplaces, is to wash your hands before you eat and drink and after every toilet break and to follow what should be very basic hygiene procedures that we are all taught from childhood.

The hand gel is just an extra measure that they offer, which is up to debate as to how successful it is in terms of killing GI virus, but at least looks like they are taking the matter seriously.

When you see fellow cruisers leaving the toilet without washing their hands, or behaviour at the food stations as mentioned above, it does make you wonder!

A few sinks lined up at the entrance to restaurants would be some help. You can wash your hands when you leave your state room and then hold on to rails coming down stairs or push the lift button.

I may have dreamed it but I thought I read that the new Princess ship has sinks outside MDR.

I wash my hands with soap and then use a barrier cream product on my hands which I then spray with anti viral. When I get to MDR I just hold out my hands and get some of their product too. I find if I don't use the barrier cream my hands go dry and my nails flake.

May I ask what type of barrier cream you used to protect your hands from getting dried out from the sanitizing gel? I assume it wasn't a regular moisturizing lotion as that alone doesn't seem to do the job. Thx for your recommendation.

It might be kind to not assume that someone is practicing unsafe hygiene when they say "no thanks" to the gel squirters. I'm not sure that all this sanitizing - antibacterial stuff isn't creating super-bugs that handwashing wouldn't create. In my case, I don't want to use the gel when I have just washed my hands, after taking a shower and dressing and haven't touched anything - my husband opens the door for me, and presses the elevator button. So 3-4 minutes after leaving my cabin, having just washed my hands, what is the point of using the gel? The result is dried out cracked hands.

I'd like to see if I could find this barrier cream mentioned. I did have a lotion that had a sanitizer built in, but it was very greasy. University of Washington Medical Center has a kinder sanitizer that isn't so harsh, but it may be more costly.

I like the idea of sinks outside the MDR - oh, wait, there are sinks in the bathrooms, right outside the MDR.

Beth

Archived