Just back from Explorer

We just returned from a 5 day quickie to Bemuda on Explorer. I didn't have very high expectations mostly because of the negative comments I saw on this board. However, we were pleasantly surprised by the appearance of the ship. She's in great shape. We did have a strange experience the first night and I'm wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience or if this was just a fluke. It's been a few years since we sailed on RCL so I'm not sure. It may just be the new normal. The first night we did not get our bags until 5pm. The first time in 32 cruises that has happened. When we returned to the cabin after the safety drill we found the bed protector had been removed and we had not yet received our luggage. Thought this was odd. While we were unpacking the attendant came back and handed us the Cruise Compass for the following day which was also odd. At that time she asked if we needed anything and we said no. We left the cabin about 6 for cocktails, the show and dinner. When we returned the cabin at about 10:30 it was in the same condition we left it in. Bed wasn't turned down,the drapes were open and the towels we had used when we showered were all still on the floor. Called guest services and they assured us that someone would be sent to clean up the cabin. We went out to one of the lounges had some drinks and listened to some music. Returned to the cabin an hour later to find the drapes drawn closed and a bucket of cleaning materials outside the door but the bathroom had not been cleaned and the dirty towels were still on the floor. We went down to guest services and they again said they would take care of it. Probably about 1/2 hour later some one showed up and cleaned up the bathroom and gave us fresh towels. The next day when we saw the cabin attendant we asked her what had happened the night before. She said that because they work so hard the first day turning the ship over they don't have to do a second service the first night. DH asked her if this was an RCL policy. She said no it was her deck supervisors policy. This happened Saturday night. Monday morning the head of housekeeping knocked on our door with a profuse apology, said he had spoken with our attendant and the deck supervisor. He promised us it would not happen again and hoped that it would not change our feelings about Royal Caribbean. The rest of the week the service was exemplary. In fact, we had towel animals every night which I've read on these boards is not the norm anymore. We have been on 32 cruises on various cruise lines. We have sailed enough with RCL to have Diamond status. Plus, we were in a Jr suite. I find it mind boggling that this kind of thing would happen. So my question is has anyone else had this kind of experience. If anyone has any other questions about Explorer I would be happy to answer if I can.

We've sailed in a JS on Explorer several times and to be perfectly honest have never noticed whether the cabin was serviced a second time and certainly wouldn't have made a fuss about it in any event. If necessary, I might have called the steward on the cabin phone and asked for clean towels but that's about it. Wouldn't have gotten her in trouble with her supervisor in any event.

No one answered the cabin steward phone. We tried that first. Sounds to me like it's the new norm. A further deterioration of the product. Not the kind of service I've been used to when cruising. They did take care of it but, two days later isn't exactly being on top of the situation.

Apart from that one issue the cruise exceeded my expectations. The ship is still beautiful. The cruise director was terrific. We had a really nice relaxing week. For the first time in several years we used traditional seating in the MDR and shared dinner with some very nice people. The entertainment was very good. The food isn't what it used to be but I didn't expect it to be. Other than that first night all the service was excellent. Our waiter Edmund and asst Dimitar were as good as it has ever been. What bugs me about this is that none of this was the fault of the staff. They work very hard for long hours and I appreciate that but RCL as well as other mass market lines keep decreasing staff and increasing the workload and then blame the staff for less than perfect performance. Why should staff be penalized if feedback is less than perfect. The staff doesn't have anything to do with inadequate staffing patterns. I'm getting off my soapbox now. I still love cruising.

We are leaving Saturday on Explorer. Glad to hear the ship is in good shape. That was my concern also.

We have never had that issue before either with the cleaning of the rooms. Maybe it was an isolated incident. I do hope we get our luggage early, as this is the first time we have early seating. We are traveling with my mother in law and my two grandchildren so our usual late seating was not an option this time.

What day or days was the ice show? Want to get those tickets as soon as they are available.

One ridiculous question, but some family members were wondering? Was there escargor available? I know there has been an issue.

We plan on having a great time

travelgirl - we just came off the EOS last month - service was fantastic on the cruise. The ship is beautiful and kept immaculate. Never had an issue with our room steward. They have a system where you can place a card in your door slot to let the cabin steward know you are out and about - he/she will than redo your cabin.

As for getting luggage before dinner, it's hit or miss situation. We had three balcony cabins next to each other with a total of 10 pieces of luggage between 5 adults - the luggage for my cabin did not arrive until after 6 PM, the other two cabins had their luggage before the muster drill. We weren't too worried since we know that not everyone can be the first to get their luggage. The cabin stewards work really hard to try and please everyone. If you plan on using the pool/hot tub on embarkation day be sure to pack your bathing suit and coverup in a tote bag.

As for the Ice Show - we didn't have to get tickets. The show takes place at 2 PM and 4 PM on Day 2 and Day 8 (both are sea days). You are assigned a time to attend according your muster station. The system seems to work well. If you are traveling with others and they get assigned a different time it's not a problem - just go down to Studio B and there will be a standby line for them. Haven't heard of anyone being turned away yet. Even though we had three cabins next to each other we had two different muster stations - if was not an issue for my dad to attend the show with us.

We have sailed on 8 cruise in the past but this was our first with Royal Caribbean. We enjoyed sailing on EOS and with RC. We have now booked Oasis for Dec '13 and rebooked EOS for May '14. We always remember the good time during our vacations and not the minor imperfections we may come across.

Enjoy your cruise! I'll be somewhere on the shore of Staten Island waving as the ship sails under the Verrazzano Bridge. Go up to the top most deck forward - it is surely a sight to be so close to the underneath of the bridge.

Guest maddycat
We just returned from a 5 day quickie to Bemuda on Explorer. I didn't have very high expectations mostly because of the negative comments I saw on this board. However, we were pleasantly surprised by the appearance of the ship. She's in great shape. We did have a strange experience the first night and I'm wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience or if this was just a fluke. It's been a few years since we sailed on RCL so I'm not sure. It may just be the new normal. The first night we did not get our bags until 5pm. The first time in 32 cruises that has happened. When we returned to the cabin after the safety drill we found the bed protector had been removed and we had not yet received our luggage. Thought this was odd. While we were unpacking the attendant came back and handed us the Cruise Compass for the following day which was also odd. At that time she asked if we needed anything and we said no. We left the cabin about 6 for cocktails, the show and dinner. When we returned the cabin at about 10:30 it was in the same condition we left it in. Bed wasn't turned down,the drapes were open and the towels we had used when we showered were all still on the floor. Called guest services and they assured us that someone would be sent to clean up the cabin. We went out to one of the lounges had some drinks and listened to some music. Returned to the cabin an hour later to find the drapes drawn closed and a bucket of cleaning materials outside the door but the bathroom had not been cleaned and the dirty towels were still on the floor. We went down to guest services and they again said they would take care of it. Probably about 1/2 hour later some one showed up and cleaned up the bathroom and gave us fresh towels. The next day when we saw the cabin attendant we asked her what had happened the night before. She said that because they work so hard the first day turning the ship over they don't have to do a second service the first night. DH asked her if this was an RCL policy. She said no it was her deck supervisors policy. This happened Saturday night. Monday morning the head of housekeeping knocked on our door with a profuse apology, said he had spoken with our attendant and the deck supervisor. He promised us it would not happen again and hoped that it would not change our feelings about Royal Caribbean. The rest of the week the service was exemplary. In fact, we had towel animals every night which I've read on these boards is not the norm anymore. We have been on 32 cruises on various cruise lines. We have sailed enough with RCL to have Diamond status. Plus, we were in a Jr suite. I find it mind boggling that this kind of thing would happen. So my question is has anyone else had this kind of experience. If anyone has any other questions about Explorer I would be happy to answer if I can.

For several years we have been cruising on the Explorer twice a year. The last time was this past April. Our cabins have always been cleaned twice a day.

The cabins on RCI ships do not have bed protectors. What I think you are refering to is a decorative fabric runner that is used in place of a bed spread.

We were on Explorer in Dec. and had no problems receiving our luggage or with the room being serviced twice a day. I think your experience was out of the norm.

As they say, Shyte happens. It seems so minor that I wouldn't let it effect my cruise in any way, shape or form.

starfish,

Thanks for that information about the ice show tickets. that has been changed since we were last on. You had to go down and get on line at a certain time for the tickets. We have 6 cabins and is possible we will have different muster stations so I will keep that standy line in mind.

We always change for dinner for the first night, but we don't have our luggage, we don't change. As simple as that. Not a big issue, the overall vacation and having a good time with family is what matters.

My 2 and 4 year old grandchildren will love sailing under the bridge. I'm 56 and I sill love it!!!

We sail on the Explorer often and always have excellent service.

Regarding the luggage. The Explorer allows passengers to stay on board up until 10:30 or 11:00am. That is much later than the other ships. This causes all the turn around activities, such as luggage screening, to run a little later. On our last cruise my luggage arrived at 2 but my companion's didn't arrive until 5:30. She checked in several hours after me.

Travellgirl--I don't recall seeing escargot on the menu. The ice show on Explorer was the best one we've ever seen. The cast was fantastic.

Starfish-- We did Oasis about 3 years ago. Enjoy! You'll love it. Amazing ship.

That incident didn't ruin our cruise. Thanks everyone for your responses. I'm glad to know it was just an isolated incident.

Could you tell me what toiletry items were provided? I've seen posts that said only a generic shampoo/body wash in the shower and seen others that said individual bottles of shampoo, conditioner, body wash, and lotion. Thanks.

OP - I do not think your experience on your first day is the new norm at all - I think it is very unusual - sailed Explorer 3X and never had this experience. Sounds like a glitch with your stewardess - especially since you got a visit from the supervisor the next day. Glad the rest of your trip was great.

I've encountered the "no luggage until late" thing a couple of times on different ships, including as late as "sometime during the late dinner seating". Usually, though it's pretty clear that this is *not* an isolated experience as the people moving bags are still running around delivering bags. Stuff happens, the people moving bags are often engineering staff, and I'd much rather have a late bag and a functional boat than a timely bag and (for example) a nonfunctional laundry room.

Did they repair the in room GPS ON CHANNEL forty?

We were on the same Bermuda cruise as the OP and had a fabulous time.

We had evening turn down service on the first night. Our room steward was fabulous and we hope we have him again in august. Our bags were at our room about 2pm. It was also the first time the room steward and deck supervisor both introduced themselves and gave us their card in case we needed anything. We had a fun towel animal each night including some we had never seen before.

There was no escargot on the menu, it was replaced by scallops...which were delicious and served in the same dish the escargot used to come in.

The GPS on the TV was working fine. We love that channel!

I also love the new process for the ice show. We arrived 10 minutes before our show and there were lots of seats. A must see show!

We sailed on the Explorer last year and boarded about 11:15, but as someone else mentioned, the arrival into Bayonne and the departure times off the ship were a little later this year so we did not board the ship until 11:45 or so.

Only 51 days until we sail her again!

Why do you need the bathroom cleaned the 1st night or multiple times a day for that matter? Also, why throw your towels on the floor when you could just as easily hang them up?

Personally I think some people mistake cabin attendant for personal servants :confused:.

Why do you need the bathroom cleaned the 1st night or multiple times a day for that matter? Also, why throw your towels on the floor when you could just as easily hang them up?

Personally I think some people mistake cabin attendant for personal servants :confused:.

I think your comment completely misses the point. RCI policy, as admitted by the cabin steward and housekeeping manager who ultimately apologized, is to make up the room twice a day. The cabin steward and apparently the first-line supervisor were not following RCI policy. It sounds like the issue was correctly addressed by the higher level manager on board and OP was able to go happily on with the cruise.

While I don't doubt that some people mistake ship crew for personal servenats -- we've all seen it -- I think it's entirely unfair of you to categorize the OP in such a manner. The OP was simply expecting a crew member to perform the minimum duties of his or her job, which I think is perfectly reasonable. Of course, if you don't want your cabin made up twice a day on your next cruise and wish to reuse your towels, then that's great, let your cabin steward know / hang up your towels, and your wishes will be accommodated.

Archived