What's With the Weather?

KCI

We leave on July 3 for a land, cruise tour of Alaska. Read all the helpful info here and have all our layers ready to pack. Tonight on the news I hear that Fairbanks was 88 today and after looking on the weather channel online, I see it is scheduled for high temps for several days. Do I suddenly change all my carefully planned wardrobe and pack as if I were doing another Caribbean cruise?

75 degrees above zero right now in Anchorage. The past two days were miserable here. No clouds, no wind. Houses here don't have air conditioning. They are built to keep heat in and not let it out. WalMart, Fred Meyer, Target and Home Depot all sold out of fans. I hope the cool weather comes back soon.

Actually, it is not unusual to see Fairbanks in the 80's in the summer. It is unusual to see Anchorage in the 80's...

The forecast is the forecast. You can get a 10 day forecast for anyplace you are going to visit in Alaska. then you can get an idea of the temps for your visit.

There are no hard and fast rules for packing in Alaska. Flexibility and the unexpected are the rules-not the exceptions.

I'll tell you what I seem to say all the time: take layers and plan for anything and everything. Long pants and shorts, long and short sleeves, etc. I've been in Alaska when it was hot and people were not prepared with the appropriate clothing... and I'm talking about the SE ports, not interior. But it can also be quite cold when viewing glaciers or out on boat tours. I always take a bit of everything, and usually use most of it.

I've been checking the forecast for our trip (leaving tomorrow) for the last several days. Each location has bounced up and down over a 10 degree range, and from "clear" to "rain 50%." So the only thing to do is pack for 50-80, clear to heavy rain. In layers.

We just finished packing, and decided it was better to add a third suitcase than risk being unprepared. [Rick Steves would hate to have us on one of his tours!]

We have been to Alaska on three cruises. May, June,and Aug.

Dressing in layers is the key. You just never know what to expect! It can be warm in port but when you are on your balcony or on upper decks in the wind it can be quite cold.:)

Archived