What happens now?

lah3185

I have never cruised before. It is now 67 days out and all is paid for. I used Princess for my plane tickets. Do I receive anything from Princess about the flights anymore or do I just arrive at the airport and then the airline will have tickets, etc. I am flying aircanada direct from Las Vegas to Vancouver and when I go on their website it says I ticketed from an outside source. Does princess send anything to the house or is everything by email? Just not sure what happens now.

No, Princess hasn't sent anything for years.

What you do is go to the Princess website and sign in to "My Princess." Click on the link that says "Cruise Personalizer." Fill out your personal information form with your name, address, passport #, credit card #, etc. You can go to Excursions and reserve any excursions you want. You don't pay until you board when the excursions are charged to your onboard folio. Once everything says "Complete," there are links on the right to print your Travel Summary, Boarding Pass, Luggage Tags and other documents.

I would suggest printing everything since your Travel Summary will have all of your flight and/or pre-cruise information. Print out as many luggage tags as you want or need. I always print out two for each bag plus one for my carry-on (for "just in case.") You fold as directed and then staple them. You can put clear packing tape over them for strength and weather protection, punch a hole and bring some garbage bag wire ties to secure them. Or, you can get luggage tag holders. They have them here on Cruise Critic in the store and are re-usable.

Then, you can do what I do: dream of my cruise, check to see where "my" ship is and how much closer I am to boarding her, look at the deck plans over and over, etc. :)

I have never cruised before. It is now 67 days out and all is paid for. I used Princess for my plane tickets. Do I receive anything from Princess about the flights anymore or do I just arrive at the airport and then the airline will have tickets, etc. I am flying aircanada direct from Las Vegas to Vancouver and when I go on their website it says I ticketed from an outside source. Does princess send anything to the house or is everything by email? Just not sure what happens now.

Congrats on your first cruise. Back in the day everything was done via snail mail. Everyone got excited when it was their turn to do the document dance. Nowadays, it's all electronic. If you are registered with Princess, you can log onto your "My Princess" site and then click on the cruise personalizer. Once there, you'll have to input your emergency contact information, immigration information, and credit card information for your onboard spending. Next you'll be able to print out your boarding pass and luggage tags. If you aren't registered, you'll have to call Princess so you can be registered. As far as the airline tickets go, they are most likely electronic tickets. If you don't already have it, you can get your confirmation from Princess then go to the Air Canada site to say select your seats. I'm not sure how Air Canada does on line check in so you'll have to check their website......:):):)

Bob

you can go to the airline website, check in 24 hours before the flight and print out your boarding passes:D

Enjoy your first cruise:)

And... if there are excursions that you really want to go on ... book them now online. They may be full when you board.

And historically, the excursion prices go up as the time for the cruise gets closer.

For our upcoming Australia cruise they're explicitly stating there's a 5% discount for booking online up to six days before the cruise starts.

There's usually no penalty for changing your mind either. You can typically cancel up to 24 hours before the excursion. Read the excursion description carefully though. A few have more restrictive cancellation periods, they will be very clear about this in the detailed description.

I would definitely check up on your flight arrangement. Make sure your flights will absolutely get you into Vancouver early in the morning of your cruise (hopefully, though you'll have a flight for the day before and a hotel room for the night). If not, call up your TA or Princess rep and demand it get changed. Not to scare you, but you will need to get on your ship in Vancouver as Princess can't let you on the ship after that port, if something goes awry with your flight arrangements. IMO, they get rather cavalier about such details or let the airline get away with making bad changes for their passengers.

For all other details, check the above posts about filling in your info on the cruise personalizer/My Princess areas on the Princess website. Put together your packing/to do checklist (putting vacation hold on mail, canceling newspaper delivery or asking a neighbor to pick yours up every day; making up a itinerary/emergency phone numbers list to give to a neighbor and family member; hair cuts; etc.). Think about what you want to do in the different ports (some excursions/activities would need to be booked ahead of time, but if you're just going to tour on your own, get a good guide book with maps and also google the various ports as you'll find some good info that way).

At least a week before the cruise (you'll actually be able to do this after filling in the cruise personalizer with your passport and emergency info), print out your boarding docs and luggage tags (I usually p/o a few extra). Some people will laminate the tags, others put clear plastic tape over, or something I like to do is to fold until they fit inside a clear name badge holder (Walmart, stationery stores have these).

When you get to the Vancouver terminal, you'll need your passport and any boarding docs you (hopefully) printed out ready to give to the check in clerk as well as a credit card. Outside there will be porters to take your checked in luggage, so again, make sure you have your ID with you. Also have any valuables, medications, sunscreen, maybe a change of clothing in your carry ons. There will be several lines, so look for the one for your deck or go in the general line if that's how it's set up there. People with platinum/elite status as well as those in full suites will have their own lines.

At the check in counter, the clerk will look over your info, swipe your credit card (you can use one for everyone in your cabin if you wish) and that's how your folio will be paid at the end of the cruise (you won't have to carry cash around on the ship). You'll be given your cabin card and sent off to the security line. Your carryons will go on the conveyer belt to be screened and you'll go through the sensor just like at the airport -- a good idea is to carry a ziplock bag in which you can put any coins, metal objects before you get to this point as it will save time.

Once through security, there will be a room to wait in until your boarding number is called. Your passport will be checked again and then you'll get to the photography area for your embarkation photo (no charge for this to be taken and you can decide before the end of the cruise if you wish to purchase). Then you get on the ship and a crew member will scan your card and take your photo to be embedded for checking whenever you get back on board in any port.

Then you'll be directed to an elevator and told which floor to get off on to get to your cabin (yea, on Princess you can go immediately to your cabin).

After that, the only mandatory thing until disembarkation day is the muster drill, which will happen before sailaway. That info will be in the Patters, which will be in your cabin (after that you get the Patters at night for the next day).

You'll enjoy Alaska and your cruise.

Regarding the airline tickets, I would suggest:

Visit the Princess Cruise Personilizer and print out your air travel summary

My summary had a Princess EZ Air reference no. and the flights. Of course, check for correctness.

Call Air Canada and have them translate the EZ Air reference number to their number

Go on line to Air Canada, or over the phone, select your seats (am assuming AC allows you to select seats).

24 hours prior to the flight print your Air Canada Boarding passes.

Regarding all the other documentation you will need to fill it out completely, especially the immigration information and then print it all out.

I would definitely check up on your flight arrangement. Make sure your flights will absolutely get you into Vancouver early in the morning of your cruise (hopefully' date=' though you'll have a flight for the day before and a hotel room for the night). If not, call up your TA or Princess rep and demand it get changed. Not to scare you, but you will need to get on your ship in Vancouver as Princess can't let you on the ship after that port, if something goes awry with your flight arrangements. IMO, they get rather cavalier about such details or let the airline get away with making bad changes for their passengers.

For all other details, check the above posts about filling in your info on the cruise personalizer/My Princess areas on the Princess website. Put together your packing/to do checklist (putting vacation hold on mail, canceling newspaper delivery or asking a neighbor to pick yours up every day; making up a itinerary/emergency phone numbers list to give to a neighbor and family member; hair cuts; etc.). Think about what you want to do in the different ports (some excursions/activities would need to be booked ahead of time, but if you're just going to tour on your own, get a good guide book with maps and also google the various ports as you'll find some good info that way).

At least a week before the cruise (you'll actually be able to do this after filling in the cruise personalizer with your passport and emergency info), print out your boarding docs and luggage tags (I usually p/o a few extra). Some people will laminate the tags, others put clear plastic tape over, or something I like to do is to fold until they fit inside a clear name badge holder (Walmart, stationery stores have these).

When you get to the Vancouver terminal, you'll need your passport and any boarding docs you (hopefully) printed out ready to give to the check in clerk as well as a credit card. Outside there will be porters to take your checked in luggage, so again, make sure you have your ID with you. Also have any valuables, medications, sunscreen, maybe a change of clothing in your carry ons. There will be several lines, so look for the one for your deck or go in the general line if that's how it's set up there. People with platinum/elite status as well as those in full suites will have their own lines.

At the check in counter, the clerk will look over your info, swipe your credit card (you can use one for everyone in your cabin if you wish) and that's how your folio will be paid at the end of the cruise (you won't have to carry cash around on the ship). You'll be given your cabin card and sent off to the security line. Your carryons will go on the conveyer belt to be screened and you'll go through the sensor just like at the airport -- a good idea is to carry a ziplock bag in which you can put any coins, metal objects before you get to this point as it will save time.

Once through security, there will be a room to wait in until your boarding number is called. Your passport will be checked again and then you'll get to the photography area for your embarkation photo (no charge for this to be taken and you can decide before the end of the cruise if you wish to purchase). Then you get on the ship and a crew member will scan your card and take your photo to be embedded for checking whenever you get back on board in any port.

Then you'll be directed to an elevator and told which floor to get off on to get to your cabin (yea, on Princess you can go immediately to your cabin).

After that, the only mandatory thing until disembarkation day is the muster drill, which will happen before sailaway. That info will be in the Patters, which will be in your cabin (after that you get the Patters at night for the next day).

You'll enjoy Alaska and your cruise.[/quote']

Thanks Crusin' Chick - Good review even for those of us who have cruised multiple times!!

Check your flight info at least once a week before the crusie -- flight times are often changed. If a change happens that makes your connections "if-y" contact your travel agent and/or Princess immediatley!

In my case, Princess EZAir changed my airline & didn't notify me directly-- just posted it on my Personalizer. Keep checking!

If you booked your tickets through Princess you need to go to your cruise personalizer. Under your flight information summary you will see two numbers 1) air reservation code 2) air confirmation number.

Write down the air reservation code. Go to the viruallythere.com website. This is the travel industry's SABRE website.You have to enter the air reservation code as listed on your cruise personalizer and your surname. They will then ask for a travel verification code - punch in PRINCESS - your flight information should appear. In my experience you need to check in, select your seats etc. On this site. Your e-tickets/receipt can be printed from this site. You can also request mobile contact to your cell phone in case of flight changes on this site. Certainly, in my experience all of your information will be found on the virtually there website and not on the airline's website. This is the reason the Air Canada site states that your tickets are booked by an outside source. If I recall your e-tickets/receipts are posted around 45 days before your cruise so they may not be posted yet.

Hope that this helps.

PS the website is: https://www.virtuallythere.com

...check in clerk as well as a credit card.....There will be several lines' date=' so look for the one for your deck or go in the general line if that's how it's set up there.

Once through security, there will be a room to wait in until your boarding number is called. Your passport will be checked again and then you'll get to the photography area for your embarkation photo

[/quote']

I am sailing out of Los Angeles and I have a few questions about checking in.

Is Princess set up the same in LA as in Vancouver with regards to the check in line for the specific deck?

Is the boarding number just for people who arrive before a certain time and if you arrive after they have called all the numbers, you can just walk onto the ship after checking in?

TIA

Archived