Southwest flights grounded

waterbug123

Just a reminder that things can go wrong and not to fly the day of the cruise.

Keith

Yep, several potential issues for cruisers in this case:

1. Southwest doesn't endorse tickets over to other airlines, and as I understand it the cancelled flights were cancelled because it was near the end of the operational day for WN (they don't fly redeye flights) so a pax headed to a Friday cruise... oops! No more WN flight that day and WN won't shift you to another airline. Result: Not gonna make the cruise.

2. Pax flying Friday for a Saturday cruise, flight cancelled, all pax have to be r rebooked on full or nearly full WN flights on Saturday. Result: Somebody is gonna get left behind for lack of seats and not make the cruise.

3. Pax flying Saturday for Saturday cruise: Some Saturday flights were cancelled because the crews couldn't get in Friday night due to cancelled flights. See 1 & 2 above for potential problems getting rebooked in time.

I hope so to, another reason to go a day early.

But, for those who were already on late flights the day before their cruise, they may still be SOL. If you were a cancelled flight because of the end of operational day, you may or may not get on a flight the next day in time to make your cruise. In that case, you had better have your passport with you to try to catch up to the ship!!! Or have a spare cache of cash to buy that VERY expensive last-second ticket on another airline to get there, provided there is actually an alternative airline and flight to get you there.

The issue of WN not booking over to another airline in case of MX is one reason why I don't fly WN. I have no desire to pay full-fare at the last second on another airline to get where I need to be and then hassle with WN to try to get a refund on my ticket.

Archived