Transfers from Houston to Galveston

Wendytx

Hi all,

Just trying to figure out how far out we need to book transfer from Houston to Galveston~ for Nov. 23 cruise on Triumph. We fly home Thanksgiving Day at noon- hopefully that won't be a problem. Should I book now or wait till closer to trip?

Also, I've found transfer prices to be quite high~ recommendations appreciated! The best quote I've gotten so far is $135 each way- family of 5.

Thanks!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Country Inns at Houston Hobby airport has a deal for $200 (for 5) round trip provided you stay there for a night

Is that including the hotel stay? It sounds kinda high since Galveston is only 40 miles from Hobby...but I don't know, I live here so always drive myself.

Country Inns at Houston Hobby airport has a deal for $200 (for 5) round trip provided you stay there for a night

Is this deal posted online? Haven't seen it...maybe need to call. Thanks for the info :)

We just cruised on the Magic last week, we used Galveston limo from Hobby to Galveston & then they picked us up at cruise port on sunday & back to hobby, cost was 80. for 2, might be cheaper for larger group.

We just cruised on the Magic last week, we used Galveston limo from Hobby to Galveston & then they picked us up at cruise port on sunday & back to hobby, cost was 80. for 2, might be cheaper for larger group.

That's not bad. Is that for round-trip?

I would look at what your cruise line suggests. I believe they say flights should be after 1:30 pm? Time of year also has an affect, fog can be an issue. Of course if everything works perfectly, you will make it with no problem. The airlines want you there two hours early and may give away your seat if you don't make it. Only you can determine your ability to take risk.

Thanks for the advice. We already had credit through Southwest Airlines so we wanted to be able to use it. 12:00 noon is the last flight going home. So we'll take our chances. If we miss it and have to stay an extra night, I guess it won't be the end of the world!

Increase you odds to get to airport by:

Use a private limo transfer service for transfer

to assure control over timing.

And disembarkation should be walk off with bags to assure getting off early.

First priority group off isn't walk off with bags

Do not put out bags in hall night before. Walk off in morning with bags from cabin.

If you don't walk off with bags

arrange to be in

first priority disembarkation group.

And get there early and be first in that group.

Good luck and enjoy your cruise.

Increase you odds to get to airport by:

Use a private limo transfer service for transfer

to assure control over timing.

And disembarkation should be walk off with bags to assure getting off early.

First priority group off isn't walk off with bags

Do not put out bags in hall night before. Walk off in morning with bags from cabin.

If you don't walk off with bags

arrange to be in

first priority disembarkation group.

And get there early and be first in that group.

Good luck and enjoy your cruise.

Thank you for the tips!

Hi all,

Just trying to figure out how far out we need to book transfer from Houston to Galveston~ for Nov. 23 cruise on Triumph. We fly home Thanksgiving Day at noon- hopefully that won't be a problem. Should I book now or wait till closer to trip?

Also, I've found transfer prices to be quite high~ recommendations appreciated! The best quote I've gotten so far is $135 each way- family of 5.

Thanks!

Sailed out of Galveston for the first time this past march. Flew into Hobby and had a town car set up with extreme elegance. Anyways to make a long story short, they never showed up and I was left to find my own way to Galveston. I ended up taking a taxi for a flat rate of $90 one way. I'm not sure why a plain old taxi is not recommended more often but it was definitely very easy and just as cheap as the town car was supposed to be. The only difference is there is no "what if they don't show up" to worry about. Just collect bags, walk right out the door and find the taxi stand. Very easy and simple. If I ever sail out of Galveston again I will not bother dealing with trying to reserve a town car, just hop in a cab and go!

After the cruise I took the RCI transfers (very cost effective since I was traveling solo) back to hobby and was checked in and at my gate by 11:00 am at the latest.

Sailed out of Galveston for the first time this past march. Flew into Hobby and had a town car set up with extreme elegance. Anyways to make a long story short, they never showed up and I was left to find my own way to Galveston. I ended up taking a taxi for a flat rate of $90 one way. I'm not sure why a plain old taxi is not recommended more often but it was definitely very easy and just as cheap as the town car was supposed to be. The only difference is there is no "what if they don't show up" to worry about. Just collect bags, walk right out the door and find the taxi stand. Very easy and simple. If I ever sail out of Galveston again I will not bother dealing with trying to reserve a town car, just hop in a cab and go!

After the cruise I took the RCI transfers (very cost effective since I was traveling solo) back to hobby and was checked in and at my gate by 11:00 am at the latest.

So the cab fare was a flat rate not based on time? Which taxi company did you use?

So the cab fare was a flat rate not based on time? Which taxi company did you use?

Don't remember the name of the taxi company but it was the only taxi stand and it was literally like 20 ft from the exit door at baggage claim. Can't miss it. When I asked about the price, I was given the option of $90 flat rate or do the meter thing. I asked which would be cheaper and was told it would be about the same. So to be safe I chose the flat rate. The meter was running though and when we arrived at my hotel on the seawall it read $93. Very quick and easy. Before my trip I did tons of research and no one every recommended just doing a taxi, so I booked with Extreme Elegence. Then after the "no show" I didn't really have many options except the taxi. It worked out in the end and next time I will def not bother with the extra stress of worrying about "if" my ride is gonna show up. Just hopt in a cab and go!

Don't remember the name of the taxi company but it was the only taxi stand and it was literally like 20 ft from the exit door at baggage claim. Can't miss it. When I asked about the price, I was given the option of $90 flat rate or do the meter thing. I asked which would be cheaper and was told it would be about the same. So to be safe I chose the flat rate. The meter was running though and when we arrived at my hotel on the seawall it read $93. Very quick and easy. Before my trip I did tons of research and no one every recommended just doing a taxi, so I booked with Extreme Elegence. Then after the "no show" I didn't really have many options except the taxi. It worked out in the end and next time I will def not bother with the extra stress of worrying about "if" my ride is gonna show up. Just hopt in a cab and go!

Do you know if taxis will be readily available and/or have inflated prices on Thanksgiving Day? There are 5 of us...

Also, has anyone used Z Limos before? If so, would you use them again?

Do you know if taxis will be readily available and/or have inflated prices on Thanksgiving Day? There are 5 of us...

I would assume taxis would be available on thanksgiving day but I have no idea about the inflated prices. The taxi I was in was a smaller SUV that could hold 4 easily but prob not 5.....

I've used Z Limo - not to go to Galveston since I live in Houston - but between home and IAH (over 50 miles). They have always been very punctual. However, the last time I was over charged on my credit card and although they said it would be corrected, it never was. Therefore, they have lost a customer over $30 ($15 each way).

Archived