taking alcohol aboard on embarkation day

Canuk Lindylou

In the past, we've packed a box of wine in the suitcase when embarking. Information for our next cruise on the Ruby in August states that one bottle each is allowed, cases will be scanned and alcohol removed. Has anyone had boxes of wine confiscated or are they looking for bottles??? Can't wait to cruise again!!

In the past, we've packed a box of wine in the suitcase when embarking. Information for our next cruise on the Ruby in August states that one bottle each is allowed, cases will be scanned and alcohol removed. Has anyone had boxes of wine confiscated or are they looking for bottles??? Can't wait to cruise again!!

Yes, they are in Vancouver.

Don't know if any were confiscated. We paid our $ 15.00 per bottle to the Princess alcohol fund :(.

Theo

From what I have read here on Cruise Critic, Princess has been allowing wine to be brought onboard on embarkation day at no additional charge in Europe. In my experience, Princess is much more lenient in Europe.

There was a thread recently on this very subject. Scan down a few pages or do a search.

Lew

Information for our next cruise on the Ruby in August states that one bottle each is allowed, cases will be scanned and alcohol removed.

What is the source of this "information"? Princess has been pretty consistent lately in making its wine policy known, including printing it clearly on the luggage tags. The policy is: one free bottle per person per voyage. Additional bottles (750s) CAN be brought on board and will be assessed a $15 per bottle corkage fee upon embarkation. To avoid delay and being called down to pay at an inconvenient time, it is best to carry them on and declare them as you go through security. You will then be directed to a special table where your additional bottles will be counted, the fees charged and the bottles stamped to show that you have already paid. When you present a stamped bottle to your server aboard the ship, no further fee is charged. There have been reports that boxed wine has been allowed with the first 1500ml being free (if there are 2 adults in the cabin) and the remaining wine assessed a fee pro rated at $15 per 750ml.

Now, this is the OFFICIAL policy. Enforcement is not consistent from port to port. Not sure what Ruby will do in August, but it should be no more restrictive than the above. It might be more lenient.

Note: when leaving from Australia, the above may not apply.

Quick question.

Augast 16 , rome to venice?

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We were on the Ruby in May doing a 26 day Trans-Atlantic/Mediterranean/Greek Isles cruise. At our CC get-together, the Hotel Captain was asked about this. He said you could bring on one bottle of wine pp per port. In Ft. Lauderdale, no one asked about wine you were carrying at all. We had two bottles in our carry-on and no one asked to see it. No one brought up boxed wine.

We had friends board in sydney with a box in their suitcase .... Had a laugh told them they may need to collect their bag later from the naughty cnr ..... She rang during sail away to say bag arrived in cabin with no problems ...... That is not saying that a person a few cabins down may have had theirs confiscated.... I. Think you just need to take a chance....

We took 6 bottles on in Whittier 2 weeks ago in our carry on. Expected to pay the $15 corkage on the extras. They saw them and directed us to the table on the other side of the wall from the screening area to settle up. Bad table placement, it was packed with people. Bought a bottle in port along the way and they didn’t say anything when it was brought onboard.

We took 6 bottles on in Whittier 2 weeks ago in our carry on. Expected to pay the $15 corkage on the extras. They saw them and directed us to the table on the other side of the wall from the screening area to settle up. Bad table placement, it was packed with people. Bought a bottle in port along the way and they didn’t say anything when it was brought onboard.

Thanks I was going to try bringing on a bottle from port. Don't mind paying the fee.

Every Princess cruise we have brought a box. This was prior to the new rule. We never had a problem and before we found the 3 l. boxes, we did bring 5 l.

There has been no information forthcoming, positive or negative, regarding box wine packed in checked luggage. Bottles, yes. Boxes, no.

My box of wine made it onboard with no problem. It was in my checked baggage. This was last month on the Sapphire in San Pedro. Unfortunately, there is no consistency so it's hard to say the same thing will happen on another ship in a different port.

Has anyone brought wine aboard from a port of call???? I don't mind the $15.00 fee if I can do this. I'm going to Alaska, anyone try it?????

DW and I just took a 14 day b2b out of Vancouver to Alaska and back on Diamond Princess. We took on 2 x 750 ml bottles of wine at embarkation in my carry on. We were directed over to the "Alcohol table" where my carry on was checked. No problem, as we were still within the policy. On the return leg from Whittier, I again brought on 2 bottles - no problem, no charge, as we were now on a separate 7 day return itinerary. As we were getting off at our next port of call, Skagway, I asked the man seated at the "Alcohol table" if I could bring back any wine without paying the corkage fee. He said I was allowed 1 bottle. As I wasn't sure if he meant 1 bottle per person I only bought 1 bottle. When we got back on the ship I was directed back to the "Alcohol table", where my cabin number was recorded. No problem, no charge. At the next port, Juneau, there was no "Alcohol table" when getting off. I went into the liquor store in Skagway and was told that it was Princess policy to allow 1 bottle per person to be brought back onboard from each port without corkage fee. I bought 2 bottles for my wife and myself and when we got back to the ship there was no "Alcohol table. Same thing at Ketchikan. So, again, it appears to be pretty inconsistent with checking and enforcement, and can't speak to what Princess policy might be on other itineraries, but this was the situation in Alaska.

DW and I just took a 14 day b2b out of Vancouver to Alaska and back on Diamond Princess. We took on 2 x 750 ml bottles of wine at embarkation in my carry on. We were directed over to the "Alcohol table" where my carry on was checked. No problem, as we were still within the policy. On the return leg from Whittier, I again brought on 2 bottles - no problem, no charge, as we were now on a separate 7 day return itinerary. As we were getting off at our next port of call, Skagway, I asked the man seated at the "Alcohol table" if I could bring back any wine without paying the corkage fee. He said I was allowed 1 bottle. As I wasn't sure if he meant 1 bottle per person I only bought 1 bottle. When we got back on the ship I was directed back to the "Alcohol table", where my cabin number was recorded. No problem, no charge. At the next port, Juneau, there was no "Alcohol table" when getting off. I went into the liquor store in Skagway and was told that it was Princess policy to allow 1 bottle per person to be brought back onboard from each port without corkage fee. I bought 2 bottles for my wife and myself and when we got back to the ship there was no "Alcohol table. Same thing at Ketchikan. So, again, it appears to be pretty inconsistent with checking and enforcement, and can't speak to what Princess policy might be on other itineraries, but this was the situation in Alaska.

Thanks for the information. Hmmm... consistently inconsistent. This is beginning to sound like the TSA! :eek:

One question - was the "Alcohol Table" before or after the scanners?

Grey

Thanks just the info I was looking for.

I have heard alot of people say that some cruise lines are more lenient with carry-on alcohol in Europe.

Certainly when we boarded the Carnival Breeze in Barcelona last October we managed to take on a bottle of wine and a spirit each. I had a bottle of whisky and the OH had a bottle of gin. They didnt bat an eyelid.

Will try our luck again on our Crown Princess cruise out of Southampton in August and see how we get on.

Thanks for the information. Hmmm... consistently inconsistent. This is beginning to sound like the TSA! :eek:

One question - was the "Alcohol Table" before or after the scanners?

Grey

It is after the scanners when boarding, but they didn't always have it at the ports of call. I did see one guy have a bottle of liquor that he had in his backpack confiscated at Skagway.

Archived