Tipping in Australia and New Zealand

I am aware that is what the terminology is and many are aware of what Princess are doing. They have simply abolished the auto tips and somehow factored the daily tips into the fare.

Personally I have no problem with that system. That is the Australian way of doing things.

What really makes you wonder is that (we see it too often on here as well) there are many Australians that refuse to book Princess based cruise ships in Australia. They seek out a US travel agent, book a lower price and still think they can avoid having to pay the auto tips on board. That is how far Australians will go to avoid paying tips to Princess.

I am not sure they would save much by booking an Australian Princess cruise through an overseas TA. Has anyone has experience with that?

I agree that there can be big savings on cruises out of US ports, but our several cruises in January to March this year out of American ports were booked here and I don't think we paid more than if we booked with a US agent. The long cruise (47 nights) I know was a little cheaper for us.

Most of the examples I see of great savings through an overseas TA are when someone compares a "special" with a brochure price cruise. We also get great specials here. I received an email from Princess a couple of days ago with fantastic prices.

.... Australians do not tip generally.

And after 9 pages we are back to an answer for the OP's question. We actually had it in the first few replies until some &*#$&%# took the thread off on some sort of crazed abusive path.

I suggest the thread has run it's race. Nothing is ever a complete loss though & I have been able to add one person to my 'ignore' list - why is this function not available on this forum as it is on others? I am reminded of my old dad's advice - never argue with an idiot as to do so reverses places with them.

Happy cruising.

And after 9 pages we are back to an answer for the OP's question. We actually had it in the first few replies until some &*#$&%# took the thread off on some sort of crazed abusive path.

I suggest the thread has run it's race. Nothing is ever a complete loss though & I have been able to add one person to my 'ignore' list - why is this function not available on this forum as it is on others? I am reminded of my old dad's advice - never argue with an idiot as to do so reverses places with them.

Happy cruising.

The benefits of ignore lists is that it keeps people from telling lies and trying to retract truths other people say.

Didnt they just build the "hotel charge" into the fare?

Isnt that the reason that things on Princess like the coffee card $31 to US is $35 to Australians, UKP $8.05 per day includes service charge.

It is still there on ALL the Australian based ships, you just no longer have the ability to remove it. You are being forced to tip.

Only a "Hotel Charge" is not a Tip :)

Is the Service Charge hotels charge the same as a Gratuity or Tip?

Many hotels and catering venues include a “service charge” on top of their base prices (which came up in this post last year). Typical service charge amounts range from 18% to 22% tacked on to the base price for food and beverage charges. I have even seen rates as high as 25%. It is easy to assume, since these percentages are similar to what you would pay as a gratuity if you were to eat out at a nice restaurant, that the service charge is the equivalent of a gratuity. This would be a mistake.

In spite of how it may appear, the Service Charge that hotels tack onto the bill is not a gratuity – not even close. In fact, a hotel's own documents often explicitly state the two are not that same (though usually in the fine print). Service charges exist to help cover the indirect costs of supporting your food and beverage functions, such as cleaning, last-minute staffing additions, and replacement for broken or otherwise non-reusable serving items (plates, glasses, etc.). And, while the percentages venues use are in line with what you would add your dinner bill in a restaurant as a tip, the money collected from service charges very rarely, if ever, goes directly to anyone who actually worked your event.

A true gratuity, on the other hand, would go directly to venue staff and you determine who receives how much. In a future post, we'll look at ways to do this after the event has concluded.

~ Karl Baur, CMP • Project Director, RDL enterprises

Labels: budget, CMP, definitions, Karl Baur

What really makes you wonder is that (we see it too often on here as well) there are many Australians that refuse to book Princess based cruise ships in Australia. They seek out a US travel agent, book a lower price and still think they can avoid having to pay the auto tips on board. That is how far Australians will go to avoid paying tips to Princess.

Except they aren't doing that since Princess doesn't cover people outside the US booking with a US TA (unless they're existing Princess clients).

Only a "Hotel Charge" is not a Tip :)

Is the Service Charge hotels charge the same as a Gratuity or Tip?

Many hotels and catering venues include a “service charge” on top of their base prices (which came up in this post last year). Typical service charge amounts range from 18% to 22% tacked on to the base price for food and beverage charges. I have even seen rates as high as 25%. It is easy to assume, since these percentages are similar to what you would pay as a gratuity if you were to eat out at a nice restaurant, that the service charge is the equivalent of a gratuity. This would be a mistake.

In spite of how it may appear, the Service Charge that hotels tack onto the bill is not a gratuity – not even close. In fact, a hotel's own documents often explicitly state the two are not that same (though usually in the fine print). Service charges exist to help cover the indirect costs of supporting your food and beverage functions, such as cleaning, last-minute staffing additions, and replacement for broken or otherwise non-reusable serving items (plates, glasses, etc.). And, while the percentages venues use are in line with what you would add your dinner bill in a restaurant as a tip, the money collected from service charges very rarely, if ever, goes directly to anyone who actually worked your event.

A true gratuity, on the other hand, would go directly to venue staff and you determine who receives how much. In a future post, we'll look at ways to do this after the event has concluded.

~ Karl Baur, CMP • Project Director, RDL enterprises

Labels: budget, CMP, definitions, Karl Baur

There is mention in the post that a Hotel Service Charge goes to the business to cover miscellaneous costs and that it does not go to the staff directly.

On the other hand, a cruise ship charge (Hotel charge?) goes into a pool that goes directly to the staff. It is not income for the cruise line. How is that not a tip?

Ok, all fine. :) I've just never been to hairdresser like that.

Pushka, Just Cuts just cut hair! (Now say that quickly, three times. :D ) The only other services are washing and drying hair.

Nothing is ever a complete loss though & I have been able to add one person to my 'ignore' list - why is this function not available on this forum as it is on others?

Happy cruising.

Mr Walker, there is an 'ignore' poster's facility in your profile. Use this if you don't want to see a particular person's or persons' posts. Saves your blood pressure rising at times! :D

...and P&O's Australian ships were tipping was removed a year or so before Princess removed their's.

Except, if you are not an Australian or New Zealander, you still have tips/gratuities added. This happened to an acquaintance from England who booked a cruise to NZ (Brisbane-Brisbane) on our Sun Princess cruise last year.

Pushka, Just Cuts just cut hair! :D

My salon was doing it long before "Just Cuts" started in Oz.:)

Just Cuts started in 1990..

I bought mine in 1988.. But it has been going since 1979 in the same spot..just cutting hair...nothing else..not even shampoos..everyone comes in with clean hair, and gets a good haircut..and a free blowdry to tidy it up,.and to blow the loose hair off, nothing else is necessary..

And tips are accepted:D

There is mention in the post that a Hotel Service Charge goes to the business to cover miscellaneous costs and that it does not go to the staff directly.

On the other hand, a cruise ship charge (Hotel charge?) goes into a pool that goes directly to the staff. It is not income for the cruise line. How is that not a tip?

Not sure how you know the ships hotel charge goes into a pool and then given directly to staff as tips?

I have been on this forum for years and there still hasnt been direct proof of what does or does not go to staff.

Last person who was an actual worker told CC members that staff were being "had" on tips and only posted to inform us of the cruise line rip off!

I'm confident that the tips go to staff. I don't think they would dare do otherwise. I understand that before P&O/Princess removed tips on Australian-based cruises, the tips pool usually fell short of what was required to make the wages for stewards/barmen etc. up to the required amount. The company had to top it up.

We often hear how tips handed to stewards have to go in the pool if the passenger has removed their auto-tips. I asked a steward I knew well, and the answer was "Well, with the present boss we don't, but with the previous one we had to". I'm not sure if the 'boss' was the Crew Manager or Hotel Manager. I don't think that policy is as clear-cut as has often been stated.

I would not presume to tell others what they should or shouldn't do in relation to "tips" your holiday its up to you. I prefer to call them "wage subsidy" and consider it part of the fare...then I happily go on with my cruise. However I wish the subject was banned I have never read so much pontificating nonsense on a subject in my life....get a grip folks. :)

Sue

I would not presume to tell others what they should or shouldn't do in relation to "tips" your holiday its up to you. I prefer to call them "wage subsidy" and consider it part of the fare...then I happily go on with my cruise. However I wish the subject was banned I have never read so much pontificating nonsense on a subject in my life....get a grip folks. :)

Sue

I agree I have been in favour of non removable Auto tips since my first cruise and I agree its a wage subsidy

With Australian lines its now just gone back to tipping a bit extra to some for great service.

But! also when you pay your auto tips on USA cruises and then envelopes are left in your cabin for all staff tips last night you have to wonder why the cabin Steward has left them:confused:

Double dipping on both accounts really, auto tips plus envelopes on US ships, Tips in the base price and staff doing some extra for something they have already been rewarded for on AU ships?

I agree I have been in favour of non removable Auto tips since my first cruise and I agree its a wage subsidy

With Australian lines its now just gone back to tipping a bit extra to some for great service.

But! also when you pay your auto tips on USA cruises and then envelopes are left in your cabin for all staff tips last night you have to wonder why the cabin Steward has left them:confused:

Double dipping on both accounts really, auto tips plus envelopes on US ships, Tips in the base price and staff doing some extra for something they have already been rewarded for on AU ships?

Celebrity in Australia have it right. Auto-tips to make sure everyone gets a fair wage and envelopes you have to actively seek out if you want to give more.

Some passengers are happy to. They say they pay the auto, and then more. It's the same as tipping more than the minimum if you're at the bar, which other passengers do as well.

Some passengers are happy to. They say they pay the auto, and then more. It's the same as tipping more than the minimum if you're at the bar, which other passengers do as well.

Puts service on a Begging standard though !

With auto Tips and Compulsory MTD tips/Australian in the price tips then:

Staff have already received tips for giving great service and great service is to be expected because you have already tipped for it, then some staff intentionally go the extra extra mile for even more tips for giving even greater service than that expected lol.

You cant blame staff because there are so many cruisers willing to pay "Over and Above" the tips already paid for "over and Above" lol

Suto I think your view has just sunk in:)

Puts service on a Begging standard though !

With auto Tips and Compulsory MTD tips/Australian in the price tips then:

Staff have already received tips for giving great service and great service is to be expected because you have already tipped for it, then some staff intentionally go the extra extra mile for even more tips for giving even greater service than that expected lol.

You cant blame staff because there are so many cruisers willing to pay "Over and Above" the tips already paid for "over and Above" lol

Suto I think your view has just sunk in:)

The lines certainly aren't going to complain!

Happier staff. And no cost to them. That's why they provide for it.

Sue

Hi Sue. I am with you. Out of my control so I must control my own happiness. It is a wage subsidy and I must pay it as the price of the experience. Done!

I also worried and worried over travel insurance --it is expensive and thank God I have never got a penny back. Now I just call it "self insurance" when I don't buy travel insurance and part of the cost when I don't want to risk my trip funds. By renaming the process it makes sense to myself and is easier to deal with. If tipping boils your blood, adopt the phrase "wage subsidy" and carry on. The cruise will cost what it costs. You go or you don't go because of that cost. No one really cares about your opinion:eek: Go and find a way to make the pain of tipping a little easier to bear. And have a happy life.!

Mr Walker, there is an 'ignore' poster's facility in your profile. Use this if you don't want to see a particular person's or persons' posts. Saves your blood pressure rising at times! :D

Cheers, you learn something new everyday :D

Tonight's TV.

According to husband.

AFL, 2 excellent matches.

Rugby Union.

Tour de France.

Wimbledon.

I might go break my computer so I can have the fun you are having Jann. Or, I could go clean the oven. The bathroom. You name it!

I need a couch to analyse that. Now there's a tip for ya'all.

Tonight's TV.

According to husband.

AFL, 2 excellent matches.

Rugby Union.

Tour de France.

Wimbledon.

I might go break my computer so I can have the fun you are having Jann. Or, I could go clean the oven. The bathroom. You name it!

I need a couch to analyse that. Now there's a tip for ya'all.

You missed the qualifying round for the German Formula 1 Grand Prix. (Actually that is what we will be watching if I am not brain dead from Father Brown on the ABC).

Oh no. Midsomer Murders is on too - must be a very dangerous place to live as there are always about 4 murders before the bleeding obvious culprit is caught.

Then again - there is the oven (oh I did I did it last week, the bathroom and the windows today) Miss Housewife of the Year, that's me ;)

Reading the tipping thread has suddenly become an attractive option :)

Any thread on "tipping" or smoking is like driving past a car crash...you don't want to look but just can't help taking a peek....eek..oh well I am out of lives in candy crush...:D Its been two months since my last cruise must be suffering withdrawal...

Sue

Archived