Norovirus Vaccine

bcd2010

The unfortunate part is that the flu strain is constantly changing and I am not sure anyone shot could prevent it. I am not even certain regular flu shots can keep up with the constant change in the virus. Everyone I know this past year that got a flu shot still came down with something. Both Tom and I skipped getting the shot and were healthy, I actually have never gotten a flu shot and have only really been sick 2 times in the past 10 years both were after coming off a cruise and got that terrible cough that tends to be caught on ships.

The unfortunate part is that the flu strain is constantly changing and I am not sure anyone shot could prevent it. I am not even certain regular flu shots can keep up with the constant change in the virus. Everyone I know this past year that got a flu shot still came down with something. Both Tom and I skipped getting the shot and were healthy, I actually have never gotten a flu shot and have only really been sick 2 times in the past 10 years both were after coming off a cruise and got that terrible cough that tends to be caught on ships.

Noro is a virus, not a flu, but there are different strains. Because of there being more than one strain, people do not build immunity by having suffered noro in the apst. They can catch another strain.

Flu is the same....... there are different strains.

Not true. From the article:

" A course of shots may confer lifelong protection against 95 percent of strains"

Sounds good to me. I really wonder why anybody would argue against developing a norrovirus vaccination.

igraf

I would not hold your breath. It would be like having a vaccine for the common cold. The noroviruis has probably mutated six times while I was typing this response.

" A course of shots may confer lifelong protection against 95 percent of strains"

Sounds good to me. I really wonder why anybody would argue against developing a norrovirus vaccination.

igraf

A course of shots??

That would not interest me.

Plus I would want to know what the side affects would be.

For instance -- DH can no longer get the Yellow Fever shots because of his taking so many medications and some can interact with serum,

I am pretty sure that I would prefer a few vaccination injections over the norovirus illness.

igraf

A course of shots??

That would not interest me.

Plus I would want to know what the side affects would be.

For instance -- DH can no longer get the Yellow Fever shots because of his taking so many medications and some can interact with serum,

We ALL would want to know possible side effects and drug interactions.....

I think that is a 'given'.

I never think it a good idea to be among the first to get any new vaccines. Wait a bit and see how the reports are after a large number of people have been injected. I waited for a bit before I would have the shingles shot. I didn't want to be in the first group. :eek:

They have a shot now that sure is effective. In March I woke up at 5:10am with a terrible stomach ache, which quickly became cramps. from then until 7:45am I was running to the bathroom every 5 - 10 min. My daughter and a friend had to use the bathroom up by the Lido as I was so sick I could hardly hold my head up.

My DD went across to the Neptune Lounge to see if we could cancel our Departure excursion and he also contacted the nurse for her. After he had phoned down to the nurse or Dr. about the forth time, and he even came in a couple of times to check if they had come, a new nurse that had just come on board arrived.

When she realized that we were to depart and fly home later on that day she took me down to the Medical Station and gave me a shot and told me that should do it and sent me home. In a wheel chair, and told my DD to also request one at the airport.

What ever she gave me worked, fast. No more throwing up or otherwise. It stopped everything. Mind you it sure made me sleepy and I don't remember too much of our flight home or our layover in New York for 2 and a half hours but it worked.

My DD and friend never did get whatever it was and we thought for sure with such close quarters they would.

thanks to the Noordam Coincerage and nurse I made it home and it never did come back.

Sorry for such a long post.

Helen

I was reading something today about companies like Disney, red lobster and others mostly in Floriday e=refusing to give thier emplyees sicj lieave, rick Perry signed a bill agreeing with them.

the writer wrote a study that in 2008 a noro virius broke out It left 500 people violently ill. It was traced to a single worker at a Ohio Chipotle, The person did not have paid sick leave.

The CDC found sick workers were responsible for more that half and possibly 80 per cent of Noro virius out breaks.

cDC also said it could be a public health threat.

I also heard Disney has major out beaks but are never reported

Mary

igraf

I am not arguing against the development, I just don't believe they can do it.

If this vaccine is ever developed, I wonder how many would be willing to take advantage of it.

If they develop it, and market it to regular cruisers, it probably wouldn't be profitable to the manufacturer.

Noro is a virus, not a flu, but there are different strains. Because of there being more than one strain, people do not build immunity by having suffered noro in the apst. They can catch another strain.

Flu is the same....... there are different strains.

Flu as you know is short for influenza (influence of the stars). The illness was linked to the position of the planets. Today we know influenza is in fact a virus of some sort.

There is a lot of controversy respecting vaccinations. Some have long standing track records, some not so much.

If a norovirus vaccine could be developed, someone would become fabulously rich. I have my doubts because as already said, viruses mutate.

Noro is just a risk we have to be prepared to encounter.

The annual flu vaccine makes no attempt whatsoever to cover all strains of flu. Rather the experts make an educated prediction on which viruses are more likely to rear their ugly heads in any given year, and the vaccine is made to cover those strains. Obviously if a different strain appears the flu shot won't protect against it.

I think it's a pretty sure bet that vaccine manufacturers wouldn't be spending big bucks on developing a norovirus vaccine if they didn't think

there was a reasonable chance that such a vaccine is possible.

I was reading something today about companies like Disney' date=' red lobster and others mostly in Floriday e=refusing to give thier emplyees sicj lieave, rick Perry signed a bill agreeing with them.

the writer wrote a study that in 2008 a noro virius broke out It left 500 people violently ill. It was traced to a single worker at a Ohio Chipotle, The person did not have paid sick leave.

The CDC found sick workers were responsible for more that half and possibly 80 per cent of Noro virius out breaks.

cDC also said it could be a public health threat.

I also heard Disney has major out beaks but are never reported

Mary[/quote']

Hate to tell you but it was Rick Scott of Florida not Rick Perry, and you need to read the actual bill. Taking away 3 sick days for 3 personal days. My wife in our state has it the same way. She never used sick days cause she doesn't get sick(knock on wood) , she now has 3 extra paid personal days in stead of the sick days. You are suppose to use your extra personal days if your sick, but she now has 3 extra days. Much better than the sick day policy.;)

Archived