How much time do I need to get from grand central to cruise terminal?

Misscpa

We are planning on taking metro north to grand central then a taxi to the terminal. How much time should I allow? The ship is scheduled to depart at 4pm which means we need to be on by 2pm. The train I plan to take will arrive at 12:40, is this enough time? Thanks in advance!

I would fairly strongly suggest going one hour earlier than that. If something happens to your train and it's canceled (or delayed an hour), you'll be arriving at Grand Central at 1:40 and then you'll really be sweating.

In other words, your 12:40 arrival should be your backup train, and you should plan to be on the train before that. (That means that if you're coming down from Wassaic, you want to come two hours earlier, i.e. get the 8:26 instead of the 10:26).

It's about two miles from GCT to the port, so the cab shouldn't take too long, but the consequences of the train delaying you are so great that you want to build in a fairly sizeable contingency. Anyway, there's tons to do on the ship -- get on earlier and enjoy your vacation!

Misscpa,

I second MarlboroBell. Absolutely plan on taking an earlier train and arrive at the cruise terminal by 11 am. Boarding starts at 11:30 am for the NCL Breakaway.

You'll want to get aboard and enjoy the first day of your cruise by exploring the ship and having a nice lunch aboard instead of stressing the train arriving on time.;)

Have a great cruise.

Jonathan

Misscpa ~

Personally, I would take an earlier train just for added peace of mind. On a good day, it doesn't take long at all to get from Grand Central to the West Side piers; but, just to be on the safe side, I would factor in possible delays on Metro North. Nine times out of ten, your train will be pretty much on time:)--but it's that one time out of ten when its not that will have you sweating.:eek:

But just to work out the timings if you take the train that arrives at 12:40:

Train arrives (on time--maybe) at GCT at 12:40. It always takes longer than you think to disembark and walk from the train to the main concourse, especially if the train is full... (In my considerable experience, the platforms at GCT are always crowded, and the crowd moves slowly.) Then a few more minutes to walk through the concourse and up the stairs or ramp and outside... (Not to mention a likely detour for a bathroom break--that's always the way with someone in my party!) And probably a few more minutes before you get into a taxi... So, say, you get into a taxi around 1 p.m.

Then, if all goes well, traffic-wise, 15 minutes to the pier... (1:15)... Then paying & tipping the taxi driver;), and dropping off your luggage with a longshoreman and tipping him;)... Then getting into the terminal, going through security, and queuing for check-in...

The upshot is, if all goes well with the train and taxi, my guess is that you won't actually be checking in, on the pier, before 1:30. And any delays along the way could push that time back.

So, if at all possible, I'd opt for a train that runs at least an hour earlier.

Misscpa ~

Personally, I would take an earlier train just for added peace of mind. On a good day, i

I would have to agree with everyone here. I travel MNRR every other weekend from GCT and New Haven and would take an earlier train.

Just on the off chance which is rare on the weekend but can happen that you arrive on the lower level and have to drag your bags upstairs that will add time alone.

MNRR has a good on time performance but can loose time for any matter of things, that earlier train can make a difference.

doesn't Amtrak go to Penn Station? Its the commuter trains that go to Grand Central....

Correct. I didn't notice the OP said MetroNorth. They do keep closer to their schedules than Amtrak does, considering the shorter distances they travel.

doesn't Amtrak go to Penn Station? Its the commuter trains that go to Grand Central....

We took Amtrak Acela from Boston's South Station to Penn Station.

Despite you are not riding Amtrak, I agree with the others and suggest (strongly) you take an earlier train.

Take an earlier train to be on the safe side, but in answer to your question, on a Sunday, it should take around 15 minutes to get to the Manhattan cruise ship terminal from GCT. Cbs are readily available at GCT.

I sat on a NJT train for over four hours one time after some idiot decided to play chicken with the train and lost--missed a basketball game I had tickets for.

For something as time sensitive as a cruise, I'd be taking the 6:26 that arrives at 8:41. Have some breakfast right around Grand Central--there are a hundred places from basic to wow--breakfast at the Roosevelt Grill at the Roosevelt Hotel right across the street is on the pricey side but delicious, and they'll hold your bags while you linger over your coffee. From there take a cab to the port and you'll have a short wait to board once you check in.

Archived