Does Princess not use top sheets on beds?

toyotaford

We just returned today from a 7 day Alaska cruise on the Golden Princess. On the 4th night I realized we did not have a top sheet on the bed. I thought at first we had just failed to pull it back but after checking there was in fact no top sheet. Just a bottom sheet and a comforter. We didn't mention it that late in the cruise. We normally travel NCL suites and know we always have both bottom and top sheets. I'm now curious if the regular balcony rooms on NCL have both sheets. This definitely didn't ruin our cruise. We had a very nice time. But can honestly say I don't think I have ever stayed anywhere that didn't provide a top sheet.

It seems to be a northern European thing where you use just a comforter and no top sheet. DW and I don't seem to miss it at all. Guess it reminds us of other travels...

We spent a week in Amsterdam in May and our hotel had both a fitted and flat sheet. We have visited other areas of Europe and never come across this. Like I said, it didn't ruin our trip, but I sure didn't know I needed to ask for a top sheet. Live and learn.

I always ask for a top sheet. With just the duvet, if you get too hot (which you will with those big puffy things) and take off the duvet, then next thing you are cold, with no cover at all. Hate them!

Also, they are too heavy for me. I'd really prefer a top sheet and blanket.

I hate not having a top sheet. The duvet is much too warm. Last cruise we folded the duvets in half and put them under the bottom sheet to make some small attempt at softening the bed. We then asked for a regular blanket and a top sheet. I hate having to ask the steward for things that should not be optional. I love Princess for so many things but we are always disappointed in their beds. We are forever hopeful, though.

I've used a duvet with a cover and no top sheet since I lived overseas in the early 80's. I've tried it with a top sheet, but it gets sort of tangled and, for me, uncomfortable. So count me in the apparent minority in the top sheet debate. :-)

Being a Brit if we sail with Princess I would only request a duvet and if there was a top sheet would ask for it to be removed cannot see the point of having both.

Same here. Having an extra top sheet just gets annoying to me.

We always request a top sheet and blanket. The duvet is just too hot and heavy. It seems like everyone is going to that now. Every hotel we have been in lately have the duvets.

We just came back from 11 days of land cruising and stayed in six different Marriott products. Each one is using a duvet, but they all have top sheets too.

That being said, we too ask our steward in our first encounter with him/her for the top sheet.

At home however, we don't use the top sheet; just a patchwork lightweight quilt (easy to throw into the washing machine) or a heavier one for the few days a year it gets cold here.

I've used a duvet with a cover and no top sheet since I lived overseas in the early 80's. I've tried it with a top sheet, but it gets sort of tangled and, for me, uncomfortable. So count me in the apparent minority in the top sheet debate. :-)

Add 4 to your minority! Our family is the same -- and for the same reason (no getting tangled in the top sheet). You wash the duvet cover as often as you wash your fitted sheet. We too lived in Europe in the 80s and 90s. I think the lack of a top sheet can be attributed to Princess' European roots. It is a good example of something being different but not wrong especially since they are more than willing to add one if requested.

i always request a top sheet by faxing princess in advance when i ask for an eggcrate. i like the top sheet because i don't know how often they launder the duvet and to me it seems unsanitary not having a top sheet. just my humble opinion. does anyone know if they automatically change the duvet after every cruise?

cheers

does anyone know if they automatically change the duvet after every cruise?

In my experience yes they do -- it is just like removing the top sheet to wash (take off the old cover, put on a clean cover).

In my experience yes they do -- it is just like removing the top sheet to wash (take off the old cover, put on a clean cover).

On our 28 night cruise in March, the duvet covers and bottom sheets were changed every three to four days.:)

I believe the standard sheet change is now three days, though I've seen/heard complaints of passengers stating theirs had not been changed the entire cruise. This is totally unacceptable so you need to be sure your cabin steward is not shirking his/her duties.

I always ask for a top sheet. With just the duvet, if you get too hot (which you will with those big puffy things) and take off the duvet, then next thing you are cold, with no cover at all. Hate them!

Also, they are too heavy for me. I'd really prefer a top sheet and blanket.

I'm with you! I like to sleep with just a top sheet and a light blanket if needed.The duvets are too heavy.

We just returned today from a 7 day Alaska cruise on the Golden Princess. On the 4th night I realized we did not have a top sheet on the bed. I thought at first we had just failed to pull it back but after checking there was in fact no top sheet. Just a bottom sheet and a comforter. We didn't mention it that late in the cruise. We normally travel NCL suites and know we always have both bottom and top sheets. I'm now curious if the regular balcony rooms on NCL have both sheets. This definitely didn't ruin our cruise. We had a very nice time. But can honestly say I don't think I have ever stayed anywhere that didn't provide a top sheet.

You only need to ask, and the room steward will add one. The duvet as the top cover is the European way of making beds.

Archived