Does Princess not use top sheets on beds?

toyotaford

I believe the standard sheet change is now three days, though I've seen/heard complaints of passengers stating theirs had not been changed the entire cruise. This is totally unacceptable so you need to be sure your cabin steward is not shirking his/her duties.

I just pay attention to the inevitable tears in the sheet. When they move, I know we've had our sheets changed. :eek:

Count us in the "just the duvet is fine" group. In fact, that's what we use at home now too. No more sheets tucked in at the foot of the bed; a duvet seems more comfortable to us.

I'm not overly phobic about germs but I do not feel that replacing only the duvet COVER is acceptable. We all know that fluids can penetrate a thin sheet fabric, thus also into the duvet. I want to know that the entire duvet is cleaned and changed out every time a cruise has ended and a new one begins. Can anyone confirm whether this is done?

I'm not overly phobic about germs but I do not feel that replacing only the duvet COVER is acceptable. We all know that fluids can penetrate a thin sheet fabric, thus also into the duvet. I want to know that the entire duvet is cleaned and changed out every time a cruise has ended and a new one begins. Can anyone confirm whether this is done?

Do hotels/cruise lines launder every blanket or bedspread with a change of clientele?

We always ask for a Top Sheet and place the comforter on the floor.I don't believe they are clean enough and washed every cruise!Body fluids,etc.:eek:Someone mentioned the mattress,well there are clean sheets on that too.I want to feel reasonably clean.

I'm definitely in the duvet/no top sheet camp. I love the feel of a cool, crisp cotton duvet cover.

Top sheets are so claustrophic, always tucked too tightly in and I hate the way they settle and cling onto your body and get all rumpled up around you every time you move. And I despise blankets -- scratchy and itchy. Yuck.

Well it sounds like the beds are STILL hard like they were (that's MY opinion), when we were on Princess last. We are to do the Golden in September.

That is a good question about the duvet, if they clean it each time they change the bed. I can't see them doing that, and that would be one reason why I would want the top sheet also. I can always push the duvet back.

For those of you who prefer to not have a top sheet, what do you do with the top sheet that generally comes in the package of sheets you buy in most stores?

We have a comforter rather than a duvet for now, but when we did (and didn't use the top sheet) I would use it as a fitted. I used to work in housekeeping and that was a common tactic when we didn't have fitted sheets, which was more often than you'd think.

The duvet is too warm for us unless the weather is cold. We're used to a top sheet at home. Of course it was 110° here (Chico, CA) yesterday and the last couple of days have been 108° or so. The rest of the week is forecast to be as hot or hotter. Given those temps a duvet at home would be insane.

I sometimes have to travel for work and I cover the northern third of California. South Lake Tahoe in the winter - I'm happy the hotel has a duvet. Sacramento in the summer - no way.

We aren't big time cruisers - still working - but, thanks to CC, we knew to ask for a top sheet on our first cruise. This place has been a real treasure house of information.

Well it sounds like the beds are STILL hard like they were (that's MY opinion), when we were on Princess last. We are to do the Golden in September.

That is a good question about the duvet, if they clean it each time they change the bed. I can't see them doing that, and that would be one reason why I would want the top sheet also. I can always push the duvet back.

They launder the cotton cover, same as they do the sheets. The comforter inside, I have no idea. I'm a clean freak and I only have my down comforter cleaned about every three months. How dirty can it be getting; it's inside a duvet cover and never exposed to people. Don't go looking for trouble.

For those of you who prefer to not have a top sheet, what do you do with the top sheet that generally comes in the package of sheets you buy in most stores?

I don't buy packaged sheet sets. I buy sheets and pillowcases that you purchase individually by the piece. Less expensive. And also better quality: sheets in sheet sets are usually not as high a thread count, and I'm very particular about bedding.

As someone who spends about 20 or more days a month on the road i can assure you that most hotels in the US and almost ALL the hotels in Europe use the Duvet and bottom sheet method. Before you jump all over me I have to clarify my statement. I stay in only 4 and 5 star hotels Hiltons, Conrads, and occasionally a Hyatt or JW Marriott. so these are the hotels I am referring to.

There seems to be a lot of germaphobic people on here and I would guess that you would be pretty upset at any hotel or airline or cruise line as they do not clean every piece of furniture or seat after every use, nor do they wash every duvet filler, they do wash the duvet covers. either every day, when the room changes over or 2 to 3 days when a longer stay is booked.

In the UK, duvet sets usually just have a duvet cover and matching pillowcases - though some sets also have the fitted sheet included, but this is not that common.

Usually, the bottom fitted sheet is then bought as a separate item with any additional pillowcases that may be needed.

I don't know anyone that uses an additional top sheet, and would never have thought of using one myself. Just seems a very strange idea to me.

I haven't seen sheet sets for many years here. Sheets and pillowcases are packaged individually.

I'm really surprised how much interest this has piqued, and goes to show what variety there is in life :)

Happy sailings everyone :D

There are three things I request from our steward as soon as we meet them, which they have always provided:

1) A top sheet.
2) A pair of wine glasses.
3) A filled ice bucket each day.

Can't wait for my next one!

[quote name='toyotaford']We spent a week in Amsterdam in May and our hotel had both a fitted and flat sheet. We have visited other areas of Europe and never come across this. Like I said, it didn't ruin our trip, but I sure didn't know I needed to ask for a top sheet. Live and learn.[/QUOTE]

Are you staying in American chain hotels? Maybe they fit the beds to American style bedding. When we travel in Europe, we stay in small local hotels or gasthofs in Germany. They always have had just a covered duvet. I like them as I can't stand to have my feet tucked tightly into place with a top sheet. I'm tall so maybe that makes a difference. In America, I usually untuck the top sheet so it isn't so tight.

[quote name='iceleven']I'm not overly phobic about germs but I do not feel that replacing [B]only[/B] the duvet COVER is acceptable. We all know that fluids can penetrate a thin sheet fabric, thus also into the duvet. I want to [B]know[/B] that the entire duvet is cleaned and changed out [B]every[/B] time a cruise has ended and a new one begins. Can anyone confirm whether this is done?[/QUOTE]

I like the duvet cover best BECAUSE of the sanitary fact that only a clean surface is touching my face. In a hotel with a standard top sheet and blanket, I often wake up with the blanket touching me. I HATE that. Blankets are rarely washed. Yuk. I'll take a clean duvet cover any day.

Archived