18 month old any tips

hobbit79

Unless your child is very good. I would not be taking him / her on a cruise. Children that age are way too young to appreciate the experience. Just one persons opinion. :)

Our kids are now 16 and 12. When they were younger, we traveled with them a LOT. We frequently got the "too young to appreciate the experience" comment. People seem to think there is a magical age where your kids will "appreciate" the vacation. Well, I think every age has its challenges, and every vacation has days when things go wrong, someone gets sick, something gets lost or broken, some outing doesn't go as well as planned, etc. For example, I have been on 3 cruises since December and I got sick on every one of them! That's just life. The important thing is being together as a family.

Right now on the Family Board there is an extensive thread discussing the pros and cons of taking your kid out of high school to go on a cruise. People have strong opinions both ways, but I think everyone would agree that there are big challenges involved at that age in terms of missing schoolwork and extracurricular activities. To me, the takeaway from that thread is that you should travel with your kids as much as possible when they're younger. Sure you may have to pack diapers and strollers, and toys, wipes, etc. But if you think that's hard, wait until you're trying to plan a vacation around a high school student's life, filled with AP classes, SAT's, labs, and all the extracurricular activities, including tournaments that you have no control over.

To the OP: go and have a great cruise. Come back later and let us know how you liked it.

I absolutely respect the OP's right to bring her 18-month-old with her!

Like everyone else, my children were fabulous travelers - one in a million, savvy, charming, a true delight!!!

Now I choose Aqua Class with Blu to insulate me from all the charming children during dinner. Be proactive - it's not hard to carve out the experience one wants.

In a few years, when my as of yet non-existent grandchildren become fabulous, savvy, charming cruisers, I'll be right back out there at the pool and MDR:)!

You all should be looking forward to that day too... but please, don't touch them:eek:!

As it stands our little one is well behaved and we can take her anywhere as the last post says no one should assume !!!! As I have said I wanted tips not telling me to leave her at home !!!!

If I had a nickel for every parent who swore their child was a perfect angel and absolutely well behaved and no trouble to anyone I could retire. Sadly the parents whose kids are most likely to be the cause of problems are the ones who believe with 100% certainty that they do no wrong.

I speak from experience on my cruise in January with the 18 month old whose parents blocked aisles with the enormous stroller, brought her to the MDR at bedtime when she was tired and cranky and allowed her to scream for 45 minutes before leaving finally, and parked in the indoor adults only pool and tried to take her in because "she never goes potty in the pool she knows better." I personally saw the crew ask the parents to leave adult areas on 3 occasions because these parents believed the rules just didn't apply to their little angel.

And FYI: if it was an adult being rude and obnoxious I would expect the crew to remove them too.

I don't want to hear your toddler screaming in the MDR because they are bored and tired and it is bedtime. I don't think it is "cute" when waitstaff parade around the dining room with the kid spreading what ever germs they carry for everyone to enjoy. I don't want to trip over the baby bath you dragged out on deck because the little prince can't go in the pool. Most of all I don't want to be gagging when you change their diaper in a public area and a smell spreads that causes everyone in a 3 deck radius to suddenly question if they are on a garbage scow.

I raised my kids and I am DONE. If they offered child free cruises, airline flights, and vacations I would book them. If I wanted to cruise with kids I would be on Disney. Since I don't I choose itineraries on lines like Celebrity that do not cater to kids, of a sufficient length that most parents don't consider (11-14 days), and at a time of year when school is well in session. While not completely child free, the numbers are typically sufficiently reduced that you don't see or hear them. (other than the ill mannered parents with the toddler last time)

I would much rather travel with a toddler than one of the many obnoxious goats that infest so many cruises these days.

Death eaters they are, sucking the life out of whatever area they decide is theirs, be it the buffet at lunchtime or the shaded areas of the pool, bitching and complaining about whatever perceived slight or insufishincy to whoever is unlucky enough to stop or slow down near them.

You can count their happy faces with one finger and still have a finger left over, except when they run you over with their scooters as they do seem to get a kick out of that.

And you had better stay out of their way, their boney elbows flying as they cut in front of you because they just need a little of that.

I prepare myself for this by going to the supermarket and waiting in line to watch them begin to get their check books out after they have been rung up and the clerk is standing there waiting for them. It thickens the skin and prepares me for a cruise.

I totally agree. It is difficult enough to travel with an 18 month old, never mind on a cruise ship. I cannot imagine having a truly relaxing time. You will probably need a vacation when you get home.

OP: If you are a family that values being together and likes to have your children along, you will have a great time! Don't take any notice of the nay-sayers who would rather you left your child at home.

You can do this, but it needs prior planning. You'll need to take everything for your toddler, including extra nappies (diapers) in case of digestive upsets, and new toys to amuse the babe while you are dining.

My son and daughter-in-law have travelled extensively with their two, under-three daughters, and they don't find it a problem at all. They are both hands-on parents and they share all the jobs. Strangely enough, ;), they enjoy the company of their kids - it's called parenting.

As others have said, you'll find a more helpful attitude on the Family board.

go to florida..let the kid dig sand....

and everyone else on board will thank you for it..one less crying, screeching tot...one less stroller....

yes wish there were adult only cruises on celebrity....or maybe put all the kids in one area of the ship....and designate a pool for them...there are two on the solstice ships...then you could just enjoy the noise the bedlam all together...you could discipline each others brats....and the rest of us would enjoy....

you do not need to reseach all my posts....every chance I get I write how I HATE kids on board cruise ships...so do all the adults I know....just some tolerate it better than others...yes I will be one of those who will give you dirty looks....and you will know how I feel about you turning a ship into day care facilities....

yeah bring it on...I have heard it all before....but dont waste your time...you will never convince me or many others that a cruise is not wonderful when there are no crying babes and no screaming kids....in the dining room and everywhere else...

this is an old battle between those who want a holiday away from it all and those who insist for whatever reason to have their kiddies along....

its a good thing the cruise lines dont allow pets or these same people would bring all kids and all pets along as well....

as I said ...just take the kiddies to florida the way we did....

you do not need to reseach all my posts....every chance I get I write how I HATE kids on board cruise ships..

Well, I have to give Beachchairs2 credit for being honest about his/her posting history. Lots of us have "hot topics" that get us going on these boards whether it's the dress code, tipping, kids onboard, or the ever popular self service laundry topic. :) Not to worry. The actual on board experience on Celebrity is very friendly and welcoming. Probably best for the OP to just give up on this thread and hop on over to the Family Board.

Wow. I've seen some gems on some threads on this board but this one takes the cake. I almost feel sorry for some of you....how awful it must be to suffer through your vacation with a little one on board. You must get a knot in your stomach the minute you see a child nearby. That must be incredibly stressful getting yourself all worked up over something that rarely, if ever, effects you in any way whatsoever.

To the OP, have a great time!!! It will be a blast and you will make some great memories. :)

:) Not to worry. The actual on board experience on Celebrity is very friendly and welcoming. Probably best for the OP to just give up on this thread and hop on over to the Family Board.

Well said.

I have hesitated to post on the subject because I really have no objection to children on board. We've taken the grand kids quite a few times, but not until they were older. I think the OP has received some good tips to help make her experience better.

That being said, I do agree that 18 months is probably not the optimal age for cruise ship travel. It's too young to enjoy the children's programs and services that help to make the family cruise so enjoyable.

We had an experience on a Transatlantic cruise a couple of years ago that certainly made me question bringing very young children on a cruise. There was a lovely young couple along with their two children in the next cabin, one 5 months and the other 18 months. The first part of the cruise was in Europe. Unfortunately every night one or the other of the children cried most of the night. The mother said it was usually her 18 month old and she didn't know if it was the motion of the ship that was bothering her, but she was always a good traveler before. I felt so sorry for them ( and we weren't getting much sleep either). They were very apologetic, but there was nowhere to go.

They finally decided to get off the ship and go home before we started across the Atlantic. They were just completely frazzled.

To the original poster, you are not alone. I am also going to be sailing with my little one who will be 16 months old. I am so excited for our family cruise and refuse to let any negativity get me down. I hope you and your family have a wonderful trip :)

I'm assuming most of the people with a problem with kids have a problem with kids anywhere, not just cruise ships.

Pretty sad to me that someone asks for help and instead they get a bunch of rude responses.

MaBell -- was this on Celebrity? Their policy is that no child under six months can be booked on a cruise, and no one under the age of 12 months can be booked on a Transatlantic cruise!

From the Celebrity website FAQ:

Infants sailing on a cruise must be at least 6 months old as of the first day of the cruise/Cruisetour. However, for Transatlantic, Transpacific, select South American cruises/Cruisetours and other select cruises/Cruisetours, the infant (as of the first day of the cruise/Cruisetour) must be at least 12 months old.

MaBell -- was this on Celebrity? Their policy is that no child under six months can be booked on a cruise, and no one under the age of 12 months can be booked on a Transatlantic cruise!

From the Celebrity website FAQ:

Infants sailing on a cruise must be at least 6 months old as of the first day of the cruise/Cruisetour. However, for Transatlantic, Transpacific, select South American cruises/Cruisetours and other select cruises/Cruisetours, the infant (as of the first day of the cruise/Cruisetour) must be at least 12 months old.

Yes, it was. Very strange. Maybe the baby was 6 months but that doesn't explain how they got on a TA.

go to florida..let the kid dig sand....

and everyone else on board will thank you for it..one less crying, screeching tot...one less stroller....

yes wish there were adult only cruises on celebrity....or maybe put all the kids in one area of the ship....and designate a pool for them...there are two on the solstice ships...then you could just enjoy the noise the bedlam all together...you could discipline each others brats....and the rest of us would enjoy....

you do not need to reseach all my posts....every chance I get I write how I HATE kids on board cruise ships...so do all the adults I know....just some tolerate it better than others...yes I will be one of those who will give you dirty looks....and you will know how I feel about you turning a ship into day care facilities....

yeah bring it on...I have heard it all before....but dont waste your time...you will never convince me or many others that a cruise is not wonderful when there are no crying babes and no screaming kids....in the dining room and everywhere else...

this is an old battle between those who want a holiday away from it all and those who insist for whatever reason to have their kiddies along....

its a good thing the cruise lines dont allow pets or these same people would bring all kids and all pets along as well....

as I said ...just take the kiddies to florida the way we did....

Did you even bother to read the actual question asked by the OP? Did ANYONE on this thread ask for your opinion about children and cruising in general? No, they most certainly did not. Did you feel the need to give it yet again (as you reference in your notes about your previous posts), you sure did!

I'm out on this thread. The original question has been asked and answered by those who actually have valuable suggestions regarding that question. Much of what has followed has been a sad commentary (in my opinion) offered by those who have nothing to offer the OP, other than their snarky remarks. I am sure she finds your comments valueless if not outright rude, as do I.

Don't bother to flame back, as I promise you I will not open this thread again. OP, have a great time, make some wonderful memories, and ignore those who aren't able to read well enough to understand what you asked originally.

To the OP, my apologies if others have already given you the following tips, but I just skimmed through the messages as the topic seems to bring out the worst in some posters.

My suggestions are: take a small blanket for the child that is familiar; take any stuffed toy or item that the child is used to sleeping with at night and also his/her own nightlight if you use one at home; take some of the usual laundry detergent that you use as the smell of something freshly washed in the detergent seems to comfort some children when they are upset; take one of the blow up mini swimming pools that has the sun shelter; take plastic books because they are light and it won't matter if they get wet; take plastic measuring cups as they seem to keep many children entertained for hours; take plastic containers so that you can pick up snacks from the buffet restaurant and easily take them to your cabin or keep them in your beach bag; take a heat/cold bag that can be used for snacks and you could also put ice in the bag when you are going on shore excursions to keep drinks, etc. cool; take medication that you might need for your child such as pedialyte, liquid gravol (anti-nausea medication), children's Tylenol, etc.;

Have a wonderful cruise!

Yes, it was. Very strange. Maybe the baby was 6 months but that doesn't explain how they got on a TA.

Likely a waiver from the cruise line...or maybe that's another policy they don't enforce.;)

I started my cruising life at age 4. It was great! And, yes, I do remember it.

I've only once cruised with a toddler (someone else travelling with theirs, I mean)as young as this one, so I've perhaps been lucky according to some of the posters here, but more than likely, there were others, but I just didn't notice them. This particle chap had his parents and two other caregivers with him. The only time I saw him was when I walked the decks in the morning (he was in a stroller with one of his caregivers in attendance), or when I stopped by the buffet for a snack in the late afternoon (5:30) and he was playing in a quiet corner and having dinner. There was no impact on me on that cruise...and I'm someone who chose not to have kids! And it was on Crystal Cruise lines, for not a line that immediately comes to mind when talking about families. I actually enjoyed getting to know all four adults, just was never able to hang out with all four at once!:)

Honestly, if the OP asked me whether or not to do this, I might express my doubts. But I really like what Texed said. And that should be the end of that discussion.

So back to the tips: as a kid, I was all about distractions, and my parents spent a fortune on Corgi cars, but they were always amazed that something else simple/ inexpensive would occupy me for hours. (Maybe that says a lot about me.). Point being, you don't need to spend a fortune, but go everywhere prepared with a "distraction.". And, whether for others or your own piece of mind, ones that don't make a lot of noise.

As for sharing the cruise line with all the types of cruisers here, the consideration you show will win over all but the most hardened folks. And it's a big ship...

If I don't to be around children, and kids are at the buffet, I'm fine with going to Cafe Al Baccio for a cookie. What I think many forget in this whole discussion is that your cruise fare doesn't give you the right to have everything your way. We are, for 7 to 14 days, a community. Let's act like it, be civilized AND understanding of other's needs.

Those who say parents are selfish by bringing their children are exhibiting the same behavior. And parents who don't make a effort are. But if I adapt my expectations, and am proactive about my needs, it's very unlikely, with the cruises I choose, the late seating I prefer, the cocktail lounges and other late night entertainment I like, that I will be much impacted by a toddler. But if I am, I will work WITH the situation to ensure that I have a good time.

Happy travels,

Andrew

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Forums mobile app

I agree Andrew, I felt a lot sorrier for the parents and the poor little one who was crying than myself. I could hear the crying, but I wasn't in the same cabin and worrying if I was disturbing others. The poor parents just didn't know what to do.

I can't imagine a scenario where parents cancel a family transatlantic (think of the cost! think of the non-refundable plane tickets!) because of a crying child. I'm guessing, and this is only a guess, that somehow it was realized that the child was too young to be on the transatlantic (and never should have been allowed to board in the first place) and they were told that they could not continue. Expensive lesson either way, whether they chose to leave or were told to leave before the TA started.

Who really knows but I can promise you if my child had been crying for 8 days already and I couldn't seem to help her, I wouldn't feel very comfortable heading out across the ocean for another 6 days. They were just worn out.

I absolutely respect the OP's right to bring her 18-month-old with her!

Like everyone else, my children were fabulous travelers - one in a million, savvy, charming, a true delight!!!

Now I choose Aqua Class with Blu to insulate me from all the charming children during dinner. Be proactive - it's not hard to carve out the experience one wants.

In a few years, when my as of yet non-existent grandchildren become fabulous, savvy, charming cruisers, I'll be right back out there at the pool and MDR:)!

You all should be looking forward to that day too... but please, don't touch them:eek:!

:) perfect response.

I'm being honest here - I'm not a Southerner, but I love the way they use the phrase, so I "borrowed" it, because I thought it appropriate to use it in this instance. :)

Can I be an honorary Southerner?

Why bless your heart! ;)

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Forums mobile app

I'm not cruising on Celebrity, but this topic caught my eye. We took our son oh his first cruise when he was 10 months old. Did he occasionally act up in the MDR? Yes. It wasn't the norm though, and we handled it appropriately. We will be taking him on cruise #2 when he is 20 months old. If someone has an issue with kids being on cruises, there are plenty of lines that don't allow children. Sail on one of them.

Here are my tips:

Pack diapers, wipes etc in a box. It's one less thing to bring home at the end of the trip.

Practice taking showers with your LO ahead of time. We took an inflatable tub last time, but he is way too big for one now. We will be relegated to taking showers.

Bring some of your own snack foods. My LO loves those squeeze packets of applesauce. He also loves Cheerios. Neither of them were on our last cruise, so it was fortunate that I packed them (in that cardboard box).

Stickers!! I haven't found a toddler yet that isn't mesmerized by stickers.

Get a balcony. During naps and bedtime, it gives you a place to go.

Bring a computer with movies to watch on that balcony.

We normally eat sometime around 6 or 7 at home. We chose early dining to keep his schedule the same.

Bring a sound machine to block out unwanted noises from other cabins/the hallway if your LO is a light sleeper.

Bring a small stroller, but not an umbrella stroller. You want one that can lay flat for naps outside of your room. I recommend the city mini. It's small, light with features like a full-sized stroller.

Don't stress & have fun!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Nice list. That's why we always chose to eat at the second seating. :)

If I could just add one thing to your list, don't bring the diapered toddler into any of the swimming pools, no matter how cute you think it would be. I've seen it too many times. We don't want to swim in feces. :eek:

I don't even include it in the list, because it's against the rules on every lines except specific pools on Disney. While I don't believe anyone should tell someone not to bring a child on vacation, I also don't believe parents of toddlers should break the rules for personal enjoyment. If our child is completely potty trained (it can happen at 18 months- just not my child), then stick to the pools available to all ages. Once again, follow the ship's rules.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Archived