18 month old any tips

hobbit79

Kathryn, I notice you are new to the boards - welcome! As you have already seen, there are some topics where people can get pretty passionate and bringing young children onboard is one of them. Fear not, once you are on your cruise you will find the vast majority of people welcoming at best and accepting at the least. It sounds like you already made the decision to bring the child, so I would implore people to stop telling you why it is a bad idea. I started bringing my son at three years old and truthfully, in retrospect I think I should have waited a couple years but all in all he had a good time and so did we. Planning is the key and going on these boards with questions is a good way to get some very useful information. I hope you have a great cruise!

On one of our cruises, we had the misfortune of having parents of a toddler at our table. The toddler and his grandparents were at another table in the same MDR. The problem was not the toddler. It was the parents getting up and down checking on their child. Then grandmother bringing the crying child back and forth. They finally realized that they should have been at the same table.

The next night, they were all seated together. We felt badly for the whole group as they did not appear to be enjoying themselves.

Not a personal attack at all. I just disagreed with your post and found the tone rude. As exhibited in this thread, the majority of people aren't nearly as bothered by children on their cruise as you are.

I agree with you. The OP asked a specific question:

"This will be our first cruise with a child any any tips would be appreciated ",... not should we bring our child.

If the OP wanted to know the opinion of others as to whether to bring an 18 month old on a cruise, he/she would have asked that question.

I agree that the tone of the poster who said leave the kid at home and suggested that having a child at your dinner table in at a show was something to be wished upon someone who didn't agree with him/her appeared rude to me. They felt the need to impose their opinion, as opposed to answering a direct question from the OP. It is precisely that type of response to an innocent question that may turn people away from this site.

The old adage "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all" has been around a long time for a reason. It is possible to express an opinion without discouraging posters from asking questions in the first place. Many fear asking questions or giving opinions due to "flaming".

Thankfully the majority of all comments in most posts and treads are very helpful and a tremendous help to cruisers.

This is more of a tip for others considering a cruise with small children, under 3, and no grandparents/Helpers. A balcony cabin is a must. That way when you put them to bed the two of you can sit out on the balcony.

Thanks for all the positive replies, my husband and I have cruised before and seen plenty of toddlers !!! So we already knew when we had a child they would be coming wherever we go.

We would not leave her at home and as someone pointed out, I wanted tips not should I bring her !!

Thanks for the advice re making pictures of what one in the day it's a fab way of making memories and re the cheap little presents.

We have booked a private tour in st Petersburg which enables me to return to the ship if any problems and everywhere else we will see where we end up except Berlin where my husband and father are doing a tour.

Thanks for advice re balcony we booked one as thought the same

Kathryn

When we travelled with our 18-month old, he had only recently learned to walk (he was a late walker) and wanted to RUN constantly, everywhere. He was also, to our chagrin, loud. Restaurants were impossible for us - one parent would always have to be in the lobby watching our boy run around in an area not occupied by other guests, while the other parent ate a solo dinner as quickly as possible so as to relieve the lobby parent. Trying to get our boy to sit still and eat was an exercise in frustration and embarassment as he squirmed and hollered. We did NOT want to annoy other guests, so we hustled him out of the dining area as soon as he started to get loud.

Not fun, so we realized that restaurants were simply out of the question until he outgrew this stage. It is unreasonable to expect an 18 month old to "behave" and it is equally unreasonable to expect other guests to put up with typical 18 month old behavior.

So - my advice would be to plan on eating meals with your toddler in your room. If your grandparents are willing to take on that duty for some of the evenings, great - but you can't necessarily expect that of them, either. If you do take the child to, say, the buffet area, take along the surprise toys, as others suggested, but please be prepared to leave as soon as he gets antsy. One surprise hit for us - bring along a roll of aluminum foil. A sheet of foil for your child to roll, shape, make crowns, bracelets, etc. can keep her occupied for a suprisingly long time.

Have fun! Don't expect your child to act anything but his age, so be prepared to give the other guests a break by reacting appropriately when he does so. :)

There are often large parts of the day when the theatre is unused. I have heard of several people with toddlers bringing them to the theatre to get in some running time. The children seem to like climbing up and down from the seats as well.

I am horrified to see some posts that are so derogatory to the original poster! Personally, I think all families should be able to take the holiday they wish, and I wish you the best trip! What is a vacation if not time to spend with family and build memories?! Good luck! :)

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I am horrified to see some posts that are so derogatory to the original poster! Personally, I think all families should be able to take the holiday they wish,

Ah, but that's the issue, isn't it? What of the families who wish a quiet, more sophisticated holiday than what is possible with an 18 month old at hand?

I'm sure OP and her family can handle their child. When she asked for "tips," I gave her my best one: be prepared to either avoid or to make a hasty exit from any restaurant or other venue where typical 18 month old behavior is inappropriate.

There is nothing "naughty" about a cranky or loud or boisterous toddler. But just because the toddler isn't being naughty doesn't mean it's not annoying. It is. Or, at least it can be, to many passengers. OP can't reasonably expect the other families on board to find her child nearly as tolerable or adorable as she does - that's just the nature of the beast.

My advice stands: be prepared with lots of little distracting toys, but don't even try the formal venue with a toddler and be prepared to hustle out of the less formal venues if your child begins to, well, act her age.

I have children; I love children. I do not inflict my children's age-appropriate behavior on other people who are paying premium prices to enjoy a place where the children's age-appropriate behavior is not appreciated. I just think that's common courtesy.

It's too bad that Celebrity does not have a Royal Tots and Nursery like Royal Caribbean does. I have heard great things about it on the family forum.

I am glad that at this time celebrity does not have this program . Let rccl attract the families :). It was very peaceful on our last cruise.

...... I do not inflict my children's age-appropriate behavior on other people who are paying premium prices to enjoy a place where the children's age-appropriate behavior is not appreciated. I just think that's common courtesy.

But the sad fact is that most people do inflict their children's age appropriate behavior on others. Discussion about the lack of common courtesy is common on these discussion boards. Please do not assume that the rest of us will find your child's age appropriate behavior cute. Leave your child at home or wait a few years, everyone will be happier.

Here's an example of common courtesy with young children from a recent post on the RCCL Forum. I doubt Celebrity cruisers are much different.

"On my recent Mariner cruise, the crew gave up enforcing the Adults Only rule and it was left up to the swimmers to enforce. Some parents think the whole world loves their 'special' child. Like the mother who was about to bring her 2 year old into the pool. The child was standing halfway down the steps into the pool and started a torrent of pee.....mother says 'dont worry darling' and indicates for the peeing child to continue into the pool. Well, I'm sorry but I choose to swim in the adults only pool to avoid that. When we told her that the child was not allowed in the pool, she said nowhere does it say that. ...um, how about reading the the 2 Pool Rules signs and all the literature in your cabin. She huffed off with child in tow saying we were all pathetic that a little child would spoil our day "

But the sad fact is that most people do inflict their children's age appropriate behavior on others. Discussion about the lack of common courtesy is common on these discussion boards. Please do not assume that the rest of us will find your child's age appropriate behavior cute. Leave your child at home or wait a few years, everyone will be happier.

Some parents do not understand child development. Bringing an 18 month old on a cruise is one example. The 18 month old will be behaving as most 18 months do behave. That will be normal child development. It is just the environment that the child will be placed at this age is of question. There are much better alternatives for an extended family vacation.

Everyone would have a better time in a few years.

Since the OP asked for tips, perhaps someone has a tip about how to discourage all the adults on board who, when they see a young child, cannot resist touching him or her, especially their hands. Any tips for avoiding Noro....can't imagine having to worry about that or worse yet watching my child suffer from it.

Since the OP asked for tips, perhaps someone has a tip about how to discourage all the adults on board who, when they see a young child, cannot resist touching him or her, especially their hands. Any tips for avoiding Noro....can't imagine having to worry about that or worse yet watching my child suffer from it.

I have never had that urge.

Wow- some of you are ruthless. I agree that I don't like to hear a screaming child, who does. I even had my husband take my own screaming child out of the room the other day because I didn't want to hear him. But why is everyone assuming this child is going to be screaming or a disaster the while trip. Just because some Americans do not raise their children to sit at a restaurant doesn't mean everyone else is like that... Think back to 30 years ago when it was a treat to go out to dinner- everyone was well behaved or people left. Now many families eat out several times a week and the kids are horrible. In this case - stop assuming they are bad parents.

One tip- unless you are in a suite there is no bathtub in the room and the child will not be allowed in the pool. So I would suggest bringing a small inflatable pool for bath time and play time on the balcony.

(And as a reminder to all the rude posters- many adults are just as annoying as rowdy children.)

We have always taken our grandsons (with their parents) on cruises from the time they were 16months old and it has always worked out well. I think the trick to successful traveling with children is to realize it is not going to be the trip you would do if you were traveling adult only, we made sure all of our excursions were appropriate for the age of the child. We all took turns babysitting which gave everyone an opportunity to do something "adult". We made sure to remove the boys from an activity or area if they were getting grumpy, but Grandpa was always ready for a walk or a nap, so it worked out well.:D

We found the crew to be extremely receptive to children, they all fawned over the kids, even the captain took a few minutes to come over & chat with the baby. I find we get even better service than the usual wonderful service on the cruises with the grandsons, the waiters hover over us & make sure they boys have what they need.

I think with some advance planning, you will have a great time on your cruise!

Definitely check out the family boards for some good "tips" on traveling with young children.

Sherri:)

Please listen to the majority of people... leave the 18 month at home. Everyone will be happier that the child is at home.

Unless your child is very good. I would not be taking him / her on a cruise. Children that age are way too young to appreciate the experience. Just one persons opinion. :)

You know, I hardly ever get into discussions of this kind, but I think everyone should ask themself a few questions before they post.

1. Does Celebrity allow an 18 month old child on their ships? Yes.

2. Does the original poster want to bring their 18 month old child? Yes.

3. When I post, am I thinking of someone else's question/feelings, or of myself? This answer is up to you. :)

Unless your child is very good. I would not be taking him / her on a cruise. Children that age are way too young to appreciate the experience. Just one persons opinion. :)

Did the OP ask for your opinion? I believe she just asked for tips on what to do with her child while on vacation. Do you have any reasonable tips for her, or do you just want to espouse your personal feelings?

There are places to do just that, but I don't feel this is the place. I don't respond to threads where I don't have an answer, any experience as to what the OP is asking, etc. I don't feel the need to build my post count, nor do I continue a thread where the original question has been asked and answered quite well.

Just one persons opinion.

Archived