Marina wine package/recent travelers

barcrab

We are travelling at the end of this month on Marina and are still thinking about the premium wine package. We do drink mostly chardonnay and wonder if the current website is accurate in offerings. We bought a bottle of the Hoffman and Terra and were not too keen on either one.

Even though we will be drinking other wines/champagnes, chardonnay is our mainstay and glass choices are very limited. An update would be appreciated!

We are travelling at the end of this month on Marina and are still thinking about the premium wine package. We do drink mostly chardonnay and wonder if the current website is accurate in offerings. We bought a bottle of the Hoffman and Terra and were not too keen on either one.

Even though we will be drinking other wines/champagnes, chardonnay is our mainstay and glass choices are very limited. An update would be appreciated!

We've been a huge proponent of the Beverage Packages since their inception, but if you intend to mostly stick to a particular variety of wine, then you will probably be happier ordering individual bottles from the ship's master wine list.

The selection of Chardonnay's will be far greater, and unless you have very expensive tastes (and a wooden leg), I'd imagine that you will even save money versus purchasing the Prestige Package.

Oceania will mark your bottles, and serve them by the glass, wherever on the ship you would like a drink.

Cheers!

Edited by JimandStan
rewording

I agree with Jim/Stan's advice! That's why we aren't attracted to the package. I prefer to buy the "bottle" I want. Besides, my husband is very close to being a non-drinker, and we don't go into the bars for cocktails or after dinner drinks. So the package really doesn't appeal to us. There's no way I could drink enough to make that daily price worth it.

But especially, if you aren't fond of the wines they offer with the package -- don't do it! (And considering the Jim/Stan love the package and find it well worth the price, if they advise you not to ... 'Nuff said.)

JMO.

Mura

We recently sailed on Marina and for the third time bought a "wine package" on the 1st day. There is a list and you mark how many bottles of each you would like. I think the discount was around 30% after the third bottle. The ship holds the bottles and you can request them in any dining venue or delivered to your stateroom/suite. Opened bottles follow you the next evening.

There was also a wine"bazaar" in La Reserve. There were wines in limited availability at reduced prices. It was fun and the recommendations we received were spot-on. We have also picked up bottles at wine tastings on and off the ship on our cruises.

We recently sailed on Marina and for the third time bought a "wine package" on the 1st day. There is a list and you mark how many bottles of each you would like. I think the discount was around 30% after the third bottle. The ship holds the bottles and you can request them in any dining venue or delivered to your stateroom/suite. Opened bottles follow you the next evening.

There was also a wine"bazaar" in La Reserve. There were wines in limited availability at reduced prices. It was fun and the recommendations we received were spot-on. We have also picked up bottles at wine tastings on and off the ship on our cruises.

We are sailing on the Riviera in September and would like to know more about these wine packages. Do you have to buy in multiples of 3 and what sort of prices/types of wine are we looking at? Do they incur a gratuities charge? What kind of prices did the wine bazaar attract? Was that also only available on the 1st day? Any info would be greatly appreciated, thank you :)

There were a range of vintages and price points on the list. Everything from Asti to cabs (about $34-120/bottle) I believe the cost reduction was based on total bottles purchased (not of each variety). Yes they added the 18% grat to the price. If you are in Europe save the VAT by waiting until you have left port to purchase;)

I do not believe the wines listed were the same from cruise to cruise.

The bazaar wines had price points from $28 - $125. The original price and the "sale" price were shown on a tag. Some wines they had one bottle of, others a case. The sommeliers on-board are very helpful. Knowing what we planned to order in some of the specialties restaurants enabled us to ask about pairings.

When they approach your table at dinner just tell them what you would like brought to up for you. A few times the sommelier even called our room when we had specialty restaurant reservations and asked which bottles should be waiting for us that evening.

Oceania goes above and beyond when it comes to fine dining.

we will be on Marina in August and are considering the Prestige Beverage Package. I'm not so concerned about the fact that we cannot order a bottle, but wonder if we are offered suggested wines for each course in the meal. For before and after dinner beverages, I hope to see nice options for martinis and single malt whisky. Any advice here?

wonder if we are offered suggested wines for each course in the meal.

I'm sure that the Wine waiter will make a suggestion if asked, but that is not a part of the typical table service.

I hope to see nice options for martinis and single malt whisky. Any advice here?

Any Martini that is made on the ship is included in the Package, as are all of the Single Malts that appear on the Bar Menu.

I don't pretend to be a Whisky aficionado, but last we were onboard, they were pouring Glenfiddich Pure Malt, Highland Park (12), Glenlivet (12), Macallan Select, Macallan Makers Edition, Dalwhinnie Classic (15) and Highland Park (25) and about twenty others.

You can buy 3 bottles or more of a good white wine and get 30% discount. They will serve you the bottles in any reataurant. That's the way to go.

We got Gavi di Gavi, Sancerre, Gary Farrell Chardonnay, and Piper Sonoma sparkling wine plus a very good Cab.

I found your advice very helpful. I am wondering if you are "legally" allowed to bring wine purchased on land on board and to drink it. Two years ago we brought two bottles purchased in Italy on to a Celebrity ship and it was confiscated from packed luggage and we were treated liked felons - us and at least 300 others! Does Oceania allow you to bring wine on board? Last year I never brought a thing onto Holland America's Prinsendam, too threatened by poor treatment the year before. Thanks to anyone who can clear this up for me.

Barb and Pete

Does Oceania allow you to bring wine on board?

Barb and Pete

Yes you are allowed to bring wine & spirits onboard for use in your cabin

If you want to take a bottle of wine to the dining venues you will be charged a corkage fee ($25 I think)

They will store unsed amount for you to enjoy at the next meal ;)

see this thread

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1875209

Lyn

Edited by LHT28

Barb and Pete,

Oceania doesn't confiscate any wine or liquor you bring on board as long as you behave -- er -- appropriately.

It is for consumption in your suite, not in a public area, and there is a corkage fee for wine consumed in a restaurant.

NCL has the same policy as Celebrity but I successful sneaked some on board using Rum Runners ...

Mura

Barb and Pete,

Oceania doesn't confiscate any wine or liquor you bring on board as long as you behave -- er -- appropriately.

It is for consumption in your suite, not in a public area, and there is a corkage fee for wine consumed in a restaurant.

NCL has the same policy as Celebrity but I successful sneaked some on board using Rum Runners ...

Mura

Hi Mura,

Thank you so much for the information. I would only bring 2 bottles on board for consumption in our room. Pete doesn't drink much at all, but I enjoy my glass of wine before dinner while I'm getting dressed, sometimes. I plan to buy a wine package on board ship for the dining rooms, but you solved a big question for me. Many thanks, Barbara

Is there a list anywhere on the Oceania site of the wines available to purchase by the bottle for in-cabin consumption? We like to taste some of the wines before boarding if they are unfamiliar to us. Also, can you purchase bottles of liquor onboard for cabin use?

The O site has no search feature :confused:

Is there a list anywhere on the Oceania site of the wines available to purchase by the bottle for in-cabin consumption? We like to taste some of the wines before boarding if they are unfamiliar to us. Also, can you purchase bottles of liquor onboard for cabin use?

The O site has no search feature :confused:

You could buy alcohol from the Bon Voyage selection but probably find some in port cheaper

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/bonvoyage/default.aspx

Someone posted a list of the wines available by the bottle someplace here

there is the search feature (top right) but it could change from cruise to cruise what is available

You can check under the restaurants for a sample wine list

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/ships/marina/restaurants/restaurants.aspx

but always subject to what they have on your sailing

You do not get the suggested wines for the evening on the menu with the liquor package.

Those are bottles, the package includes only wines by the glass from a fixed list of very adequate wines. It may sometimes be the same but don't count on it.

Martinis and all other drinks and liquor are includes and after dinner ports and sherry.

Overall its a very good deal while you don't get the vast array of wine you do of liquors.

You do not get the suggested wines for the evening on the menu with the liquor package.

Those are bottles, the package includes only wines by the glass from a fixed list of very adequate wines. It may sometimes be the same but don't count on it.

On your last O cruise did you not get wine by the glass with dinner?

The package suggests that wines by the glass on the menu are included in the drink package./..no bottles are included in drink packages

http://www.oceaniacruises.com/ships/marina/restaurants/beveragepackages.aspx

There is another package for Bottles of wine at a discounted rate ..varies by cruise as to availability

Edited by LHT28

• 7 months later...
Where do you buy the package of 3 bottles? I find this so confusing…..

Usually there is a table set up in the hall by the Terrace

There is a list of wines you can buy sometimes you can buy 2 + for a certain discount the more you buy the bigger the percentage of discount

This is different from the Drinks packages if that is confusing you

Edited by LHT28