Our Amazing European Adventure! Navigator of the Seas & Norwegian Epic Review w/pics

Fallo. Such a pretty, charming town!!

We used Rome in Limo a few years ago. Honofrio was our driver. He was fantastic. Mom hadn't wanted to go inside the Colosseum so we didn't get her a ticket online. Once we got there she changed her mind. No way were we waiting in that line. Honofrio walked right up to the front of the line for EU citizens. There was talking and pointing and the next thing we knew she got in for free. Woo hoo!!

Have so enjoyed reliving our May Rome adventure. The Fallo trip though, has to be the frosting on it! The photos of the country side are phenomenal. I want to go and stay and take day trips! One day we will. Thank you for sharing!:)

But we did it, we made it to the fountain, which if you can manage to get past the craziness of the crowds and the people trying to force roses upon you…is really a stunning site all lit up at night!

DSC_2479.JPG

DSC_2481.JPG

DSC_2482.JPG

Alex, Megan and I made our way down to the actual edge and tossed in our coins. We will be back! This was our insurance! Whew – we made it, we took our pictures, we had our moment at the edge of the fountain and we enjoyed our time! Isn’t that what it’s all about?

DSC_2483.JPG

DSC_2484.JPG

DSC_2487.JPG

DSC_2492.JPG

He's pretending to toss me in instead of a coin! Funny kid!

DSC_2496-SMILE.jpg

DSC_2498.JPG

We spent a bit of time in the area getting a few more souvenirs. Somehow though, I never found that “one” perfect thing. Again – another reason to return! This is something I tend to do when I travel – I see things I like and never buy them – I seem to think I’ll find something I’ll like better – I need to realize if I like something enough, to just go with my gut and make that purchase! I’m not talking expensive things either! Maybe a scarf or a little piece of art? Anything...then I get home and feel like I missed out on those little pieces. Anyway – I do collect magnets – I have one for every city or town that I’ve been to and I hang them on a whiteboard in my office.

We walked back to our apartment and on the way we stopped back at the gelato place right next to the Albergo del Senato. The one that Megan and I had our very first gelato on the first afternoon when we arrived in Rome almost three weeks ago! It seemed only fitting that we would have our last gelato here now tonight!

We enjoyed our gelato and walked slowly back to the apartment. Stopping to say goodnight to our resident cats at Largo Argentina.

It was late, time for bed…of course as I was backing up my pictures from the day, Alex brings me his cell phone – he dropped it in a sink of water while he was brushing his teeth. Really? It won’t turn on. Ok…we’ll let it dry out overnight. Obviously we have no rice here for the rice technique! What a kid, 3 pairs of sunglasses and now the cell phone! It's a good thing he makes me laugh almost every day! :D

It was time for bed, tomorrow we have to say good by to Europe. Bummer.

DSC_2312.JPG

Saturday, June 29th

It’s time to go home. I got up early today so I could enjoy the last morning somewhat before the rush of leaving. I got up and dressed and then sat out on the beautiful terrace. Our apartment was perfect. Our entire trip was amazing. One that I will never forget. I hope the kids have memories that they won’t forget as well.

IMAG0542.jpg

People often say they get to go on trips of a lifetime. In this case, I think ours really was. There was nothing I would have changed. Looking back, every single day was perfect. We are lucky. Very lucky.

Alessandra came by the apartment right on time, at 8:30. She did a quick run through and told us that we left everything just perfect. I could tell she was pleased. She returned our security deposit. I told her that if we ever returned, we would certainly stay here!

We walked out the giant doors and our driver from Rome Cabs was waiting right there for us. Right on time, at 8:45. We left Rome, and arrived at the airport.

As usual, my dad forgot to pack his little Swiss Army knife and had that confiscated because it was in his carry on. My mom mentioned that she always knows what she can get him for Christmas because he always gets one taken away from him!

The airport was packed and our flight was delayed for about an hour or so. There wasn't even anywhere to sit, except the floor! But everything was smooth.

DSC_2501.JPG

DSC_2502.JPG

We had a little lunch in the airport. I bought Megan some spicy salami and Pecorino cheese in one of the shops! I surprised her with it on the plane. It was in a little snack pack.

Our flight home was direct. Not bad at all. I got to catch up on some movies. I never get to see movies anymore. Especially my picks!

We arrived home to four cats who seemed to miss us very much and a huge stack of mail.

Here it is now nearly two months later and I can’t help feel like our trip was so much more than a vacation. A good friend of mine told me before I left that I would come back a different person. I didn’t really understand that at the time. He was right.

So......that's about it for the trip! I do have some information I can add as far as hints about traveling with the kids, and with my parents, what we did to prep for the trip, and some thoughts on the two ships! So - I'm not really going away just yet ;)

Feel free to ask any questions you might have because as I mentioned in the very beginning, the only reason this trip was as amazing as it was was because I learned so much here (and from maybe one or two other sites)! But if I can help out anyone else in any way - I'd love to!

Have loved your review, absolutely fabulous outlook on life in general (do your children appreciate their wonderful, loving mother?), all the exquisite photos and really interesting travelogue. Thanks so much for taking so many others along!

Looking forward to your general thoughts about RCCL and NCL if you have the time and energy.

Given the same ports the same time but RCI v NCL , who would you choose?

Tough call - all things considered, but only based on the Epic vs the Navigator, I'd go with the Navigator.

There were pros and cons on each ship...and for this type of cruise, it really is all about the ports, and not so much about the ship. But as much as we really wanted to love the Epic, for us, it didn't live up to it's name.

I promise, I'll go into details. I really will. And it's not to say I have anything major against the Epic or Norwegian, I would sail on it again - but it just didn't wow me at all. And the shocking part was it didn't wow the kids! Except maybe when Alex got to have his picture taken with Spongebob! :D

Thank you for a fabulous review, I've really enjoyed checking in each day for the next installment. I'm not normally a big fan of lots of photos but yours have been so good I've looked at all of them and I feel like I really know you all by now!

We've got just over 3 weeks until we leave for Rome for our Navigator cruise and you've really helped build the excitement:)

Julie

Thank you so much for this awesome review. Pictures were breathtaking. I will never get there, but with your review, I almost feel like I was. Can't imagine seeing it in person.

Thanks for taking the time to do this. It is greatly appreciated and I will certainly miss is when it is over. Thanks for taking us along with you and your wonderful family. You are all so lucky and blessed to experience this adventure.

Gwen :)

Thankyou for sharing your fabulous, wonderful trip of a lifetime. We had our 'trip of a lifetime' 5 years ago and I wish I'd done a review of it. It's too late now, some memories have faded and some feel like it was just yesterday but most are still there and your review has rekindled many of them. It's taken me the best part of today to read through the whole thread and I just want to say thankyou for taking the time to share it with us. You have brought back so many happy memories of our trip, we visited so many of the places you did. Our journey was life changing .... literally. We moved house and our new home wasn't ready for us to move into for 8 weeks. So what better way to spend our time than a nice cruise and grand tour of Europe. We (me, DH and 3 kids age 6, 12 & 14) started our journey the very same day we sold our house. We stayed in London, Paris, Barcelona, cruised the Med, stayed in France for a week and then and back to London for a few nights before travelling back to Manchester (UK). LOL I laughed out loud at your planning ... I did exactly the same. For sure, we would not have seen a quarter of the things we did if I hadn't planned. Private tours, ships excursions, trains, ferries, taxis, cars ... you name it we did it! We arrived back in Manchester 3 weeks later exhausted, homeless .... and happy. It took another 5 weeks of hotels and living out of a suitcase before our new home was ready! But our memories (just like yours) will be in our hearts forever and our children still talk about it to this day.

My children are always asking me if we can do it again... sadly not :( it cost far too much money. I tell them I would be very happy to plan such a trip ... as long as they paid for it! Perhaps we could move house again ....

I have so enjoyed reading your review. We too had a similar trip of a lifetime, last September via a Med cruise and land time in Rome, Florence and Venice. I kept laughing at the similarities between our trip and yours. We took Bruno's Food Tour in Rome, and I think we went to the exact same restaurants. We wanted to stay at the Albergo del Senato but for 5 days it was just out of our price range. I kept watching their prices but they didn't get any cheaper!! We used Joe Bananas for our tour of Amalfi as well and we also went to the same restaurant in Positano (by the way it is called La Tagliata -ranked #1 out of 62 restaurants n Positano on Tripadvisor). This day and Bruno's food tour were the top 2 highlights of our trip. We also used Rome Cabs for our airport run. my all time favourite statue at the Vatican was the Pieta. Like you I was so drawn to it. I can't wait to see it again. we also feel the same way as you - Italy has captured our heart. I really want to stop calling this my trip of a lifetime as I want to ensure that it doesn't only happen once, but that soon we will follow our hearts back to Italy.

Thank you for such a wonderful review. You are one talented writer and photographer.

Thank you so much for the amazing trip review! I appreciate the hours and hours you spent writing it. I loved reading your reports and seeing your beautiful photos and sharing your trip along with you and your family. Makes me want to pack up and head there today!!

Fabulous review! And your photos are to die for!! Thank you for sharing everything with us.

I'll be looking forward to your wrap up.

Thank you! I'm glad you enjoyed it all!

Excellent!

Thanks!

I loved this review. I will miss your postings and wonderful photos. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks - I'm already having a bit of withdraw from posting every day! I do still have to wrap it all up though!

I loved this review. I will miss your postings and wonderful photos. Thanks for sharing.

Oh how exciting that you're going on the Navigator soon! Have a fantastic time and let us know how you loved it! :D

This was a fantastic review! I thoroughly enjoyed reading it. We are taking our 14 & 11 year old children on a Med cruise in October so I am looking forward to the tips you have! Thanks for taking the time.

You're going to have a blast! I was hoping to get to my tips on preparing sooner - but I think it may have to wait until next week! :eek: We're heading out of town for a few days, leaving tomorrow morning....so no time to post yet!

Thank you so much for this awesome review. Pictures were breathtaking. I will never get there, but with your review, I almost feel like I was. Can't imagine seeing it in person.

Thanks for taking the time to do this. It is greatly appreciated and I will certainly miss is when it is over. Thanks for taking us along with you and your wonderful family. You are all so lucky and blessed to experience this adventure.

Gwen :)

Thank you so much! I'm so glad that you could join along through the pictures!

I truly do feel blessed to have been able to have made this trip! :)