It is not just the ship that makes the holiday

caber

Just a thought when reading all the posts.

I have just come off Royal then Crown Princess. We had a lovely time. But it made me think of all the different Princess ships I have been on. There are none that I wouldn`t go back on. The company makes the holiday.

We have met so many different people, cruisers and staff, on our cruises. That, and the itinerary, makes it in my opinion.

I have just come off Royal then Crown Princess. We had a lovely time. But it made me think of all the different Princess ships I have been on. There are none that I wouldn`t go back on. The company makes the holiday.

We have met so many different people, cruisers and staff, on our cruises. That, and the itinerary, makes it in my opinion.

I agree.

Not sure, I always figured I made the vacation. Doesn't matter if the ship is rusty, the staff are rude (they seldom are), the people I meet are anxious and testy, I cold have a great time in the worst possible setting when I put my mind to it and I always do. The petty complaints I read are from people that look for the bad instead of enjoying the moment. I will complain however that my next cruise isn't for a few months from now...

Agree!!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I hope Princess realizes how lucky they are having a very friendly passenger base. We have met so many really nice people and made some very good friends. When all is said and done, that's the greatest perk of all. I think it relates to the relaxed atmosphere and lack of crowding on ships with so many people on them.

However, none of that means the ships are free from criticism.

The way I see it, those people who aren't going to sail on the Royal because of all the little things are making it more enjoyable for those of us who are sailing for the people we get to know and the places we get to see. I don't want to be on a ship full of grouchy people. Of course, now that I think of it, I don't want to be on a ship with a bunch of party animals, either. Princess, so far, has struck the perfect balance for what I want.

I cannot imagine it that I would equally enjoy the Royal and the Crown.

The Royal has thermal suite that I would definitely enjoy.

The Crown is head and shoulders above in all other things I would enjoy on a cruise.

Retirement cruising and vacation cruising have very different prospective.

Hi

As a soon to be first time cruiser on the Royal I applaud this sentiment ,I think of the ship as a plane/train/hotel which is taking us to some great locations.As we only have two sea days and extemded stays in Dubai,Barcelona and Venice on either end of the cruise I suspect we will be to foot sore to be critical

Kind Regards Anthony

Another agree Ship + Company + location = a good vacation! That said if you get a crappy port (think we only had 1) its good to get back to a stunning princess ship!

Stu k

I am not a grouch by any stretch of the imagination. I see a glass as half full rather than half empty. And even on the worst sailing I have ever had--QE2 in July, 1980 when they were having labor problems--I had an enjoyable, if not ideal, sailing.

The problem with Royal Princess is that Princess built the public's anticipation of the ship by their e-mails and videos to the point that the imperfections now being observed are causing great disappointment for many of us. Couple that with very premium Winter, 2014 pricing and a very ho-hum, repetitive itinerary: I know I feel let down.

I hope Princess realizes how lucky they are having a very friendly passenger base. We have met so many really nice people and made some very good friends. When all is said and done, that's the greatest perk of all. I think it relates to the relaxed atmosphere and lack of crowding on ships with so many people on them.

However, none of that means the ships are free from criticism.

Totally agree! The friendly passenger base is a BIG PLUS when cruising on Princess.

We have also make very good friends over the years with those we've meet on Princess cruises. :)

LuLu

~~~~

It is good to hear that Princess passengers are a friendly bunch. Unfortunately, the only experience we've had so far with pax who identified themselves as "Princess passengers" were those on a HAL cruise, with whom we were seated at dinner the first night. They spent the entire meal complaining about our ship (cabins, service, food, coffee) and comparing it to the various Princess ships they had sailed on. And this was the first dinner! They were also huge braggarts about their world travels. Very unpleasant.

I certainly did not draw conclusions about all Princess fans from these two, but I am still glad to hear that they were most likely "abnormal" for Princess.

Perhaps it is only those Princess pax who "cheat on" Princess (and therefore have guilty consciences :() who then become unpleasant. :rolleyes: You have helped me feel confident that Princess pax are not, in general, elitist blowhards who are only happy and pleasant with their "own kind" -- which we on HAL obviously were not, in the eyes of these passengers.

It is good to hear that Princess passengers are a friendly bunch. Unfortunately, the only experience we've had so far with pax who identified themselves as "Princess passengers" were those on a HAL cruise, with whom we were seated at dinner the first night. They spent the entire meal complaining about our ship (cabins, service, food, coffee) and comparing it to the various Princess ships they had sailed on. And this was the first dinner! They were also huge braggarts about their world travels. Very unpleasant.

I certainly did not draw conclusions about all Princess fans from these two, but I am still glad to hear that they were most likely "abnormal" for Princess.

Perhaps it is only those Princess pax who "cheat on" Princess (and therefore have guilty consciences :() who then become unpleasant. :rolleyes: You have helped me feel confident that Princess pax are not, in general, elitist blowhards who are only happy and pleasant with their "own kind" -- which we on HAL obviously were not, in the eyes of these passengers.

Sorry you had the misfortune of sitting with those people. Hate it when people do this on any cruise line. Why not just enjoy the good things about the cruise line/ship you're on at the time!!!!! :confused:

While we cruise most often on Princess, we also cruise on HAL and some other cruise lines from time to time and enjoy.

:D Sure we "cheat" on Princess ... but we like to "sleep around".

LuLu

~~~~

I am not a grouch by any stretch of the imagination. I see a glass as half full rather than half empty. And even on the worst sailing I have ever had--QE2 in July, 1980 when they were having labor problems--I had an enjoyable, if not ideal, sailing.

The problem with Royal Princess is that Princess built the public's anticipation of the ship by their e-mails and videos to the point that the imperfections now being observed are causing great disappointment for many of us. Couple that with very premium Winter, 2014 pricing and a very ho-hum, repetitive itinerary: I know I feel let down.

I felt the ship was rather ho-hum with the emails and videos that they sent. I remember showing my DH the one on the entertainment and his comment was "You've got to be kidding, the highlight is a tv studio? when other lines are putting in Broadway shows?"

Archived