Anomaly or New Standard on recent Oasis Sailing

You're telling me that people will pay $50 for a pair of flip flops but won't go to a Specialty Restaurant on their cruise? SMH ... My latest flip flops were $1 at Old Navy and they aren't even ugly!!

^^^^^^^^

This!!!

I had a phone stolen from me on Labadee... luckily I got it back, however, when I told the "cautionary tell" here on CC to warn people, I got blasted. Blasted for bringing it, blasted for not locking it up, blasted for my stupidity, blasted for assuming RCCL employees would help me.

So I'm sorry for you- YES, your wife should be able to wear $100 flip flops to the pool, and no one should blame the victim.

RCCL needs to step up their game with security- they completely and utterly could not have cared less when my phone was stolen, and wouldn't even come to the "scene" to ask anyone questions or even fill out an incident report.

This is a problem...if these incidents are not documented, passengers have no way of knowing how often it occurs (and if thefts are undocumented, guess the cruise line doesn't need to do anything about the thefts, either. :rolleyes: )

I remember your horror story. Sorry the blasted you

I had a phone stolen from me on Labadee... luckily I got it back, however, when I told the "cautionary tell" here on CC to warn people, I got blasted. Blasted for bringing it, blasted for not locking it up, blasted for my stupidity, blasted for assuming RCCL employees would help me.

So I'm sorry for you- YES, your wife should be able to wear $100 flip flops to the pool, and no one should blame the victim.

RCCL needs to step up their game with security- they completely and utterly could not have cared less when my phone was stolen, and wouldn't even come to the "scene" to ask anyone questions or even fill out an incident report.

This is a problem...if these incidents are not documented, passengers have no way of knowing how often it occurs (and if thefts are undocumented, guess the cruise line doesn't need to do anything about the thefts, either. :rolleyes: )

I assume you mean cautionary tale, but what you did was really odd.

The concept of not blaming the victim is a serious thing. This concept rightfully belongs attached to violent crimes, horrific instances, and abuse crimes.

I think stretching it to cover people who have $100 flip flops or electronic devices stolen from the pool/beach because they aren't bothering to pay attention to their belongings in a public place really cheapens that concept for victims of serious wrongs.

Way to take something legit and turn it into an excuse to whine.

You left an electronic device unattended on a beach. It was WRONGFULLY swiped. I agree with that. Stealing is bad. It is wrong. It shouldn't happen to anyone. It shouldn't, but it does.

As you go through life you will find out that just because you are allowed to do something, that doesn't mean you should do it. You will also find that just because someone else is not allowed to do something, that doesn't mean they won't.

Am I allowed to leave my doors unlocked and standing open at night? Yes. Should be I able to do that? Yes, I should. Will I? NOT A CHANCE IN THE WORLD.

Personal responsibility. It is what overrides what you think you are allowed to do when you probably shouldn't do it.

You're telling me that people will pay $50 for a pair of flip flops but won't go to a Specialty Restaurant on their cruise? SMH ... My latest flip flops were $1 at Old Navy and they aren't even ugly!!

Hey flip flops last a long time Specialty restaurant only a couple hours.

So flip flops are a better deal.

The concept of not blaming the victim is a serious thing. This concept rightfully belongs attached to violent crimes, horrific instances, and abuse crimes.

I think stretching it to cover people who have $100 flip flops or electronic devices stolen from the pool/beach because they aren't bothering to pay attention to their belongings in a public place really cheapens that concept for victims of serious wrongs.

That's a good way of putting it. I was trying to quell all the claims of "blaming the victim" earlier in this thread, because it seemed out of place for people to be crying that, in response to simple suggestions that you should be careful to watch your valuables.

When me & my sister are getting back on the ship & have bags/cameras that go thru the scanners we try to have one of us go thru 1st while the 2nd person slightly delays putting our stuff on the belt until the 1st one goes thru and then can wait for the stuff to come thru and take what is ours.

Pat

We do this too! not only when we board cruise ships, but also at airports. There are so many horror stories about thefts in places like this, when personal things are being scanned, that we don't want to take any chances anymore. I feel terrible for the OP and his wife, though. When you are happy and relaxed on vacation, you don't want to have to contend with such issues!

Okay, yeah, those are definitely "flip-flops" and not "sandals".

I can't imagine paying that much for a piece of rubber foam and plastic, but hey, if someone else wants to spend their money for it, that's their business.

Okay, yeah, those are definitely "flip-flops" and not "sandals".

I can't imagine paying that much for a piece of rubber foam and plastic, but hey, if someone else wants to spend their money for it, that's their business.

I feel confident if I went through your tent I would find something you overspent on.

Regarding theft, some people have more class and character than others. Last October on Allure, I left my Ray Ban sunglasses on a tour bus. A coupe of days later, a guy saw me walking along the promenade and said "hey, remember me? I was on the tour with you and picked up your sunglasses that you left. Wait here, I'll go to my cabin and get them" I was stunned, so was DW. The guy and his wife are now our new best friends, not because he found my sunglasses, but because of the content of their character.:)

I feel confident if I went through your tent I would find something you overspent on.

Well, I don't camp so I don't have a tent. ;)

But did you not catch the part where I said that if you wanna spend that much, that's your business?

I know people who would have just put their dog down when an injury ended up costing just shy of a thousand dollars... but Romeo is important to my family, and he was worth the money to us. You may think that it's insane to spend a thousand dollars on a dog's vet bill and you'd never do it yourself, and that's your right to make that decision. Just as it's my right to not spend fifty dollars on something that cost a buck to manufacture.

I also don't spend $200 on a pair of jeans, because they aren't worth that much *to me* to spend that much money on. Other people wouldn't spend money on a Kindle Paperwhite like I did, because it doesn't have the same value to them as it does to me.

We're all different, with different personal value systems and different income levels. And living in a free society means we can spend our own personal money on things that have value to us as individuals.

Regarding theft, some people have more class and character than others. Last October on Allure, I left my Ray Ban sunglasses on a tour bus. A coupe of days later, a guy saw me walking along the promenade and said "hey, remember me? I was on the tour with you and picked up your sunglasses that you left. Wait here, I'll go to my cabin and get them" I was stunned, so was DW. The guy and his wife are now our new best friends, not because he found my sunglasses, but because of the content of their character.:)

And on one of my trips on the Allure, I was wearing my sunglasses in Central Park on boarding day. I took them off for a moment - I am 99% certain where - and when I realized a few minutes later that I didn't have them, I returned, and they were gone. The people there disavowed any knowledge of sunglasses.

Archived