Anomaly or New Standard on recent Oasis Sailing

So add how many more personnel? I'm assuming you want the public areas covered for what? 16-18 hours a day?

Enough to have a presence. Having security on site will help. Cruise companies have the money and resources to get it done, but they won't do it since that means less passengers. You can keep asking for more and more details, but I'm not being paid to figure out details. I'm offering a suggestion. Take it or leave it. Something has to be done, and I am starting to believe you disagree, which is fine. But what makes you say cruises are so safe? It is well documented that cruise lines kept crime secret for decades until just recently, which is something even more disturbing. I'm glad measures are starting to be taken, but more is needed. I love cruising, but I'm not naive to the reality of the industry.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Ok, if I am the person sitting next to you and saw this happen, I would have said something while it was happening. I mean, she had to have seen that they were your wife's sandals. If someone completely different comes over and puts them on, and I see it, wouldn't most people say something to the husband (you)?

One of the things I enjoy about cruising is the camaraderie among passengers, whether it is on excursions or on board. Maybe you are right, maybe it becomes more impersonal with 6000 people.

Glad to hear you had a good vacation overall!

I agree. if I saw it happen the entire deck would hear a very loud, "EXCUSE ME." If the person kept walking in the stolen shoes I'd follow them and say something to the affect of, "Yo, chick who just took the sandals that don't belong to her, I'm talking to you." Guarantee that she'd walk right out of them at that point. Thieves don't like it when someone catches them in the act and would rather just leave the merchandise and bolt out of the store so to speak.

The security officer said they were not able to accurately identify, only that it was a younger woman wearing a blue bathing suit.

For more clarification I was sitting next to my wife, my daughter asked for something in the pool 4 ft away, my wife got up took her sandals/flip flops off and stepped onto the platform. She probably was there about 3 minutes max, came back and the shoes had been taken. Oblivious to me sitting right there but the person sitting next to me said she saw it happen.

The watch would have been more painful to lose but the fact is 2 thefts same ship in a 7 day span is pushing the envelope of just bad luck.

Bad luck is one way to look at it. Good taste is another:eek:.

Put an expensive designer bag on the conveyor belt, and somebody may want to steal it (and the contents). Actually that could happen anywhere, without the conveyor belt.

Leave an expensive, pretty pair of flop flops unattended for a few minutes, and somebody may want to steal them.

Carry a cheap, nondescript bag and the odds of theft fall.

Wear a cheap pair of flip flops to the pool, and nobody will want to steal them.

Of course, keep buying and bringing nice things if you wish, but understand the risk of theft is higher.

FYI, I wear $50+ sandals to the pool, and my non-sandal wearing husband wears $200 Jordans to the pool (not bragging, just a fact about his shoes), and we've never had anything taken. :)

However, we are never more than 10 feet away from our stuff, we don't leave and go get food or go to the restroom,. If one person leaves, at least one person from are party is always at home base.;)

We're from LA, we expect people to steal.:D

Enough to have a presence. Having security on site will help. Cruise companies have the money and resources to get it done, but they won't do it since that means less passengers. You can keep asking for more and more details, but I'm not being paid to figure out details. I'm offering a suggestion. Take it or leave it. Something has to be done, and I am starting to believe you disagree, which is fine. But what makes you say cruises are so safe? It is well documented that cruise lines kept crime secret for decades until just recently, which is something even more disturbing. I'm glad measures are starting to be taken, but more is needed. I love cruising, but I'm not naive to the reality of the industry.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

And I believe that no matter WHAT you do, you won't stop crime. I felt plenty "safe" during my recent cruise. At least as safe as I feel when going to Disney World or the local mall.

FYI, I wear $50+ sandals to the pool, and my non-sandal wearing husband wears $200 Jordans to the pool (not bragging, just a fact about his shoes), and we've never had anything taken. :)

Not to worry. Most of us would not consider it bragging to admit that you spend $200 on a pair of sneakers, because they have the name Jordan on them.

Not to worry. Most of us would not consider it bragging to admit that you spend $200 on a pair of sneakers, because they have the name Jordan on them.

Didn't say that I DID, said MY HUSBAND DID. And don't hate. Neither of us is responsible for the pricing of shoes. I'm sure that if I entered your home I could also find items that I thought you were stupid for paying way too much for, but that's your right, just as it is my husband's. Called Capitalism. Without it, cruising like this wouldn't exist!;)

I love it when people totally miss the point.

"Very expensive name brand" and "flip-flops" don't belong in a sentence together.

One would not think but ...perhaps you should go shopping with the wife sometime soon to a Coach, Louis Vuittone store. I think you will get educated in a hurry on 100.00 sandals.

Didn't say that I DID, said MY HUSBAND DID. And don't hate. Neither of us is responsible for the pricing of shoes. I'm sure that if I entered your home I could also find items that I thought you were stupid for paying way too much for, but that's your right, just as it is my husband's. Called Capitalism. Without it, cruising like this wouldn't exist!;)

I love it when people totally miss the point.

All I said was most of us would not consider it bragging. Sorry if I struck a nerve with you. And I'm sure, if you looked around my home, you would probably find things you thought I was stupid for buying. But in that case, I wouldn't be broadcasting the fact on an internet discussion forum. ;)

I don't think I missed the point, though, which was that you don't have to restrict yourself to cheap stuff nobody would want in order to avoid being a victim of theft. (Right?) I was just trying to ease your concerns that we might consider you to be bragging.

One would not think but ...perhaps you should go shopping with the wife sometime soon to a Coach, Louis Vuittone store. I think you will get educated in a hurry on 100.00 sandals.

I think the point was that, if they're $100+, they should not be flip-flops. And, conversely, if they are flip-flops, they should not be $100+. No doubt it's possible to buy sandals that cost that much. Most people apply the "flip-flop" name to something that resembles a piece of rubber cut into a semi-foot-shape with a plastic strap.

Don't sweat it Rolloman, Paul clearly isn't a shopper. I think your wife and I should go shopping together sometime, we'd understand each other I'm sure!:D

Hey, I wasn't even the one who made the comment; I was just explaining it too him. There is a difference between a nice pair of sandals and a pair of "flip-flops." I think a true shopper would know that. :-P

Some thoughts...

1. Stealing shoes? Particularly sandals/flip flops that are typically worn with a bare foot? EWWWW!!!!

2. Some people call any kind of thong-type shoe a "flip-flop" rather than a sandal. I personally consider a "flip-flop" to be the cheap plastic/foam kind, but I can see how a sandal without an ankle band could be considered a flip-flop as well. Regardless of what name you call it or how much it cost, someone stole someone else's shoes! EWWWW!!!!!

3. How is adding more security/personnel going to stop people from blatantly walking up to something and taking it as if they owned it? Unless every passenger is going to have their own personal security guard watching each of their belongings, there's no way for a security guard to know for sure which shoes belong to whom. I don't expect every employee to memorize exactly which passenger was in which (completely identical) lounger. The nasty person who stole the OP's wife's shoes (EWWWWW! Seriously, that is just gross!) could have looked like she "belonged" there and was just collecting her shoes before returning to her cabin.

Having more security guards walking around isn't going to help in those situations. If someone were going from lounger to lounger stealing multiple phones, hats, towels, watches, books, shoes (EWWWWWW!), etc., then that would be really obvious-looking, but that is not what was going on. I really don't expect to have a personal security guard watching my belongings for me (but then again, I don't expect someone to steal my shoes (EWWWWW! either!).

I've done it in PHL, no one has ever said a word about it. If anyone ever did, they'd get "the look" so fast that they'd shut the hell up, quick.

Well, I just went through Philly Sunday morning at 5:30 AM. Without exaggeration, there were literally thousands going through terminal E at that time.

Maybe you did that a very long time ago or maybe it was Philadelphia Alabama. Your "look" would wind you up in the special section at best, as TSA is not going to tolerate anyone holding up the process.

At worst, other fliers would handle it.

Next time through Philly, do it, and let me know how that works for you.

You can't make this stuff up...I just recieved and email from Royal Caribbean that says "Your Enchantment of the Seas Cruise going to be Incredible. LET THE COUNTDOWN TO FLIPFLOPS BEGIN. You made and awesome choice."

Ahhh, you are talking about thong style sandals, not flip flops. Big difference.

I think the point was that, if they're $100+, they should not be flip-flops. And, conversely, if they are flip-flops, they should not be $100+. No doubt it's possible to buy sandals that cost that much. Most people apply the "flip-flop" name to something that resembles a piece of rubber cut into a semi-foot-shape with a plastic strap.

^^^^

This.

Well, I just went through Philly Sunday morning at 5:30 AM. Without exaggeration, there were literally thousands going through terminal E at that time.

Maybe you did that a very long time ago or maybe it was Philadelphia Alabama. Your "look" would wind you up in the special section at best, as TSA is not going to tolerate anyone holding up the process.

At worst, other fliers would handle it.

Next time through Philly, do it, and let me know how that works for you.

No sweetheart, I fly from PHL at least a half dozen times a year and have done so for over a decade, and I ALWAYS wait to go through the scanner until my bags are in the machine. TSA has no right to tell me differently, and never has dared. If they did I'd immediately tell them to get a supervisor.

What do you think other passengers are going to do? I'm not stupid enough to be a sheeple to the TSA who have zero law enforcement authority at all in this country or some moron frequent flyer wannabe who thinks he's special for some reason. My Chairman's Card and over a million butt in seat miles tell me he can go scratch.

By the way, in many airports they specifically tell you to to wait until your bags are in the scanner before you go through the machine.

Terminal E. Pffft. That's your problem. All airlines that cater to "Kettles." I use A and B pretty much exclusively. Every now and then I'm cursed with a flight out of the Dump.

Ahhh, you are talking about thong style sandals, not flip flops. Big difference.

Focus on the obvious duck. The type and cost of the Flip FLop has no bearing on the thread. I should have said 1.00 flip flops but with your post history something tells me you still would have found some creative way to spin the topic into something it isn't.

I feel bad for this Nelson, poor guy probably got a severe beating after this :eek:

Nelson did not like his job, that much was clear. Fortunately outside of one not so good incident on FOS I have found they take care of my child when she is in the club.

It is a shame that some want to blame the victim here. I do think many of us tend to let our guard down on the ship, assuming we are with like minded people who are there to have a good time, not pilfer off with other's belongings. That doesn't make the victim wrong! Leaving a $100 pair of shoes under your chair while you are at the pool isn't exactly like leaving rolex's lying around. It is ridiculous to imply the OP asked to be victimized by wearing cute shoes!

I know at airports, the security scans have long been targeted by thieves. I watch the end of the belt like a hawk when I'm going through, and try not to let go of my stuff if there is a line at the body scan. It can be tricky! It sounds like you were being aware, and that's the best you can do.

I am sorry to hear you got hit not once, but twice on the same cruise. I have sailed Oasis, and while I found it to be rather impersonal, at least it wasn't hostile!! From all of the positive reports on this board, hopefully you'll chalk it up to bad luck, and not let it turn you off cruising, because it could certainly happen anywhere!

Some of these jobs seem like the place of last resort- I mean how hard can it be to run the carousel - mostly no one is even on it, and many times its adults. Seems like Nelson was on his way out, biding time till they trained and boarded someone new, and his supers stuck him there figuring he would do less damage there than anywhere else. Would you really want a dope who takes out his feelings of powerlessness on a little kid alone in AO with them:eek:. Be thankful the staff only had him where kids are mostly supervised by their parents!

As for people jacking your stuff, I've found that regardless of what I can afford, I like to travel with cheapo stuff, Im less of a target that way, but hey, if you dont mind having to keep eyeballs on your stuff all day, then go ahead and carry around name stuff. By the way, what are "expensive" flip flops? Not being a wise guy here, truly wondering? Old Navy had lines out the door last week for $1 flip flops, maybe your sticky footed friend should have gone there;):rolleyes:

I get that in some places stuff that seems useless to me is valuable to the local folks, and can walk away pretty easily, but clearly this passenger can afford her own pricey flip flops of she can afford a week on Oasis (whatever pricey flip flops are ;))

Family-

That's the killer part of it...somebody who can afford a cruise, steals flip-flops? Wierd. Gotta be either a theft ring, or a pathelogical thief. As for the woman who attempted to jack her purse RIGHT OUT OF THE SCANNER... I would have snatched it back too, as well as smacked her upside her head (sorry, I'm from Chicago). But yeah, I fundamentally agree with you; don't travel with items that you can't afford to lose. I keep all things of value at home.

Nelson did not like his job, that much was clear. Fortunately outside of one not so good incident on FOS I have found they take care of my child when she is in the club.

Yeah, I just never appreciate when people complain in name about a specific staff member. Having worked in services in the past I know how nasty little silly things can turn for the "middle man" - you're treated badly by both superiors and customers.

Focus on the obvious duck. The type and cost of the Flip FLop has no bearing on the thread. I should have said 1.00 flip flops but with your post history something tells me you still would have found some creative way to spin the topic into something it isn't.

It does have bearing on the thread, as the OP wouldn't have been as upset over the $2 rubber soled flip flops you get a CVS. Well, I don't think he would have. By the way, I had a pair of those stolen at a resort about six years ago. I figured whoever took them needed them more than I did.

Archived