Anomaly or New Standard on recent Oasis Sailing

I'm tired of people always blaming the victims with these issues. This is not the OP's fault...it was a blatant attempt at theft. The cruise line has a weakness in their security...THAT'S a problem! Good grief, I feel like if someone came up to me and took my belongings off my body, I'd be accused of "not being aware of my surroundings." Talk about drinking the RCCL Kool-Aid. And I really enjoy RCCL cruises, but some people can't take one criticism of their beloved cruise line.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I agree - but I'll go a step further. Dealing with sleazy thieves is one thing - having a crew member TOUCH (and I'm assuming Nelson had to touch) your child to get her off the carousel, is a whole different scenario. No crew member has any business touching a child, unless that child is in danger. Nelson wouldn't have been in the scullery if it were my child. Nelson would be looking for another job!

I agree - but I'll go a step further. Dealing with sleazy thieves is one thing - having a crew member TOUCH (and I'm assuming Nelson had to touch) your child to get her off the carousel, is a whole different scenario. No crew member has any business touching a child, unless that child is in danger. Nelson wouldn't have been in the scullery if it were my child. Nelson would be looking for another job!

As with most of the incidents, it happend while in my presence. I had to take the horse in front of the one I put my daughter on so it could not have been more than a minute before I looked back to see her suddenly off her horse. When I asked what happend (nervous she may have slipped) the little boy next to her was more than accomodating by giving me the complete story of what took place. I agree "Nelson" should have asked me before touching my daughter but he didn't and to make matters worse he walked away and left her standing. Just horrible all the way around. Was he going to start the ride with her standing? Was he thinking she could get up on the big horse by herself? Can't answer but I will say I hope he is not working the ride anymore.

We just returned from Jewels of the Seas sailing June 29 out of PR. As much as I believe in high security they should not be visible , intimidating or harassing passengers. The security on this sailing was out of control. Beware that they are watching you and your your families every move. A complaint was made to the chief of security on the ship but in the intimidation ruined our sailing and we will NEVER use RCCL again.

We just returned from Jewels of the Seas sailing June 29 out of PR. As much as I believe in high security they should not be visible , intimidating or harassing passengers. The security on this sailing was out of control. Beware that they are watching you and your your families every move. A complaint was made to the chief of security on the ship but in the intimidation ruined our sailing and we will NEVER use RCCL again.

Maybe you could be more forthcoming with more specific details so we might understand your displeasure? Security is visible to act as a deterrent for violence, theft, or egregious behavior. I appreciate that it is present. In what way was security harassing and intimidating?

Seriously? Are we that paranoid and protective that someone touching our child without permission is off-limits? I understand the concern about groping or other such inappropriate touching, but to think that an employee at an amusement ride must seek your permission before touching your child in any way is a bit wacko, in my opinion.

And, in this particular example, the employee might have actually though it was a safety issue, if he thought the child was too small for the ride. I'm not really defending him really, as from the OP's description, it seems he was a bit overzealous and rude. Your post just seem a tad over-the-top.

Seriously? Are we that paranoid and protective that someone touching our child without permission is off-limits? I understand the concern about groping or other such inappropriate touching, but to think that an employee at an amusement ride must seek your permission before touching your child in any way is a bit wacko, in my opinion.

And, in this particular example, the employee might have actually though it was a safety issue, if he thought the child was too small for the ride. I'm not really defending him really, as from the OP's description, it seems he was a bit overzealous and rude. Your post just seem a tad over-the-top.

One thing to consider is if he thought it was a safety issue he would have said something as he let both of us on the ride. Kind of odd we made it past his check point and behind my back he decides to challenge whether she met the requirements. Keep in mind there was only about 6 people on the ride at the time.

On one of our Oasis cruises a couple actually dine and dashed at Johnny Rockets. The other couple that were sitting with them refused to pay for dashers and stated that they did not know who the were.

I guess it is a floating city and you will get the good, bad and ugly.

One thing to consider is if he thought it was a safety issue he would have said something as he let both of us on the ride. Kind of odd we made it past his check point and behind my back he decides to challenge whether she met the requirements. Keep in mind there was only about 6 people on the ride at the time.

I agree it seems strange. I was just reacting more to Winnigirl's post about not wanting any of the crew members to TOUCH her child without permission. That part of the story would not be what bothered me.

I'm sure I've TOUCHed other people's children many times, to give them a high-five or help them with something, etc., without getting permission in advance from the parents.

The flip flops-I would never deliberately put my feet into someone else's wet, sweaty pool shoes (no offense to your wife Rolloman :D ).

The camera- glad you nabbed the creep that tried to rip you off!

The AO employee-this one surprised me. This is...in my opinion, a position in the fleet that requires a friendly, positive personality that exudes trust. So sorry you and your daughter were made to "show proof" more than once. Since this isn't your first time at the rodeo it seems as though you are able to put it into perspective. A first timer might have a very different reaction...

Wow. Well, I'm sure they were apprehended later in the cruise. The security cameras have unbelievable facial recognition technology. My guess is they found 'em. ;)

That's what I was hoping too. The manager had said that the workers would have to slip the bill between them on the runner's behalf. Would have been nice if RC covered it.

When you enter JR they inform you of the cover charge. Unless they were both hard of hearing they knew that money was owed before they ordered any food.

Always good to have a heads up on anything that you might not be expecting. I remember reading about the thefts that were happening on the public buses in Bermuda. The kids coming home from school were picking cameras and valuables out of the beach bags. Least expected and caught red handed. Here they are wearing their school uniforms and stealing. We held our bags close to us on those buses after hearing that.

Hopefully they got a horse whisperer to run the carousel.

Sorry it wasn't the most pleasant situation.

If you don't advocate for yourself, who will? Sometimes you have to call someone on the "unwritten rules".

I agree it seems strange. I was just reacting more to Winnigirl's post about not wanting any of the crew members to TOUCH her child without permission. That part of the story would not be what bothered me.

I'm sure I've TOUCHed other people's children many times, to give them a high-five or help them with something, etc., without getting permission in advance from the parents.

You are entitled to your opinion and I am entitled to mine. Seriously.

Langley,

Maybe the dine and dashers graduated to bigger thefts. Maybe if we look carefully they might be sleeping in Central Park. It will only be a matter of time till the dealers take over the board walk. :)

You're telling me that people will pay $50 for a pair of flip flops but won't go to a Specialty Restaurant on their cruise? SMH ... My latest flip flops were $1 at Old Navy and they aren't even ugly!!

Archived