Unflattering Article On Cruising

Pilot70D

This link is to a lead article on MSN.com this morning. It is an unflattering look at cruising which may be of interest to those of us who think that cruising is a safe, healthy and fun thing to do.

No particular cruise line is mentioned by name although the opening segment shows the Concordia laying over on her side. Unfortunately the article goes downhill from this starting point.

It will be interesting to see what those of us who do cruise over and over think of this article. Here is the link:

http://healthyliving.msn.com/health-wellness/11-reasons-you-should-never-ever-take-a-cruise

Take this article with a grain of salt and enjoy that next cruise.

I just read it and boy, talk about over sensationalizing something! Sunburn, over eating? Those were two of the reasons! The only ones that were specific to taking a cruise were the norovirus, and seasickness. The rest were common sense and could happen anywhere. So as someone who will take her first cruise in the fall, what's up with "news" stories about how bad cruising is? I don't understand the media's focus on cruises.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

This article seems to magnify some of the issues that cruisers have to deal with on cruises.

I am an optimist and tend to view a glass of water half filled instead of half empty.

I don't know the stats, but I would be willing to bet that Celebrity cruises have very little crime or assaults compared to even the best areas of major US cities.

Cruise lines are very proactive about sanitation and pushing Purell.

As far as the ship breaking down, it happens, but its pretty rare, especially if you don't cruise on Costa or Carnival.

I will continue to take my chances and cruise.

Stupid, stupid, stupid!

Might as well be "12 reasons to not step out of your house."

Just remember, this is on (P)MSN - so nobody takes them seriously, right? It's just like reading the old "Weekly World News." I wonder if (P)MSN has found Bat Boy yet?

Stupid, stupid, stupid!

Just remember, this is on (P)MSN - so nobody takes them seriously, right? It's just like reading the old "Weekly World News." I wonder if (P)MSN has found Bat Boy yet?

lol.

I love the way journalists jump to conclusions based on sensationalistic or overstated claims. As a for instance, the article cites "dozens" of sexual assaults per year. Guess what, there were 19 million cruise passengers last year, with an estimated 20-23 million annually over the next few years:

http://www.cruisemarketwatch.com/growth/

Dozens (what 2 dozen?) over 20 million is about a 1:1,000,000 chance.

Wonder what that equates to, versus a trip to Cancun during spring break or Las Vegas anytime.

Fact is, cruising is about the safest activity you can do, probably safer than sitting in your home watching the travel channel.

There has been a media war on cruising for several years. Though Carnival's track record the last couple of years has not helped things in that regard. Still, even with these incidents, cruising is VERY VERY SAFE!

I just read it and boy, talk about over sensationalizing something! Sunburn, over eating? Those were two of the reasons! The only ones that were specific to taking a cruise were the norovirus, and seasickness. The rest were common sense and could happen anywhere. So as someone who will take her first cruise in the fall, what's up with "news" stories about how bad cruising is? I don't understand the media's focus on cruises.

Typical Media nonsense. Magnifying the misfortunes Carnival has had then exploiting otherwise minor incidents abroad sparked by the Costa Concordia disaster.

I love the way journalists jump to conclusions based on sensationalistic or overstated claims. As a for instance, the article cites "dozens" of sexual assaults per year. Guess what, there were 19 million cruise passengers last year, with an estimated 20-23 million annually over the next few years:

Wonder what that equates to, versus a trip to Cancun during spring break or Las Vegas anytime.

Fact is, cruising is about the safest activity you can do, probably safer than sitting in your home watching the travel channel.

There has been a media war on cruising for several years. Though Carnival's track record the last couple of years has not helped things in that regard. Still, even with these incidents, cruising is VERY VERY SAFE!

Hit the nail on the head with that.

Take Norovirus for instance:

As per the article:

According to the CDC, more than 90 percent of outbreaks of diarrhea on cruise ships are caused by norovirus. In 2012, 16 norovirus outbreaks were reported through the CDC’s Vessel Sanitation Program.

Okay, still considering that there are 20 million cruise passengers per year, 16 Norovirus outbreaks in which there may be 5-10% of the passengers infected on each one, equates to a risk of infection that is extremely low. Well under 1% of the entire cruise population.

Think about it.

Most journalists SUCK at math, BTW.:eek:

I agree with you except for one thing: norovirus is NOT specific to cruising. It's the second most common virus after the common cold and plenty of outbreaks have happened on land in places like schools and nursing homes. The media always seems to talk about it as the "cruise ship virus" but never wants to mention how common it is in other places.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Forums mobile app

I have see this story before, they throw it on every few weeks, maybe on a slow news day.

If I remember correctly there are something like 4000people per year that get Noro on cruise ships and about 25 millions Americans who get it every year. Needs to be put in perspective but it should also be remember that the news media often use as a motto "if it bleeds, it leads." This morning I heard a story on National news about a kid who fell on a Carnival ship and was taken to the hospital and released. Is this news or is it just to knock a cruise line.

The one I got a kick out of was "unhealthy eating and drinking" Duh, that's why a lot of people cruise.

Sexual assaults would not be much of a problem on some of the cruises that I have been on, with the average age of 70.

Sexual assaults would not be much of a problem on some of the cruises that I have been on, with the average age of 70.

That some amazon comes bounding down the hall intent on having her way with me. Hasn't happened yet but I keep hoping.

"Average age of 70" = HAL

We were on a HAL cruise when a terrible thing happened. Someone started a rumor that the bars were running out of Geritol. Two passengers got run over in the stampede!!!

Y'all have a great rest of the 4Th of July weekend.

:D:):D

Not to malign any of the "experts" cited (o.k., so the maritime lawyer did make me wonder what the cruise line equivalent of "ambulance chaser" would be), but for a national news piece mentioning these issues, wouldn't you think that they could get a comment from the CDC, the Surgeon General, the AMA, a State Attorney General, or a recognized health expert? (likely, any of these folks wouldn't want to be quoted in an article so poorly researched).

My favorite was the concern for the mental health of shy people. That slide/paragraph was an insult to the mental health profession. :rolleyes: And to cruise passengers. And to shy people.

Oy.

Andrew

Stupid, stupid, stupid!

Just remember, this is on (P)MSN - so nobody takes them seriously, right?

And then there're reasons to not NOT step out of your house! :D

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2013/02/130220-russia-meteorite-ann-hodges-science-space-hit/

And people like to quote odds on getting hit by lightening...:rolleyes:

I contracted norovirus in 2003 either on a flight from Newark to St Louis, or at the St Louis hotel I was staying in.

So, i guess none of us should fly or use hotels, either.

I did so enjoy the mental health slide. Are you freaking kidding me? I've got some of the lowest self esteem goin' at times, and I've never had a hard time on a cruise ship LOL

Always shocking that some people get PAID to spew such garbage.

Ahh - but we did read the article, right? I didn't, since all the comments were enough that I decided 1) I didn't need to read it and 2) I didn't want to read it and 3) I didn't want to add even one number to their "hits" count.

I long for the days of real journalism, of fact checking and objective reporting. We need reincarnations of Walter Cronkhite and Huntley & Brinkley.

Archived