Freedom 6/30 WOW!

Just got back from sailing on the Freedom and had a "WOW" of a time. It didn't start off that way due to torrential rain. It got so bad with extreme wind that the captain asked for all guests to get indoors until further notice. Ok, no problem until........................ LUGGAGE! Yes, you guessed it. We were there early checked in and late afternoon "BAM", the flooding began. We were told that luggage did not get the green light from customs before the rain started. Union workers waited for the rain to stop and many bags (I mean many) sat in the pouring rain. Long story short, luggage got to our stateroom soaked around 9PM. Nothing anyone could do and it was not worth letting wet clothes ruin a great week on the Freedom with Richard and Jamie. We just literally hung every piece of clothing around our stateroom from the ceiling, light fixtures, wall paintings etc... Not expecting anything RCCL came through with drying clothes that needed more than a hanger dry (suit coats & cocktail dresses) and gave us $100. OBC for the inconvenience. They extended this gesture of good will to all those that were effected. I felt bad for the workers at the purser's office with the very angry disrespectful people. There hands were tied and did the best to ease the crankiness of many. I simply asked for extra wire hangers and a "T" shirt for my hubby and myself to sleep in for the night. Literally everything was wet, a dress shirt stained due to the running of a pair of red colored shorts but it was straightened out. Thank you RCCL for doing what you do BEST;)

Just got back from sailing on the Freedom and had a "WOW" of a time. It didn't start off that way due to torrential rain. It got so bad with extreme wind that the captain asked for all guests to get indoors until further notice. Ok, no problem until........................ LUGGAGE! Yes, you guessed it. We were there early checked in and late afternoon "BAM", the flooding began. We were told that luggage did not get the green light from customs before the rain started. Union workers waited for the rain to stop and many bags (I mean many) sat in the pouring rain. Long story short, luggage got to our stateroom soaked around 9PM. Nothing anyone could do and it was not worth letting wet clothes ruin a great week on the Freedom with Richard and Jamie. We just literally hung every piece of clothing around our stateroom from the ceiling, light fixtures, wall paintings etc... Not expecting anything RCCL came through with drying clothes that needed more than a hanger dry (suit coats & cocktail dresses) and gave us $100. OBC for the inconvenience. They extended this gesture of good will to all those that were effected. I felt bad for the workers at the purser's office with the very angry disrespectful people. There hands were tied and did the best to ease the crankiness of many. I simply asked for extra wire hangers and a "T" shirt for my hubby and myself to sleep in for the night. Literally everything was wet, a dress shirt stained due to the running of a pair of red colored shorts but it was straightened out. Thank you RCCL for doing what you do BEST;)

Glad you had a great cruise and didn't let this incident ruin your vacation. :):)

I love your attitude! Being around positive people always makes my vacation even better. When I hear someone always complaining, I want to run away as fast as possible. Things happen. Make lemonade. Sounds like you did and what is really cool is that when RCCL offered you a "bonus" you saw it as a gift and appreciated it even more.

I heard 50-60% of the pele had wet luggage. Fortunately ours were dry. Regardless of fault, RCL certainly did what they had to do to make things right.

We were SO excited to get upgraded at the Pier from a superior balcony to a JS! That was so nice.

Richard Spacey was such a great CD. We loved all his hilarious videos. The way he interacts with Jamie, his "sidekick", it was like Laurel and Hardy.

The highlight of our cruise was Captain Alan's tour in St. Maarten. Incredible. We also visited Cinammon Bay and it was way better than Trunk Bay, in my opinion. We can't wait to do these ports again for the same activity.

I love your attitude. Did what you had to and did not let it ruin your vacation. Weather is not Royal's fault so why people would get all bent out of shape about it is beyond me. We have flown many times when weather has stopped the loading of luggage. It is what it is. Koodos to you for looking at the glass half full vs half empty.

How about a quick review! We are going in just 3 weeks!

I heard 50-60% of the pele had wet luggage. Fortunately ours were dry. Regardless of fault, RCL certainly did what they had to do to make things right.

We were SO excited to get upgraded at the Pier from a superior balcony to a JS! That was so nice.

Richard Spacey was such a great CD. We loved all his hilarious videos. The way he interacts with Jamie, his "sidekick", it was like Laurel and Hardy.

The highlight of our cruise was Captain Alan's tour in St. Maarten. Incredible. We also visited Cinammon Bay and it was way better than Trunk Bay, in my opinion. We can't wait to do these ports again for the same activity.

We did basically the same as you but with Captain Bob. It was the best excursion that we have ever done too. We would do it again in a heartbeat and the grilled Mahi-Mahi on the beach was delicious.

Happy to hear that you were upgraded. We are now Diamond Plus too so maybe just maybe will have that same opportunity. I must say deep down it doesn't matter to me much only b/c I'm happy to be sailing regardless;)

How about a quick review! We are going in just 3 weeks!

Ok, I'll do my best without being too lengthy. We've sailed 4 times on the Freedom and each one was a little different. This current sailing was the best of the 4.

Must do's: Shows ~ Now You See It (Former America's Got Talent), Once Upon a Time, Ice Show, top 3 IMO

Comedian was great and so was the Impersonator (big review from Vegas) sorry forgot the name.

Escargot every night! Yum but I know that my cholesterol has to be up..... :(

Dinner was great every night. There was at least one thing that I enjoyed. Service was top notch. Had table #272 Waiter Amiteril Assist. Mario

Would not recommend doing the snorkel tour on St Thomas ($56. each) sorry forgot name. They did (4 workers) the best with 112 people on board. Way too many. Much like a cattle call but everyone had a great attitude. Just not worth it as it was way too crowded with 7 other tours in the same area at the same time. Looked a lot like the pool on a hot sunny sea day.

Captain Bob in St. Maarten worth every penny $99 included lunch (12 people per boat max). Check out the reviews on TripAdvisor. He's #1 in St Maarten.

Lots of fish, turtles, sting rays, etc.... BEST!

Coconut Smoothie on St Maarten pier area on the left. Delicious.

Coco Cay ~ We brought our own snorkel equipment and rented a life vest (mandatory for $6). Great time and saw tons of fish. Also rented a float mat ($12 for the day).

Plenty of time to use the Flow Rider (wear a "T" shirt for ladies over suit), ice skate (long pants required), rock climb, mini golf, etc... So much to see and do.

Richard Spacey left for vacation and won't be back until the end of August. His side kick Jamie will still be there and he is definitely an up an coming CD (IMO). They just fed off each other constantly. I spoke to him and he was really bummed that Richard was leaving but is optimistic that his replacement will work out too.

Bring your bathing suits with you so that you can enjoy the pool on your arrival day. Many lost out b/c of the bad weather and did not get luggage until late. We had ours so the disappointment was not so bad for us.

Oh, do the 70's night and then go to the Cript for Silent Disco party (use headphones) It was weird/different and so much fun. Security loves it b/c it's quiet (can't hear music unless you are wearing headphones) and people are just dancing away and singing (out of tune of course). Could not stop laughing.

Young children were well entertained with the activities for them along with the Shrek and company characters.

Lunch in the dining room as sea was a "BIG" plus. Awesome salad bar and also a full menu.

Hope you have a marvelous time. Let us know how your sailing goes for you.:)

OTownNick, did you have to ask for the upgrade or did they offer it?

Thanks for the mini review! I'm sailing Freedom on the 28th. Sorry to hear about the luggage/wet clothes. No one can control the weather and I really don't understand people disrespecting those working at the purser's office.

Escargot every night! Yum but I know that my cholesterol has to be up..... :(

Dinner was great every night. There was at least one thing that I enjoyed. Service was top notch. Had table #272 Waiter Amiteril Assist. Mario

Were you at second seating? I think we were right next to you, #275! I agree Amiritur and Mario were the best. Wasn't Mario right there anticipating every need? Loved him!!

We had two cabins, mine and my DH's clothes made it okay, but my kid's clothes were soaked. It never occured to us to have RC dry them for us. I know they would have if the kids asked. Should have thought of it but it was a minor glitch in a great week!

I love to read these great reviews about FOS! Sorry to hear about the wet luggage, but it sounds like they did their best to make it right for everyone.

Only 10 more months until we get to sail on her! :eek:

Was it the turtle snorkel? Thanks, Deb.

Caribbean Sea Safari, Beach Snorkeling & Fun by Power Cat

cost $56. per person

Would not recommend only b/c there were way too many on tour (112 people and 4 workers). Then when we arrived at turtle cove there were already 6 or 7 boats filled with snorkelers.

It reminded me of the cruise ship pool on a hot sunny sea day with everyone trying to get into the pool. Just way too many.

If you do go to St. Maarten, I would highly recommend Captain Bob. Check out TripAdvisor. He's rated #1 for the tour and you can walk to his speed boat (10-15 minute walk at most). Teenagers would love this tour. Would not recommend for children under 8 yrs or over 65+ yrs b/c of the speed of the ride and having to hold on tight. Other than that, loads of fun :)

This happened to us in Jamaica once boarding the Sea Princess. Everything wet thru.

I am a fan of wrapping up a lot of the clothing now pre cruise. Those thin clear plastic suit bags work great (ik*a) as do old dry cleaning bags...they also prevent creases.

Glad RCCL sorted it with obc etc.

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Forums mobile app

This happened to us in Jamaica once boarding the Sea Princess. Everything wet thru.

I am a fan of wrapping up a lot of the clothing now pre cruise. Those thin clear plastic suit bags work great (ik*a) as do old dry cleaning bags...they also prevent creases.

Glad RCCL sorted it with obc etc.

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Forums mobile app

What a great idea about pre wrapping clothes just in case. After the 30+ cruises we have been on this has only happened this one time. However, one can also be pro-active and will use your thought on packing. Smart move and doesn't really take up any extra time packing.

Thanks for sharing :)

This has never happened to us, but I think I'm going to plan on packing in plastic the next time as well. Florida downpours are pretty commonplace, so I'd say so far we've been lucky. Better to be prepared though!

If you do go to St. Maarten, I would highly recommend Captain Bob. Check out TripAdvisor. He's rated #1 for the tour and you can walk to his speed boat (10-15 minute walk at most). Teenagers would love this tour. Would not recommend for children under 8 yrs or over 65+ yrs b/c of the speed of the ride and having to hold on tight. Other than that, loads of fun :)

We did Captain Alan's which sounds like the same kind of tour. It was so nice. It reminded me of spending the day out on the boat with friends. We did a 6-hr tour and there were 11 people on the boat. We had to take a taxi to the Oyster Bay Marina but Capt Alan arranged it for us. Did Capt Bob's also include an open bar and snacks? Where were the stops? We did Tintamarre (turtles), Pinel Island, and Green Key (a reef dive).

Overall the ship was great. I thought the Tutti salad wasn't as good as other times I've had it. They no longer chop the salads due to food allergies. Also. They don't have the Royal burger anymore on lunch menu. Room service menu still has the Bistro burger, but it's not the same as it was. Used to be a lot better. Now it's on a sesame seed bun. It's ok. Not a wow burger like it used to be.

Service in MDR was superb! What a hard working crew. SR attendant Mauricio was awesome. Couldn't ask for any better.

Shows?- don't bother going to Soulfunktion. People were exiting after the first couple of songs. we left after 3 songs. i couldnt take it anymore. Greg London was fabulous! My GF wanted to see it twice it was so good. Marquee was very good. Great singers! Drew Thomas was also very good.

This was so refreshing to hear as rather than the usual rant & tirade of some of how they were not going to cruise with RCI ever again, would have been screaming an shouting at every worker on the ship that would listen or pretend to listen and would have been demanding a full refund of the cruise!

Glad RCI recognized your Situation. We had some minor damage but not enough to report to customer service.

FREEDOM continues to rock.

Service: Great

Food : Great

Entertainment: Great

Best Of The Best

Caribbean Sea Safari, Beach Snorkeling & Fun by Power Cat

cost $56. per person

Would not recommend only b/c there were way too many on tour (112 people and 4 workers). Then when we arrived at turtle cove there were already 6 or 7 boats filled with snorkelers.

It reminded me of the cruise ship pool on a hot sunny sea day with everyone trying to get into the pool. Just way too many.

Do you know WHEN exactly the CD will be back? We are sailing on 8/25 and hoping he will be back then! :confused:

Archived