Solo Cruiser's Roll Call

42CruiseCrazy

18 minutes ago, JoseyP said:

I love you Ramona!   

from,

the other Brooklynite, JoseyP

Your big trip is coming up!!! South America! wow....

Thank you JoseyP and with 75 people for Chair Aerobics, I'm praying I can talk the ED or CD into giving me two time slots.  LOL, I even posted links to the type of music (Youtube) and the BPM (beats per minute), 128-140, and even more people signed up.  When I did that I had like 48 people, than I got the rest. I kinda think that was the wrong move -- LOL. 

Maybe one day us Brooklynites will meet.  I think there is a Travel Show this weekend at the Jacob Javits Center, if not this weekend it may be next.  My hairstylist is going, also from Brooklyn.  Cruise Ship companies will be represented.

Ramona

Hi Ramona, your post was very thoughtful.   I remember when I first started cruising and found Cruise Critic. I always sail solo and so I wondered what the roll calls were all about. In my case, I am quite outgoing and it is easy for me to meet people. I also agree with you about expectations.  I went through many friendly roll calls and meeting people and others, not so much. As the years have gone by I know my own part of things have changed.......a friendly roll call can enhance the cruise experience, but a slow one cannot detract from the onboard experience......I love cruising!

I have been cruising solo since 2003......thinking back over the years? I have had some wonderful roll calls and others? They were definitely in the "not so much" territory LOL....oh well, that is how life goes. There was a family on one in the early days and we actually spoke on the phone before sailing. Then, after meeting on the ship, I realized they did not want to have anything to do with me. It was very weird and to be honest, I felt badly for a couple of days.:classic_sad:

Then there was one (we sailed to the med) and had lots of tours together (doing them independently) and it was awesome!:classic_biggrin:.....one of the best cruises I have taken!

I am cruising in April and the roll call is quiet but everyone seems nice........will see what happens but I am looking forward to the cruise!

Again, I agree with much of your assessment to things.......I go on cruises for me! I may have learned the hard way on some things but try to use that "Life can give you lemons" thing LOL.......made some good lemonade.

Glenn, hope you have a great cruise too:classic_smile:

4 hours ago, Lois R said:

Hi Ramona, your post was very thoughtful.   I remember when I first started cruising and found Cruise Critic. I always sail solo and so I wondered what the roll calls were all about. In my case, I am quite outgoing and it is easy for me to meet people. I also agree with you about expectations.  I went through many friendly roll calls and meeting people and others, not so much. As the years have gone by I know my own part of things have changed.......a friendly roll call can enhance the cruise experience, but a slow one cannot detract from the onboard experience......I love cruising!

I have been cruising solo since 2003......thinking back over the years? I have had some wonderful roll calls and others? They were definitely in the "not so much" territory LOL....oh well, that is how life goes. There was a family on one in the early days and we actually spoke on the phone before sailing. Then, after meeting on the ship, I realized they did not want to have anything to do with me. It was very weird and to be honest, I felt badly for a couple of days.:classic_sad:

Then there was one (we sailed to the med) and had lots of tours together (doing them independently) and it was awesome!:classic_biggrin:.....one of the best cruises I have taken!

I am cruising in April and the roll call is quiet but everyone seems nice........will see what happens but I am looking forward to the cruise!

Again, I agree with much of your assessment to things.......I go on cruises for me! I may have learned the hard way on some things but try to use that "Life can give you lemons" thing LOL.......made some good lemonade.

Glenn, hope you have a great cruise too:classic_smile:

It's a false premise to assume if you have a group or in a group you will have more fun or not be lonely.  Learn how to become your own best friend.   

It's better to live in the corner of a roof then to share a house with a quarrelsome wife/husband.  Proverbs 21:9   Think outside the box of what that is saying.  On the roof gives you no shelter from the elements; under the roof your out from the elements; however...

My first cruise ever (Nov 2017) was with a group ...OMG!!  An exercise instructor puts together trips.  Thank God I soloed with the room 'cause I would have been in jail.  I had  sworn I would never get on a ship again.  When I got home and calmed down and evaluated the entire 10 day cruise (Panama Partial Transit), I did have a great time when I kept away from the group.  All my excursions were not with that group. 

Ramona

3 hours ago, NotThePest_Too said:

It's a false premise to assume if you have a group or in a group you will have more fun or not be lonely.  Learn how to become your own best friend.   

It's better to live in the corner of a roof then to share a house with a quarrelsome wife/husband.  Proverbs 21:9   Think outside the box of what that is saying.  On the roof gives you no shelter from the elements; under the roof your out from the elements; however...

My first cruise ever (Nov 2017) was with a group ...OMG!!  An exercise instructor puts together trips.  Thank God I soloed with the room 'cause I would have been in jail.  I had  sworn I would never get on a ship again.  When I got home and calmed down and evaluated the entire 10 day cruise (Panama Partial Transit), I did have a great time when I kept away from the group.  All my excursions were not with that group. 

Ramona

Hi, I was just giving a couple of my experiences.  I don't depend on someone else for me to have a good time.....was just pointing out a couple of different things that have happened to me in the past.  I love cruising solo....actually, it is the only way I sail.:classic_smile:.....out of nearly 50 cruises...….the % of them have been ALL GOOD!....that started in 2003....and  my next one is in 2019 so I have a great stretch of them.:classic_biggrin:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lois R said:

Hi, I was just giving a couple of my experiences.  I don't depend on someone else for me to have a good time.....was just pointing out a couple of different things that have happened to me in the past.  I love cruising solo....actually, it is the only way I sail.:classic_smile:.....out of nearly 50 cruises...….the % of them have been ALL GOOD!....that started in 2003....and  my next one is in 2019 so I have a great stretch of them.:classic_biggrin:

I wasn't calling you out but continuing the conversation regarding being solo while traveling and as an extension, while going to the theater, while "fine" dining.  If it wasn't thought of as an "other" then this entire "thread" or special grouping wouldn't exist. 

Ramona

Edited by NotThePest_Too

59 minutes ago, NotThePest_Too said:

I wasn't calling you out but continuing the conversation regarding being solo while traveling and as an extension, while going to the theater, while "fine" dining.  If it wasn't thought of as an "other" then this entire "thread" or special grouping wouldn't exist. 

Ramona

Thank you for the clarification. Sometimes the internet can be such a funky medium.

On 1/25/2019 at 11:53 PM, Grburkart said:

I realize this thread was written in 2013. You’re dead wrong when it comes to what you said about roll calls. 

I’m very new to cruising and I joined a roll call for my upcoming Princess cruise in October. I’ve made a few posts to introduce myself and I’ve made an attempt to talk to people but they are so cliquey they wouldn’t give me the time of day if I asked. They talk amongst themselves and have zero interest in newcomers. It’s really a turn off and I almost regret booking this voyage. 

On the brighter side, and I haven’t read all the thousands of posts in this thread, but there seems to be a better comradery on this thread. People actually talk to each other. What a treat!

Glenn

Hi Glenn,

I have felt the same way about roll calls. I'd introduce myself, ask a few questions, make a few observations but find I would receive minimal responses.  Sometimes it seems that only certain subjects would elicit a lot of posting back and forth on those roll calls. Yes, and it all feels "cliquey"... But despite the fact that I usually felt out of place, I took advantage of the roll call by gleaning information about excursions, places to stay, etc. My roll call experience never spoiled my cruise. And I must admit, I'm better with "face-to-face" interactions, anyway!  Having said all that, this particular roll call doesn't feel as intense or cliquey and feels supportive. 

By the way, my first solo cruise will be Nov 2020- TA with Celebrity. Any tips will be appreciated!! 

Pat

Edited by TuggleRN

Solo, kind of, Oosterdam April 6, 2019 out of Ft Lauderdale.

I'm single and have a friend (married) who loves to cruise (her husband doesn't) BUT she's an early to bed, late to rise person, so I have (at least) my nights free.

Love BB King's and will spend most of my nights there.

Anyone else onboard????

So, with two checked luggage, a carry-on, a backpack and three over-the-shoulder bags (athletic; 2 beach bags), personal stuff AND two cases of personalized shirts (Ts, V-Neck, Pocket Polo) about 40 of us ordered from Custom Ink memorializing this 49 day trip around South America, I'm ready to head to Port Everglades tomorrow.  

So for all those I've encouraged, Pi$$ed off, or folks just don't care... safe travels going Solo and/or Single.  

Ramona

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, NotThePest_Too said:

So, with two checked luggage, a carry-on, a backpack and three over-the-shoulder bags (athletic; 2 beach bags), personal stuff AND two cases of personalized shirts (Ts, V-Neck, Pocket Polo) about 40 of us ordered from Custom Ink memorializing this 49 day trip around South America, I'm ready to head to Port Everglades tomorrow.  

So for all those I've encouraged, Pi$$ed off, or folks just don't care... safe travels going Solo and/or Single.  

Ramona

I just viewed the itinerary.. have a SPECTACULAR time!!  from a 1st time cruiser and solo traveler!

1 hour ago, NotThePest_Too said:

Ramona

Ramona,   I have thought of you, and your trip tomorrow!  and to think this is only your second cruise. It is so good of you to carry the cruise Tshirts with you.  I hope you have a fantastic time.Do you think you will post a little on the journey?  it is really an adventure of epic proportions nowadays.

You Go Brooklyn Girl!  bon voyage.......

joseyP

Booked another solo cruise while on the Anthem in January.  This one is on the Brilliance of the Seas, out of Amsterdam on June 12, 2020.  A long way off but at least I have another cruise booked in the meantime.  I'll be on the Crown Princess out of Fort Lauderdale in just under 6 weeks. 

I realize this thread was written in 2013. You’re dead wrong when it comes to what you said about roll calls. 

I’m very new to cruising and I joined a roll call for my upcoming Princess cruise in October. I’ve made a few posts to introduce myself and I’ve made an attempt to talk to people but they are so cliquey they wouldn’t give me the time of day if I asked. They talk amongst themselves and have zero interest in newcomers. It’s really a turn off and I almost regret booking this voyage. 

On the brighter side, and I haven’t read all the thousands of posts in this thread, but there seems to be a better comradery on this thread. People actually talk to each other. What a treat!

Glenn

Hello Glenn. Sorry to hear that your experience on the Roll Call was poor.  It can vary a lot depending on the people there.  It’s a matter of luck. This thread has been very popular & enjoyable over the years because of its people.  There are a lot of very nice, friendly people out there.  Before you book your next cruise you might like to join in and select a cruise  recommended by someone from this thread.  Happy cruising!  

I’ve made a few posts to introduce myself and I’ve made an attempt to talk to people but they are so cliquey they wouldn’t give me the time of day if I asked. They talk amongst themselves and have zero interest in newcomers. It’s really a turn off and I almost regret booking this voyage. 

Many have already commented on this but I'll add my personal experience.  I've been on a few cruises, many solo, and my experience with roll calls varied.  Some were amazing from start online chatting to finish meet up on the ship.  Others were poor online but ended up amazing at the meet-up on the ship, and only one was ok online and turned into crap on the ship. 

Sadly there is no magic formula to guess how it turns out, so basically I just play it by ear and hope for the best.  Most of the time it turns out fine, and if it doesn't well... it's not a loss, you're on a cruise!  As a matter of fact those roll calls are only a small part of the cruise for me, there are many other ways to interact with new people and make friends on a ship.  

Pat

QUOTE:

"As a matter of fact those roll calls are only a small part of the cruise for me, there are many other ways to interact with new people and make friends on a ship".  

I AGREE!!!!:classic_biggrin:

LOVE this- Once the cruise bug bites......excellent! 

RAMONA!!! so glad you posted!  so you are having a blast!  Yay!  great picture.  thanks so much for posting. I have been wondering about you, so far away.  Hope the fun keeps lasting! good for you. 

joseyP       Please post occasionally and tell me where you are! I forgot to check your itinerary, and now of course it cant be found on line. and the picture is beautiful. Makes me remember sunsets on Regal Princess, which is the same as your Royal.

Edited by JoseyP