Is there any value in bringing a tripod?

My camera has great image stabilization and the only time I really need a tripod is for night shots. I was thinking a tripod on a cruise ship would be a complete waste though since the boat itself is moving. But I would like to hears others opinions.

It MAY be useful on shore, depending on the itinerary, the lighting, and what you're trying to accomplish. I'm not sure tripods are allowed in the attractions on the Northern European itineraries where (e.g. St. Petersburg), where they'd be most useful. As you say, the ship itself is moving, so a tripod wouldn't be particularly useful for a night time exposure onboard.

I've not taken mine on a cruise. Not sure that'll change...

Correct, the tripod will not be helpful on the ship, due to the movement as well as vibration. I have carried a gollirapod with me on several cruises. Can't really recommend that either, because all I did was carry it --- never used it!:)

Though do consider two things:

1. The ship does stop moving when it goes to ports, and being able to do cityscapes or islandscapes at night can be nice.

2. Shots OF the ship while moving can be done with the tripod as long as the seas aren't so violent that things are pitching sideways - consider that the tripod which is sitting on the ship deck is moving at exactly the same direction and pattern as the ship itself, meaning a tripod can be used for long exposures of the ship rooms, outer decks, etc even while in motion.

It just depends on whether those are subjects you'd enjoy shooting. I've shot all of the above, and always enjoy nighttime indoor photos throughout the ship, so I always bring a tripod.

I tend to plan what I want to shoot before I leave. If I feel I will need it then I take it. Of 12 cruises I've taken it three times. I you have no idea what your going to photograph I'd leave it home.

My tripod comes apart and fits nicely in my suitcase w/o taking up much space, which helps if I want to take it.

framer

Venice could make it more complicated!

What are your stops? Daylight in Venice you shouldn't need a tripod. If you're doing the Med with daytime stops, everything we've said applies. But if you're doing any "once in a lifetime" stops in the evening, or planning to go into the Doge's Palace, for instance...

Edited by markeb

The ship movement won't affect a picture using a tripod unless you are outside with something that is not moving in the picture.

All though the ship is moving, the tripod is moving exactly the same so the camera is actually at rest in terms of the picture.

If your on deck taking pictures then yes, anything not on the ship, say clouds or the horizon line will indeed be burry because of the motion.

I usually take a tripod on cruises with me and use it around the ship for the most part. I do take it off the ship occasionally, depending on what I'm planning to shoot. Many churches and similar places have policies about using them inside but I've usually been able to obtain permission to use it simply by checking in with the security office if I see a sign explicitly saying no tripods. Otherwise I use it until told otherwise. the concern almost every time I have encountered a problem has been commercial use of the pictures. Once I talk to them and convince them I'm an amateur and on vacation with no intention no commercial use , they usually allow me to use my tripod.

Of course, size and weight is always a concern when traveling so I don't take my full size tripod (it' pretty heavy). I do have one specifically that I travel with that is much more compact and lighter. It's not as sturdy as my regular tripod, but it gets the job done and allows me to get more of what I'm looking for in tough lighting situations where a flash would just ruin the shot.

I was just doing a bit more research and found a "Wild Grizzly bean bag" for cameras. I decided to buy one off Amazon. I can fill it with polystyrene balls which will make it super light for travel. It won't give me everything a tripod will, but it will increase my options. I will take that and my remote.

Have to say I was rather intrigued when I saw this thing - never would have considered a bean bag, but heck I had my portable GPS mounted on one for a long time. It also has a handle so should be kind of easy to carry around. It is worth a try.

Venice could make it more complicated!

What are your stops? Daylight in Venice you shouldn't need a tripod. If you're doing the Med with daytime stops, everything we've said applies. But if you're doing any "once in a lifetime" stops in the evening, or planning to go into the Doge's Palace, for instance...

I don't have any night stops on the cruise but I will be staying the night in Venice. I may be able to get some cool shots of the Canal at night with my newly ordered bean bag :-) Kind of excited about that. If it works, it will just make my future travels easier. Not to mention I really like macro photography and I think this bean bag might be exactly what I need for that.

You mention Doge's Palace....is that worth visiting?

I carry a small travel tripod "just in case". In 30+ cruises, I have used a tripod perhaps a dozen times and 10 of those were pre-digital. With the ISO range and stabilization advantages of modern digital cameras, the need for a tripod is rare in normal conditions.

Still, if you have room in your luggage and the good sense not to set it up on a crowded deck, it is always better to have and not use than need and not have!:D.

I wrote an article on low-light photography that includes tips on shooting in bad light without a tripod: http://www.pptphoto.com/articles/lowlight.html

Dave

I usually take a tripod, but only because my tripod is easy to pack and carry. I have a Benro travel-flat and I highly recommend it for ease of packing away. I can easily pack it inside my 20" rolling carry on.

http://www.benrousa.com/products_catalog_TravelFlatTripods-AL-TwistLockLegs.html

And the latest generation of Travel Flat tripods include a detachable monopod.

http://www.benrousa.com/products_catalog_transfunctional-travel-flat-II-kits-al-twist-lock-legs.html

I have the original version - I bought it before version 2 came about.

I dislike those tripods that stick to the side of a camera bag, especially when you have to go through the x-ray machine (it can get caught on the machine), and the Travel Flat tripods don't have to be carried that way. If I didn't have a Travel Flat, I would not take a tripod with me.

Even then, my Travel Flat is the most heavy duty model Benro makes. Since most of my use (time lapse) is done with my Nikon V1, I think I can get by with a lighter duty tripod, and I may indeed go that route.

I have only found use with a tripod when booking a balcony. And it is mostly useful for taking time lapse photos - which on a moving ship still presents an advantage. If we book an inside room, which we do on occasion, I usually take a monopod rather than a tripod.

Since Time lapse photos typically use wider angle lenses (at least my time lapses do), then the shutter speed does not have to be cranked up a lot to keep blur down like it would if you were using a 300mm lens for instance.

Also, I recently bought an L-bracket along with a calibrated azmiuth plate so that I can take higher quality landscape photos on the vertical, and plan on using that setup with a tripod on my next cruise.

Edited by awboater

I carry a small travel tripod "just in case". In 30+ cruises, I have used a tripod perhaps a dozen times and 10 of those were pre-digital. With the ISO range and stabilization advantages of modern digital cameras, the need for a tripod is rare in normal conditions.

Still, if you have room in your luggage and the good sense not to set it up on a crowded deck, it is always better to have and not use than need and not have!:D.

I wrote an article on low-light photography that includes tips on shooting in bad light without a tripod: http://www.pptphoto.com/articles/lowlight.html

Dave

Thanks Dave! I had actually looked at your page before - I must have seen the link on another post. I have it bookmarked now.

My camera has great image stabilization and the only time I really need a tripod is for night shots. I was thinking a tripod on a cruise ship would be a complete waste though since the boat itself is moving. But I would like to hears others opinions.

It's worth taking and using, IMO, even with IS. I carried and used my Benro travel tripod all over the ship and on shore excursions to take long exposures during our TA cruise last November.

Here's a few examples taken from the tripod:

8211362775_ec078f208a_z.jpg

8212437766_197c1acfa2_z.jpg

8212430770_598c1c81ec_z.jpg

8212428164_e995fdb7d5_z.jpg

I recently replaced my travel tripod with this little brute:

51UZG9ofrGL._SL1300_.jpg

I added a small ballhead and now have a 9 ounce jacket-pocketable tripod that will hold my pocket camera, NEX or 8 lbs of DSLR with telephoto.

I still don't expect to use it much but the packing premium of "just in case" insurance is a lot lower than before.

Some images shot while using it:

p1553131894-4.jpg

p1553190892-4.jpg

p1552653154-4.jpg

Dave

Edited by pierces

I recently replaced my travel tripod with this little brute:

I added a small ballhead and now have a 9 ounce jacket-pocketable tripod that will hold my pocket camera, NEX or 8 lbs of DSLR with telephoto.

I still don't expect to use it much but the packing premium of "just in case" insurance is a lot lower than before.

Some images shot while using it:

Dave

Cool. I always like that down low perspective...