No Loungers in the shade on the Royal ???

chamima

My sentiments exactly! I booked the Royal 18 day Maiden over a year ago and have been anxiously watching its progress. It seems these ships are inwardly focused - smaller balconies, fewer pools, no promenade deck, expanded Piazza. I'm an outdoor person who loves a quiet aft pool and the serenity of walks and reading on the promenade deck. If I want indoor extravagance, I can go to Las Vegas. With airfare already paid for, I'm locked in for the October sailing, but am canceling next years TA on the Regal. I'm genuinely happy for those who love the ship, and i wish it success. Unfortunately, I apparently, am not the demographic they are appealing to.

I'm keeping my Regal cruise for now as I want to see everything for myself this year. But my hand is definitely over the cancellation button! The only thing saving me right now is that I have a bigger balcony with an overhang in my aft cabin. Still not crazy about topside.

Love Perincess and will continue to sail with them, it will probably just be on the Grand and Super Grand class ships.

My sentiments exactly! I booked the Royal 18 day Maiden over a year ago and have been anxiously watching its progress. It seems these ships are inwardly focused - smaller balconies, fewer pools, no promenade deck, expanded Piazza. I'm an outdoor person who loves a quiet aft pool and the serenity of walks and reading on the promenade deck. If I want indoor extravagance, I can go to Las Vegas. With airfare already paid for, I'm locked in for the October sailing, but am canceling next years TA on the Regal. I'm genuinely happy for those who love the ship, and i wish it success. Unfortunately, I apparently, am not the demographic they are appealing to.

The only thing saving me right now is that I have a bigger balcony with an overhang in my aft cabin. Still not crazy about topside.

Love Perincess and will continue to sail with them, it will probably just be on the Grand and Super Grand class ships.

LewesBeach

I think you expressed my feelings about the design of the ship perfectly.

We, like, SoxFan, have an aft, larger, partially covered balcony booked and so will, for now, not cancel our short cruise on her.

I am curious to see the ship so one week will be plenty.

Hi Berni,

At this point, I am happy I canceled my Royal TA in October. Fortunately, I did not have the airfare booked and paid for. I understand your dilemma with airfare booked. I do hope you have an enjoyable cruise - you do have some very nice ports, something I will miss. At least it is not a Caribbean cruise where you would want to be lounging poolside. I have friends booked on the Royal for Thanksgiving who are thinking of canceling. I will be anxious to hear your thoughts after you return. Wishing you a safe journey,

Kathleen

A detailed video I stumbled across

Good video of the decks and pool very quick around the 8:00 minute mark.

More loungers then I thought in the adult section.

Thanks for the video.

And only one row is under the cover of shade! Maybe 50 or 60 loungers for 3600 passengers!

Looking at the video of the Sanctuary - even those loungers are focused inward. (Definitely seems to be the theme of this ship! :( )

One of the things we loved about the Sanctuary was having that cushy lounger under cover yet still facing out to sea!

Thanks for the vid. I see barely any room for loungers in the sun or shade, while leaving space for walking room. Can't imagine it in the Caribbean while the ship is at capacity.

I like how the guy looked down from the skywalk and was able to see into so many balconies!

• 2 weeks later...
Don't know if you have been reading posts from the "Live From The Royal Princess" and the "Sunsetbeachgal LIVE from the Royal Princess" threads but there appear to be plenty of loungers in the shade and little crowding around pool.

From what I read, the shade by the main pool depends on the position of the sun and thus what part of the ship puts shade over some of the area. You can start out in shade and a little while later find your lounge is in full sun as the sun moves and/or the ship changes direction.

On most other Princess ships, there are lounges under an overhang near the main pools so that the shade is there 100% of the time. The Royal has tables under the overhang by the main pool.

I like how the guy looked down from the skywalk and was able to see into so many balconies!

we usually book a balcony on one of the top 2 decks and everyone on our decks could see into MANY more Balconies than can be seen from the sky walk. whats the big deal. As I see it those balconies below the top 2 decks now have more privecy than then they had before!!!!!

From what I read, the shade by the main pool depends on the position of the sun and thus what part of the ship puts shade over some of the area. You can start out in shade and a little while later find your lounge is in full sun as the sun moves and/or the ship changes direction.

On most other Princess ships, there are lounges under an overhang near the main pools so that the shade is there 100% of the time. The Royal has tables under the overhang by the main pool.

On other Princess ships, the sun moves and the chair hogs go to their saved shady chairs. :D

... On most other Princess ships, there are under an overhang near the main pools so that the shade is there 100% of the time. The Royal has tables under the overhang by the main pool.
And I for one am glad about the change because I would prefer relaxing in a comfortable chair or sofa. Off course, each to their own :)

Sounds like a great, non confrontational solution to chair hogs. You can't claim one chair in the sun (or shade) for an entire day :D

we usually book a balcony on one of the top 2 decks and everyone on our decks could see into MANY more Balconies than can be seen from the sky walk. whats the big deal. As I see it those balconies below the top 2 decks now have more privecy than then they had before!!!!!

No big deal to see into the balconies.

The difference is that it has been reported that from the skywalk one can actually see into some of the cabins. You cannot see into the cabins on the other ships.

No big deal to see into the balconies.

The difference is that it has been reported that from the skywalk one can actually see into some of the cabins. You cannot see into the cabins on the other ships.

This from the "Live From the Royal Princess" thread:

On the Seawalk last night it was quite easy to see into the cabins below. You can't really see in beyond a couple of feet or so, but you can see in without a problem.

Archived