Should I be nervous?

I am driving with my 18 year old grand-daughter to the Brooklyn pier for the Sept. 14th Canada/New England sailing. I have been told that it is scary driving to the pier - does anyone have any knowledge of this drive coming from Canada down highway #81.

I have sailed out of the Brooklyn pier three times and drove there each time. I have to tell you that I have absolutely no idea why anyone would tell you it is scary to drive to. I am sure this will not be your first time driving in city traffic. As you get close to the pier it can be alittle confusing so have your grand-daughter help watch the road signs with you. We are on the same cruise as you and my car will again be taking up a space in the terminal parking lot! The two of you will be fine!

I am driving with my 18 year old grand-daughter to the Brooklyn pier for the Sept. 14th Canada/New England sailing. I have been told that it is scary driving to the pier - does anyone have any knowledge of this drive coming from Canada down highway #81.

Interstate 81 isn’t a problem. It’s wide open, but it runs through Pennsylvania. To get to the Brooklyn Red Hook pier you have to go east from I81, and through some parts of New York City. For example, the drive from Scranton, Pa to the pier is probably around 3 ½ hours with no traffic. If you search Google Directions you can find lots of alternate routes. Personally I would leave a day early, make my way to a hotel that isn’t too far away, and then drop your Granddaughter off the next morning. There will be less traffic on Saturday. Carry lots of small US$. The tolls are very high on the bridges and tunnels, and you have to cross a bunch of them. Once you know your route you can look the tolls up on the internet.

Princess has a Northeast Motorcoach program. You may wish to look into this. Maybe, you could meet the coach at one of the pick up points outside of NYC. Call Princess for information.

I'm older, and it is difficult for me to navigate NYC roads and traffic, although I have done it.

Hope this is information helpful.

Thank you both so much - I really am not a nervous driver - I have driven to Florida three times and back - just thought New York might be different. Thanks once again - I can breathe easier.

If you can deal with snowbird traffic down to FL, you'll have no problems!

Interstate 81 isn’t a problem. It’s wide open, but it runs through Pennsylvania. To get to the Brooklyn Red Hook pier you have to go east from I81, and through some parts of New York City. For example, the drive from Scranton, Pa to the pier is probably around 3 ½ hours with no traffic. If you search Google Directions you can find lots of alternate routes. Personally I would leave a day early, make my way to a hotel that isn’t too far away, and then drop your Granddaughter off the next morning. There will be less traffic on Saturday. Carry lots of small US$. The tolls are very high on the bridges and tunnels, and you have to cross a bunch of them. Once you know your route you can look the tolls up on the internet.

Princess has a Northeast Motorcoach program. You may wish to look into this. Maybe, you could meet the coach at one of the pick up points outside of NYC. Call Princess for information.

I'm older, and it is difficult for me to navigate NYC roads and traffic, although I have done it.

Hope this is information helpful.

I also live in Pa and almost the exact same distance from the Brooklyn pier as Scranton. I don't know what route you travel that takes you 3 1/2 hours but it only takes me 1 1/2 to 2 hours at the the most.

If a hurricane is "scheduled" to hit Brooklyn, I would find alternate parking not near the pier. The cars that were parked in the pier parking last year during the hurricane were totaled. Probably a 1 in 100 year situation but that would be my only worry.

I also live in Pa and almost the exact same distance from the Brooklyn pier as Scranton. I don't know what route you travel that takes you 3 1/2 hours but it only takes me 1 1/2 to 2 hours at the the most.

There's no way to drive this in anything close to 1 1/2 hours (nor is it 3 1/2 hours). Maybe you don't live as far from the Brooklyn cruise terminal as is Scranton. Scranton to the Brooklyn pier is about 125 miles by the shortest route, and will take close to 2 1/2 hours even with no traffic delays because you simply can't drive all that fast as you approach and drive through the NY City area. If you've got a lead foot maybe you can do it in 2 hours 15 minutes minimum. (And I've driven to Scranton many, many times, traveling about the same distance on the same roads and always budget 2 1/2 hours for the trip.)

We drove from SW Ontario to Brooklyn. We actually entered NY state at Niagara Falls and took the 90 to the 63 to the 15 to the 80. This was a cheaper route (less tolls) and was an extremely nice drive. We were also told by someone that driving in through NY city would be difficult so we stayed around Newark airport somewhere (it was in 2009 so can't remember exactly where) but in the morning we drove through Staten Island to reach Brooklyn. The drive was simple but don't forget about the bridge tolls here. When we departed the cruise ship we went the other way through NY city and had no issues with the drive that way either.

If you can drive on the 401 or QEW in Ontario you can drive on any American highway in the east (I haven't driven to the western US yet just to cruise ports in Boston, Baltimore, NY & Florida)! The 401 and QEW are the worst highways that I have driven on. I don't like to fly so we drive to all the cruise ports. I would say that Baltimore was my favourite drive but NY and Boston no so bad either.

Archived