Summit- bad reviews???

spunke

We have been in the Summit twice before - but not since her refurb?

We are heading back on her this January and have read so many bad reviews about its service food and select dinning.

Should I be concerned that there new upgrades may adversely affect my trip?

Any recent Summit advice

We have been in the Summit twice before - but not since her refurb?

We are heading back on her this January and have read so many bad reviews about its service food and select dinning.

Should I be concerned that there new upgrades may adversely affect my trip?

Any recent Summit advice

There have been quite a few good reviews as well:) As for adversly

affecting your cruise? I have sailed her 5 previous times and will

be going again 3 weeks from Sunday:D and the only thing I am adverse

to is that they want me to get off the ship at the end of the week;)

Oh, my last cruise on her was back in November and I had a wonderful

time on that one too.

Hey Lois

Thanks for the info- any advice about select dinning or other issues about the upgrades that you could speak about?

Last time I sailed her I had traditional dining. I had a really nice

table with tablemates from the roll call.

Some folks only use Select and I am sure they will chime in. I have

done it a couple of times but I prefer traditional (that is just me).

As for the upgrades? They moved the Martini Bar, added Bistro

on 5 (a creperie)...they serve crepes, panninis and salads... 5.00

per person. It is very good (in my opinion).

They also added QSINE which is a specialty restaurant. They still

have NORMANDIE.

They also added Aqua Class Cabins and the restaurant that goes

with that category called "Blu".

You asked about issues? I don't usually find issues:)

No complaints about my cruise last January. Food and service was great. There are a couple of small public areas, like where the flower person was, lost to the paid venues but that did not adversely effect our enjoyment of the ship nor did the quality of the "free" dining suffer to push people to the paid restaurants. Celebrity is just trying to offer more options to satisfy different tastes. The crepe place was nice and the charge not so bad. I thought the renovations throughout the ship were quite nice and classy bringing a more up-to-date look like intended. There's always going to be the negative people. I wouldn't be concerned unless their numbers get to be more than one quarter of the reviews. It's usually a matter of expectations which is why we should always research on Cruise Critic first to find the cruise that matches ours if venturing on a new ship or cruise line. It could also be some people that just don't like change. So, no I don't think the upgrades ruined the experience.

My personal preference is to keep with traditional dining. I think the service is better and the staff quickly learn your preferences. Others love the flexibility of going at an alternative times not so early and not so late. Sometimes you are able to get the same waiter every day as well. You have the choice between flex/traditional if you set it up ahead. If you choose flex I would try to set up reservations for the week ahead of time.

If you enjoyed your previous cruises I wouldn't be reluctant at all to go and would be looking forward to it.

I have sailed on the Summit twice in the last two years. I love the ship and have no complaints whatsoever. I like the Select dining as it give us some flexibility. It also does not take as long as the main dining room. While I do not want to rush through the meal, it does not need to take as long as the main dining room takes at times.

I unfortunately cannot make a trip this year, but if I could I would be on the Summit again in a heartbeat. Enjoy your trip and have an amazing time.

I think if you do a search for Summit reviews you'll find more good then bad. I sailed her last June and loved it so much (which was right after the refurbish) that we did the same trip again this June and I'm still in love with this ship!

Here's a link to my review if you care to take a look.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1864953

We just returned from the 6/30 sailing (4th time on Summit). We had aqua class cabin 1140 aft which we loved and booked it again next year. We enjoyed the cruise but the only negative was the bar service both at the martini bar and rendezvous. We had the beverage package this time since it was part of the 123 promotion. I can't help but think that this was the reason for the poor service was because of the beverage package. I did have a word with the bar manager and every night thereafter the hotel manager was checking up and things got better. As an aside, we don't drink during the day but do enjoy a cocktail before dinner and wine with dinner. I do think that waiting 10 or 15 minutes to be served when the bar is not full is acceptable and not the service that we have had in the past without the beverage package. Other an that, it was a terrific cruise with excellent service in Quisine, Normandie and BLU. Embarkation and debarkation was quick and easy. On Sunday, we were home and unpacked by 11 (we live in CT). Can't ask for better than that!

We sailed on the Summit in April and we are back onboard this November. We had a wonderful cruise and would highly recommend it. The staff and crew were outstanding. She's slightly worn in places, but nothing that was an issue.

We had Select dining and it was very good. We had the same table for the entire cruise and we're hoping to get that table again! The food in the MDR was, in our opinion, excellent.

We just returned from the 6/30 sailing (4th time on Summit). We had aqua class cabin 1140 aft which we loved and booked it again next year. We enjoyed the cruise but the only negative was the bar service both at the martini bar and rendezvous. We had the beverage package this time since it was part of the 123 promotion. I can't help but think that this was the reason for the poor service was because of the beverage package. I did have a word with the bar manager and every night thereafter the hotel manager was checking up and things got better. As an aside, we don't drink during the day but do enjoy a cocktail before dinner and wine with dinner. I do think that waiting 10 or 15 minutes to be served when the bar is not full is acceptable and not the service that we have had in the past without the beverage package. Other an that, it was a terrific cruise with excellent service in Quisine, Normandie and BLU. Embarkation and debarkation was quick and easy. On Sunday, we were home and unpacked by 11 (we live in CT). Can't ask for better than that!

Hi CateW-

We were also on the 6/30/13 Summit cruise. We were in Aqua class, but on deck 9. This was our first Celebrity cruise and we were concerned about the age of the ship. Have to say, this was one of our top 3 cruises ever and we've been on quite a few. Ship generally was in great shape and we were glad to see it constantly being cleaned.

Regarding the bar service, I actually praised it on the guest survey. We also had the beverage package and were surprised at how good the service was all week and trust me we tried every bar on the ship at least once. I guess it just depends on which bartender you get. Glad you had a great cruise. We're on Reflection later in the year in Aqua class again. Can't wait!

We enjoyed the cruise but the only negative was the bar service both at the martini bar and rendezvous. We had the beverage package this time since it was part of the 123 promotion. I can't help but think that this was the reason for the poor service was because of the beverage package.

I agree with you about the martini bar service being slow and not as good as in the past. We did not have the beverage package, so I don't think that made a difference.

I discovered on my 6/23 cruise that it was hit or miss at the Martini bar. Gede is an excellent bartender and consistently made my mom's drink perfectly and quickly, while still providing me with my Pellegrino (I had the non-alcohol premium package). However, he was not always or consistently working and some of the other bartenders were not as spot on. So I don't think it has to do with the package, but more with the skill of the bartenders. Which, in reality, is something I find at bars at home too.

Either way, we had a fabulous time on our cruise. We had such a good time, that I have been looking at other cruises on Summit for the winter - now to just find one in my price range and for when I can go away....

Hi CateW-

We were also on the 6/30/13 Summit cruise. We were in Aqua class, but on deck 9. This was our first Celebrity cruise and we were concerned about the age of the ship. Have to say, this was one of our top 3 cruises ever and we've been on quite a few. Ship generally was in great shape and we were glad to see it constantly being cleaned.

Regarding the bar service, I actually praised it on the guest survey. We also had the beverage package and were surprised at how good the service was all week and trust me we tried every bar on the ship at least once. I guess it just depends on which bartender you get. Glad you had a great cruise. We're on Reflection later in the year in Aqua class again. Can't wait!

Which cabin, if you don't mind? I board her in three days, and I'm in Aqua Class Deck 9, too.

:)

We were on the Summit in May. We really enjoyed the ship.

There was nothing wrong with the service. Just sit back relax and enjoy. You are on a cruise and what is the rush? If you are in a hurry it is not the servers fault that you didn't allow more time. Most times the server was there before we could decide what drink we wanted.

Is it like the S class, not really as it is a different class. Both have their pros and cons.

There are many things that affect how people perceive a cruise and I really don't pay much attention to reviews as most are very subjected and influenced by emotions and their traveling companions.

Which cabin, if you don't mind? I board her in three days, and I'm in Aqua Class Deck 9, too.

:)

We were in cabin 9131. No issues at all. Quiet with a large balcony overhang (which you will appreciate greatly when in Bermuda).

Hopefully your cruise will be as good as ours. Smooth water both ways and very pleasant weather.

Enjoy!

We were on the Summit in May. We really enjoyed the ship.

There was nothing wrong with the service. Just sit back relax and enjoy. You are on a cruise and what is the rush? If you are in a hurry it is not the servers fault that you didn't allow more time. Most times the server was there before we could decide what drink we wanted.

Is it like the S class, not really as it is a different class. Both have their pros and cons.

There are many things that affect how people perceive a cruise and I really don't pay much attention to reviews as most are very subjected and influenced by emotions and their traveling companions.

You are spot on Miched. Can't imagine having a bad time on a cruise.

I didn't see anything wrong with the Summit when I sailed to Bermuda in June and to the Caribbean in December.

I posted a review for my Bermuda cruise in June.

I think the Summit is a fine ship and the service is top notch. Food is pretty good too.

We had the beverage package this time since it was part of the 123 promotion. I can't help but think that this was the reason for the poor service was because of the beverage package.

I was on the 6.16 sailing and also had the beverage package that came with the 123 promotion. Bar service anywhere on the ship was excellent and we didn't really wait longer than normal. If the bar was busy, then you would experience same wait times as a busy bar on land.

In the main dining room, our glasses of wines were never empty and in fact, we had to tell the sommelier to slow down a bit (he would refill our glasses when they had about 1/4 left in it).

The usual cheerleaders putting down any negative comment. Did I say I had a bad time? No! Waiting 15 to 20 minutes for someone to take a drink order is not good service.. Whatever.

The usual cheerleaders putting down any negative comment. Did I say I had a bad time? No! Waiting 15 to 20 minutes for someone to take a drink order is not good service.. Whatever.

Hi Cate, No argument from me...waiting 15-20 minutes for an order

to be placed? Too long....I would have flagged someone down

long before that.

Thanks Lois! We have done 15 Celebrity cruises, and have 2 more booked, this is the first time this ever happened. I did actually try to call someone over to no avail which prompted my chat with the bar manager.

Hi CateW! We have this cabin booked for March and April back to back cruises and are very excited. We have heard such good things about it. We are interested in hearing how many people do you feel could be comfortably accommodated on the balcony for a sail away party. We are sailing with friends and friends of friends and wonder how many we should invite. Any thoughts you have would be appreciated.

Doris

Archived