Iceland - questions answered

Does anyone know if we will be able to buy the Reykjavik 'Welcome Card' in the tourist information at the cruise port there? It does not mention Scarfbakki, (? spelling), on the webpage about the card, but I thought they may have them in all tourist information bases, rather than just the one(s) mentioned.

We are due in on 10th July and we thought the card looked handy to have, if only so we do not have to scamble for change on buses or for entrance fees. We are in port for 2 days, so that makes the price much more worthwhile.

Edited by tring

It doesn't look like it from the website, we are on the same one as you and also would like this, would be silly to have to pay for the shuttle or a bus just to get the welcome card. Not long now, starting to think about packing:D

That's what we were thinking about the Welcome card, but then again we may not find it is worthwhile anyway as we do not rush around.

Packing - well yes, at the end of the week, but not for Fred. We are off to Harrogate for a few days the week before we go on the cruise - going to a conference for my husband's professional institute. He retired 4 years ago, but we still go for the parties etc. That leaves 3 days for washing, ironing and repacking..... (oh, and I forgot the getting over the hangover bit). At least we can get to the terminal in half an hour - decided on a taxi to get there because we will not have to worry so much about reducing the luggage.

Would be nice to meet up with everyone as you had suggested - how are you at arranging that sort of thing? I am thinking that you appear to be the 'senior' member of the group (having started it) and I have put far too much on that thread of late, so it is time to take a back seat!!

Cheers

We are stopping in Reykavjik on a cruise and going to the Blue Lagoon. We're thinking of stopping on the way back for one of the famous hot dogs. Does anyone know if they take charge card or euro, or do I need to stop at an ATM?

this was probably covered, if I cab it back to the ship, does the cab take euro or charge card

We are stopping in Reykavjik on a cruise and going to the Blue Lagoon. We're thinking of stopping on the way back for one of the famous hot dogs. Does anyone know if they take charge card or euro, or do I need to stop at an ATM?

this was probably covered, if I cab it back to the ship, does the cab take euro or charge card

We were in Iceland in May, and didn't see any prices quoted in Euro. The prices we saw, including prices for the famous hot dogs, were in the Icelandic currency, the Krona.

Since we had a rental car we didn't use cabs, but someone else will chime in regarding cabs taking charge cards (but I suspect they do).

That's what we were thinking about the Welcome card, but then again we may not find it is worthwhile anyway as we do not rush around.

Packing - well yes, at the end of the week, but not for Fred. We are off to Harrogate for a few days the week before we go on the cruise - going to a conference for my husband's professional institute. He retired 4 years ago, but we still go for the parties etc. That leaves 3 days for washing, ironing and repacking..... (oh, and I forgot the getting over the hangover bit). At least we can get to the terminal in half an hour - decided on a taxi to get there because we will not have to worry so much about reducing the luggage.

Would be nice to meet up with everyone as you had suggested - how are you at arranging that sort of thing? I am thinking that you appear to be the 'senior' member of the group (having started it) and I have put far too much on that thread of late, so it is time to take a back seat!!

Cheers

Well as there are so few of us thought we could just arrange it for a sea day in one of the small bars or lounges. There aren't enough of us to arrange an official one and why would we really want to do that, would be nice to just sit for a coffee and talk about our plans, how about the first sea day, just don't want it to cash with an important lecture or something,:)

I'm on a cruise that calls on Reykjavik 02 & 03 Sept. and will be visiting the Blue Lagoon. I'm wondering what to expect with regard to changing rooms, lockers for clothes, etc. It was recommended we wear water shoes because the lagoon bottom is very rough. Is this really necessary as weight will be an issue and I hate to take along single use items even if they are light? thanx

Been there three times, never felt the need for water shoes (and I love my water shoes). There are a few "toe stubbing" opportunities, but if you're careful you'll miss them.

Locker rooms are wide open affairs, you get an individual locking locker for your clothes.

Well as there are so few of us thought we could just arrange it for a sea day in one of the small bars or lounges. There aren't enough of us to arrange an official one and why would we really want to do that, would be nice to just sit for a coffee and talk about our plans, how about the first sea day, just don't want it to cash with an important lecture or something,:)

I have only really participated in a roll call once before for a P&O cruise a few years back, so I am totally green on how these things work, but would also not want to miss a lecture or port talk. I would be quite happy to give our cabin number on the roll call if that helps.

I now realise I should not have mentioned this here as it looks as though we are talking behind the backs of the others and interfering with another thread - my fault again. Perhaps we should move over to the roll call.

Barbara

Edited by tring

I'm on a cruise that calls on Reykjavik 02 & 03 Sept. and will be visiting the Blue Lagoon. I'm wondering what to expect with regard to changing rooms, lockers for clothes, etc. It was recommended we wear water shoes because the lagoon bottom is very rough. Is this really necessary as weight will be an issue and I hate to take along single use items even if they are light? thanx

I have actually found the bottom mushy

We are taking a flight from Copenhagen to Toronto at the end of our cruise next spring. We have a 1.5 hour connect time in Reykjavik.

1) Do we have to go through customs as we are just "passing through?"

2) Do we have enough connect time?

Thanks. We are stopping in Iceland on the way over (Disney) and cannot wait to see your beautiful country!

Bill

Starting from the cruise port:

Go to the Harpa. Directions: Turn right on the cruise dock and follow the walking path all the way into the center. Walk inside the building for a few minutes.

Go to the Old Harbor. Directions: From the Harpa continue following the sea. A lot of restaurants there and things to see. The Sægreifinn (Sea baron) has a great lobster soup. Walk beside the huge fishing trawlers in dry dock.

Go to Vikin. Directions. Continue walking past the dry docks and to the Maritime Museum (go inside if the ship "Odin" is open for sighseeing). Behind the museum there is a very good geletaria called Valdis.

Walk through the old residential area back into the city center. Directions (you'll need a map now): From the Maritime Museum walk towards "Landakotchurch" which is on Tungata. Walk down Tungata and then turn left on Gardastræti and onto "Mjostræti". Walk through the small Grjotaþorp area which is the oldest neighborhood in Reykjavik.

"Skolavordustigur". Directions: Continue walking through the city center towards "Bankastræti". Then take a right and walk up the pleasant "Skolavordustigur" until you get to the towering Hallgrimskirkja. Enter the church and pay to go up to the tower for a 360 degree view over Reykjavik.

There are several very nice coffeehouses on this street including the oldest one called Mokka. Skolavordustigur is also the home of one the best soups in Iceland: Noodle Station (there is no menu, they only serve this soup with either chicken, beef or veg).

"Laugavegur". Directions: From Hallgrimskirkja walk down "Vitastigur" until you come to "Laugavegur". Walk down this street all the way downto "Bankastræti" and enjoy the sites. A lot of shops, restaurants, coffeehouses and interesting stuff. Stop at the tiny shop called "Visir" on Laugavegi 1 and buy some Icelandic sweets and drinks for tasting: "Liquorish rolls", "Eitt sett", "Hraun" and "Malt" or "Appelsin" to drink.

Back to the ship. Directions: Walk down "Ingolfsstræti" all the way down to walking path you took earlier and head towards the cruise dock again.

I will save this information for our upcoming cruise in September! How much money would I need to a day in port? Just for a meal and for the museum for two of us.

I will save this information for our upcoming cruise in September! How much money would I need to a day in port? Just for a meal and for the museum for two of us.

You can spend $10 for lunch for two (if you like hot dogs), you can easily spend $100 for lunch for two. Seabaron is a great place for affordable, very fresh, seafood.

Only go to the museum if the weather is very bad. The worst thing you can do in the outdoors in Iceland is better than the best thing you can do indoors.

Can anyone advise on tour operators?

Instead of the planned fall-cruise, I will "have to" go on a business trip to Iceland in August... most likely I will only need to work two half days and can spend the rest of the week exploring the country together with my husband (Iceland is currently on top of our bucket list so we are really excited to be going).

We will arrive Sunday afternoon, I will probably need to work half a day on Monday and Tuesday plus a couple of hours Wednesday night. We thought we'd use Sunday evening and Monday afternoon to explore Reykjavik and Tuesday to go on a whale watching tour or maybe a trip to the Blue Lagoon.

For the rest of the week?

We thought Golden Circle (maybe in combination with Reykjanes peninsula?), Jökulsárlón and Snæfellsnes? However, all tours seem to be very similar (and similarly priced) and except for the problem that tours might be offered only on specific days of the week I really don't know where to start looking. We are not interested in renting a car as DH doesn't drive.

Lucky you! I need to get my work to assign me a project like that!

I'd suggest skipping the whale watching tour in Iceland if you can do (or have already done) a whale watching tour elsewhere. Iceland has so many unique things (many that you have listed!) that I don't think you should do anything there that you can do elsewhere.

Definitely reconsider renting a car. We've done two self-drive tours in Iceland using only one driver (although we both *can* drive, it's best for our marriage if only one of us *does* drive), and 98% of the roads you'll take to the sites are paved and easy to follow. You'll save a ton of money on a guide, and honestly, I don't think you'll find a guide in Reykjavik who will take you much beyond the Golden Circle and the Blue Lagoon and maybe a couple waterfalls.

Jökulsárlón is awesome, but it's far away from Reykjavik. You can't really do it along with Golden Circle, unless you're prepared for 18 hours away from your hotel. The Seljalandsfoss and Skogafoss waterfalls are much more doable in conjunction with a Golden Circle tour. You could chose to stay in a hotel in the Vik area one night to do the waterfalls and then venture out to

Jökulsárlón on a day trip.

With a car, you can also explore Dyrhólaey and Reynisfjall and maybe see some Puffins (more likely in earlier August than later August)

Although Reykjanes is very cool, I think Snæfellsnes is more interesting. You can also see Reykjanes on the way too the Blue Lagoon or the airport -- again, if you rent a car it's only a short detour past the Lagoon and the airport to see what Reykjanes has.

I'd suggest skipping the whale watching tour in Iceland if you can do (or have already done) a whale watching tour elsewhere. Iceland has so many unique things (many that you have listed!) that I don't think you should do anything there that you can do elsewhere.

Definitely reconsider renting a car. We've done two self-drive tours in Iceland using only one driver (although we both *can* drive, it's best for our marriage if only one of us *does* drive), and 98% of the roads you'll take to the sites are paved and easy to follow. You'll save a ton of money on a guide, and honestly, I don't think you'll find a guide in Reykjavik who will take you much beyond the Golden Circle and the Blue Lagoon and maybe a couple waterfalls.

Jökulsárlón is awesome, but it's far away from Reykjavik. You can't really do it along with Golden Circle, unless you're prepared for 18 hours away from your hotel. The Seljalandsfoss and Skogafoss waterfalls are much more doable in conjunction with a Golden Circle tour. You could chose to stay in a hotel in the Vik area one night to do the waterfalls and then venture out to

Jökulsárlón on a day trip.

With a car, you can also explore Dyrhólaey and Reynisfjall and maybe see some Puffins (more likely in earlier August than later August)

Although Reykjanes is very cool, I think Snæfellsnes is more interesting. You can also see Reykjanes on the way too the Blue Lagoon or the airport -- again, if you rent a car it's only a short detour past the Lagoon and the airport to see what Reykjanes has.

Thank you so much for this info, we are planning a self driving trip for Sept. 2015, you have given me great ideas.

I just got back on Friday and had a hotdog everyday for the 4 days we spent in the city. They take cards. That's what we used. enjoy!!!!

We just returned last Friday. I don't think you need water shoes. Barefoot is fine. There are 4 or 5 private showers but you will probably end up dressing in the open with everyone else. There are lockers that come with entry. You get a band that opens and closes your locker. It's an adjustment in terms of the nakedness but so worth it!!

Grindavik is very cute. Make sure you drive down the jetty to the lighthouse and past all the shipwrecks!

This is a great restaurant there .... We arrived too late and had to cancel our reservation. Next time

This is another hotel that might work for you, it's just west of Vik. We met the proprietor when we did a glacier tour. Might be too expensive, though. It looks really nice from the "highway"

Nit mare just wanted to pop in and say thanks for recommending the Volcano hotel. It was phenomenal....the best on our trip!! We had the family room and Loved loved it. Iceland is stunning!! Thanks so much for your insight and we can't wait to return!!

For the rest of the week?

We thought Golden Circle (maybe in combination with Reykjanes peninsula?), Jökulsárlón and Snæfellsnes? However, all tours seem to be very similar (and similarly priced) and except for the problem that tours might be offered only on specific days of the week I really don't know where to start looking. We are not interested in renting a car as DH doesn't drive.

I would recommend Gateway to Iceland tours (gatewaytoiceland.is) We did their Golden Circle tour two years ago, and it was a highlight of our entire cruise.

Nit mare just wanted to pop in and say thanks for recommending the Volcano hotel. It was phenomenal....the best on our trip!! We had the family room and Loved loved it. Iceland is stunning!! Thanks so much for your insight and we can't wait to return!!

VERY glad to hear it worked out so well for you!

There are a ton of Italian restaurants to eat and there is pizza all over Iceland if you don't like Icelandic food. We ate at subway several times because I don't like fish.:eek::eek::eek:

I know :D

I complain about my job a lot but I am currently assigned a few really cool projects. Most likely my last really, really cool projects for quite a while as my boss who landed them will retire this fall.

I'd suggest skipping the whale watching tour in Iceland if you can do (or have already done) a whale watching tour elsewhere.

I guess while we could surely do it somewhere else we never have and I don't know when/if we could do it again. We had planned to cram it into one of the days where I need to work and where we can't be gone from the hotel for more than four or five hours.

An Alaska cruise is on our bucket list (oh well, on mine at least) but flight costs are currently a bit prohibitive (we'd need to fly from Central Europe), so is another Hurtigruten trip. And Panama Canal. And Hawaii. Oh well... only 33 more years at work until retirement (and hopefully winning the lottery).

Jökulsárlón is awesome, but it's far away from Reykjavik. You can't really do it along with Golden Circle, unless you're prepared for 18 hours away from your hotel.

We are :D

And no, we didn't plan to do it all in a day ;)

Current idea was - Reykjavik city on Monday, Whale Watching on Tuesday, day-tour on Wednesday (maybe Golden Circle, afternoon tour if we can't do full day), half-day tour on Thursday (maybe Blue Lagoon), day-tour on Friday and Saturday (Snæfellsnes/Jökulsárlón). I should have all day on Friday and Saturday due to a tour scheduled then that we will not be going on.

I'll put that on my "to research" list. Thanks.

I really don't like to drive... I am a safe driver but just don't enjoy it and think I'd be able to see much more of the landscape from a bus (though I get motion sickness on buses). But then of course I also said that when we were in Florida last fall and drove to Key West and lived. I will check out rental car prices over the weekend.

Although Reykjanes is very cool, I think Snæfellsnes is more interesting. You can also see Reykjanes on the way too the Blue Lagoon or the airport

That's a great reminder! I didn't think of that at all. So yes, Snæfellsnes might be the better idea.

I would recommend Gateway to Iceland tours (gatewaytoiceland.is) We did their Golden Circle tour two years ago, and it was a highlight of our entire cruise.

Thank you, they just went on my spreadsheet :)

Oh and I see they also offer a tour to Jökulsárlón... I had my eye on Time Tours but will check out Gateway to Iceland as well! Thank you.