Iceland - questions answered

Good morning,

We are planning to walk off jet lag on our first day in Reykjavik.

What would the estimated walking time be from the intersection of Tungata & Hrannarstigur to the Maritime Museum and from the Maritime Museum to Aegisgardur & Sudurbugt.

Secondly, what are the highlights of Videy Island?

thanks in advance, Oldbarn

We had only an hour layover in Keflavik. There is a self-serve shop near the gates in the transit section where we picked up ham and cheese on croissants and coffee. There were other choices for sandwiches. There was no waiting line. We were hungry by then and we ate while we sat waiting at the gate for our next flight to board.

Other Icelandair questions:

Will we have time to clear immigration and pick up sandwiches etc with our 1 hr layover. Flying DEN - KEF - LHR in August.

Do you go outdoors and use steps to board the KEF - LHR plane?

How often are drinks served on a flight --can you go to the galley to request at other times?

I am trying to determine what Icelandair means by a small handbag as a personal item?

Do carry-on bags have to be weighed and/or put in a sizer? Our bags are about an inch bigger in one dimension (depth of case).

Any comments on legroom?

Thanks.

Good morning,

We are planning to walk off jet lag on our first day in Reykjavik.

What would the estimated walking time be from the intersection of Tungata & Hrannarstigur to the Maritime Museum and from the Maritime Museum to Aegisgardur & Sudurbugt.

Secondly, what are the highlights of Videy Island?

thanks in advance, Oldbarn

Google maps says it is about 1 km for your first walk, and a bit shorter for the second walk.

There's lots of info on Videy Island on the internet. Here's a link to Wikipedia

Will we have time to clear immigration and pick up sandwiches etc with our 1 hr layover. Flying DEN - KEF - LHR in August.

How often are drinks served on a flight --can you go to the galley to request at other times?

I am trying to determine what Icelandair means by a small handbag as a personal item?

Do carry-on bags have to be weighed and/or put in a sizer? Our bags are about an inch bigger in one dimension (depth of case).

Any comments on legroom?

Thanks.

Sandwiches? Maybe, depends on how your inbound flight is running in terms of on time.

In my experience, we've had to use stairs about 1/3 the time at KEF airport.

We've gotten a pretty large tote bag and a very full computer bag on board, no problem, as personal item. Cuts back on how much leg/foot room you'll have, though! No sizer that I recall, but if it doesn't fit in the overhead, they'll probably make you check it.

Legroom is better than most domestic airlines.

Sandwiches? Maybe, depends on how your inbound flight is running in terms of on time.

In my experience, we've had to use stairs about 1/3 the time at KEF airport.

We've gotten a pretty large tote bag and a very full computer bag on board, no problem, as personal item. Cuts back on how much leg/foot room you'll have, though! No sizer that I recall, but if it doesn't fit in the overhead, they'll probably make you check it.

Legroom is better than most domestic airlines.

Thanks so much.

Any comments on legroom?

Thanks.

We just returned last month from Iceland and went on Icelandair. They made up check our carry on bag because they said it did not fit into the overhead bin. But I could have got it in and it was within the dimensions on their website. Icelandair gives you absolutely nothing to eat on the plane even though for us it was 5.5 hr. flight. They gave us drinks (coke, sprite etc.) but nothing else not even a snack. If you want a snack or real food then you have to either buy it on the plane or take it aboard from the restaurants at the airport.

I'd appreciate it if anyone could help me with an odd question. We can't quite seem to make a cruise work this summer, and were wondering if anyone knows anything about day camps in Iceland. I don't know if toddler camps exist in Iceland, but in the US the gymnastics schools run day camps for 3 year old children - does anyone know if such a thing exists in Iceland? It looks like the hotels don't have kids clubs, so I was wondering if there were any day camps available for a 3 year old? Thanks so much.

You might find something in Reykjavik, but unlikely elsewhere as there really aren't a whole lot of people in Iceland outside of the capital.

I'm sure there's enough in Iceland to keep a 3 year old with you excited. There are sheep and horses and cows everywhere (outside of Reykjavik). They won't be bored

We just returned last month from Iceland and went on Icelandair. They made up check our carry on bag because they said it did not fit into the overhead bin. But I could have got it in and it was within the dimensions on their website. Icelandair gives you absolutely nothing to eat on the plane even though for us it was 5.5 hr. flight. They gave us drinks (coke, sprite etc.) but nothing else not even a snack. If you want a snack or real food then you have to either buy it on the plane or take it aboard from the restaurants at the airport.

We have a 7.5 hr flight --eek! I know about no food and have planned for that. What I am concerned about is how often drinks are served?

Curious about the carry-on bag. Ours are about 1 inch too deep but much shorter in other dimensions. Wonder what triggered the issue?

Any comments on legroom?

Thanks.

We were on Icelandair in May, first on a flight from Amsterdam to Keflavik, and then days later on a Keflavik to Anchorage flight. On the flight from Amsterdam the Icelandair personnel were definitely enforcing the one carry-on rule with extra and also large carry-ons being checked (extra personnel were standing by the boarding podium to enforce their standards). Those passengers in Saga (first class) or their premium economy (which they were calling premium comfort) could take two carry-ons. I quite frankly wasn't paying attention regarding the carry-on issue on the flight to Anchorage as it didn't pertain to us, but there were definitely announcements regarding carry-on size.

We were in their premium economy/premium comfort on both legs and would definitely recommend it. While we thought that their price for first class was rather high, we found the premium economy to be very fairly priced. The photos of premium economy on the Icelandair website indicated economy seats with the middle seat kept empty and a little more leg room, but on both flights the premium economy seats were identical to those in Saga. While both Saga class and premium economy were not filled on either flight, it appeared that the coach cabin was totally full.

Icelandair has food available for purchase in economy. In Saga and premium economy food and alcohol are complementary. While we didn't have the same menu as Saga we had both hot and cold offerings, which ranged from entrees to snacks. And the service was very good. Also, a premium economy ticket includes access to their lounges, and the Saga Lounge at Keflavik was very nice.

Do you know if we need local currency for gas stations or can we use a credit card? We need to fill the rental car before we return it.

Thank you!

Credit Card (without chip/pin) works fine at most gas stations. N1 is the major brand in the country and they take regular credit cards, although you have to go inside and use it to buy what is basically a gas "gift card". Then you take the "gift card" out to the pump and use it. There are quite a few gas stations in the town of Reykjanesbaer, which is basically "across the street" from the airport.

We have a 7.5 hr flight --eek! I know about no food and have planned for that. What I am concerned about is how often drinks are served?

Curious about the carry-on bag. Ours are about 1 inch too deep but much shorter in other dimensions. Wonder what triggered the issue?

Drinks you can get pretty much any time you want. Water is very available on the flights as are sodas, etc.

Plenty of places in Iceland and Reykjavik to pick up snacks. Candy, chips, nuts, sandwiches, etc, so you don't have to worry about food on the plane. Airport also has grab and go options as well as all levels of dining options. The big Duty Free shop has some great prices on local chocolates and other gifts as well.

Credit Card (without chip/pin) works fine at most gas stations. N1 is the major brand in the country and they take regular credit cards, although you have to go inside and use it to buy what is basically a gas "gift card". Then you take the "gift card" out to the pump and use it. There are quite a few gas stations in the town of Reykjanesbaer, which is basically "across the street" from the airport.

Great information...thank you so much!

Someone suggested we look into whether I'll need an "AAA International Drivers License" to rent the car we plan to use to get around on a visit later this year.

I used to get them years ago but believe I remember I was never asked for it. As long as I have a valid one State issued (USA) I should be ok, right?

Someone suggested we look into whether I'll need an "AAA International Drivers License" to rent the car we plan to use to get around on a visit later this year.

I used to get them years ago but believe I remember I was never asked for it. As long as I have a valid one State issued (USA) I should be ok, right?

We rented a car in May 2014 and our American state drivers license didn't cause any problems.

We've rented twice with nothing but our US State issued license.

We also rented a car in May 2014 with nothing other than valid state-issued drivers licenses.

Do not, I repeat, DO NOT rely on Icelandair to provide you with any drinks.

I took the DEN-KEF flight last month and they had one drink service where I got 1/2 a glass of water. That was it for 6.5 hours.

Buy your food in the airport and by a 1.5L water bottle to carry on.

I flew Icelandair to Europe and Lufthansa back to the states. These flights absolutely proved that you get what you pay for.

The 6.5hour flight was miserable and had the most uncomfortable seats I've every sat in. The 11.5 hour Lufthansa flight was a dream and I could have easily flown for a few hours more.

bugeater had the worst experience I've heard of on Icelandair.

I've flown eight flights on them and there have always been multiple drink services, and you can always get extra drinks any time you want by a walk to the galley. They also have a huge selection of video on demand -- I think I've seen more movies on their planes than in the theaters over the past few years!

I've flown eight flights on them and there have always been multiple drink services, and you can always get extra drinks any time you want by a walk to the galley. They also have a huge selection of video on demand -- I think I've seen more movies on their planes than in the theaters over the past few years!

I will report back after our trip next month….

Do not, I repeat, DO NOT rely on Icelandair to provide you with any drinks.

I took the DEN-KEF flight last month and they had one drink service where I got 1/2 a glass of water. That was it for 6.5 hours.

Buy your food in the airport and by a 1.5L water bottle to carry on.

I flew Icelandair to Europe and Lufthansa back to the states. These flights absolutely proved that you get what you pay for.

The 6.5hour flight was miserable and had the most uncomfortable seats I've every sat in. The 11.5 hour Lufthansa flight was a dream and I could have easily flown for a few hours more.

The flight from YYZ to KEF is only @5 hours and doesn't depart til after 9pm, so if we have dinner at the airport, bring water aboard, we should survive any discomfort especially if we can fall asleep. Then we'll have 3 days to "recover" before the 3 hour flight to LGW. The return flight will be in two legs which should give us a chance to stretch our legs!

This is good news- have you flown Icelandair's Business Class? Pricing is only a few hundred more than UA's r/t economy to Europe.

Edited by TMLAalum

This is good news- have you flown Icelandair's Business Class? Pricing is only a few hundred more than UA's r/t economy to Europe.

Only coach for us. Got Exit row once, which was very nice, but we found the regular coach accommodations to be fine. And we are not tiny folks.