Oasis - Add a tip Game...

DnR

So we booked the Oasis for March (Western Itinerary) in a D2 ocean view balcony. We usually sail CCL so this will be a BIG change. I am also a "planner." I like to know what I am doing and where things are, tips, tricks, suggestions, etc.

So lets play a game. Add a tip, trick, packing list item, recommendation or suggestion to the list and lets see how long we can get it.

Ready....

GO!

So we booked the Oasis for March (Western Itinerary) in a D2 ocean view balcony. We usually sail CCL so this will be a BIG change. I am also a "planner." I like to know what I am doing and where things are, tips, tricks, suggestions, etc.

So lets play a game. Add a tip, trick, packing list item, recommendation or suggestion to the list and lets see how long we can get it.

Ready....

GO!

When you get closer to your cruise, look for the option to book entertainment - the water show, the ice show, the theater show, etc. They put this on your ship's card and you don't have to wait in line to get in.

There have been many many cruise/trip reports with many photos included here on these boards (not in the reviews section on CC). Not too hard to find them. Get ahold of a copy of the deck plans or print them out and just follow along with some of the wonderful people who have taken their time to post lengthy and some times extremely entertaining reviews.

I would also urge you to read the same for the Allure of the Seas - basically the same ship with only a few changes, i.e. shows and a couple of food options. A couple of examples are - you will (don't miss it) see Hairspray on Oasis, on Allure you would see Chicago and one of the free food venues on the Boardwalk (deck 6, aft) on Oasis is a donut shop vs. a dog house (think sausages) on Allure. I would also urge you to specifically search for a very comprehensive review of the Allure of the Seas by Gambee (he will crack you up), who does some great reviews; again, it was Allure, not Oasis, but these two ships are almost twins.

Enjoy your cruise on Oasis, she's a beauty!:)

DnR, I guess nobody wants to play along. For the record, I liked the idea you had......couldn't really think of anything to add myself at this time but was interested to see where this would go. Maybe it will still take off.

I also assume that since you are a planner you wouldn't rely on just this one thread for all of your information and will do some searches/read other threads. This thread would just be something fun for you and others of us to watch in case we miss something.

Having sailed a few cruise lines including CCL and RCCL, but admittedly not knowing your personal preferences, I think you will love RCCL and the Oasis :)

I like your thread also.

Do check other threads also because there is a lot of info to be found, but I hope that this one takes off.

I booked Oasis for September 2013.

When your sail date gets inside of 90 day, start checking to see if you can book your dinner reservations and shows because once they open for booking, they can fill up within 24-48 hours. If the time slot that you want is not available and you have call customer service, don't give up, keep checking because sometime they open up more slots.

I get it, because I am a planner too. Have fun planning, check boards for yours cruise date, your ports, your cabin info, your excursion info and anything else that you can think of. There is sooooooo much into available on CC.

If you haven't done this already, check the Roll Call threads for the RCL Meet &Mingle for your sailing. Chances are very good that someone on your sailing has already been on Oasis and can give you lots of direction. Enjoy your cruise!

Thanks to those willing to play...here's what we have so far:

1. Look for the option to book entertainment - the water show, the ice show, the theater show, etc. They put this on your ship's card and you don't have to wait in line to get in.

2. Search this forum

3. Get ahold of a copy of the deck plans or print them out and just follow along with some of the wonderful people who have taken their time to post lengthy and some times extremely entertaining reviews.

4. The Viking Crown Lounge has amazing ocean views. Be sure to check it out.

5. Check the Roll Call threads for the RCL Meet &Mingle for your sailing

Thanks to those willing to play...here's what we have so far:

1. Look for the option to book entertainment - the water show, the ice show, the theater show, etc. They put this on your ship's card and you don't have to wait in line to get in.

2. Search this forum

3. Get ahold of a copy of the deck plans or print them out and just follow along with some of the wonderful people who have taken their time to post lengthy and some times extremely entertaining reviews.

4. The Viking Crown Lounge has amazing ocean views. Be sure to check it out.

5. Check the Roll Call threads for the RCL Meet &Mingle for your sailing

Here is some info I've gathered for my upcoming Oasis Western itenerary. I'm a planner too and like to know what's included, what's "for fee", where things are ahead of time.... So take a look and maybe some of it will help. Happy cruising to you. And welcome to Royal!

Cruise List (MDR Menu).pdf

Cruise List (Schedule).pdf

Cruise List (Food and Shows).pdf

Thank you so much for these. I love the cruise list! :D

I plan on booking the Quantum for the 02/20/2015 cruise, one of those lists would be awesome to carry around. I wish I was that savvy to make one up.

Thanks again.

Having just completed our first RCI cruise (although Explorer not Oasis) check out alternative places to grab a snack or meal. On EoS we found the Cafe Promenade on the second to last day, thought it was just coffee but they had nice snacks which changed throughout the day. I'm sure Oasis has a comparable place. Dined at Johnny Rockets (for a fee) and had fun although too full!

Definitely second, printing out out the deck plans. Although we had the pocket map, deck plans are so much better.

In the MDR, ask for alternative sides if you don't like the ones that come with your meal.

The MDR, has a yogurt, fruit, and cereal bar for Breakfast. Nice to pick what you want while waiting for your meal.

The Solarium is lovely ... no kids and not at all like the adult area on some other lines. I thought it was for a fee upon seeing it ... that beautiful.

Be sure to remove your Do Not Disturb sign from the door if you want your room made up and use the Make Up Room sign (so they don't have to guess). We often went to breakfast but left the DND sign up intentionally knowing we were coming back.

The daily Compass has a perforation so you can just take one sheet with you.

A lot of the signature drinks include the glass and some are quite beautiful. The cordial glasses are like none I have ever seen.

If you need anything from your room steward just leave a note (we do this on all cruises) extra hangers, bucket of ice and extra glasses (they were not in the room), open the balcony door to our next door son's cabin (couldn't open these, it turned out), put beds together in son's room, etc. They are so kind and we tipped extra at the end although we were using prepaid gratuities and got envelopes at guest services.

I'm sure there's a lot more but I'll come back and check.... I'll learn too, for my next 2 RCI cruises.

Not the Oasis, but on the Allure they had Ladies night 2 for 1 drinks some nights, possibly they offer the same on the Oasis.

Also if you did not make reservations, don't sweat it. Odds are you will be able to get into the show if you get there 15 minutes before the shows starts.

For OCenaria, go to the secret decks balconies to watch the show from an entirely new perspective!

I love your thread too. Just got off oasis this morning. Definitely book shows in advance(make sure you arrive 20 mins before show time). Down load shipmate app(if you have smartphone ). This way you'll have deck maps directly with you at all times. Any specific questions just ask. Be prepared to have a great time.

Sherri,

Your cruise list is sush a good idea. I am going to steal it.

Going on my first cruise on enchantment but even though you think you will remember everything, I know I will not and having my daughter and her family there in another stateroom things will be more hectic.

So I welcome all tips and your way of keeping everything together is wonderful.

:)

We leave 2 weeks from today to go on Oasis! cannot wait! I made a spreadsheet for the week as there are 11 of us going. I marked down our MTD, show reservations, dinner type-formal or casual, tours we had booked etc. I also did LOTS of homework. there are plenty on here that have given the listings of venues and floors etc. I like your posting. Yes you could search the forums, but sometimes playing along is fun too!

Patti

you could use the search function....thus there would be no need for any further participation by anyone on Cruise critic. The folks that tell you to use the search function could set up a work schedule for themselves so they can monitor any potential question and reply...."use the search function."

Thus eliminating the need to ever use Cruise Critic again. Me? I prefer to welcome folks, answer those questions I can and read the thread, because despite a ton of cruises, I seem to learn something new....every day.

I would recommmend: chat up one of the Cruise Director Staff..ask them what they love to do on each of the island stops.

Doing that found us one of the truly great places to have lunch on Roatan. Every time we are back to Roatan, that is where we grab a BITE ON THE BEACH.

If you are curious about BITE ON THE BEACH...use the search function ;)

I booked 4 D's for our family and did not check to see which ones had the beds by the balconies. There were lots of posts about this but I didn't think it would make that much of a difference. It does! Our bed was by the closet ... it is an awkward layout.

Hi DnR

We were on the Oasis the first week in June (eastern)

We went to what I and many others like to call the secret balcony on deck 11 to watch the aqua theater shows.

If your on the Eastern schedule I would recommend Bernard's tour number 2 in St. Maarten. For 42pp we saw both the Dutch and French side of the island with many short stops and two longer stops at Orient and Maho beach. The vans are clean and the tour guide did an excellent job.

In Nassau we did the Blue Lagoon beach break. We walked behind the restaurant and nobody was on that side of the beach besides the life guard. We brought with our own snorkel gear and we had a fabulous time.

If you are going on the western schedule in Haiti make sure you wear your water shoes lots of rocks and such.

Again with the western schedule in Grand Cayman the sting ray swim was a great adventure.

In the main dining room we enjoyed every meal but our favorite was the prime rib. My husband really liked the blueberry peach crumple on the first night.

The formal nights are the 2nd and 5th night with lobster being served on night 5.

If one person in your party is getting the alcohol package then other adults in room would have to get it too.

You can bring two bottles of wine per stateroom in your carry on bag.

Loved the roast beef sandwiches in Park Cafe and the shrimp in Solarium Bistro.

I can't remember what deck I think deck 14 you can slip out to the front of the ship. Yes, I know that I'm not using the correct term. Anyway, you go one flight down from the solarium! go down the cabin hallway and a door will lead you to the outside with very few people out there.

Have fun

I found that the best time to ride the flow rider was right when it opened. I was able to get on 6 times in 30 minutes vs. 1 time per 30 minutes on sea days.

How do we get to the secret balcony on deck 11?

On Deck 11 and 12 there are 2 public balconies with chairs and loungers that few people seem to know about. Walk all the way aft and there is a door at the end of the hallway. Great spot for sail away, Aqua Theatre shows, and to watch the latecomers run for their lives in port!

Deck 14 all the way forward has another deck, but it was always crazy windy out there.

Have a great vacation! She's a beautiful ship!

On Deck 11 and 12 there are 2 public balconies with chairs and loungers that few people seem to know about. Walk all the way aft and there is a door at the end of the hallway. Great spot for sail away, Aqua Theatre shows, and to watch the latecomers run for their lives in port!

Deck 14 all the way forward has another deck, but it was always crazy windy out there.

Have a great vacation! She's a beautiful ship!

Deck 14 also has the aft public balconies. Deck 14 forward area is only accessible via the port side passenger corridor.

What is the shipmate app? I have an Android phone.

Basebare, we'll be on the same cruise!

It's an app for your phone that lets you count down to your cruise. Once you set your cruise up, then it give you access to deck plans, chat, message boards etc.

Archived