Cruising Alaska must haves?

Xcitdcruiser

I am wanting to organize a little 'care package' for a friend's first cruise in Alaska.

I haven't cruised before nor been to Alaska, so was hoping for some ( inexpensive ) suggestions .

So far I have :

Luggage tags

Magazines

Sea sick tablets

Poncho ( I've heard it rains on & off!?)

Travel journal

Many thanks in advance!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Poncho ( I've heard it rains on & off!?)

I've never been to Alaska, our cruise leaves in one week. I have read a gazillion posts. Several have said you don't want a poncho, as the wind can catch it and blow it all around, making it less than useless. Just buy some inexpensive rain gear (pants & shirt). $20 in any outdoors store.

what a nice gesture. I would get her a highlighter for the dailys, a pair of the cheaper lightweight gloves/stocking hat and a scarf for glacier day or just being on the deck at night. travel Kleenex, hand sanitizer and such. Alaska is much more relaxed for the dress code and turtlenecks are great for layering. have fun with your hunt for things for her.

what a nice gesture. I would get her a highlighter for the dailys, a pair of the cheaper lightweight gloves/stocking hat and a scarf for glacier day or just being on the deck at night. travel Kleenex, hand sanitizer and such. Alaska is much more relaxed for the dress code and turtlenecks are great for layering. have fun with your hunt for things for her.

Thanks for your suggestions. Making my 1st trip to Alaska in 41 days. A last minute trip.

I am wanting to organize a little 'care package' for a friend's first cruise in Alaska.

I haven't cruised before nor been to Alaska, so was hoping for some ( inexpensive ) suggestions .

Or how about some freebies -

I would suggest ordering the Alaska Vacation Guide to include in your 'care package'

from

http://www.travelalaska.com/

Click link at bottom left "Order a Copy"

Also order and include a guide for each port they will be visiting.

For example, links to guides for a few of the most popular ports

Ketchikan Alaska Free Area Travel Guide

Juneau, Alaska -- Travel Information

Click "Order A Guide" (at top)

Skagway, Alaska - contact us

I have spent a great deal of time in Alaska and other far northern places. I wouldn't go in that direction without some very good anti-dry skin cream or lotion.

Gold Bond makes some fine products but there are many other choices.

I had an inexpensive "rain resistant" jacket with a hood that kept me pretty dry on a pretty rainy week in Alaska. Don't buy really expensive gear and you might just find something in Alaska at one of the ports.

I enjoyed being outside for most of Glacier Bay day so bring a hat and gloves. Long underwear is silly unless you have a medical problem. I did have a pair of smart wool socks that were helpful. Layer, layer.

Several have said you don't want a poncho, as the wind can catch it and blow it all around, making it less than useless. Just buy some inexpensive rain gear (pants & shirt). $20 in any outdoors store.

I live in Alaska, and agree with astrohip. Rain ponchos are generally useless in southeast Alaska.

i have a lightweight nylon rain jacket with a hood that can be brought down from the collar that I take. I also use it for my coat with a sweatshirt under it for colder deck days/nights and being in the glacier. I find I don't need a lot of extra chothing in alaksa. sweatshirts and sweaters can cover up the same top for a couple of days. also my jeans and pants don't get dirty so I wear them at least twice also. no-one notices or remembers what you had on.

Hi, Best thing I had was 'The Alaska Cruise Handbook', by Joe Upton. Excellent first hand experiences and stunning Pictures and Huge Map was THE hot item aboard our Holland-America cruise. They sold dozens of them every day. It's Map of the Inside Passage to Alaska alone was worth the cost. That booknand 4 rechargeable Camera batteries w/Charger, binoculars and Polarized Sunglasses?? Locomotiveman Tom

Maybe stamps so she can mail postcards, I bought myslef a roll of packing tape at the dollar store so I can keep it in my purse and adhere printed out luggage tags to my soda, water case. Another option is to buy her something from the boat, like a drink card, or OBC. PS if you want I can send you my address too as we leave in four weeks too. ;)

I agree with the above posts that a raincoat with a hood is better than a poncho, especially a raincoat that looks like a regular jacket and can be over any tops. I don't think a poncho is enough to keep you dry and warm at the same time. We got a free poncho from the Red Dog Saloon in Juneau one year using the coupon from the coupon book that we got at the embarkation port. Tell your friend to look for these coupon books. They don't have as many good 'giveaway' coupons as before but still worth a look.

Hand Warmers

in 2009 we brought a single pack of hand warmers (for outside glacier viewing)

My husband and I fought over them like cats and dogs :D In addition, I had people coming up to me asking if I had more (or if I'd bought them on the ship). We actually went to a hardware store to pick up more before our next pass at the glacier.

you can add travel size shampoo, conditioner, deodorant, mouthwash, travel toothbrush, toothpaste, memory cards for camera, snacks for plane ride, travel pillow, motion sickness wrist bands, disposable waterproof camera, warm socks, ear plugs in case the room is noisy, travel first aid kit, small bottle of air freshener.

We just got back from our trip and a lifesaver for us was an outlet strip for the room on the ship. There were only two outlets in the room and the strip came in useful everynight when we were charging phones, camera batteries, and using hair dryer, curling iron, etc. I take one on every cruise that we go on.

Archived