Just off Jewel of the Seas

Thanks so much for this.

I am looking ahead... WAY ahead... Thinking of doing the Southern 7 Days cruise out of SJ

February 2015.

We just got off Freedom, and I have done 6 other RC cruises.

We aren't into small quiet ships, but I looove these itineraries.

Was gonna plan a B2B for my family.

I'm wondering if there is a drydock plan for the ship in the coming year

and if you thought after having done Freedom and Oasis if this ship is just to small and "quiet" for a busy family with kids who would be 13.5 and 10 at the time??

I know Freedom was "Oasisized" and wondered if anyone knew if that was the plan for all ships.

Thanks everyone I appreciate your time and expertise.

Chass

Thanks so much for this.

I am looking ahead... WAY ahead... Thinking of doing the Southern 7 Days cruise out of SJ

February 2015.

We just got off Freedom, and I have done 6 other RC cruises.

We aren't into small quiet ships, but I looove these itineraries.

Was gonna plan a B2B for my family.

I'm wondering if there is a drydock plan for the ship in the coming year

and if you thought after having done Freedom and Oasis if this ship is just to small and "quiet" for a busy family with kids who would be 13.5 and 10 at the time??

I know Freedom was "Oasisized" and wondered if anyone knew if that was the plan for all ships.

Thanks everyone I appreciate your time and expertise.

Chass

I haven't read all of the responses following your initial post, so hopefully you didn't already answer this. Hubby and I are vacillating between Navigator and Jewel, with the Jewel being our preference. I'd like to know whether you went into San Juan a day early; if so, where did you stay? Also did you cab it to the Port or take a shuttle?

Going on the Jewel this November (1st time with RCCL), a couple of questions:

What time were the cabins ready on embarkation day?

How early were you off the ship on debarkation day?

Is the MDR open for lunch on Embarkation day and/or any other days for lunch?

Thanks in advance!

We've cruised from SJU 4 times, rooms were always open at 1:00PM.

I don't think MDR is open the first day, I think it is all other days.

We always stay in SJU a couple nights after the cruise so we haven't paid much attention to how early you can get off.

Can you tell me if they serve crepes at the solarium or seaview cafe? Thanks so much! We are leaving in a week and a half!

The food in the Solarium is limited; we saw pizza slices and hamburgers, not much else. It's really just for a quick snack. Did not see crepes at the Seaview Café, but the Reuben sandwich is delicious! :)

The food in the Solarium is limited; we saw pizza slices and hamburgers, not much else. It's really just for a quick snack. Did not see crepes at the Seaview Café, but the Reuben sandwich is delicious! :)

There used to be delicious crepes in the Solarium Cafe. I hope they still have them! They were wonderful after a tour int he afternoon.:)

Thinking of doing this cruise with the same itinerary next summer. Cruised the Serenade out of San Juan a few years ago but a different itinerary. It is either this or the Allure. We are trying to decide whether to make the ship the destination (Allure) or the ports (Jewel). We had a great time on the Serenade and we haven't been to many of these ports so we are probably leaning this way. I did want a bit more of a relaxing cruise and with these ports we will be go,go,go all the time. I guess that's not a bad problem.

I believe the Jewel is the last ship in the fleet to be refurbished, due in 2016. Not sure why this is so but it should still be in great shape!

I wonder whether the Seaview Cafe' is the equivalent of the Park Cafe' on other ships? Park Cafe' serves some of the best salads/sandwiches I've had to date!

I wonder whether the Seaview Cafe' is the equivalent of the Park Cafe' on other ships? Park Cafe' serves some of the best salads/sandwiches I've had to date!

Seaview is much different than Park Cafe. Seaview food is made to order, some deep fried options you won't find at Park Cafe. Park Cafe has pre-made sandwich choices, roast beef sandwiches that are made to order, salads that are made to order, fruit cups, etc. Park Cafe is open for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and late night snacks. I don't believe Seaview is open for breakfast

Edited by clarea

Aggie (or anybody who's recently cruised Jewel),

Does Jewel have the flat-screened tvs, or those giant, obnoxious CRT-looking ones? Hope that I won't have to wait for 2016 drydock for a modern television set (not that anyone spends a whole lot of time in the cabin...)!

We cruised on the Jewel August 24 - 31 and our cabin had a flat screen TV. We were in a balcony cabin on deck 8. We did meet a couple who were complaining about the old style TV in their cabin so there must be inconsistency and a mix of both types of TV's on board.

There used to be delicious crepes in the Solarium Cafe. I hope they still have them! They were wonderful after a tour int he afternoon.:)

They discontinued making and serving crepes in the Jewel's Solarium several years ago, much to my dismay. Jewel isn't due to be revitalized until 2016 so enjoy the Seaview Cafe until then. On Brilliance that space became Izumi, but on a positive note, the Park Cafe replaced the Solarium Cafe and offers great roast beef on wek sandwiches and a variety of breakfast options.:)

MDR is only open for lunch on sea days and is closed until dinner time when the ship is in port.

Edited by negc

They discontinued making and serving crepes in the Jewel's Solarium several years ago, much to my dismay. Jewel isn't due to be revitalized until 2016 so enjoy the Seaview Cafe until then. On Brilliance that space became Izumi, but on a positive note, the Park Cafe replaced the Solarium Cafe and offers great roast beef on wek sandwiches and a variety of breakfast options.:)

MDR is only open for lunch on sea days and is closed until dinner time when the ship is in port.

Well, that's a disappointment.:(

Hi everyone,

Taking the Jewel out of San Juan week of Thanksgiving :) and just wondering how the self disembarking is handled on this ship and port.

Do I need to fill out a form to request it or just do it by not putting my luggage out the night before? What obstacles will I have to traverse with family to get off the ship carrying my own luggage at san Juan?

Thanks in advance....

Hi everyone,

Taking the Jewel out of San Juan week of Thanksgiving :) and just wondering how the self disembarking is handled on this ship and port.

Do I need to fill out a form to request it or just do it by not putting my luggage out the night before? What obstacles will I have to traverse with family to get off the ship carrying my own luggage at san Juan?

Thanks in advance....

This can vary ship to ship. You will get a letter in your stateroom with the disembarkation details. If you want, you can visit Guest Services earlier in the cruise and ask them.

Aggie and Card

thanks for your thread and comments. I'm going in January and nice to see the answers.

has anyone been in the gym? wondering how the equipment is. nothing better than walking on a treadmill and looking at an island or the ocean. Just can't get that view at home.

going to take your excursion ideas and research. taking my niece and nephew so they might love the catamaran.

michelle