Connection time Raleigh/Washington DC/Rome

Lmack

We booked Choice Air from Raleigh, NC to Rome with a connection in Washington, DC on United Airlines. Having never flown into DC, how much time do you think we need once we get into DC to make our Rome connection. Both legs are on United. Thanks?

I would allow at least 2 hours...3 if you don't want to stress as much. It can be done in less, but if you miss your flight, your odds of getting out on another flight that night are small. Delays do tend to add up as the day goes along.

Which DC airport? Is it the same airline? Same terminal?

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We're flying from Raleigh to Rome with a connection in Washington, DC. Below is the schedule booked through Choice Air:

Depart: 2:17 p.m. Wed., Nov. 13, 2013. Raleigh/Durham, NC (RDU)

Arrive: 3:26 p.m. Wed., Nov. 13, 2013. Washington, DC (IAD - Dulles)

Flight: UA4880

Operated by REPUBLIC AIRLINES DBA UNITED EXPRESS.

Aircraft: Bombardier Q400

Depart: 5:00 p.m. Wed., Nov. 13, 2013. Washington, DC (IAD - Dulles)

Arrive: 7:45 a.m. +1 Day. Thu., Nov. 14, 2013. Rome, Italy (FCO)

Flight: UA42

Aircraft: Boeing 767-400ER

The flights are all supposed to be United Airlines but I can't tell what terminal we arrive in our depart. It looks like we only have 1hr 30 min in DC from arrival to departure time. I was concerned when we booked it but they said there wouldn't be a problem. Thanks for any advice you can give me. I do know there's an earlier flight from Raleigh that would make me feel better. Don't know if Choice Air can switch us to the earlier Raleigh flight without any additional charges.

I doubt they'll switch you since you're over Minimum Connection Time. You'll probably be fine with 1.5 hours unless there is a big delay. I just personally prefer longer connections before international flights as I find it more relaxing

Probably make it if you can walk quickly and if you don't have to deal with luggage. It is possible that you will need to use the portable lounges and some think it is faster to walk. They do start to board about 45 mins early so I would go as quickly as you can. Worth a try to try the change of flights but if you move your bones will probably make it.

Me I would rent a car one way and drive to IAD especially the night before. Takes 3.5 hours. depending on where in the Raleigh area. (My kids lived in Clayton for 15 years so I have been down that road often)

Have a great time in Italy. Fabulous place to visit.

Well, the good news is that as international airports go, Dulles is nothing the size of Heathrow, O'Hare, or Atlanta. You will likely fly into one of the midfield terminals and fly out of one (either C or D). As long as your bags are checked through (you won't have to reclaim them), that you don't have to go through security in the main terminal, and your plane from Raleigh is not late, you should have plenty of time.

This is one of those that if you asked before you booked the flight I would have recommended getting a flight with a longer layover. In the end it all comes down to how much stress you want to deal with. I don't like stress so I prefer a much longer time. You could check with the airline to see if there would be a fee to change the first flight. You lose nothing by calling them.

Keith

If you drive and do not fly the first leg of your flights it is highly likely that all the rest of your flights will be cancelled.

You will do all your checking in at RDU. All the passport and boarding pass stuff so allow plenty of time for that.

I follow Keith1010 on the idea of telephoning Choice Air/United and nicely discussing the earlier flight on the grounds that you don't want to start the trip with stress. That change would make your trip more enjoyable.

I agree that sweetness just might work. If you are a United loyalty club member I would certainly go through that desk for members. If not a member it is free to join and they might be able to deal for you. This is the main reason that I just don't give up control of my flight times to Choice Air.

The time I spend looking at all sorts of flights that can ADD to my trip and not make it harder is well spent.

Thanks to those who caught that I forgot to advise that you must cancel that first flight or yes all the flights could be cancelled as a no show.

Good luck and next time maybe choose your own flights with help from folks here. This will probably work and being Nov. maybe not so risky for the afternoon delays for big thunders!!

If you drive and do not fly the first leg of your flights it is highly likely that all the rest of your flights will be cancelled.

You will do all your checking in at RDU. All the passport and boarding pass stuff so allow plenty of time for that.

I follow Keith1010 on the idea of telephoning Choice Air/United and nicely discussing the earlier flight on the grounds that you don't want to start the trip with stress. That change would make your trip more enjoyable.

When I booked these flights in Feb with Choice Air, this option for flights was the best $ and schedule. Booking airlines directly 4-5 times higher, and unfortunately we don't fly enough to have air miles, etc.

I did call Choice Air today and spoke very nicely to the rep. Bottom line if I change the first flight there's a fee and cost of flight was quite high. If I call from the airport, then they can do something without charging a change fee. But if I call from home, then there is.

So our game plan is to get to the airport super early (family member was going to drop us off on their way to work so we had already planned to get there 6 hrs early.). At that time we should know about any weather conditions and any possible delays. I could then call Choice Air and see what they say and can do.

Thanks for all your advice and help. Keep them coming!

I did call Choice Air today and spoke very nicely to the rep. Bottom line if I change the first flight there's a fee and cost of flight was quite high. If I call from the airport, then they can do something without charging a change fee. But if I call from home, then there is.

So our game plan is to get to the airport super early (family member was going to drop us off on their way to work so we had already planned to get there 6 hrs early.). At that time we should know about any weather conditions and any possible delays. I could then call Choice Air and see what they say and can do.

Just my two kopeks worth....

I would be HIGHLY skeptical of being able to make changes on the day of flight without a change fee. And Choice Air would be able to know if you were calling from the airport, rather than calling from your home??

IMO, the agent gave you the real scoop with the change fee information. And when you pressed for other options, he made up the "call from the airport" deal. Or he presented it as "if the flight is cancelled at the airport, call us" and you have taken your hopes and redrafted what he actually said. Remember, there are terms of art in airline travel, and what you think you heard might not be what he actually told you.

Then again, you may have gotten a truthful answer....that you can change on the day of departure from the airport at no charge. But I wouldn't bet those two kopeks on it.

I think you'll be fine. You won't have customs, bag check, or security, and your earlier flight is a short one, so even a small delay shouldn't affect you making it. You're also dealing with the same airline in a reasonably sized airport.

Unless you have mobility issues or there is a MAJOR delay (in the case of the former, get assistance- in the case of the latter, you'll catch another flight, a perk of cruise air), you'll make it, and you won't have to spend 30 hours traveling like someone with a long layover would.

I think you'll be fine. You won't have customs, bag check, or security, and your earlier flight is a short one, so even a small delay shouldn't affect you making it. You're also dealing with the same airline in a reasonably sized airport.

Unless you have mobility issues or there is a MAJOR delay (in the case of the former, get assistance- in the case of the latter, you'll catch another flight, a perk of cruise air), you'll make it, and you won't have to spend 30 hours traveling like someone with a long layover would.

Thanks for your comments. I did check flightstat yesterday just to get an idea of how the flights on time performance did even though our flights are months away and of course weather may be a factor. Unfortunately our flight number from Raleigh to DC didn't show up. I was trying to get a feel for the terminal it would get into DC and our departure terminal, in addition to its on time performance. I'll continue checking as it gets closer to our departure date. I know it's still too early but I'm long range planner. Thanks again!

IAD is a poorly designed airport. You are coming in on a small plane which will land at A and the big jumbo jets go out C. You will need to take either a shuttle or aerotrain and then a significant walk. There is no real express service between those two concourses.

Since you are flying UAL you don't need to just show up at the airport if you want to standby for an earlier flight. Log into the UA website on day of departure and do online checkin. One of the options is look for earlier flights. It will then show you what is available and you can generally move flights on day of departure for $75. You are traveling on a non peak day (Wednesday) so your likelihood of getting on an earlier flight is quite good. You may be seated apart on the RDU-IAD segment but totally worth the peace of mind.

IAD is a decent airport and if you decide to go to the airport early you might want to buy a United Club pass off of ebay for less the $20. It will give you a place to chill and relax with free beverages and snacks prior to your Rome departure.

How close is Charlotte to Raleigh? I ask because when I fly overseas on US Air, they always route me through Charlotte. I envy those who live close enough to get a direct flight. Have you looked into it before?

about a 3 hour drive

There is another component to your flights that you should be aware of. Between now and your scheduled departure there might be schedule changes. If there is a change that would affect your connection time you can handle this with United.

It is always wise to monitor your flights from time to time.

How close is Charlotte to Raleigh? I ask because when I fly overseas on US Air, they always route me through Charlotte. I envy those who live close enough to get a direct flight. Have you looked into it before?

We're actually much closer to Charlotte than Raleigh but when we're going to be gone for an extended period of time, we fly from Raleigh because we can leave our car with our kids who live in Raleigh, and don't have an enormous parking fee. On this trip we'll be gone for almost 6 wks. Also fares for some reason seem to be higher flying from Charlotte than Raleigh.

There is another component to your flights that you should be aware of. Between now and your scheduled departure there might be schedule changes. If there is a change that would affect your connection time you can handle this with United.

It is always wise to monitor your flights from time to time.

I've learned my lesson to periodically check flights from a very bad experience with US Air earlier this yr out of Charlotte. They completely changed our flights without notifying us even though they had two email addresses for us. When I tried to check-in for our flight a little less than 24 hrs the day before, it wouldn't let me check-in. I called US Air and ended up getting transferred to 4 agents because they were having problems with our reservations even though we booked directly with US Air. Long story short they had changed our flight for an evening flight and we would miss our connecting flight, not arriving at our final destination until the day after our scheduled arrival. We were meeting other folks on the connecting flight and they would have been stranded at our final destination because DH was the driver of the rental car. It was a complete nightmare getting the situation taken care of. So now I go the other extreme and sometimes check our booked flights a couple of times a day.

Archived