Thanksgiving on a Ship?

KillaFee

Hi Everyone!

We just booked the Carnival Splendor for the Thanksgiving cruise out of NYC and are curious if they typically do anything special for the holiday? Do they serve the full on Thanksgiving dinner?

Any input would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Laura

Hi Everyone!

We just booked the Carnival Splendor for the Thanksgiving cruise out of NYC and are curious if they typically do anything special for the holiday? Do they serve the full on Thanksgiving dinner?

Thanks!

Laura

Sailed during a couple of Thanksgivings. They serve a turkey dinner (slices) but I can't tell you much about it as I never order it (hate turkey) and am pleased as punch to be on ship where I don't have to cook or eat it :D.

Hi Everyone!

Thanks!

Laura

They offered turkey that night, aside from that nothing special.

Couple years back we went on the Spirit over Thanksgiving. The menu in the MDR seemed to be the regular menu that includes turkey.

On the Lido they were carving whole turkeys, so you actually could get dark meat. Most of the meal was very good. The only misses were the walnut balls in the soup and the pumpkin desserts.

Yes they serve the processed turkey, and avoid that spa pumpkin pie, it's nasty! I think we'll dine in the steak house that night as well. We'll be on a 15-day cruise to Hawaii, so we're hoping not many children will be on board.

Just a word to the wise, Thanksgiving week cruises are very popular with families. Which means potentially hundreds of children on the cruise.

I did a Thanksgiving cruise on the Carnival Dream. It was a MAD MAD house. Lots of children out of control. First cruise I spent quite some time in my cabin.

Hi Everyone!

Thanks!

Laura

Several years ago my family of 4, (me, husband and 2 girls (who were then elementary age)), cruised over Thanksgiving with my in-laws. We all always ate in the main dining room, and were seated with one other couple (strangers). We're a pretty outgoing, fun, good conversation makers group, and had enjoyable meal times with this other couple - Until Thanksgiving evening, that is. The wife was missing being with her young adult children that were at home and she was downright depressed, teary eyed - very gloomy and really brought the mood of the table down. I still recall arriving at the table all cheery, my girls dressed in pretty dresses for the occasion and expressing Happy Thanksgiving to everyone. Then I caught my MIL's eye and she kind of shook her head No, as in tone it down a little, and explained that the other lady was badly missing the company of her kids. We, of course, expressed our empathy for her, but what can one really say, I mean you knew of the holiday when you booked the trip - I guess she really didn't expect to feel so emotional about it.

I'm sure it didn't help that we were a family of 6 traveling together making her miss her own family gathering even more, but she didn't even try to fake being "holiday happy" for the others immediately around her. I really wish they had dined elsewhere that night and spared us the gloom!

So I hope you're a big enough group for your own table so you're not subjected to someone elses holiday funk!

As others have noted, a turkey dinner as an option in the MDR and that was about it.

And yeah, lots and lots and lots of kids. We don't cruise over Thanksgiving and Christmas. We're more than happy to let the families have the ships over the holidays. ;)

OP - the "turkey dinner" served in the MDR for Thanksgiving was not in any way the traditional meal I think you are expecting. When we sailed on the Splendor in 2008 was:

Farfalle with Roast Turkey Breast and Green Peas

Italian bow-tie pasta with cream sauce (also available as a starter)

We very much enjoy our cruise over the Thanksgiving holiday. But the "Thanksgiving meal" was disappopinting. :o

Here is a photo from zydecocruiser's page:

P1110993.jpg.aa6ecb36cdc01d77a9a398d52b3775c2.jpg

Was a lot of fun!

It was the whole week, Sunday to Sunday. They were putting up the Christmas tree and decorations that week so it was beautiful!

On Thanksgiving, they had a man dressed as a Turkey and a man dressed as a Chef with BIG fake carving kit dashing all over the ship. You'd be in the buffet for breakfast, here comes the turkey, a few minutes later the chef. Bingo - turkey, then chef. At the pool, turkey, chef. Dance class...etc....it was so funny.

I don't especially remember dinner so it must have been good. (I'm more apt to remember a disappointment or an especially outstanding experience) You'll probably have a great time on any ship you choose.

With only having to take 3 vacation days during Thanksgiving week AND the kids being out of school, it's a no-brainer - cruise time! Someday we'll be able to have a bigger choice when we cruise, and we'll be able to cruise during a time when the exact same cruise costs less, but for now, we're one big happy family. We tried the turkey and pumpkin pie last year, just for the sake of it. But you can always count on being able to order something else. LOL

We enjoyed the Lido buffet on the Fascination at Thanksgiving. They were carving turkeys, also serving all the traditional sides. The next day was the big Black Friday sales in all the shops and the crew was busy putting out Christmas decorations. We thought it was a wonderful way to spend our holiday with our family and no one had to cook or clean. As for the kids, yes we brought ours and they had a brilliant time. Not sure why there are so many posters whining about children on board. You'll have an amazing time!

475255262_turkeyday11.jpg.0013f2b68aba0394557d7342640a96b7.jpg

Thanks for all of the replies and photos!! I'm a vegetarian, so I'm not counting on the turkey....I do love the sides though! We were just curious what to expect.

I definitely DO expect lots of families, which I'd normally not be thrilled over since we're just going as a couple, but we're going to an adults only all inclusive for our anniversary two months before this cruise. :D

This is just a bonus - we absolutely couldn't pass up the price. 8 days for under $400 pp was a no brainer for us! I can't wait! It's my understanding that the aft deck is adults only so I'd imagine we'll be spending plenty of time back there.

Thanks again for the info!!!! I'm hoping we get a huge inflatable turkey on our ship. :p

Laura

We spent the last two Thanksgivings on a cruise and had a wonderful time! Check out my reviews (links in my signature) with pics. I didn't feel like the ships were running rampant with kids, but maybe I was just relaxed and on vacation-mode.

Hope you have a great cruise!

We spent the last two Thanksgivings on a cruise and had a wonderful time! Check out my reviews (links in my signature) with pics. I didn't feel like the ships were running rampant with kids, but maybe I was just relaxed and on vacation-mode.

Thanks for the great review!!!!

Laura

Us either....in fact we were shocked when on the last night they announced that Camp Carnival had entertained like 900 kids! :eek: We would NEVER have guessed that there we that many on board....

My first Thanksgiving cruise was the Spirit 9 day to Mexico. Not many kids.

Second TG cruise was the Magic and it was overrun with kids being strictly TG week. aaaahhhh

I did book Allure for TG 2014. My boss prefers I do TG rather than some other random fall week like I am this year. Hopefully it won't be as bad as the Magic.

I would order something else. the turkey was pressed in slices, not like a real turkey. I thought it wasnt very good.

If you just feel you need to eat turkey to be happy they have it.

Agree .... The turkey Thanksgiving Dinner on Fantasy in the MDR was really AWFUL :eek: ... pressed turkey slices rolled up with watery mashed potatoes in the middle and some sort of tasteless gravy on top.

Order something ELSE! Anything else will be better .... ;)

Fantasy does not have a Steakhouse so, unfortunately, that's not an option. :(

LuLu

~~~~

We have sailed the past few years over Thanksgiving and did not encounter too many kids. The cruises have all be 9 or 10 days so could not miss that many days of school. You will have a great time as you will not have to cook or even clean up after dinner. I could not say how the turkey dinner was because I do not like turkey at all.

Enjoy your cruise.

Archived