OnLine Booking Agencies

Sea Belle

I know I can't mention names but there are some really good offers from an agency that advertises on CC. Does anyone have any experience doing this? I have always used a HAL PCC but am really tempted to switch this time. :rolleyes:

We always use an agency. We've gotten cheaper rates or perks each time. Not sure which agency you're referring to but I started out using them online and now I have an agent thru them that I always use. Until they can no longer incentives of some sort we'll keep on using them. Always had good luck.

We always use an agency. We've gotten cheaper rates or perks each time. Not sure which agency you're referring to but I started out using them online and now I have an agent thru them that I always use. Until they can no longer incentives of some sort we'll keep on using them. Always had good luck.

One of my concerns is if they are good about price changes after final payment and offers of up sales. I usually book guaranteed and have never been without an upgrade or offer of up sale. Also I always get HAL's Platinum Ins. but now have the choice of that or one offered by the TA's agency. Any experience with that choice?

Same here. We enjoy discounts of 8-12 percent in the form of OBC's.

We know what we want so a TA is not really adding value.

On one cruise we got an upgrade an some additional OBC dollars because the agency had already had a group booked so we just piggy backed on that group.

Just make sure you deal with an agency that provides free re-pricing (in the event of a price decrease) and does not levy cancellation charges (other than the cruise line charges).

As always, never deal in cash and never deal with an agency that charges your card...it must be the cruise line that charges the card. No experience with upsells or insurance.

I'm a strong supporter of booking with an Internet based TA. I've used three different ones, some who advertise or have advertised here, since 2004 and had great service and discounts ranging from 10 to 12%. When you're booking higher categories that can add up to a nice chunk of change. :)

We have booked through HAL directly as well as a couple different online agencies and I find there is a savings to booking with the agency. I think as long as you as smart about which agency you book through (some that have been around for a while) you should be fine and may get additional savings as well as OBC or perks. We have had OBV and specialty restaurant lunches/dinners included which is a nice bonus.

One of my concerns is if they are good about price changes after final payment and offers of up sales. I usually book guaranteed and have never been without an upgrade or offer of up sale. Also I always get HAL's Platinum Ins. but now have the choice of that or one offered by the TA's agency. Any experience with that choice?

I used a popular on line agency for a few cruises - what I found out is that they either (a) don't get upsell offers or (b) don't bother with them.

Imagine my chagrin when someone got the upsell I kind of thought I might be interested in (at the very least, I would have liked the offer) and literally paid a few more $$ than I. that's when the light came on.

My TA can't offer me the obc they can - but she gives me SERVICE and does take something off either in the way of an obc or discount. I think now obc is the rule of the day?

IN any case, my last cruise was an important one and she was absolutely STELLAR. Now, if you don't need anything, don't expect upgrades, upsells, whatever. Don't worry about making sure that things are right when you get there - I guess you can go with the alternative. I know I can save more money elsewhere - but service is worth a LOT. We all have to find what's important to us.

It's a pleasure for me to have this knowledgeable TA and as much as I thought I knew about cruising - she has certainly taught me a few things;)

By the way, she's not a 'bricks and mortar' TA as she is many miles away from me;)

I used a popular on line agency for a few cruises - what I found out is that they either (a) don't get upsell offers or (b) don't bother with them.

Imagine my chagrin when someone got the upsell I kind of thought I might be interested in (at the very least, I would have liked the offer) and literally paid a few more $$ than I. that's when the light came on.

My TA can't offer me the obc they can - but she gives me SERVICE and does take something off either in the way of an obc or discount. I think now obc is the rule of the day?

IN any case, my last cruise was an important one and she was absolutely STELLAR. Now, if you don't need anything, don't expect upgrades, upsells, whatever. Don't worry about making sure that things are right when you get there - I guess you can go with the alternative. I know I can save more money elsewhere - but service is worth a LOT. We all have to find what's important to us.

It's a pleasure for me to have this knowledgeable TA and as much as I thought I knew about cruising - she has certainly taught me a few things;)

By the way, she's not a 'bricks and mortar' TA as she is many miles away from me;)

I have used the same on line agency many times, I used HALs PCC once!

no problem with that, but I get much more value using the on line agency

and there are perks involved, sometimes little surprises in our cabin, sometimes a free tour, wine, hor de ouvers , etc!! and once lunch at the PG! and often OBC or reduced deposits! this last cruise (June 23, 2013) we were upgraded to a wonderful location, there were 3 couples in our group, and we all got the upgrade, and conveniently located next to each other,

one couple had booked guarantee, the other 2 couples had chosen their stateroom, but all the same category!! (We all used the same on line agency) I will continue to book through my favorite on line agency!! they also guarantee that they will match any price!! I have booked many cruises with them since 2007!

I'm a strong supporter of booking with an Internet based TA. I've used three different ones, some who advertise or have advertised here, since 2004 and had great service and discounts ranging from 10 to 12%. When you're booking higher categories that can add up to a nice chunk of change. :)

Like Randy & some others we also use an Internet Agency, but I can also call & speak directly to my Agent..Have never been disappointed & on our last cruise of 68 days saved over $4900 just on the fare alone..Also saved on Insurance & received nice OBC's & extra's from HAL..

Have been using on-line Agents since 2006 after we booked a cruise to the Amazon directly with HAL...I spoke to a HAL Supvr & asked why they could not compete with the TA's & give us the same fare..The HAL Supvr agreed that they can never compete with Agents who have blocked space..

We've saved a ton of $$$ by using our Agent which also advertised on Cruise Critic..And BTW our Agent does get up-sells & upgrades & does pass the offer along to us..We had an upsell offer to a Lanai or a Verandah on the Veendam..The TA Agent called us immediately & we took the Lanai..

Cheers...Betty

I have used the same on line agency many times.... they also guarantee that they will match any price....

I have received this assurance several times by different TA's. It simply HAS NOT BEEN TRUE in every case we have checked.

When they are confronted with lower overall prices (compensating for OBC's, free excursions, complimentary Pinnacle dinners, etc.) they ALWAYS say "Oh, I was talking about only the basic cruise fare....[or some other excuse]".

Scott & Karen

IWhen they are confronted with lower overall prices (compensating for OBC's, free excursions, complimentary Pinnacle dinners, etc.) they ALWAYS say "Oh, I was talking about only the basic cruise fare....[or some other excuse]".

Scott & Karen

I have found the same.

Thanks for all the replies. I booked with the TA today. The rate was far below HAL's "special deal", the OBC was far above, meal for 2 in P. Grill, FCC allowed w/OBC for using it, allowed to purchase HAL's Platinum cancellation insurance. Now let's just see if all this comes through without a hitch. :rolleyes:;) ;) :D

I am still old fashion. I prefer to use a TA.

I remember people here not too many years ago were booked through an online agency and the agency went belly up -- so did a couple of other ones. And they all lost money.

Haven't there been regular "TA' s who went belly up and people lost money?

Haven't there been regular "TA' s who went belly up and people lost money?

It the TA makes the booking with HAL even if they go under there is no loss.

But some travel agencies book it themselves, pocketing the money to pay later (I'm putting this nicely) - so if they go under then yes cruisers will be affected.

As long as you have an invoice from HAL showing the payment went there and your payments get charged to HAL on your credit card you are fine.

If the agency goes under - you can go straight to HAL - they will take over and you can assign to a new agency if you wish.

It's the first thing I ask any new agency I am trying (online or not) - where does the money go (and then I check my cc bill) to make sure it really went to HAL. Any reputable firm will do that IMO:D

Thanks for all the replies. I booked with the TA today. The rate was far below HAL's "special deal", the OBC was far above, meal for 2 in P. Grill, FCC allowed w/OBC for using it, allowed to purchase HAL's Platinum cancellation insurance. Now let's just see if all this comes through without a hitch. :rolleyes:;) ;) :D

I'm sure you will have no problems, did you use an online agency, or a travel agency that you can frequent??? I usually use the online agency, but always call on the phone to talk to someone when I am booking, I have found this is a real easy way to get all your "ducks in a row".

Exactly...just make sure your credit card charge is from the cruise line. Just ask this question....and trust but verify to ensure that this has occurred.

Never, ever pay any travel agency or travel provider with anything except your credit card. If you pay with cash, debit card, cheque whatever you have absolutely NO recourse.

In a bankruptcy you would be nothing but an unsecured creditor-pennies on the dollar. A credit card payment will provide you with a much higher level of security and a much better chance of getting your money refunded if something untoward occurs.

It is easy to mix-up terminology here.

We use a quite large travel agency with offices in one (well two actually) cities. We have used them for many, many years and are most pleased with their offers, services, etc. However, in over 20 years I have only been to their offices three times and I live nearby. I do all my business by internet or phone. (Over 700 cruise days with them.) The vast majority of their business is by internet and phone from around the US and a number of other countries. I would say that a very, very small percent of their clients have ever visited the offices. Are they a bricks and motor agency or an internet agency? Now I am NOT looking for an answer to that question as I do not care what you would call them, it is just that I am sure there are other large agencies in the same situation and while most clients might call them an internet agency, for some it is bricks and mortar.

In terms of security, I actually feel more secure dealing with a large on line agency than I do with a bricks and mortar retail store.

If you can get over not meeting with them personally, I would suspect that the bankruptcy rate for B&M stores is much higher. They have much lower volumes and much higher overhead costs. An internet agency can locate in any low rent area, or have virtual agents. The only thing they need is good communication systems-phone and data. Just think of how many B&M stores has disappeared over the past 10 years.

In terms of security, I actually feel more secure dealing with a large on line agency than I do with a bricks and mortar retail store.

If you can get over not meeting with them personally, I would suspect that the bankruptcy rate for B&M stores is much higher. They have much lower volumes and much higher overhead costs. An internet agency can locate in any low rent area, or have virtual agents. The only thing they need is good communication systems-phone and data. Just think of how many B&M stores has disappeared over the past 10 years.

I second this post. Our first TA was a cruise only agency in Tyson's Corner in Northern Virginia. A very slick operation with five or six agents. Private offices, a viewing room where they could show you the various lines' promo videos, 24/7 phone access to at least one of the agents in case of emergencies, private parties/gatherings with cruise line reps, etc., etc. We booked our first cruise with them in 1993 and then a few more through 1998. Then comes 9/11 and the resulting fallout from that on cruising and poof they were gone, "boarded up" six months later. I don't know if they stiffed any customers or not but I know they did a number on their agents and were unsuccessfully sued for unpaid commissions. You just don't know.

Would love to know what Internet based TA's you have used;)

Would love to know what Internet based TA's you have used;)

If you look at the Stickeys at the top of this board, there is one for World Cruise Bloggers. In their blogs, at least a couple of them mention their cruise agencies. Hope it's not against the rules to point that out.

We booked online with a big name online travel company and got our trip insurance through them too. Once I had our booking number, I was able to go on the HAL site and book our excursions, dinners, etc. HAL was great as far as answering questions, making changes etc, even though we didn't book through their site. We will probably continue doing it this way because it was easy to get insurance with a separate company.

If you look at the Stickeys at the top of this board, there is one for World Cruise Bloggers. In their blogs, at least a couple of them mention their cruise agencies. Hope it's not against the rules to point that out.

Interesting that hasn't been noticed. Heck I'm so concerned about getting sideways with Cruise Critic I don't even mention or have links to the agencies I use on our website. We did maybe five or six years ago but when it really became an issue here I had my wife remove them. :)

Archived