Worried/MSC Divinia Dec cruise 2013

robinathome

Worried! My family 4 adults and a 2 year old are planning a Dec cruise with MSC Divinia for 11 days in the Caribbean. My friend is a travel agent and she just told me she has not heard anything good about this cruise line. Most of the reviews are from the European MSC cruises. Since I have been a Flight Attendant for 25+ years flying to Europe I understand some things that were different than what we in the US are used to. BUT I would love to hear from anyone that has been on this ship in the USA on a Caribbean cruise.

Worried! My family 4 adults and a 2 year old are planning a Dec cruise with MSC Divinia for 11 days in the Caribbean. My friend is a travel agent and she just told me she has not heard anything good about this cruise line. Most of the reviews are from the European MSC cruises. Since I have been a Flight Attendant for 25+ years flying to Europe I understand some things that were different than what we in the US are used to. BUT I would love to hear from anyone that has been on this ship in the USA on a Caribbean cruise.

The ship has not been to the caribbean yet it arrives in Nov. 2013.

I think as long as you go into it with an open mind you'll be fine. I have not cruised them either, but I am booked for the New Year's cruise. It was $1,000's less than anybody else and for that kind of savings I'll give them a try. Most of the complaints I have heard about were things like announcements in several languages, food not so great, and paying for some extras. Food is subjective so what some like others dislike so I discount those reviews. I think when the ship becomes based it Miami year round they will make some adaptations for the US market.

I've sailed MSC Poesia a few times and it is a great line. Not overcrowded with kids and they have good programs for them and a nice area for them.

Any day on a ship than a day at work. I think you understanding some of the European culture will also help.

I thought the shows were awesome! And I'm sure the Divina will be the same.

The food was good (I didn't have to cook) so I was always able to find something to eat and enjoyed it.

I am booked on the Divina Nov 20th, so I'll surely write a review and let you know. I wouldn't worry...it's vacation! :cool:

question to original poster:

have u ever been on a cruise before? - if not, u will have a great time as you have nothing to compare against - its when u cruise on different cruise lines that you do alot of comparing....and the negativity comes from these seasoned travellers - .... it is very hard to please 100% of the people on a cruise as everyone goes on the ship with different expectations -

honestly speaking - ur away with ur family - on a stunning ship

- you WILL have a great time....:)

• 2 months later...

We are booked on the Divina during Easter so I am hoping it is full of families so we can get a good idea about the family atmosphere. I was reassured by a MSC-USA travel agent that the food IS wonderful (especially adding the Eataly restaurants for the Caribbean), pizza/pasta making classes, the entertainment is similar to cirque shows, the ship is said to be gorgeous and very clean! I think if you are looking to do lots of partying and pool games it may be a bit too sedate. My TA said there will be Caribbean music played by the bands. We are going with our 16 year old son and he loves RCL for the activities not spending his time in the teen club. I am not sure if the cruise line has the best children's activities. With 4 ports there will be more to do on land this time (I'm thinking) than the ship. I'm hoping the "italian spirit" of the ship won't be lost when it comes to Miami. That is what is unique. Really can't beat the prices if just trying the cruise for 1 week. I am waiting for reviews too.:)

I've sailed MSC Poesia a few times and it is a great line. Not overcrowded with kids and they have good programs for them and a nice area for them.

Any day on a ship than a day at work. I think you understanding some of the European culture will also help.

I thought the shows were awesome! And I'm sure the Divina will be the same.

The food was good (I didn't have to cook) so I was always able to find something to eat and enjoyed it.

I am booked on the Divina Nov 20th' date=' so I'll surely write a review and let you know. I wouldn't worry...it's vacation! :cool:[/quote']

I'm interested in seeing how the first few cruises on the Divina from Miami work out! Every cruise is a new experience!

Barbara

That's what heard about Costa years ago after we booked our first Caribbean cruise on the Mediterranea. Everyone said we wouldn't like it, we were making a big mistake, etc. Well....we had the best cruise ever on Costa and we cancelled our upcoming Carnival cruise on the drive home from the port and re-booked another Costa cruise (Fortuna.) We loved the international passengers--nothing like sitting at breakfast with a German family, S. African family, etc.

My family, 2 teenaged boys included, would sail Costa everytime if we could. But with both boys in HS sports, we can only get away in November...before Costa comes to the US.

So, don't listen to everyone else! Go on your MSC cruise and enjoy everything that makes it an Italian cruise line. I hope you will love the European vibe as much as we do!

We've cruised MSC Poesia 3 times. The only other cruise we've done is with Carnival so I can only compare to that.

For the price, MSC cannot be beat. The kids sail free is AWESOME! The entertainment was fantastic, loved the shows. On the Poesia they were fantastic, done a little like Cirque so that they appeal to all nationalities without having to have a commentary or translation. Hope they continue this on Divina and don't "Americanize" it too much.

I had no problem at all with the food. If your only interested in American-style food - burgers, chicken-fried-steak etc.. then you may be disappointed, but we LOVED the selection. They have the usual stuff for the kids, and a daily selection for those who do want to stick with the familiar.

Contrary to what you may hear elsewhere -water and coffee are available FREE in the dining room. You won't get a cappacunio, but you will get a regular cup of coffee and iced water - just ask.

THere is not the Ra-ra-ra party atmosphere of Carnival. But there is still lots going on.

The kids club was a little disappointing. This is the only area I would say that Carnival has the upper hand. But again, it's very European (Im originally from England, living in Texas). My kids are 6 and 9. There is not the 'sign-in' 'sign-out' structure of Carnival. It is very relaxed. The kids area of Poesia was a little small, and we have only sailed on Holidays (Thanksgiving and Christmas/New Year), so they were always busy. But our kids had a ton of fun and loved it.

I don't get the big deal about the announcements. Yes, they repeat everything in 4-5 different languages, so what. Don't listen if you don't want to hear it! I think English was always first, so just tune-out after that.

The cabin and wait staff were awesome, couldn't do enough for you. The reception staff and officers did come across as a little snooty, but didn't really affect us at all.

There was a strong European presence on the Poesia. Mainly older people, and lots of Speedo's :eek:

My American husband and friends were surprised at first by what they called 'cutting in line' in the buffet. But for me I just call it being efficient - why start at the very end of the line and pass through stations you are not interested in, when you can join, politely, mid-way.

Overall we love MSC, like I said, for a family you just won't be able to beat the price. Go with an open mind, embrace the change in culture and have fun!

That's what heard about Costa years ago after we booked our first Caribbean cruise on the Mediterranea. Everyone said we wouldn't like it, we were making a big mistake, etc. Well....we had the best cruise ever on Costa and we cancelled our upcoming Carnival cruise on the drive home from the port and re-booked another Costa cruise (Fortuna.) We loved the international passengers--nothing like sitting at breakfast with a German family, S. African family, etc.

My family, 2 teenaged boys included, would sail Costa everytime if we could. But with both boys in HS sports, we can only get away in November...before Costa comes to the US.

So, don't listen to everyone else! Go on your MSC cruise and enjoy everything that makes it an Italian cruise line. I hope you will love the European vibe as much as we do!

LOL Same for us :D re: Costa)

I will post on return late December 2013. We are all set and ready for a good experience, looking forward to the food! I travel to Rome many times a month as a Flight Attendant. My favorite city in the World. But appreciate all of your reviews. And yes MSC was very well priced.

Makes me wonder if the Travel Agent "friend" has ever cruised on MSC. She has just never heard anything good about MSC. Well, she needs to listen to me then. I love MSC. Trying to figure out how to get to Santo Domingo for the Musica cruise this winter.

Don't care if it is basically European on that cruise. I'll take MSC over Carnival, Norwegian, HAL, or RCCL any day. Princess and Celebrity are a toss up.

We are very experienced cruisers and this will be our third time on MSC. It is an ITALIAN cruise line and we have been on the Lirica and the Poesia prior to this upcoming cruise on the Divina. Our experience has been that there will be a strong European presence as well as Americans on the cruise - and that MSC has been working hard to tailor the Divina more to American taste. That being said, we have truly enjoyed cruising with them before - and the cruise is a great value.

If you are an open minded traveler and enjoy meeting people from many different countries and speaking many other languages, you will enjoy this. Try foods that are different - portions may be smaller - Europeans do not serve supersized portions but there was always something good to eat.

If you are a typical American and want this cruise ship to be like Princess, RCCI, Celebrity or Carnival - you will be disappointed. If you like great entertainment and a diversity of food and people, you will have a great time.

I have been on 3 cruise lines, this was the worst. While the ship was pretty and clean, the food was lousy and not fresh, and the service was mediocre at best.

I would never recommend this cruise company-I was expecting great food, and what it tasted like on a daily basis in every restaurant/ buffet was high school cafeteria type food.

Sorry, but that was my experience and many others I spoke to on ship felt the same way.

I have been on 3 cruise lines, this was the worst. While the ship was pretty and clean, the food was lousy and not fresh, and the service was mediocre at best.

I would never recommend this cruise company-I was expecting great food, and what it tasted like on a daily basis in every restaurant/ buffet was high school cafeteria type food.

Sorry, but that was my experience and many others I spoke to on ship felt the same way.

Hi Paul.

What ship did you sail and when?

Which other cruise lines have you sailed with?

I was on MSC Divina in January 2013 but in Mediterranean not USA. It is a lovely ship with great facilities, food and service and all put together with Italian flare. In Europe the majority of passengers are not English speaking but obviously this will change when it reaches your side of the pond.

As people have said already approach your trip with an open mind and a degree of patience and you will have a fab time !

As the Divina has not yet been to the USA there will not be any reviews until after the repo cruise but with that in mind the reviews are likely to be different to those posted by people who have cruised the Med and those who will cruise the Caribbean.

There will be less in terms of numbers of kids on the this repo as there were on the Poesia last year compared to the Med and the reviews may well be of a more upbeat nature than those posted so far.

I usually tend to read the poor reviews rather than the good ones to see what the complaints are and there is a common theme running through most of them regarding the cruises in the Med, unruly kids,poor food quality,unhelpful staff in certain areas and no one enforcing rules on clothing in certain areas like the Buffet. Oh and rude passengers!

Archived