Reflection 11 Night Eastern Med - Just Back!

kruzgal

Just got back from another fantastic cruise with Celebrity. I am really busy, so don't have time to write a review yet, but am happy to answer questions for anyone about to go. It was a great trip and for those concerned there were absolutely no problems in Istanbul.:)

did your cruise stop at santorini? Wondering how long the tendering process is taking. We are looking at booking an excursion in Oct and looking at either a 9;30 or a 10:15 start time, when our docking time is 7.

Curious as to what time 2nd seating dinner actually is. The pre-cruise information says 8:45 pm but I know many times ships adjust the times, typically a bit earlier.

Also curious as to the tendering process for Santorini, particularly with not scheduled to arrive until 2:00 pm

did your cruise stop at santorini? Wondering how long the tendering process is taking. We are looking at booking an excursion in Oct and looking at either a 9;30 or a 10:15 start time, when our docking time is 7.

Just back off Silhouette and we stopped at the beautiful Santorini, my first time and absolutely loved it.

What excursion are you doing? The island, I personally feel, isnt that big enough to get an excursion rather than doing it your self.

We got off at 9, was at the top of the cable cars by around 9.40 and then we headed for the main street through Fira, which is literally a 2 minute walk from the top of the cable cars. Walked over the street, just over to the right hand side and hired an ATV (quad bike) for the day. 25 Euros !! that was it for the two of us, filled up with 10 Euros of fuel and did one end of the island to the other, and still handed it back with half a tank of fuel left.

It was amazing - however, with all those decisions to be made about the donkeys, in my opinion STAY AWAY.

People were getting their legs cut by other people and donkeys going in the opposite direction, the smell and hygiene issues are just unbearable at this time of year, and we found nobody on the ship who enjoyed the experience.

If you plan to walk the steps up or down, then a MUST is very sensible shoes.. the amount of people falling over (slippery surface) and getting injuries was also a big concern.

Leave plenty of time and get the cable car either way. Its 4 euros pp up then 4 euros down, but you cannot buy a return at the bottom.

REMEMBER - the line gets seriously busy around 2pm onwards, and we were the only ship in and couldn't imagine what its like with 2 or 3 ships in.

At 2.15pm the line they said was a 1h 15mins wait, hence we walked down (bad decision)

74681_10151542195428325_1253353423_n.jpg

This is the walk up/down :eek::eek:

SAM_0398.JPG?psid=1

How was the food at Opus? I heard that their grill burgers are included as well during the cruise?

We enjoyed all the meals at the Opus. There is a poolside grill which operates over lunch time and provides burgers, no charge.

Yes, we stopped at Santorini, but we stopped from 2 - 10 pm and we are also Elite which meant we got priority vouchers, making it very simple and quick. We were the only ship in during the afternoon, although there were 2 others on an early morning/afternoon visit, so it didn't impact as they were really heading back to their ships as we were heading off.

We're doing the Eastern Med and Greek Isles...a little different itinerary than what you did. I did read somewhere that the ship was not able to dock in Mykonos due to high winds and had to re-route.

One question. Can you tell me if they had escargot and whole lobsters in the MDR?

Looking forward to reading your report when you get time. Just under 5 weeks for us now. We're also doing the pre-cruise tour before we sail on Sept. 3. Can't wait. :D

Curious as to what time 2nd seating dinner actually is. The pre-cruise information says 8:45 pm but I know many times ships adjust the times, typically a bit earlier.

Also curious as to the tendering process for Santorini, particularly with not scheduled to arrive until 2:00 pm

The 2nd seating was 8.45pm and seating was also allowed up to 30 minutes after this time so doors closed at 9.15 pm

Tendering was very quick for us as we are Elite and got priority vouchers. We got some seats in the lounge area on deck 3 about 30 minutes before tendering was due to start so that we were ready as soon as our number was called. It was very quick and easy for us - not sure about the later tender ticket numbers. There is an announcement in the Celebrity Today telling you when/where to collect the tickets if you are not Elite or on an excursion.

We're doing the Eastern Med and Greek Isles...a little different itinerary than what you did. I did read somewhere that the ship was not able to dock in Mykonos due to high winds and had to re-route.

One question. Can you tell me if they had escargot and whole lobsters in the MDR?

Looking forward to reading your report when you get time. Just under 5 weeks for us now. We're also doing the pre-cruise tour before we sail on Sept. 3. Can't wait. :D

Our itinerary actually changed because there was a strike/protest planned in Athens for the day we were due to stop, so the Captain switched and we went to Athens first, then Mykonos. Excellent decision as far as we were concerned. There was a ship docked in Mykonos and it is a tiny port so I believe that may be part of the reason we tendered. Again it was a simple process and all very efficient.

Sorry can't help with the food question. We didn't dine in the Opus every night and chose not to take part in formal nights this time, a first for us. There were only 2 formal nights and the luggage costs are so high we decided to leave the formal wear at home and eat elsewhere on those 2 nights - the Lawn Club Grill and Bistro on 5. Enjoyed them both.

In Santorini we took the donkeys up and the cable car down. Personally, having riden up, I would not consider walking up or down. It is too slippery and there are donkeys going up and down. People walking were squashed against the walls of the path as the donkeys went by and for the people riding there is nothing you can do to avoid them. It was an interesting experience!

We were on the same cruise. We got number 37 for the tenders and were off about an hour after dock time about 3pm. They started giving the tender vouchers at 8 am & I went down around 8:30 to get them. I was walking by about an hour later and someone was getting their tickets, I heard the lady tell them they were #67 and they would be lucky to get off by 4:30pm.

The tenders weren't bad. The true nightmare was the cable car. We waited over an hour to get up.

No escargot, our waiter told us they couldn't get it due to a shortage. Only lobster tails are available, you can have more than 1, you just need to ask (my son had 2) the waiter told us the record was 12. This menu was on the last sea day.

We booked the ship's tour to Oia in Santorini. No need to get a tender ticket. We were off the ship by 2:15. Took the cable car down about 6 pm. No line at all. In 2010 we waited in a long line to come down.

We booked the ship's tour to Oia in Santorini. No need to get a tender ticket. We were off the ship by 2:15. Took the cable car down about 6 pm. No line at all. In 2010 we waited in a long line to come down.

We also went to Oia but used public transport. We took the cable car down around the same time and no queues, but some people were staying ashore to watch the sunset so I think that spread people out a bit, and by then the other ships had departed so we were the only ones using the cable car by then.

We were on the same cruise. We got number 37 for the tenders and were off about an hour after dock time about 3pm. They started giving the tender vouchers at 8 am & I went down around 8:30 to get them. I was walking by about an hour later and someone was getting their tickets, I heard the lady tell them they were #67 and they would be lucky to get off by 4:30pm.

The tenders weren't bad. The true nightmare was the cable car. We waited over an hour to get up.

That's the real reason for why we are choosing an excursion. Its through santorini planet. They pick you up at the dock, (no cable car), take you by boat to oia. 4 hours on your own and then they take you to fira town by bus. So we only have to deal w cable car going back. Thanks for the info! Was 3 your scheduled dock time or is that when the tenders started?

Would it be possible to post the name of the Captain and Hotel director. I try and keep a list of senior staff onboard. The following chart is several weeks old:

WhoinJulypic.png

That's the real reason for why we are choosing an excursion. Its through santorini planet. They pick you up at the dock, (no cable car), take you by boat to oia. 4 hours on your own and then they take you to fira town by bus. So we only have to deal w cable car going back. Thanks for the info! Was 3 your scheduled dock time or is that when the tenders started?

If your tour is from a private company and not Celebrity I think you will still need a tender ticket. If you have an early tour, find out when the tickets are being distributed and get yourself into that line as early as possible. Our scheduled arrival time in Santorini was 2pm. If you are on the 10 day itinerary, you arrive at 7 am and depart at 6 pm. Tendering actually started before the listed arrival time. Our tour ticket listed departure time as 1:10 pm. I questioned guest services about this and was assured it was correct. The tenders are large boats from Santorini, not Celebrity. Once they start coming, they load and unload continuously and can load from two areas on Deck 2.

TM, On this itinerary, the second seating begins at the listed time and typically is extended. A large percentage of the passengers are Europeans and South Americans who eat dinner later. Even the Select dining is affected. Our waiter told us that some people don't arrive until 10 pm or later and some nights they are serving until almost midnight. You will notice the difference when the early show is at 9 pm. You could walk into the theater at 8:55 and find seats just about anywhere you wanted to sit.

Our itinerary actually changed because there was a strike/protest planned in Athens for the day we were due to stop, so the Captain switched and we went to Athens first, then Mykonos. Excellent decision as far as we were concerned.

Kruzgal.....we leave for this itinerary in 6 weeks and we are so excited!

Can you please tell me when the captain advised of the change in plans for Athens? We have a private tour booked in Athens so I am wondering how much time we'd have to notify them of a change if it were to happen to us as well.

Thanks,

Melissa

Can you please tell me when the captain advised of the change in plans for Athens? We have a private tour booked in Athens so I am wondering how much time we'd have to notify them of a change if it were to happen to us as well.

Thanks,

Melissa

I have been trying to remember but I am not 100% sure - he mentioned it in his public address and then we also had a written note in our cabin in the evening. There wasn't a lot of notice, maybe 24/48 hours. You will probably be fine. Don't worry I would have thought the chances of there being strikes again on the same day you are in port are probably quite slim. We did see a riot police van and shields in Syntagma square and a podium was being erected ready for the next day. There were also some small demonstrations the day we were in port (we heard a lot of sirens) but nothing to be concerned about.

Thanks,

Melissa

Kruzgal is right it was a day or 2 in advance. We had a letter delivered to each cabin. I'm sure we were informed as soon as the company learned of the strike and confirmed we were able to switch days in Athens and Mykonos.

Archived