CNN Reporting Cruise Line hid food in Cabins

I have no idea if they were doing a one time Alaska cruise and were headed to Asia after the one cruise.... not returning to U.S. No PVSA requirement if that was the case. I don't think it likely they were doing only the one cruise in Alaska but I haven't looked at a Silversea Itinerary in more than 2 years.

I agree, after this, Canada will be all over them if they have not 'left the area' already and are en route to Bora Bora for all I know. :D

Good point. After you made that point I looked at cruisetimetables and they're doing Alaska until September 12. Heads up Canada. If USPHS didn't fine them maybe Environment Canada will.

Roy

I'm not surprised to hear this at all. I have worked in the hotel industry for 10+ years (4-and 5-star hotels), and some of the things I have seen over the years make me not enjoy my hotel stays as a guest - the housekeepers who wipe down toilet seats and then use the same rag to "clean" a glass on the sink; bodily fluids on carpets that are just dried and vacuumed up (not disinfected); foods stored in unsafe temps in storage units....

This is just another sign of the cost-cutting cruise lines are making these days, and I have no doubt every other cruise line is engaging in unsanitary, unsafe practices. As much as I love cruising, I always have these thoughts in the back of my head and just hope for the best. These industries are assembly lines of guests coming and going, overworked and underpaid employees and shortcuts in really shocking areas.

I'm glad Silversea was caught, and hopefully the CDC can start to crack down more on the travel industry. I get tired of using a shower cap to hold the tv remote control and avoiding any perishable food items more than the first couple days of a cruise.

Michael

From the list of items found in improper storage - hard to tell if these were immediate hazards, but most likely not -- reminds me of the old Tavola Caldas that were standard in Italy - food prepared in the morning, placed on viewing carts and then re-heated when the customer selected and item hours later:

----dry foods,

----spices,

----canned foods,

----cooked foods,

----milk, (canned or dried???)

----raw meats, (salami, pickled herring, beef jerky???)

----pasteurized eggs, (dried egg powders ????)

----cheeses of all types, (Velveeta lasts forever on the shelf???)

----baking goods,

----raw fruits,

----raw vegetables,

Not excusing regulations, but who doesn't have some of these same items on the shelf at home or out in a fruit bowl.

From the list of items found in improper storage - hard to tell if these were immediate hazards, but most likely not -- reminds me of the old Tavola Caldas that were standard in Italy - food prepared in the morning, placed on viewing carts and then re-heated when the customer selected and item hours later:

----dry foods,

----spices,

----canned foods,

----cooked foods, Grows mildew.

----milk, (canned or dried???) Does it make a difference? Diary exposed at room temperature is a health hazard.

----raw meats, (salami, pickled herring, beef jerky???)You're kidding right? The key word here is RAW!

----baking goods, see Cooked Foods...

----raw fruits,

----raw vegetables,Both raw fruits & vegetables need refrigeration to stop spoilage.

Not excusing regulations, but who doesn't have some of these same items on the shelf at home or out in a fruit bowl.

Defending the indefensible, eh? PSST! Not everyone has Velveeta on the shelf!:eek:

HAVE A BLESSED DAY!:D

----dry foods,

----spices,

----canned foods,

----cooked foods,

----milk, (canned or dried???)

----raw meats, (salami, pickled herring, beef jerky???)

----baking goods,

----raw fruits,

----raw vegetables,

Agree with you, but people died much younger in the "good old days" & many from food borne illnesses..:D:D LOL

According to the World Health Organization: http://www.who.int/topics/foodborne_diseases/en/

"Food borne diseases encompass a wide spectrum of illnesses and are a growing public health problem worldwide."

I have left dry foods, my spices, onions & canned foods out & certainly don't refrigerate peanut butter..Also leave apples, oranges, bananas, tomatoes & peaches on the counter to ripen, but wash them well before consuming them..I scrub some vegies & oranges before peeling & cooking them.. I also wash pre-washed salads sold in packages..

Never, ever leave raw meat & chicken out..Because of the heat in Southern Florida, we take a cooler bag with us to the supermarket..This holds all our meat, deli, milk, frozen food purchases & when we get home everything in that bag promptly is put into the freezer or fridge first..

The rules are set in place because of the problem of food borne illness, which is prevalent & serious on cruise ships, hotels, air lines & schools..

Cheers...Betty

Anyone else have stacks of local-color photos of those quaint street markets where all the food stuffs, including all sorts of meats, fish and fowl are hanging out there on racks? No refrigeration; just daily consumption.

Seems to be the normal thing in a great part of the world, and people seem to thrive because they instinctively know what is fresh and safe and what is to be discarded and rejected. Yes, food borne illness is a concern but probably more contaminated water supplies or food handling that merely food products themselves not being held under 40 degrees or over 140 degrees.

Is not "aged beef" nothing but beef left out to "cure" a bit for tenderness and flavor development? But this is a digression. My apologies. This is not meant to be justification for SilverSea's known violations of industry standards. They deserve black marks for sure.

In a past life I worked for an entity subject to FDA review. On one occasion I was the person in charge when an FDA inspector came by. In my opinion the FDA would have shut us down if they had found evidence of fraud.

The CDC does not have much authority over cruise ships sailing under foreign flags.

A family member sails Silverseas and probably laughs at us for sailing mass market lines like HAL and Princess.

Stories like this embarrass an industry and me as a cruiser every time a friend or neighbor questions me about cruising. I will not make excuses for deceptive acts such as this.

Archived