CNN Reporting Cruise Line hid food in Cabins

CNN is reporting that a Luxury cruise line hid food in cabins to avoid U.S. Govt. inspections per a CDC report..

http://www.centurylink.net/tv/3/player/vendor/CNN/player/cnn/asset/cnn_3420

Have read so many posters who say how wonderful this cruise line is...:eek::eek:

Based on this report, we'll stick with HAL even if & when we win the lottery! :D:D

CNN is reporting that a Luxury cruise line hid food in cabins to avoid U.S. Govt. inspections per a CDC report..

Have read so many posters who say how wonderful this cruise line is...:eek::eek:

Based on this report, we'll stick with HAL even if & when we win the lottery! :D:D

WOW:eek::eek: Unbelievable - whoever said truth was stranger than fiction was right

You're more observant than I am, Betty. I can't recall many here shouting Silversea virtues. On my one cruise with them my reaction was "Equal to Crystal in the extras, mediocre at best in the basics". This doesn't seem to change my opinion very much.

Roy

Small ship + high end menus = something had to give.

Exactly. Small ships cannot make profit even at $5,000 pp for the week. There are not enough cabins/people to pay the bills for fuel, crew, food, all the bills.........

This is about the most disgusting cruise ship story I recall reading in a long time.

No punishment and the ship was permitted to sail.

So much for USPH CDC power and authority. :rolleyes:

Cruisejunkie.com reported on this a few days back and again yesterday with some text from the CDC report.

The language in the CDC report was more harsh than they usually use.

Must have been a mess.

86 is passing so 82 overall is still not the disaster the media is pretending it is. Many people store eggs and cheeses at room temperatures elsewhere in the world. Were there any reports of excessive passenger illness also reported? I am not condoning what happened; only the lurid expressions of disgust ginned up by the media.

SilverSea however showed extremely poor judgement in this matter and they should be ashamed and will take their lumps but my guess is their passengers are a highly loyal bunch who appreciate the small size and deep finesse they have long associated with Silverseas.

86 is passing so 82 overall is still not the disaster the media is pretending it is. Many people store eggs and cheeses at room temperatures elsewhere in the world. Were there any reports of excessive passenger illness also reported? I am not condoning what happened; only the lurid expressions of disgust ginned up by the media.

SilverSea however showed extremely poor judgement in this matter and they should be ashamed and will take their lumps but my guess is their passengers are a highly loyal bunch who appreciate the small size and deep finesse they have long associated with Silverseas.

I read the report - there were a number of sick crew members - not only that they weren't 'logged in' as was supposed to be done - so yes, I would say some were sick.

When one of the HAL ships got a score around this number (I think it was the Veendam? but my memory is short) people here very upset. No cruise ship should fail - but there are different kinds of failure. This one with the sick crew and the food storage is serious IMO. Not only that, the only reason it was caught is because a crew member reported it. Hopefully in the future CDC will check crew quarters on ALL ships

Off to check their board and see what their reaction is

There has been a long ongoing discussion on the Silversea board for about a week now on this report. I actually saw a teaser about it last Friday on a major morning news show on TV, which is when I went to look up the info.

No, the loyal cruisers haven't been defending the line particularly. Just as many HAL regulars were appalled when the Veendam received a score of 77 less than a year ago...

What makes this Silversea score particularly egregious is that the evidence strongly suggests a major effort to cover up the issues. Not good.

If you don't this is also happening on HAL and other lines as well, then I guess you believe in the Easter Bunny!

Just another black eye for cruising which the general population recently has been looking down on. I use to tell people of my 132 cruises, now I keep it to myself!

Worldspan

If you don't this is also happening on HAL and other lines as well, then I guess you believe in the Easter Bunny!

Just another black eye for cruising which the general population recently has been looking down on. I use to tell people of my 132 cruises, now I keep it to myself!

Worldspan

actually some on the board for this particular line is suggesting that they are better off on the mass market lines. They don't seem to think it is happening there and they don't think this is a 'one time anomaly on their line:rolleyes:

I do think CDC should make this a practice to check out on all lines and I do think they should be given more power. There should be a HUGE fine for storing food unsafely and not report GI problems IMO

Yes I saw that report last night. The worrying thing is that the inference was so much goes on that doesn't get caught - on all cruise lines - and for this particular instance, the CDC is powerless to do anything other than wag a finger. They had their suspicions, which is why the did a surprise check in Skagway.

actually some on the board for this particular line is suggesting that they are better off on the mass market lines. They don't seem to think it is happening there and they don't think this is a 'one time anomaly on their line:rolleyes:

I do think CDC should make this a practice to check out on all lines and I do think they should be given more power. There should be a HUGE fine for storing food unsafely and not report GI problems IMO

Keep in mind, these ships that are inspected by USPH if they sail in U.S. ports are also inspected if they call in Canadian ports. If this Silversea ship was sailing Alaska, my hunch (without checking itineraries...yet) was it also called in at least one Canadian port. I know for sure Canada also does cruise ship inspections. I wonder if, since this event, they have inspected this or any other Silversea ships? I wonder if it had been inspected at all this season?

Keep in mind, these ships that are inspected by USPH if they sail in U.S. ports are also inspected if they call in Canadian ports. If this Silversea ship was sailing Alaska, my hunch (without checking itineraries...yet) was it also called in at least one Canadian port. I know for sure Canada also does cruise ship inspections. I wonder if, since this event, they have inspected this or any other Silversea ships? I wonder if it had been inspected at all this season?

No need to check itineraries. PVSA requires that they stop in a Canadian port. I'm guessing Canadian authorities will be looking pretty closely.

Roy

No need to check itineraries. PVSA requires that they stop in a Canadian port. I'm guessing Canadian authorities will be looking pretty closely.

Roy

I have no idea if they were doing a one time Alaska cruise and were headed to Asia after the one cruise.... not returning to U.S. No PVSA requirement if that was the case. I don't think it likely they were doing only the one cruise in Alaska but I haven't looked at a Silversea Itinerary in more than 2 years.

I agree, after this, Canada will be all over them if they have not 'left the area' already and are en route to Bora Bora for all I know. :D

Storing eggs & cheeses at room temps for a short period of time, is one thing but storing raw meat, chicken etc. in un-air conditioned space for any length of time is unacceptable in my book..

This is part of the CDC report:

http://wwwn.cdc.gov/InspectionQueryTool/InspectionDetailReport.aspx?ColI=MTgwMDAzOTQ%3d-n6DxX6qpl9c%3d Quote

Item No.: 13

Site: Other-Galley Crew Cabins

Violation: An organized effort was made to physically remove over 15 full trolleys of dry foods, spices, canned foods, cooked foods, milk, raw meats, pasteurized eggs, cheeses of all types, baking goods, raw fruits, raw vegetables, and a variety of both hand held and counter model food equipment, pans, dishware and utensils to over 10 individual cabins shared by two or three galley crew members in order to avoid inspection by VSP staff. All the out of temperature potentially hazardous foods were discarded along with most other foods that were not canned or in original containers. The lead VSP inspector poured concentrated chlorine liquid over all the discarded foods as they were dumped into garbage bags to ensure they would not be used again.

Item No.: 19

Site: Other-Galley Crew Cabins

Violation: A variety of packaged, unpackaged, covered, uncovered, raw, cooked, and ready-to-eat foods were found stored on the deck, under and on beds of the galley crew cabins from 302 to 326.

Unquote

Just finished reading the Silver Sea WEB site & people are up in arms..Apparently, this was reported by a former crew member about a month ago…Some crew members aboard the Silver Shadow allege that were forced to store raw meat, salami, fish, cakes, and every kind of culinary preparations in their cabins and remote hallways to avoid inspections by the CDC, which is a branch of the U.S. Public Health.. They also claimed they had to sleep in these cabins without air conditioning & the foods stored outside the refrigerators were served to passengers the next day..

I found the following from Mr. Walkers web site:

An epidemiologist at the CDC thanked the crew members in writing for the information:

"The pictures and information you provided were very accurate and reflected what was seen and experienced by the inspectors yesterday on the ship . . . Thank you "

Silver Seas response is in the form of a sticky at the top of the Silver Sea board..Looks like the Management is blaming the galley crew & not the Officers..Passing the Buck, so to speak but most on the Silver Sea message board is not accepting it..

No one knows if this goes on, on other ships.. Would suspect that if the CDC as well as the Canadian counterpart pulled more surprise inspections, most cruise lines would be much more vigilant & careful!

Betty

Archived