Bringing Unlimited Wine Policy Officially Change Yesterday

LAFFNVEGAS

Did you read my post? I'm certainly not. I knew/felt a change was coming - but I didn't think it would be this BAD.

I think some got tired of those who said 'slap a luggage tag on the case of wine and it will be delivered to your cabin'. To me that was too much. To others, it was the policy so it was ok. another 'hot' discussion on the boards so to speak.

BUT Lisa is just sharing the info - I don't shoot the messenger

Neither did I (think it would be this bad). I can see HAL wanting to limit people from hauling a case or two on at embarkation, but one of the enjoyable thing about a European cruise is to buy a bottle in port and enjoy it on the verandah at sail away. At least that's what I envisioned. :eek: Truthfully? If I hadn't just made final payment, I would cancel our upcoming cruise. I'm THAT ticked off.

You can call Room Service the day you board and order however many bottles you want for your whole cruise. Open them when you wish. Or ou can likely order them in advance (Ships Services 800-541-1576) and they will be waiting in your cabin when you arrive.

People have been doing that for hard liquors for years.

You do not have to buy one bottle at a time.

Thanks Sail, I figured something like that could be done.

Still, I’m angry that I signed a contract with HAL with the understanding that I could bring wine onboard as I’ve done for each of my previous cruises only to find that they’ve changed the rules a few weeks before sailing.

I don’t mind paying $32 for an $8 bottle of wine in the dining room or lounges (double that in the Pinnacle) because I know that I’m paying for the hard-working crew to take my order, open, pour, smile and make chit chat, wipe the bar and wash the glasses when I’m done. Plus, I’m in a social situation in a beautiful atmosphere and that’s what’s being served.

But if I’m willing to carry my own small stash onboard to enjoy in my jammies before bed, I don’t see why I shouldn’t be able to. The upshot is that, between the Evil Twin and me, HAL will sell an additional 5 bottles on our September cruise for use in our cabin. And Princess just might get our business from here on out.

So far, the top three reasons as to why this is such a good policy appear to be (in no particular order):

1. It will save money for HAL cruisers.

2. It will reduce the amount of E-Coli or Noro outbreaks on the ship.

3. HAL cruisers will no longer get 'tired out' by watching other HAL cruisers bring cases of wine on board.

I hope that HAL's PR folks are reading this. They may want to incorporate these reasons in their press release.

Or maybe not.

Edited by iancal

Question to ponder . . .

Aside from Cruise Critic members, how many HAL cruisers actually knew the "OLD" wine policy? We see threads all the time that make it obvious cruisers do not read the HAL web site or the "know before you go" HAL info. If I had not discovered CC, and didn't happen to look up Alcohol Policy on HAL's web site - how would I know that I (in the past) could have brought as many bottles as I wanted on a cruise?

I'm still curious how Lisa was informed of the change and if all TA's received the same message ... and if they were asked to inform their clients.

No, other TA's were not informed at the same time - mine had no notice as of last evening. Lisa said herself that she got it from one of her friends at HAL.

Was the iron found in her carry-on baggage or checked baggage? Or was it was reported by the room stewart?

Please let us know why you find it so hard to believe that bags are NOT x-rayed at every port on every cruise line.

It was found in her checked bag. The bag did not make it to her room. This is my proof. I'm pretty sure the someone that works for Hal security has also said bags are x-rayed. I'm still waiting for your proof that they are not but my guess is that you don't have any proof but are trying to save face.

Just got the official notice that our Express docs (for our September cruise) are ready for printing and checked to see if there was any mention of the new wine/alcohol policy!

NOPE!!! not a mention in the email or a notation on our check in page.

Tried to call HAL to inquire but all lines are busy!!!!

Surfergirl -dh is Spanish & Mexican origen. I have 2 recipes for white and red sangria that are in Spanish in origin. They do not have to be made a week in advance and go over big time at my summer parties.

If you want to email me (in my signature) I will be happy to share the recipes with you. You could easily provide these to HAL and they could be made for you.

And, despite what Stephen posted (Topsham) they are authentic sangria recipes and do not take days. Not arguing with him - just saying:D

Jacqui, I sent you an email :).

Joan

I don't think there was a good way to roll this out. I'm sure there would always be someone complaining. Lets just say that Hal let folks cancel even though they were past final. At that point folks would be complaining about air. I'm sure there will be adjustments to this policy and I'm sure there will still be more complaints.

We couldnt cancel no matter what. We could never reschedule, i have to pick dates a year plus out, DH already took time off school, (no classes for the quarter we are gone) it would be a nightmare. We are too far into it, too invested.

Edited by surfergirle

So far, the top three reasons as to why this is such a good policy appear to be (in no particular order):

3. HAL cruisers will no longer get 'tired out' by watching other HAL cruisers bring cases of wine on board.

I hope that HAL's PR folks are reading this. They may want to incorporate these reasons in their press release.

Or maybe not.

LOL:D Love the E-Coli one, especially as that was posted by someone who brings CHEESE onboard!

I'm now waiting to see what happens when they ban soda and water being brought on, and cartons of cigarettes. Because, of course, you must pay their price and not bring your own.

It was found in her checked bag. The bag did not make it to her room. This is my proof. I'm pretty sure the someone that works for Hal security has also said bags are x-rayed. I'm still waiting for your proof that they are not but my guess is that you don't have any proof but are trying to save face.

Of course I can't provide proof, but I cas assure you that all bags are not x-rayed at every port. End of subject. Believe what you want to believe.

Thank you Lisa for the information.

I am glad to see that HAL is no longer allowing people to bring on cases of wine.

I like the idea that HAL is doing what most cruise lines are doing -- 1 bottle of wine or champagne per person.

I guess you are nota wine drinker for dinner. We like wine with our dinner and in our room possibly before dinner. It helps us to bring wine aboard to defer high on board costs, especially on long cruises!

I don't mind paying the corkage fees, but I don't like the limit!:(

Or maybe not.

My personal favorite is #1. Kind of like when you were either spanking one of your kids or making them take medicine- "You won't like this now, but I'm doing it for our own good in the long run". :rolleyes:

Neither did I (think it would be this bad). I can see HAL wanting to limit people from hauling a case or two on at embarkation, but one of the enjoyable thing about a European cruise is to buy a bottle in port and enjoy it on the verandah at sail away. At least that's what I envisioned. :eek: Truthfully? If I hadn't just made final payment, I would cancel our upcoming cruise. I'm THAT ticked off.

Sheila-

I did the cruise you are doing last fall and I would be angry as can be!!! :eek::eek::eek:

I am sorry you are one of the cruisers that are past final that are affected by this. Of course you will want to purchase wines on the trip to enjoy on the ship (on your own balcony) as that is part of the charm of that itinerary. Giving you NO warning is inexcuseable!!! :rolleyes:

Edited by localady

One lady at my dinner table got a iron confiscated that was found by X-ray on a Hal ship. I guess that must have been the only bag that's ever been xrayed. Please let us know how you've come to know bags are not xrayed.

My friend also had her iron confiscated and had to go to the naughty room while they searched her luggage and was told she would get it back at the end of the cruise. They found it because they x-rayed her luggage.

Just got off a 21 day cruise on the Rotterdam, and just made the wine old policy, and took advantage of it!

We brought wine to drink in our stateroom, and to bring to the MDR for corkage fees! It was a big savings for us.

We ALSO put down a cruise future deposit, but now we are not sure we like that new policy, and may just get it back

So we may just go back to Azamara, which we liked, and get free wine with lunch and dinner. We also liked Princess, which I guess also now has that policy!

I am not sure which of the three reasons is my favourite.

But I will say that I am very much looking forward to the new HAL experience.

A less expensive cruise, a healthier cruise , and certainly a more restful cruise -especially on embarkation day.

Edited by iancal

I was surprises by this change as we have received no notice and had planned to bring on wine from Australia when we embarked at Sydney for our South Pacific cruise. Personally I don't drink, but my husband really enjoys sitting on the balcony with a glass before dinner. And a $20 corkage fee is outrageous.

My worry is what else they will start confiscating if brought on board? Bottled water? My personally favorite brand of cocoa? Chocolate bars?

LOL:D Love the E-Coli one, especially as that was posted by someone who brings CHEESE onboard!

I'm now waiting to see what happens when they ban soda and water being brought on, and cartons of cigarettes. Because, of course, you must pay their price and not bring your own.

Begin Sarcasm

I think allowing one bottle of water and one can of soda would be good. I don't bring either aboard, so I guess I would be "happy" if they restricted it so HAL could get more on board revenue. They should drain the pools too, since I don't use them. Think how much better the service would be if staff didn't have to fool around with the pools.

End sarcasm

I was surprises by this change as we have received no notice and had planned to bring on wine from Australia when we embarked at Sydney for our South Pacific cruise. Personally I don't drink, but my husband really enjoys sitting on the balcony with a glass before dinner. And a $20 corkage fee is outrageous.

My worry is what else they will start confiscating if brought on board? Bottled water? My personally favorite brand of cocoa? Chocolate bars?

He can still sit on the balcony with a glass. It just won't have wine in it.

Of course I can't provide proof, but I cas assure you that all bags are not x-rayed at every port. End of subject. Believe what you want to believe.

Thx for letting me know that was the end of the subject. I didn't realize your word was the gospel on that. You might want to advise Hal of your findings:rolleyes:.

My friend also had her iron confiscated and had to go to the naughty room while they searched her luggage and was told she would get it back at the end of the cruise. They found it because they x-rayed her luggage.

I guess that makes two suitcases that were xrayed:D unless this is the same lady.

On RCI they have x-ray scanners to scan all handbaggage when boarding the ship and also after a port day.

My traveling companion had a very small bottle of ouzo in her bag which was picked up and confiscated until disembarkation day.

I am sure the scanners will soon appear on HAL too.