Bringing Unlimited Wine Policy Officially Change Yesterday

LAFFNVEGAS

It seems to me that bringing up a thread from over 1.5 yrs ago with the title "wine policy changing" creates much confusion. I happen to pay corkage on most cruises and happy to do so. I do however check HAL"s policies before each cruise. Just seems like common sense to look at the know before you cruise links.

• 1 month later...
Are we still allowed to bring pop on board? We usually bring a 12 pack for drinking in our room. We still buy plenty when we are out of our room/at the shows (we're on a charter cruise full of Smooth Jazz concerts).

YES and at any port as well.

DaveOKC

I don't feel like reading thru all 72 pages of this thread so....my question - can you bring 1 bottle of wine per person on board from each port, if you so choose or will it be confiscated at the screening area & released at the end of the cruise?

BTW - HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL OF YOU!

I don't feel like reading thru all 72 pages of this thread so....my question - can you bring 1 bottle of wine per person on board from each port, if you so choose or will it be confiscated at the screening area & released at the end of the cruise?

BTW - HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL OF YOU!

You can bring one bottle per person at embarkation without charge for consumption in your stateroom. If you take it out to public areas, you will be charged corkage fee.

You CAN bring on any amount of additional wine you want including in the ports IF you want to pay the corkage fee of $18. Ior have HAL store it for you until the end of the cruise)

The only "free" bottle is at embarkation.

Edited by kazu

This is a thread that is very old. You are allowed 1 750ml bottle per person over 21 in each stateroom to be consumed in the stateroom. You can pay an additional $18 per 750ml bottle (no bottle limit) for those wines you wish to drink in restuarants.

Edited by freestyling
double reply . Sorry Kazu..was replying at same time as you

Thanks, kazu! We bought a bottle of tequila at a stop in Mexico & it wasn't confiscated when we re-boarded...so that's why I wondered about wine.

That was lucky:D.

very lucky:D liquor is normally confiscated and stored for you until the end of the cruise.

• 1 month later...

I am also very disappointed with this new rule. One of the reasons we chose HAL was being able to bring wine on board. We would certainly not be taking a case but we would probably take 2 or 3 bottles each as we are going for 20 days. We will be paying for this trip for some time as we just don't have that kind of money, but this is a special occasion and we have always dreamed of a Panama cruise and felt at our age if we don't do it now we may never be able to get the chance. We just can't afford the prices that they charge for wine or hard liquor. We did an Alaskan cruise 3 years ago and took a bottle of rye and 2 bottles of wine with us. My husband drank beer most of the time which he paid for and I would have two drinks during happy hour but other than that I drank in the room to save money. I know some people have no problem paying for drinks on board but some of us that have to watch every penny to be able to take a cruise just can't. If we go on another cruise I doubt it will be HAL. I will be shopping around and asking other people which cruise line I can get the best value with. This new rule certainly won't make us buy any more than we would have before in fact we will probably drink less. Hal is getting too greedy.

I am also very disappointed with this new rule. One of the reasons we chose HAL was being able to bring wine on board. We would certainly not be taking a case but we would probably take 2 or 3 bottles each as we are going for 20 days. We will be paying for this trip for some time as we just don't have that kind of money, but this is a special occasion and we have always dreamed of a Panama cruise and felt at our age if we don't do it now we may never be able to get the chance. We just can't afford the prices that they charge for wine or hard liquor. We did an Alaskan cruise 3 years ago and took a bottle of rye and 2 bottles of wine with us. My husband drank beer most of the time which he paid for and I would have two drinks during happy hour but other than that I drank in the room to save money. I know some people have no problem paying for drinks on board but some of us that have to watch every penny to be able to take a cruise just can't. If we go on another cruise I doubt it will be HAL. I will be shopping around and asking other people which cruise line I can get the best value with. This new rule certainly won't make us buy any more than we would have before in fact we will probably drink less. Hal is getting too greedy.

Do you know that you can still take 1 bottle per person over the age of 18 and not pay corkage? If you take 3 bottles you will only need to pay corkage on one provided you drink it in your room. Hard liquor is not allowed. When people abuse the policy it leads to change. Hal is a business not a charity. They have to make money somehow since they give away cabins after final for almost free.

I believe most other cruise lines in the mass market arena have similar wine policies.

Do you know that you can still take 1 bottle per person over the age of 18 and not pay corkage?

Just tossing this in.....On our 2/1/2015 NA cruise from Ft. Lauderdale, a friend had his one bottle of wine confiscated and held until the end of the cruise.

When it was returned to him, he knew he couldn't take it home on the plane so he gave it to someone at the Reception/Front Desk who had helped him during the cruise.

Just tossing this in.....On our 2/1/2015 NA cruise from Ft. Lauderdale, a friend had his one bottle of wine confiscated and held until the end of the cruise.

When it was returned to him, he knew he couldn't take it home on the plane so he gave it to someone at the Reception/Front Desk who had helped him during the cruise.

Your friend should have directed whoever confiscated it to HAL's policy on wine allowance.

I like to bring a bottle on board from the different ports of call & we share them with our tables mates after we pay the corkage fees. The way I read this means no more corkage fees, is this correct? If it is that is not good. One way to bring this to HAL attention is when you fill in the survey at the end of the cruise tell HAL about it, if enough people complain it might get them to do something about it.

Allan & Marlane

I like to bring a bottle on board from the different ports of call & we share them with our tables mates after we pay the corkage fees. The way I read this means no more corkage fees, is this correct? If it is that is not good. One way to bring this to HAL attention is when you fill in the survey at the end of the cruise tell HAL about it, if enough people complain it might get them to do something about it.

Allan & Marlane

No need to write to HAL. What you have been doing WAS allowed and STILL IS. The following is from their website:

"Wine and champagne bottles (no larger than 750ml) purchased in ports of call are welcome to be brought onboard subject to a US$18.00 (subject to change) corkage fee each, irrespective of where they are intended to be consumed. Alternatively guests can choose to have these bottles stored and returned on the last evening of the voyage at no charge."

I like to bring a bottle on board from the different ports of call & we share them with our tables mates after we pay the corkage fees. The way I read this means no more corkage fees, is this correct?

The original post is from over a year and a half ago, and this was the original policy. That was rescinded within a couple of days, and eventually replaced with a more liberal policy.

You may bring aboard as many bottles as you can carry both at embarkation and every port. At embarkation one bottle per adult (age 21 or more) is free of corkage charge; all others carry a charge of $18 per bottle.

Any bottle brought to a public area is subject to that corkage charge, if not already paid.