Volendam Alaska cruise - June 2013 with pictures

Wookie01

Thank you for posting the rest of your pictures and labeling them.

We have been on all the tours you mentioned except the Duck Tour.

You were fortunate that when you were in Ketchikan you got to dock down town. On our last 2 cruises -- Amsterdam we were out at pier 4 -- furthest from town.

I opened only one picture, but it was the important one. I'm thrilled to see that the cabin bathroom hasn't been renovated and updated. I have several cruises booked on this ship, and can now look forward to being able to use the electrical outlet in the bath.

Was there no entertainment worth mentioning on this cruise?

Ruth, to be honest we found the entertainment quite amateurish and generally poor. :(

Mostly it was just shows put on by the ship's company, together with things like 'Dancing With The Stars At Sea'.

We did do one show by a magician that was quite entertaining, but compared to our Celebrity Equinox experience we felt the 'entertainment' was of a much lower quality.

What kind of camera/settings did you use ? We are taking a similar flightseeing trip of the glaciers (ours includes a landing) in Juneau.

I love the pictures of the Orcas below the plane.

Hi Kelly and thanks :).

I was using a 10 megapixel Sony Alpha digital SLR, but most of the shots were just on 'point and shoot' auto mode, nothing fancy.

Hope the weather is kind for you, the flight and glacier landing will be awesome.

Thank you for posting the rest of your pictures and labeling them.

We have been on all the tours you mentioned except the Duck Tour.

You were fortunate that when you were in Ketchikan you got to dock down town. On our last 2 cruises -- Amsterdam we were out at pier 4 -- furthest from town.

You're welcome:)

Yes we noticed one of the ships in port was down on that dock and we were thinking that it was quite isolated and a long way from the main area. Hopefully if you return to Ketchikan you will have better luck with your docking berth next time. ;)

Mostly it was just shows put on by the ship's company, together with things like 'Dancing With The Stars At Sea'.

We did do one show by a magician that was quite entertaining,

Yes, it's things like that I would like to know about. Which shows? Who were the headline entertainers? What was the magician's name? Who was playing in the Ocean Bar---Neptunes or HALCats? If it was HALCats, was there a singer? Who was playing in the Piano Lounge? Was it Adagio Strings, or a duo in Explorers Lounge?

Yes, it's things like that I would like to know about. Which shows? Who were the headline entertainers? What was the magician's name? Who was playing in the Ocean Bar---Neptunes or HALCats? If it was HALCats, was there a singer? Who was playing in the Piano Lounge? Was it Adagio Strings, or a duo in Explorers Lounge?

Sorry Ruth but we didn't keep copies of the daily events news and didn't take note of the various names, groups etc.

I seem to think that it was maybe Jenny and the HalCats but not sure??

Wow, those are stunning pics, thank you for sharing.

My family is going soon and are getting so excited. Thank you for the excursion suggestions.

Thanks, you are welcome. I am sure that you will have a great time :)

were on the same deck in a mid-ship balcony cabin (AA6161) on the right (starboard) side.

DSC01416_zpsc41e8eb6.jpg

Balcony Cabin BB6222

DSC01415_zps9e924d92.jpg

Balcony Cabin BB6222

DSC01417_zpsb3711feb.jpg

Bathroom in our cabin

DSC01413_zps823afcd1.jpg

Balcony for BB6222

In the photo of your cabin, do I see red plaid blankets on the shelves above the wine glasses. Did you use those blankets out on the balcony on chilly days?? I have an AA cabin on the Port side next month so am trying to figure out just how much we will be able to use the balcony. Also, I have never had a verandah suite with HAL before, so don't know what 'one touch telephone concierge service' means. Is that who we would call for room service? Also, we have friends travelling in the next cabin. Do you know if HAL will open the partition between the 2 balconies.

Your photos are fabulous.....only hope that we have the same beautiful weather that you had!!!

]

were on the same deck in a mid-ship balcony cabin (AA6161) on the right (starboard) side.

In the photo of your cabin, do I see red plaid blankets on the shelves above the wine glasses. Did you use those blankets out on the balcony on chilly days?? I have an AA cabin on the Port side next month so am trying to figure out just how much we will be able to use the balcony. Also, I have never had a verandah suite with HAL before, so don't know what 'one touch telephone concierge service' means. Is that who we would call for room service? Also, we have friends travelling in the next cabin. Do you know if HAL will open the partition between the 2 balconies.

Your photos are fabulous.....only hope that we have the same beautiful weather that you had!!!

]

Yes they are picnic-style blankets.

Used them once or twice on the balcony but fortunately for us it wasn't really cold enough to need them most of the time.

Yes the 'one touch' is for room service, cabin requests etc.

Not sure whether they will open the balcony partition, just check with your steward when you board the ship :)

The friends that travelled with us were in 'your cabin', AA6161. :)

Hard to say how much you will be able to use your balcony as it is very much determined by the weather conditions that you encounter.

We did spend quite a bit of time on the bow, and also the observation deck on level 6 above the main bow area. But it was really nice to be able to gaze at Margerie Glacier from the comfort of our balcony also.

Don't let the weather determine your holiday enjoyment though. We went with the philosophy that we expected the weather to be cloudy and rainy, anything else would be a bonus.

I hope you enjoy Alaska as much as we did, and take advantage of some excursions while there as they really add to the experience.

Yes they are picnic-style blankets.

Used them once or twice on the balcony but fortunately for us it wasn't really cold enough to need them most of the time.

Yes the 'one touch' is for room service, cabin requests etc.

Not sure whether they will open the balcony partition, just check with your steward when you board the ship :)

The friends that travelled with us were in 'your cabin', AA6161. :)

Hard to say how much you will be able to use your balcony as it is very much determined by the weather conditions that you encounter.

We did spend quite a bit of time on the bow, and also the observation deck on level 6 above the main bow area. But it was really nice to be able to gaze at Margerie Glacier from the comfort of our balcony also.

Don't let the weather determine your holiday enjoyment though. We went with the philosophy that we expected the weather to be cloudy and rainy, anything else would be a bonus.

I hope you enjoy Alaska as much as we did, and take advantage of some excursions while there as they really add to the experience.

Thank you so much for answering my questions. I see that you are from Melbourne, one of my favourite cities:) As far as the weather in Alaska is concerned, I'm with you, it is going to be beautiful no matter what.....and if it does rain, I can always show your photos as my own!!!! I'm Canadian, so the temperature won't be an issue!!

Good news about using our balcony to enjoy Margerie Glacier. I hear that HAL doesn't serve pea soup on deck any more, so maybe we'll just have to order it from room service:):)

Thanks once again for sharing your fabulous photos.

Hi JamesEM and maysdot, thanks for the compliments.

I was busy taking photos on the Deck 6 observation deck overlooking the bow so I didn't have the hot offering on the bow in Glacier Bay, but I think it was hot chocolate rather than pea soup - not sure though. :)

Edited by Wookie01

On both our cruises we have used open dining and for us it is the only way to go.

Total flexibility to fit in with your plans, no worrying about missing your set dining time, no problems with excursions getting back after early dinner has started etc etc.

You can opt for a table by yourselves or to sit with others so you have flexibility in this as well - we would not consider fixed dining.

Enjoy your cruise :)

Thank you for a fabulous review and absolutely incredible pictures.

Beautiful to follow along with. Well done.

Thanks so much and welcome home:D

You are very welcome :)

Prior to our cruise I got a lot from reading other people's posts on CC, it seemed only fair to put up my experiences and photos as a small repayment for the generosity of others :)

• 3 months later...

Hi really enjoyed your postings re alaska cruise we go April 2014 & hope to see the sights that you saw, info re trips is very helpful & comments re Volendam worth noting, if I need more info can I contact you?

this cruise is part of a package- Heart of the Canadian rockies & Alaska cruise booked with Cosmos/Archers

Flora

Edited by flojo1flojo1
more info